Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-12-10, 00:34   Link #121
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I didn't know 30 year olds can be embarrassed with holding hands.
That can be explained by morimori's way of thinking that nobody could possibly have any interest in her because she's an elite NEET, that and probably also because she hasn't had this experience before.

But then again, we've seen her before all this as a competent office lady, so it doesn't really follow that just a few months of being a MMO gamer would wipe away years of built up confidence in herself as a office worker that easily.

Holding hands in public shouldn't be that embarrassing for these two though, even if you're a 30 year old woman and a 28 year old man with no romantic experience at all.

All in all, it was a nice series, despite all the improbable coincidences and other minor complaints that I had
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 01:00   Link #122
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

That's because they know that HAND HOLDING is a depraved and degenerate act that leads people away from God's light.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 01:17   Link #123
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I didn't know 30 year olds can be embarrassed with holding hands.

But that was cute. I'm kind of disappointed it ended right after they asked each other out though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
That can be explained by morimori's way of thinking that nobody could possibly have any interest in her because she's an elite NEET, that and probably also because she hasn't had this experience before.

But then again, we've seen her before all this as a competent office lady, so it doesn't really follow that just a few months of being a MMO gamer would wipe away years of built up confidence in herself as a office worker that easily.

Holding hands in public shouldn't be that embarrassing for these two though, even if you're a 30 year old woman and a 28 year old man with no romantic experience at all.

All in all, it was a nice series, despite all the improbable coincidences and other minor complaints that I had
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
That's because they know that HAND HOLDING is a depraved and degenerate act that leads people away from God's light.
well it have more to do with japan being the country of "shy peoples, remember we are talking about the country with "low birth rates" low engagement rates, where more and more "males are become "herbivore and too shy and too into "moe and otaku" and 2d girls and falling in love with they "right or left hands" or some "toys" or game girls because they are "much more easy than real life", real life sux too much to have a "real romance", then that is why we have so crap romance in anime/mangas/novels because romance in japan is become crap, with the "ultra shy peoples group grow more and more as time pass.
Old 2017-12-10, 04:36   Link #124
kuromitsu

Wait, wait. They're not being embarrassed because they're holding hands in public. They're being embarrassed because this is the first time they're acknowledging their relationship as romantic. I mean at that point Sakurai hadn't even managed to get a confession out, and just a few minutes earlier they were insisting that no, this wasn't a date, they're Just Friends even though it was so obviously a date. (And yes, sometimes these things are a bit embarrassing even if you're 30... especially for people so awkward as these two.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 09:50   Link #125
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I find Morioka's character implausible. She's thirty but seems to have no friends of any kind. None from school; none from her prior job. She's attractive and intelligent yet she seems never to have gone on a date before. Regardless of Japanese culture, she seems more a fictional construct than an actual person.

Do you think that Sakurai would no longer have Koiwai-san as a friend if Sakurai left his job? I don't.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 11:23   Link #126
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I find Morioka's character implausible. She's thirty but seems to have no friends of any kind. None from school; none from her prior job. She's attractive and intelligent yet she seems never to have gone on a date before. Regardless of Japanese culture, she seems more a fictional construct than an actual person.
She's not implausible at all - I personally know people like her (some are even Japanese) and as a fairly introverted person with a demanding job I can very much relate to that aspect of her situation.

She's 30 but has no friends - more common than you'd think. For one, she's obviously very introverted and not social at all, and doesn't really have much of a life (which likely contributed heavily to her complete burn-out that led to her becoming a NEET). This is not a rare phenomenon at all, and when you're in such a situation you don't really have opportunities to develop and cultivate friendships. (Hell, personally I don't really have friendships that survived from school/previous jobs, all of my meaningful friendships come from other areas of my life. And my current job is so demanding that it's sometimes a struggle to maintain them.)

She's attractive and intelligent but has no romantic experience - again, more common than you'd think. I mean, she clearly has a very low self-esteem and doesn't regard herself as attractive or intelligent. And not having a social life she doesn't have the kind of friendly/social feedback that would help her realize that she's actually attractive/intelligent. And considering that she had lived for her work for so long and has no life otherwise, she obviously hasn't had opportunities for dating/romance for a long time. I don't think she has zero experience btw, but it's not like people are always in relationships or looking to be in one - she's probably just doesn't have much experience and as such not used to the whole romance thing.

This show is a comedy, but when you think about it, Moriko's situation is not comedic at all, and I appreciate that the show wasn't trying to show it as such (aside of the obviously comedic situations arising from living as a NEET). There's obviously a lot going on behind her decision to basically quit life as such - maybe the manga goes into more details, but going by what we have in the show I think it's clear that she has a number of issues that she needs to overcome.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 11:54   Link #127
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't find either of their characters remotely implausible, especially in a country where young people are increasingly avoiding traditional long-term romantic relationships.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 12:29   Link #128
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
She's not implausible at all - I personally know people like her (some are even Japanese) and as a fairly introverted person with a demanding job I can very much relate to that aspect of her situation.

She's 30 but has no friends - more common than you'd think. For one, she's obviously very introverted and not social at all, and doesn't really have much of a life (which likely contributed heavily to her complete burn-out that led to her becoming a NEET). This is not a rare phenomenon at all, and when you're in such a situation you don't really have opportunities to develop and cultivate friendships. (Hell, personally I don't really have friendships that survived from school/previous jobs, all of my meaningful friendships come from other areas of my life. And my current job is so demanding that it's sometimes a struggle to maintain them.)

She's attractive and intelligent but has no romantic experience - again, more common than you'd think. I mean, she clearly has a very low self-esteem and doesn't regard herself as attractive or intelligent. And not having a social life she doesn't have the kind of friendly/social feedback that would help her realize that she's actually attractive/intelligent. And considering that she had lived for her work for so long and has no life otherwise, she obviously hasn't had opportunities for dating/romance for a long time. I don't think she has zero experience btw, but it's not like people are always in relationships or looking to be in one - she's probably just doesn't have much experience and as such not used to the whole romance thing.

This show is a comedy, but when you think about it, Moriko's situation is not comedic at all, and I appreciate that the show wasn't trying to show it as such (aside of the obviously comedic situations arising from living as a NEET). There's obviously a lot going on behind her decision to basically quit life as such - maybe the manga goes into more details, but going by what we have in the show I think it's clear that she has a number of issues that she needs to overcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't find either of their characters remotely implausible, especially in a country where young people are increasingly avoiding traditional long-term romantic relationships.
yeah, they really represent the "general/overal" japanese currently general "issue", yeah neet and specially shut-in are a big issue in japan, japaneses are become less and less "sociable" and less and less like to want relationship because they are "too busy" already with they "marriage with they jobs" and "personal life", japan is really passing for big troubles with the low birth rates and lack of relationships, also with the "big number" of suicide rates and peoples become neet and shut in, also less and less peoples are looking for "normal time or long time jobs" and look more for part-time jobs to have more time for themselfs, japanese mindset currently overal is big fucked, because they have that "workhalic nature" where they "marry with job" and start to ignore family and at same time wanting to have more "time to themselfs at the sacrifice of instead of job they sacrifice "family".

Yeah some peoples must really do more research and look about japan and specially they issues, then things like "penisless", coward, dense, tsundere, dojiko/dumb girls" start to make a "lot of sense", when you start to look for the reason why that cliches are so common and how they really are "common" in the country.

In the beginner i had the same issue of can't believe why the big majority of "romance" in japan is soo crownded with that cliches and "crap things", but after start to look more into they culture and they issues is when i started to understand which they actually make sense and i really feel bad for the dark future and possible extintion of a culture due to they own problem of lack of "balance".

And to be clear i know which that sort of personality is not "exclusive on japan" and you can find peopls like morioka and lilie outside japan it's "normal to find that peoples" but is on japan where that "peoples" become a really big issue for the country and is leading then to "disappear" if the govern can't find a way to "re-educate the japaneses and they "crazy mind set".
Old 2017-12-11, 16:36   Link #129
ArrowSmith

Hand holding is ELITE level for normal humans, not NEETs. So stop bullying Morioka.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 22:53   Link #130
ArrowSmith

Loved the OVA, too bad Sakurai & Moriko can't do the nasty.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-16, 02:04   Link #131
Psyco Diver

First half was nice, the second was kinda meh. I am looking forward to more though
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-16, 03:47   Link #132
Ulin

It's nice, but I was hoping for something more, since there won't probably be anymore ovas or a 2º season. I mean, I was expecting a real life reunion with Kanbe, or maybe some more clear advances in their relationship, but well, we have to take what we can
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-16, 08:46   Link #133
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I actually found the concept of the isekai version of Morioka & co. to be pretty nice . The jokes were a bit run of the mill, but yeah. With better comedic writing this could be a spinoff .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-16, 22:05   Link #134
Kadmos1
≠epic failure

One thing I like about the simuldub (for those other than me here that are watching it) is that our male is voiced by Josh Grelle, who is typecast in harems. Heck, "Freezing" and "Linebarrels" are the 2 other series where his character's girlfriend is voiced by Mamiko Noto in the Japanese.
Old 2017-12-21, 18:40   Link #135
Ghostfriendly

Didn't finish this series. By ep 6 it seemed like Moriko was less the hoped-for independent NEET rejecting mainstream society, than a fragile Mills and Boon heroine, needing men to walk on the road side and protect her when she gets tipsy. Cringeworthy.

