AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-30, 20:26   Link #1
bobber205

Making Fansubs Play on a Dvd

I am currently in a struggle to find out what's the best/most file efficient way to put fansubs onto dvds for bigger screen viewing.

I know this isn't directly related to fansubs but you guys are frickin' experts with this encoding stuff. I am lost right now.

Thanks!
bobber205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 21:27   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the most efficient way is to plug your computer into a HDMI LCD TV or run dual monitors with a S-video output going to a standard TV.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 06:53   Link #3
Gundam Master

Send a message via AIM to Gundam Master
i think he wants to play them off a dvd player not a second monitor.
Gundam Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 07:06   Link #4
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Master View Post
i think he wants to play them off a dvd player not a second monitor.
Yes, and that can't be done (unless you feel like re-encoding, loosing quality and crippling yourself), so Potatochobit gave him a very good advice.
Old 2007-07-31, 07:56   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you have a DVD player with DivX/XviD support, it'll play fansubs in the XviD/AVI format. No players I know of support Matroska or Ogg containers, or H.264 encodings. Shows in the traditional 4:3 aspect ratio might clip the subtitles at the bottom of the screen. There's no solution for that other than re-encoding the video or trying to futz with the vertical height of your TV's picture. Newer 16:9 widescreen shows don't have a problem with the subtitles, but you'll be clipping off a (smallish) portion of the right and left sides of the image. Once again you'd need to re-encode to fit the full image horizontally, but you should watch a few shows first to see if you find the cropping a problem. Usually it doesn't bother me enough to re-encode.

If you want to convert anime subs into normal DVDs that will work in any player, you need to read this thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 21:32   Link #6
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
No players I know of support Matroska or Ogg containers, or H.264 encodings. Shows in the traditional 4:3 aspect ratio might clip the subtitles at the bottom of the screen. There's no solution for that other than re-encoding the video or trying to futz with the vertical height of your TV's picture.
Actually, an HD-DVD or BluRay player can play mpeg4 h.264, not that you or I would probably have one at this point. The subtitle cutting off is not a problem if you have a DVD player with incremental zoom. As for HD anime content, yea, you'd really be better off going DVI or DVI-to-HDMI to your HDTV right now.
Old 2007-07-31, 22:45   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For some reason the zoom function on my LG player doesn't seem to work with AVI files. I figured it had something to do with how normal DVDs are written, but maybe I should check my manual again.

I'll happily take your suggestions about what to do with HD content when I actually own an HDTV I'll probably take the plunge in the next year or so when 1080p sets have seen another round of price cutting.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 23:12   Link #8
bobber205

I've gave the script you linked to a good go but it doesn't feel like working.

I installed the Xvid codec it recommended even though I can play the files fine with VLC.

When it tried to muplex the audio and video it says something like "video" not found. Would use QuEnc to encode my file to mpeg2 be enough? I would like to use iDvd to do the actual dvd creation on my laptop.
bobber205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 06:43   Link #9
Gundam Master

Send a message via AIM to Gundam Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
Actually, an HD-DVD or BluRay player can play mpeg4 h.264, not that you or I would probably have one at this point. The subtitle cutting off is not a problem if you have a DVD player with incremental zoom. As for HD anime content, yea, you'd really be better off going DVI or DVI-to-HDMI to your HDTV right now.
actually it will only play certain mp4s encoded with a few select video and audio codecs. I have had many mp4s not play because of the codec it was encoded with
Gundam Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 07:04   Link #10
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

VLC player is all internal, it does not use outside programs bobber, so installing xvid had not effect on VLC playing files.

true, h264 is still a newer technology, so not all fansub shows will work in on your xbox360 etc. etc. you may still need to re-encode.

if you have a laptop that was made in the last 5 years or so it should have an S-video out also, in case you cant move your computer around. a 12 foot S video cable is like 10 dollars.

remember if u re-encode the file with one of these divx gui's or what not, it may degrade the quality alot. it depends on the program you choose. and im not familiar enough to recommend a good one.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote