AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 123 72.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 14.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 9.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-18, 15:07   Link #241
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They aren't contracted. They've been drafted. Worse case scenario, the UN Spacy demands to have more direct oversight and control of the SMS's operations, and considering how they seem to be top-heavy with paperwork, the series would be over before they actually get it.
Or else they tell SMS 'fire the idiot, or we fire you'. They're under a contract to the Frontier government - Subsection B merely says that, like any soldiers serving in time of war, they can't quit until the conflict is declared over. They can retire if they've served their time, they can get discharged for various reasons... but they can't resign.

Still, Alto REALLY needs to stop blowing up his fighters. SMS isn't made of money, no matter what he thinks. Otherwise, how will he get his upgrade? This isn't a Gundam series, where they reward you for screwing up...
Old 2008-05-18, 15:26   Link #242
SymphonicRain

That's capitalism for you. I think the SMS can afford to break their toys.
Old 2008-05-18, 16:08   Link #243
Errantkael

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
That's capitalism for you. I think the SMS can afford to break their toys.
Agreed, and I think that Luca is worth quite a bit more than a Valk.
We would be lost without a shota...
Old 2008-05-18, 16:26   Link #244
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Still, Alto REALLY needs to stop blowing up his fighters. SMS isn't made of money, no matter what he thinks. Otherwise, how will he get his upgrade? This isn't a Gundam series, where they reward you for screwing up...
That remains to be seen. I keep hearing how different Macross is, how there aren't "Super-mecha" or ace pilots, but I'm not really seeing it, especially after this last episode.
Old 2008-05-18, 16:29   Link #245
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
That remains to be seen. I keep hearing how different Macross is, how there aren't "Super-mecha" or ace pilots, but I'm not really seeing it, especially after this last episode.
There are 'super' mecha.. but they're usually upgrades of existing ones - like when the Super packs first came out for the VF-1 back in the original Macross; big improvements, but nothing that makes the pilot godly. Just... tougher, as Ozma proved when he pulled that Itano Circus with his Armor pack. Ditto ace pilots, like Max Jenius... but they're not usually the stars of the series, unlike Gundam.
Old 2008-05-18, 16:56   Link #246
SymphonicRain

So far, the only noteworthy Ace pilots in Macross Frontier would be Ozma and KK.

Alto remains as a newbie that even Ozma ordered Alto to only follow after him instead of taking the front lines the Pixie Squadron did. Though he does display natural flight talents as in episode 4: Mikhael deliberately set the difficulty of the flight simulation to the hardest mode and Alto managing to gun down one of the Pixie members during the mock training exercise. But in all, our protagonist has yet to prove himself as an Ace. Even more so he was defeated by just two yellow bugs.

Luca's role is apparently strictly support so far and his plane's outfitting clearly shows it. There is nothing "Ace" like about it.

Mikhael's role is also a support as we only witnessed him engaging enemies from long range as a sniper role. Not close to the typical mecha "Ace" definition.

So that leaves only Ozma who had been stealing the spotlights in all combat scenes whenever he is present and KK, who fought with Alto without getting hit once while managing to hit him. Note that Alto's VF-25 had Super pack outfitting against KK's Que and that itself displayed KK's superior performance against him. I suspect the battle would last reasonably fast if KK uses all available armaments of her Que (Missles X Many especially).

As for the "Super-mecha" concern, as far as I know the VFs in the Macross series are never considered as one. As Hae mentioned, the VFs only receive upgrades over time in forms of Super Packs or Powered Armor. Nothing drastic like Gundam Seed's. Only the Macross ships itself had always been distinguished as the "Super-mecha". Though as we had witnessed, Macross 1/4 had taken one step further closer to being a Super Robot in its presentation in this series.
Old 2008-05-18, 17:39   Link #247
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Well tecnically , you are an ace pilot when you get 5 down, but this is a show and the hero must survive, and i don ' t count the armor pack VF-25 as a super mecha it has more fire power and can stand a little more
Old 2008-05-18, 17:42   Link #248
Wesley84

We'll have to wait and see. I do think this last battle was really out of line with the previous ones, and not just the duration or the number of characters involved. Hopefully it won't remain that way.
Old 2008-05-18, 21:24   Link #249
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

as far as i know Max and Mylene is Ace Pilot, also DD Ivanov and Roy Fokker. And w don't need another super mech here. Enough with Gundam!
Old 2008-05-18, 21:29   Link #250
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
as far as i know Max and Mylene is Ace Pilot, also DD Ivanov and Roy Fokker. And w don't need another super mech here. Enough with Gundam!
You meant Milia and Max. Mylene, being their daughter, never shot down an enemy.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-18, 21:49   Link #251
ReddyRedWolf

Piloting is in the blood of the Jenius sisters as one can pilot a Valkyrie and the other pilots a Quadralunn.

The two we've seen are also rockers.

Funny since Max and Millia doesn't seem to be hyppie parents.

Makes me wnder if we'll see another Jenius child in Macross.

