AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-02, 02:44   Link #2021
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

I'm not sure if it's Hayate who CAN'T use it, or CHOOSES not to. She's more focused on extra-long-range bombardment after all. And she's already proven that Diabolic Emission is a more effective mid-range anti-personnel spell than Blutiger Dolch is, being an indiscriminate spatial attack and all.
Old 2010-05-02, 03:54   Link #2022
Skane
Anime Snark

I look at it this way. You have a kid... who has been given an entire arsenal of Super-Soakers. Will said kid start spamming the big guns first or the small ones?

Hayate's magical training was not a normal one. It's only human nature to use the flashier and bigger spells, combat efficiency be damned. Then StrikerS chained her to a desk job, so she didn't receive much practical training then either.

Natch.
Old 2010-05-02, 04:21   Link #2023
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Ah, that's some logic I can work with.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2010-05-02, 04:51   Link #2024
Arkeus

Well, it's actually said that Hayate having her linker-core expanded by the YnS screwed up her control even farther.
Old 2010-05-02, 06:30   Link #2025
tyronoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
Well, it's strange that Hayate can't do something like that, considering
Spoiler for Vivid:
what the...

since when? what chapter is this?
Old 2010-05-02, 06:32   Link #2026
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's not Bloody Dagger, but a similar type of spell, which was cast in StrikerS during her second fight I believe.
Old 2010-05-02, 08:07   Link #2027
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It's not Bloody Dagger, but a similar type of spell, which was cast in StrikerS during her second fight I believe.
was about to point that out too, but i forgot which episode it was. was it their first meeting in the sewers and the following ascend to the surface? or was it the battle with caro and erio?
Old 2010-05-02, 08:15   Link #2028
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
was about to point that out too, but i forgot which episode it was. was it their first meeting in the sewers and the following ascend to the surface? or was it the battle with caro and erio?
I am certain we see it in battle with Caro and Erio, but it might have ben in the sewers too.
Old 2010-05-02, 11:53   Link #2029
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
I am certain we see it in battle with Caro and Erio, but it might have ben in the sewers too.
It first appears in episode 12, around 10:05 or so. She uses it in retaliation for Teana trying to snipe her.
Old 2010-05-02, 11:59   Link #2030
Kudryavka

About Nanoha StrikerS, I though Vivio was a kid. Why is it that sometimes I see her as an adult, and there's even a figurine coming out of her as an adult? Fan-made character?
Old 2010-05-02, 12:04   Link #2031
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
About Nanoha StrikerS, I though Vivio was a kid. Why is it that sometimes I see her as an adult, and there's even a figurine coming out of her as an adult? Fan-made character?
Spoiler for Vivio:
Old 2010-05-02, 12:08   Link #2032
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Spoiler for Vivio:
Spoiler for spop:

Sorry, I'm new to Nanoha.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:13   Link #2033
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

No, but it does increase her abilities.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:14   Link #2034
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Spoiler for spop:

Sorry, I'm new to Nanoha.
Basically, yeah. Watch StrikerS and read the first couple of chapters of ViVid and it should be clear to you.
Old 2010-05-02, 22:34   Link #2035
paranday

One dumb question: Who named RH? Nanoha, Yuuno or RH itself(himself?)

I watched 1st season pretty long ago so I cannot recall it.
Old 2010-05-02, 22:43   Link #2036
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

It's not stated in canon (as far as I recall) but I think it's safe to assume that it was whoever built it. Maybe it was Yuuno, but in the Manga from the 1st movie didn't state who made the device, only that Yuuno was being allowed to carry it over to his mission on Earth.
Old 2010-05-02, 23:28   Link #2037
paranday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
It's not stated in canon (as far as I recall) but I think it's safe to assume that it was whoever built it. Maybe it was Yuuno, but in the Manga from the 1st movie didn't state who made the device, only that Yuuno was being allowed to carry it over to his mission on Earth.
I, finally, looked 1st season again. In 1st ep, Yuno tells spells to Nanoha for initiating RH first time, including "Raising Heart".

From that, I assume Yunno knows RH's name but not sure he actually named it himself. (Probably not, because as far as I remember, Yunno found RH at a dig site or sth.)

It makes me wonder another thing. What does "Raising Heart" stands for? I mean, Bardiche(Fate's device) is medieval ax and Schwartkreuz(Hayate's device) means 'Sword Cross' in German.

Yeah, maybe just meaningless bad naming. But I cannot stop wondering what is 'raising' by RH or its master.
Old 2010-05-03, 01:23   Link #2038
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Well... the MSLN series started out out as a spin-off of a spin-off, in which Nanoha was a typical cliché Magical Girl with Chrono as the villain and romance. Raising Heart was probably designed to be a typical Magical Girl tool, ergo... cutesy and all that. Notice the liberal use of pink, and fluffy wings.

As for why the name Raising Heart... hmm, this is purely speculation on my part, but perhaps they named it so because it is supposed to raise one's fighting spirit? The human heart is considered to be the core of human emotions. When one is said to be down, it means he is depressed.

So on the flip side, when one is said to be rising to the occasion, it is a positive meaning. Given that RH has always been offering words of encouragement to Nanoha, I think her name really fits.

Cheers.
Old 2010-05-12, 13:25   Link #2039
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
I have a question concerning Alicia Testarossa, which may or may not become relevant to a fanfic I'm writing.

I keep hearing that she was significantly less powerful, magically, than Fate. Has the reason for this ever been established? Was her magical potential legitimately lower than Fate's, or is the discrepancy simply due to the fact that Fate recieved intense training her whole life and Alicia did not (Alicia died at age five, after all. I doubt Precia put her through in-depth combat training in her toddler years)?

If someone could direct me to an answer, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 2010-05-12, 13:49   Link #2040
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Was her magical potential legitimately lower than Fate's, or is the discrepancy simply due to the fact that Fate recieved intense training her whole life and Alicia did not (Alicia died at age five, after all. I doubt Precia put her through in-depth combat training in her toddler years)?.
I think magical potential at age five is literally a measure of potential only, and does not necessarily reflect what one can achieve if s/he has undergone intensive training.

In the Japanese wiki entry, which quoted the pamphlet of the movie as the source, the magic rank of Alicia is E. However it is also said that the rank is no more than an educated guess since she has never attended any magical test.

Btw Chrono is also said to have poor memory, poor physical strength and low magical potential at the age of five. But he overcame all of them with his own extreme hard-work and his rank is already AAA+ by A's. It is quite likely that he has an even higher rank in StrikerS.