Moriko's fragility, and her own statements, also implies that, rather than being unsatisfied with a soulless corporate workplace, she left her job because she couldn't take the pressure. In short, that women should look for a man instead of a high-level job. Lovely.

Koiwai, btw, proves that if a nice guy constantly acts like a berk, he will be disliked by at least one viewer as a berk.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 13:03   Link #136
ScrewySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Didn't finish this series. By ep 6 it seemed like Moriko was less the hoped-for independent NEET rejecting mainstream society, than a fragile Mills and Boon heroine, needing men to walk on the road side and protect her when she gets tipsy. Cringeworthy.

Moriko's fragility, and her own statements, also implies that, rather than being unsatisfied with a soulless corporate workplace, she left her job because she couldn't take the pressure. In short, that women should look for a man instead of a high-level job. Lovely.

Koiwai, btw, proves that if a nice guy constantly acts like a berk, he will be disliked by at least one viewer as a berk.
I think you're overgeneralizing. Moriko clearly suffered a nervous breakdown from exhaustion and overwork, being stuck at her job for 16 hours a day for months (plus commute time). Given that she had not logged in to her old MMO (where she first met and became friends with Sakurai) at all in "Half a year" because she apparently had no time to game shoudl say how long she was being overworked. There are stories of salarymen dying at their desksm, which is exactly where Moriko was headed if she didn't quit.

Its less that Moriko couldn't hack it and more that her office was soul crushing. Even she said that if iher co-workers and office environment was more like Koiwai and Sakurai, she likely would never have had that breakdown.
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 18:14   Link #137
Alhazred

There is even a term for this sort of office environment in Japan: black companies. There shouldn't be any shame pinned to baling on a gig like that. Those places generally don't provide any upward mobility anyway, so even if she'd stayed it's unlikely that she'd have gotten anywhere, and the aforementioned breakdown would have been another factor precluding her from switching to a better company (on top of all the other roadblocks that black companies tend to put in the way.)

The part about Sakurai and Koiwai walking on the street side was less about her actually needing protection and more a chivalrous gesture. Regardless of viewers' opinions on chivalry in the modern age, Moriko was meant to notice it because it drew attention to the fact that they were treating her as a woman- something she'd assumed they would not do because of her slovenly appearance and NEET status.

Basically, her quitting was not a shameful act in that context, and her current straits don't diminish her in the eyes of many of the people she meets. This show was the process of her friends helping her to realize that.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 20:41   Link #138
Xical
Phantom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
There is even a term for this sort of office environment in Japan: black companies. There shouldn't be any shame pinned to baling on a gig like that. Those places generally don't provide any upward mobility anyway, so even if she'd stayed it's unlikely that she'd have gotten anywhere, and the aforementioned breakdown would have been another factor precluding her from switching to a better company (on top of all the other roadblocks that black companies tend to put in the way.)

The part about Sakurai and Koiwai walking on the street side was less about her actually needing protection and more a chivalrous gesture. Regardless of viewers' opinions on chivalry in the modern age, Moriko was meant to notice it because it drew attention to the fact that they were treating her as a woman- something she'd assumed they would not do because of her slovenly appearance and NEET status.

Basically, her quitting was not a shameful act in that context, and her current straits don't diminish her in the eyes of many of the people she meets. This show was the process of her friends helping her to realize that.
I always thought the name Morioka Moriko was a homage for Mina Mori
Old 2017-12-22, 23:32   Link #139
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
You're projecting.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 11:33   Link #140
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So what is "Episode AR" anyway? Is it just the storyboards plus the voice acting? Were we supposed to understand the superimposed codes like SE? Since it only replays the first episode, there is no new content. Why was this released?

From watching Shirobako, I suspected that numbers in the upper right-hand corner were "cuts," though they varied in length considerably.

Since the voices were recorded, is this an example of what seiyuu look at while performing?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmorpg