AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 62 53.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 29.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 9.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.86%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-14, 19:56   Link #121
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Well... not to sound like oversimplify what you are trying to tell but from what I gather, you basically are saying that the preview from last episode for this one reveals too much; and despite the goodness it delivers (well, to many, although not to you, apparently), the fight lacks suspense and momentum. Or maybe, what you are referring is that the fight lacks "something" to make you think "what happen next?"

I still have yet to watch this episode... damn Internet connection always disconnect <.<

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-01-14, 20:23   Link #122
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post

Spoiler for Fight 13:
Actually it was something like this

Spoiler for Fight 13:
Old 2008-01-14, 20:31   Link #123
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Actually it was something like this

Spoiler for Fight 13:
Cut out everything after the knockout. That's not part of the fight material, it's the post-fight material. Maybe it's plot for the episode, but I'm arguing that the fight had not plot. I also combined the silver flame with the Fuzetsu, as that is the same plot event. I also combined the weakening/thwarting, as that is also the same plot event. I'm also 50/50 on whether the killing of the girlfriend and Tanaka's opening of the eyes is the same event or not.
Regardless, combining details into the events they were a part of, it's a much shorter list.
Old 2008-01-14, 20:50   Link #124
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

I really don't care, to tell you the truth. I really liked the fight but I'm with you on the fact that most of the plot came after the fight
Old 2008-01-14, 22:20   Link #125
lua thien
Fallen Exile

Looks like a flaw was made in the episode. Satou and Eita didn't have blue insignias around them while in the Fuzetsu.
Old 2008-01-14, 23:23   Link #126
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lua thien View Post
Looks like a flaw was made in the episode. Satou and Eita didn't have blue insignias around them while in the Fuzetsu.
I never really cared for that, it was ugly. If they can move, they can move, they don't need something like that to distinguish them apart from the people who move because of hougus (Yuji, Yoshida) and the people whom are Crimson World-related.
Old 2008-01-15, 00:09   Link #127
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Here let me simplify that list for you guys even more

1. Tornado
2. No tornado.
3. Symmetrical docking.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-01-15, 00:55   Link #128
Aquifina

I've been persuaded by this thread that I was overly hard on the episode. The long lay-off raised expectations too high for me; I probably need to find the time to properly see it again to appreciate it.
Old 2008-01-15, 01:11   Link #129
The Real Nemo

Quote:
Cut out everything after the knockout. That's not part of the fight material, it's the post-fight material. Maybe it's plot for the episode, but I'm arguing that the fight had not plot. I also combined the silver flame with the Fuzetsu, as that is the same plot event. I also combined the weakening/thwarting, as that is also the same plot event. I'm also 50/50 on whether the killing of the girlfriend and Tanaka's opening of the eyes is the same event or not.
Regardless, combining details into the events they were a part of, it's a much shorter list.
Sometimes a fight can be just a fight, like was pointed out neither Pheles or Marjory were really thinking about strategy at the time.
Old 2008-01-15, 04:58   Link #130
Xhokhusmak

I'm trying my best not to say "owned" but...

Spoiler:

this is the most gruesome death of the entire series.
Old 2008-01-15, 05:20   Link #131
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Actually, the anime is the first I've ever seen of Shana.
Whoops, sorry for the assumption then.

Quote:
That last passage reminded me of Haruhi. Heh.

Quote:
But in all seriousness, I guess everything is plot, and I'm just arguing that this is very hollow and boring plot. To me, it was just reiterating everything we already knew, save that something is wrong with the Reiju Maigu.
Okay, I can hardly argue whether you found the plot boring or not. Having you aknowledge that there is plot is enough 'victory' for me.

Quote:
Spoiler for Twins arc:

Granted, I misplaced some things and got some little details wrong, since I haven't seen that in a while. But, here is the plot of this last fight:
Spoiler for Fight 13:

Anything after that is plot in the story, as the fight was over.
Ah, that explains a few of our misconceptions. You see, what you just described is not what I call plot, I call that battle choreography. Plot is something that adds to the story as a whole, something that has longer term effects, but things like Shana's sword being taken doesn't really affect the plot in any way.

In terms of battle choreography, more happened in the twins fight, yes. But then the twins fight was also much longer.

Quote:
I would be shocked, as would anyone, to see that. However, after realizing that it's just an imaginary world and everything will be restored to the way it used to be, I wouldn't continue to go beserk. Rather, I'd keep a calm demeanor and wait it out.
When was the last time we saw Tanaka keeping a calm demeanor? For someone like him, the reaction was perfectly natural.

