AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-19, 13:53   Link #21
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

It looks like Square-Enix needs more money, as well as testing grounds for their new engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko
but seriously, if I was them, I would work on some of the older games like FF I, VII, and others (imagine Knights of the Round summon on a PS3 or 360, or other stuff).
The last things we need are even more remakes of Final Fantasy games.
Old 2011-01-19, 14:58   Link #22
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The last things we need are even more remakes of Final Fantasy games.
That depends, I don't mind remakes, in fact I think I would like to see them but if it doesn't happen then so be it.
Altho visiting old series I think isn't a bad idea.
Going back to much earlier FF would be great. Don't need a remake of that game but revisiting the worlds back then with new story or chracters would be nice.
I loved the classes they had back then and I think having FF return to classes would be nice.

I can only wonder what changes will be made but I hope alot. If theres not enough then for me it won't warrent a purchase, if a mate buys I'll just borrow it off him
Old 2011-01-19, 15:35   Link #23
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Yeah i have to agree, remakes will not save FF as a series. Most old school players love VII. But i somehow "didnt notice" (read: nintendo fraction) this gem and never experienced it first hand when it was new. Now i tried to play it but... it just feels... outdated. Usually i inhale good games, but, never worked for me after so much time post release.

Maybe im spoiled by FFVIII (PC port), that one was "my first" FF and i still consider it the best FF yet. Better graphics, actuall fmv's that still make me go awww today and the story/gameplay are very good.

But that still does not mean that i want a remake of FVIII, because everyone who "missed the chance" to play VIII back then may see it in a similar way as i see VII. This younger crowd may consider X the best FF yet. And we got the kids with their attention span measured in seconds who may only know XIII and like the fast paced and linear action. These would fall asleep playing X within five minutes.

So i would call this phenomen "layered fanbase". If you remake VII, then you will most probably only reach a small part of your FF fanbase, you reach the ones that had a PS1 back then (read: the sony fraction). If you remake VIII, you loose these fans 'cause they consider VIII to be subpar to VII, you win the ones that played VIII first, and again you loose the younger layers of players caus they cant deal with complex and old games.

So the obvious choice is to make new FF games that appeal to old and new fans alike, reaching all layers at once. In case of FFXIII that backfired because they disappointed all layers at once, with different aspects. Older players missed the complexity, younger ones probably gave up trying to understand the story (including me... and im not that young anymore and can deal with trainwrecks...).

So i really hope XIII-2 will improve the complexity and story alike. The older FFs had so much to do and learn! And their stories were way better thought out, giving you a small picture (local goal) and uncovering a bigger picture (global goal) in the process. XIII was just "go down that pipe, kill, level up, kill boss, watch fmv, feel confused, rinse repeat". I need to know wth is going on, or i will not care.

But if they bring back Fang and Vanille, i will buy it anyway, who am i kidding?
Old 2011-01-19, 17:08   Link #24
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Trailer needs more lesbian crystals. Also, first page crew reporting in.
here, go to this place.. it starts with Danbo....
Old 2011-01-19, 18:00   Link #25
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Yeah i have to agree, remakes will not save FF as a [/I]
FF series doesn't need to be saved o_O. FF13 sold over 6mil.

I played a couple of remakes of old FF games. They aren't any better the second time around since fans already know the story and they can't really get as excited over it. S.E just needs to keep focusing on being more innovative with each numbered series. I prefer that over what the hardcore fans want which is the same old style of gaming except with better graphics *cough Tales of "insert random word".

Last edited by Sassarai; 2011-01-19 at 21:19.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 18:15   Link #26
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
I prefer that over what the hardcore fans want which is the same old style of gaming except with better graphics.
I'd like to say i'm a huge fan of the series, and i'm one who doesn't see the need in most remakes. Sure seeing the early games re-released again helps, because quite a lot of people wouldn't have been able to play them otherwise, though not when it comes to VII and everything that came after.

All i want now is to see VI released on the PSN store, so i can replay my favourite in the series on my PSP.
Old 2011-01-19, 19:16   Link #27
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
So the obvious choice is to make new FF games that appeal to old and new fans alike, reaching all layers at once. In case of FFXIII that backfired because they disappointed all layers at once, with different aspects. Older players missed the complexity, younger ones probably gave up trying to understand the story (including me... and im not that young anymore and can deal with trainwrecks...).
It's hard to say it "backfired" from any perspective... sales were great, and reviews were generally good, especially taking into account the extremely vocal crowd that disliked the game.

A lot of older FF games let you get through most battles by selecting "attack" repeatedly, and while boss fights were often strategic, FF13 is actually less forgiving than most "recent" FFs, excluding FF12... the leveling and upgrading system in FF13 is also on par with previous entries. So it's not lacking in "complexity" either.

I think one reason I don't mind seeing FF13 depart fairly radically from its predecessors in gameplay is that my first FF game was FF1. Having seen the evolution of the entire series (and played through most of it), I don't think this was an unreasonable or unusual step to take.