Maybe Komalia Maria. Fortunately Meltrandi ages gracefully as shown by both Milia and Chlore.

Hmm... Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if Ranka turns out to be a Jenius grandchild. (Just don't call Millia Obaasan)
Old 2008-05-19, 00:07   Link #252
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
You heard wrongly, Macross is a case of the main character not being the best pilot (like it is in every Gundam show) not that there are no ace pilots at all. Max, Millia and Roy were better than Hikaru in the original series. Ozma, Klan and probably Michael are better than Alto in Frontier.
Old 2008-05-19, 00:41   Link #253
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
You heard wrongly, Macross is a case of the main character not being the best pilot (like it is in every Gundam show) not that there are no ace pilots at all. Max, Millia and Roy were better than Hikaru in the original series. Ozma, Klan and probably Michael are better than Alto in Frontier.
IŽd dispute Roy, but you are right with Max and Miriya ( I like the Robotech names better. Miriya Parino, Breetai Tul, Khyron Kravsheera... now that were interesting sounding names. ). In fact, I think Max was the best pilot *ever* of all the ones seen in the different Macross series.
Old 2008-05-19, 01:49   Link #254
osmium
of high density

Quote:
You know, I could bring in the whole 'in a real military, when you trash a plane - whether it's pilot error or equipment failure, they hold a court martial' line... but since this is anime, I won't.

Even if there's a government footing a bill, always losing your plane usually means losing your piloting job.
Just making a comment in line with the general concept as put forth above.

They are testing the VF-25 in combat conditions. Knowing how well it handles damage, and how far it can go and still be functional would be a part of that. How detrimental it is to the outfit is the greater concern. The people with the money making these things and asking SMS to test them are probably ecstatic over Alto and all the awesome data his personal black box comes back with (as test fighters I assume there are a number of redundant black box systems each holding the data of that flight). Now SMS might be angry if they're down a plane and the makers aren't supplying new ones in time... However I think the situation is probably more that the manufacturer has more planes on hand than they have pilots good enough and trustworthy enough to fly them.

Also seeing how they put them back together after sustaining damage is an important consideration, so I'm sure they've got cameras and personnel in on the repair process to access how the vf-25 goes back together.

-O
Old 2008-05-19, 06:10   Link #255
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
You know, I could bring in the whole 'in a real military, when you trash a plane - whether it's pilot error or equipment failure, they hold a court martial' line... but since this is anime, I won't. Except that I do expect Ozma to chew him out again, just as he got chewed out in Episode 4 for 'wrecking valuable equipment'. Again.
It is also worth pointing out, however, that Alto lost his plane engaging in a completely valid military imperative: he was attempting to recover another plane that had been captured intact by the enemy and rescue its pilot. Even though Alto lost his plane, he did manage to rescue Luca and assisted in clearing the way for the Quarter to gun down the enemy carrier. The mission was a complete success and he doubtlessly saved the life of a fellow pilot. Even if he was fully court-martialed, no human court in the universe would give him more than a slap on the wrist for saving his fellow soldier.
Old 2008-05-19, 07:43   Link #256
Wesley84

Yes, I'm sure the VF-27 will ultimately be defeated because of a design flaw, a flaw Alto manages to discover and fix in the VF-25, that the pilot automatically and unconciously compensated for.
Old 2008-05-19, 07:59   Link #257
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure the VF-27 will ultimately be defeated because of a design flaw, a flaw Alto manages to discover and fix in the VF-25, that the pilot automatically and unconciously compensated for.
Not that one again.

I would think that particular flaw should be solved by now.
Old 2008-05-19, 08:04   Link #258
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Not that one again.

I would think that particular flaw should be solved by now.
I know I've heard it somewhere, but was not aware it was also in Macross?
Old 2008-05-19, 09:28   Link #259
ReddyRedWolf

I'm not thinking what you're thinking and you're not thinking what I'm thinking, Are we?

Oh Fine...
Spoiler for Tech spoilers: Macross Plus:
Old 2008-05-19, 10:14   Link #260
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

ok... i broke down and watched the raw (cries for my subs )

was great loved every bit (though the ranka's stomach glowing thing kinda creped me out.).

Gotta go back and read these pages that I was avoiding for spoiler :P

--edit in--

ok I think there's a price to pay for piloting the Macross 1/4, it makes you so Gar you end up gay when you're not piloting :P. Seriously though, Bobby was great in this. The transformation of the 1/4 makes a lot more sense than the previous ones. I really can't wait to see it in action again .

As far as Alto goes, yes he lost his plane but recovering Luca and his VF has ends up being a win. The data that the VF probably recorded while inside the cap ship will probably make up the difference for Alto losing his. Not to mention Luca is supposedly from a rich family with ties to the tech sector. I can't imagine what kind of gifts they give to SMS to make sure their son is ok.

As far as the VF-27 is concerned... seem kinda super robot is right now, my guess is that singing will break it's super hax :P.

Last edited by squaresphere; 2008-05-19 at 10:41.
Closed Thread