Quote:
Note that this is going to sound sarcastic, but I honestly do not mean it to be.
I'm sorry. I kind of forgot that ASuki isn't like the other boards I've been to, where people tended to argue with me just because they wanted to argue with me so that they could trip me up on one little thing and use it to discredit my entire argument. I'm just not really used to having an argument to somebody who actually believes their side of the story, rather than trying to play the devil's advocate in order to make me feel terrible. For my accusations, I'm sorry.
No offense taken, don't worry about it.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-01-15 at 07:28.
Old 2008-01-15, 08:22   Link #132
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Whoops, sorry for the assumption then.

Okay, I can hardly argue whether you found the plot boring or not. Having you aknowledge that there is plot is enough 'victory' for me.
Heh. All stories have plot, it's just some can be really hollow and repetitive.

Quote:
Ah, that explains a few of our misconceptions. You see, what you just described is not what I call plot, I call that battle choreography. Plot is something that adds to the story as a whole, something that has longer term effects, but things like Shana's sword being taken doesn't really affect the plot in any way.

In terms of battle choreography, more happened in the twins fight, yes. But then the twins fight was also much longer.
Heh, yeah, that's what I've been arguing the entire time. "The plot of the battle". AKA, what happens between the point where the fight starts, and where it ends.

Quote:
When was the last time we saw Tanaka keeping a calm demeanor? For someone like him, the reaction was perfectly natural.

No offense taken, don't worry about it.
I've seen him react calmly a lot. It's just that the reaction after knowing that everything was in the Fuzetsu ready to be fixed was completely unnatural. It was like trying to pour yourself a bowl of cereal, missing the bowl, and then feeling upset that you wouldn't get any breakfast, even though you can easily just pick it off the table and put it back in the bowl.

Also, just a note on the series as a whole. I'm surprised they haven't brought Oga or Ike into the world of the story, keeping them oblivious to it. Like, I thought they might be torched somewhere along the way, or told the truth like Yoshida...
Old 2008-01-15, 11:40   Link #133
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
I've seen him react calmly a lot. It's just that the reaction after knowing that everything was in the Fuzetsu ready to be fixed was completely unnatural. It was like trying to pour yourself a bowl of cereal, missing the bowl, and then feeling upset that you wouldn't get any breakfast, even though you can easily just pick it off the table and put it back in the bowl.
Oh come on, if you see someone you care deeply about get an arm and a leg ripped off, then regardless of the situation you're going to freak out and panic. You're confusing a logical reaction with a natural one, humans are in most situations not very logical at all. Tanaka's reaction was very natural.

Last edited by Tokkan; 2008-01-15 at 21:09.
Old 2008-01-15, 12:02   Link #134
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

To take this thread away from the engaging debate and go on a lighter note for a while:

Does anyone find it hilarious at the end when Shana is surrounded and photographed by all the guys? Even though it is a school festival, such zealous flashing away is as though they're in some anime convention cosplay event.

And this has got to be the episode with the most panty shots I've seen since the last episode of Series I and the Movie, even Oga-chan gets some fan-service shots while being tossed by Margery's fireball.
Old 2008-01-15, 12:17   Link #135
Machina

How did I not notice the panty shots?
Old 2008-01-15, 15:52   Link #136
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
To take this thread away from the engaging debate and go on a lighter note for a while:

Does anyone find it hilarious at the end when Shana is surrounded and photographed by all the guys? Even though it is a school festival, such zealous flashing away is as though they're in some anime convention cosplay event.

And this has got to be the episode with the most panty shots I've seen since the last episode of Series I and the Movie, even Oga-chan gets some fan-service shots while being tossed by Margery's fireball.
HA i was so involved with the actual plot that whole series of scenes slipped my mind nice call. But yes there were quite a few panty shots in this one episode and WTF who the hell were those guys and why were they on school grounds. It looked like a Cosplay convention.
Old 2008-01-15, 20:28   Link #137
DX HBK
I'm the Showstopper!

I don't know if having fanservice while people getting killed in the Fuzetsu is a good combination.
Old 2008-01-15, 22:29   Link #138
MidoriHiME

THIS is Shana at its best. Absolutely awesome fight - 10/10 for me. It was worth waiting through 12 episodes of filler for this. I can't wait to see how things develop from here~

And for the record, I didn't even notice the panty shots.
Old 2008-01-16, 00:48   Link #139
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

This episode was amazing. Too bad it felt kinda short... before I realized it the episode was already over. Definitely want more.

The soundtrack was good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machina View Post
How did I not notice the panty shots?
Hmmm, even after reading this before watching this episode, I didn't notice any panty shots either

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-01-16, 01:24   Link #140
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Hmmm, even after reading this before watching this episode, I didn't notice any panty shots either
There was a panty shot?
Closed Thread