That said, I'm rather partial to FF8 myself. I do love me some Triple Triad.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 01:06   Link #28
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
FF series doesn't need to be saved o_O. FF13 sold over 6mil.
FF lacks international appeal. Most of the 6 million were bought in Japan, and a good number repeat purchases for the limited edition gifts. Which varies with retailers, this time there were at least 10 in Japan. Go figure.
Old 2011-01-20, 01:24   Link #29
Sassarai
Army of One

Jrpgs lacks international appeal in general but S.E still does it the best in terms of sales I assume. Regardless, I'm pretty sure FF13 made a good amount of money and would be consider successful.

edit: I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but checking out VGCHART shows that over 4 million copies of FF13 was sold internationally? Can anyone confirm this? If so that would mean most of the units sold were internationally. How many jrpgs even come close to those numbers on PS3/XBOX360/WII consoles?

Last edited by Sassarai; 2011-01-20 at 03:01.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 03:25   Link #30
TJR

About 2 million copies were sold in Japan. Everything else would fall under overseas sales, although I don't know the actual numbers.

Unless you count Pokemon and some of the Kingdom Hearts titles, I don't think any other JRPG comes close to Final Fantasy in terms of international success. The problem right now is that production costs are sky high and the market for these games is shrinking.

Square Enix management might see XIII-2 as a quick way to recycle assets and increase their return on investment, but the development side is fighting hard to prove that big budget JRPGs like FFXIII have a long-term future. There's probably fear that these might not be made anymore unless things turn around.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 03:47   Link #31
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

In that case, my advice to SE is: Don't forget the basics which made FF great. The graphics are a nice touch, but I would rather they concentrate on the story and the voice acting which brings the story to life. I'm sure the various FFs had brought different but intense emotions to the players, and those were in the days before voice-acting.

We mourned when Aerith exited the stage. We said "YES!" when Kefka finally bit the dust. And so on. I hope SE never forget this.
Old 2011-01-20, 03:54   Link #32
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
In that case, my advice to SE is: Don't forget the basics which made FF great. The graphics are a nice touch, but I would rather they concentrate on the story and the voice acting which brings the story to life. I'm sure the various FFs had brought different but intense emotions to the players.

We mourned when Aerith exited the stage. We said "YES!" when Kefka finally bit the dust. And so on. I hope SE never forget this.
Look, the Sakaguchi is directly competing against SQEX now. When he left, somewhere FFX, things started bombing, big time, starting with FFX-2, FFXII, and now FFXIV.

You want the real stuff? Try The Last Story, it might be a better bet.
Old 2011-01-20, 04:03   Link #33
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

It's for the Wii.....

But, in all seriousness, I'm not a FF fan, but only because of game mechanics. The stories have somewhat interested me, and Dissidia was a darn good distillation.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2011-01-20 at 04:13.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 04:24   Link #34
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
It's for the Wii.....
I think that's where the future of FF is. It'll be the first game spanning all four platforms: PC, PS(insert number), Xbox(insert 3 digits), Nintendo-related.
Old 2011-01-20, 04:29   Link #35
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
Look, the Sakaguchi is directly competing against SQEX now. When he left, somewhere FFX, things started bombing, big time, starting with FFX-2, FFXII, and now FFXIV.
You've never played FFXII if you think it was terrible. It's excellent. Best FF game I've ever played, and I've played all of them.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 04:42   Link #36
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I enjoyed the battle system in XIII an awful lot; If they expand on that and make the overall game a lot less linear then I am all for this new game.

Here's also hoping they don't tune down on the difficulty level.
Old 2011-01-20, 05:03   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You've never played FFXII if you think it was terrible. It's excellent. Best FF game I've ever played, and I've played all of them.
When it comes to FFXII and enjoying the game, it all depends on if you like MMORPG's or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Here's also hoping they don't tune down on the difficulty level.
I'm actually hoping it goes up a little bit. Sure FFXIII had it's moments off difficulty, though they didn't last long. The battle system doesn't leave a lot of openings for a huge challenge, though adding to that could really increase the enjoyment factor of the game.
Old 2011-01-20, 05:15   Link #38
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
One word: Vaan.
He seriously made me hate FFXII.
He's worse than Hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
When it comes to FFXII and enjoying the game, it all depends on if you like MMORPG's or not.
Answer: I hate MMORPGs, so there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm actually hoping it goes up a little bit. Sure FFXIII had it's moments off difficulty, though they didn't last long. The battle system doesn't leave a lot of openings for a huge challenge, though adding to that could really increase the enjoyment factor of the game.
Compared to what came a week later, Resonance of Fate, FFXIII seemed easy.
Old 2011-01-20, 05:30   Link #39
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

As the memes said it so well, Vaan had very little relevance to the plot of XII.
Old 2011-01-20, 05:32   Link #40
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
As the memes said it so well, Vaan had very little relevance to the plot of XII.
True enough, but he appeared enough to seriously hate him (admittedly, not much, but enough for me).