AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2006-03-31, 15:38   Link #81
Sakuya
*Artist

I just read all 4 volumes. It doesn't seem like it ends at #4. Is there more in Japan? For all I know, all I've seen are 4 volumes.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 18:33   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The story is still in progress in Japan (weekly serial) so I suspect we'll see more volumes. Still waiting for ADV to respond about whether they'll produce the fourth book, before I go seeking the scanlations lurking out there.
Old 2006-03-31, 18:38   Link #83
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The story is still in progress in Japan (weekly serial) so I suspect we'll see more volumes. Still waiting for ADV to respond about whether they'll produce the fourth book, before I go seeking the scanlations lurking out there.
That's strange, why wouldn't they?
Old 2006-03-31, 19:31   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If the sales sucked... they might drop it. I do find it disconcerting that the property appears nowhere on the ADV manga site and thats why I wrote them. Especially since their manga and anime of Azumanga are touted so loudly there.

I was actually born and raised in Houston (though I'm on the west coast now) so its kind of amusing to recognize their address (not too far from where my grandma used to live).
Old 2006-03-31, 21:56   Link #85
rooboy
Umeboshi!

The entire ADV manga section has seen poor sales (the only series I believe was mostly immune was Azumanga). I'm not really sure what that says about Yotsuba, but I do know that for several months they weren't releasing any new volumes of any series. They've only just started releasing stuff that they solicited a while ago (the new Full Metal Panic Overload and Chrono Crusade among others).
They also just resolicited vol 1 and 2 of Yotsuba (something they only seem to be doing for series they plan on continuing), so I would guess it's in the pipeline somewhere.
Old 2006-04-01, 00:53   Link #86
Diedrupo

mein gott they better continue releasing Yotsubato! If not, they should drop the license and let someone else take over
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 01:47   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. I'll post here if I hear anything back from their sales people.
I did see Yotsuba& 1-3 on the shelf at my local B&N (and I received mine from their online store). It just struck me as very wierd that they had not a stitch of evidence it existed on their company website when all their other products were easily found.

edit: at first i thought people were mispelling Yotsuba as "Yotsubato" .... just had an "well d'uh!!!" "Yotsuba&" == "Yotsuba to".
No taiyaki for me....
Old 2006-04-01, 01:57   Link #88
Fel
Clean up princess

Aren't they about caught up to the Japanese release?
There are only ~34 chapters so far.

I checked amazon and the sales are as good as most of the other mangas on there.
And I recall at least a dozen copies of it on the shelves at borders last year.
Old 2006-04-01, 02:12   Link #89
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are four volumes out of the japanese releases (the serial is only about 5 chapters past that). So far ADV only has three volumes out in english.. the third being released last October.

ADV's issue probably have to do with general cash flow and they may have "closed the blast doors" for a few months just to make sure their business model was sustainable. Sometimes too many products can doom you...

It would be very cool to see Yotsuba& animated....
Old 2006-04-01, 02:26   Link #90
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
There was actually a very well-done and professional-looking Flash mock Yotsubato opening (to the opening theme of Azumanga Daioh). It was so good! Unfortunately, the creator took it down because I think it was a limited-time goodie.
Old 2006-04-01, 12:04   Link #91
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
There are four volumes out of the japanese releases (the serial is only about 5 chapters past that). So far ADV only has three volumes out in english.. the third being released last October.

ADV's issue probably have to do with general cash flow and they may have "closed the blast doors" for a few months just to make sure their business model was sustainable. Sometimes too many products can doom you...

I believe part of the cutbacks in the manga department also may have had something to do with the website because AFAIK, it hasn't been updated in quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
There was actually a very well-done and professional-looking Flash mock Yotsubato opening (to the opening theme of Azumanga Daioh). It was so good! Unfortunately, the creator took it down because I think it was a limited-time goodie.
Yeah, I wish I had thought to save it when it was up. That was great.
Old 2006-04-02, 16:18   Link #92
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

i have the 3 volumes released by ADV, and i have to say they have done well all jokes are present and well printed,
only one thing that 'urked' me was the DON MAI! joke, they changed it but it wasnt to major a thing
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 18:18   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah.. I've decided to get the JP versions (still available through many fine sources) just to see how they handled the translations... plus I figure its simple enough for me to translate
Old 2006-05-01, 23:46   Link #94
stone-rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanthraX^
well printed
You can't possibly mean that about the 3rd volume.
stone-rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 00:41   Link #95
Diedrupo

ADV messed up bigtime on the 3rd volume, and there were some glaring translation errors too (such as a character being mistaken for another character).

Oh well, I have all four volumes of the Japanese version. It's just a shame that ADV isn't doing anything to bring the 4th volume out here.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 00:42   Link #96
Sakuya
*Artist

Any news yet on a fifth volume? I really want to see where the story goes, like more information about Yotsuba's past if they're going to include that at all.
Old 2006-05-02, 10:14   Link #97
stone-rhino

Volume 5 is out in Japan.

I just read chapter 30, and it was glorious.
stone-rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 13:08   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Update: I've written every mail address ADV supplies on their website -- not a single response (though I seem to have ended up on their periodic e-newsmail splort).
Not... very... impressed...

I may just send a certain friend in Houston a memo to go bang on their door and ask "WTF?!" They couldn't avoid that.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-02 at 14:38.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 15:36   Link #99
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-rhino
You can't possibly mean that about the 3rd volume.

aye aye, what was wrong with the 3rd volume, there not in my possesion atm.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 16:23   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

oooh, DHL just rolled up with my copies of the JP versions of Yotsuba 1-4 ... time to play.

My understanding is that there were some translation gaffes... in fact, thats what led me to purchase the JP versions because some of the English dialog seemed "wrong" in several spots (as in what they're doing versus what they're saying versus my understanding of Japanese culture). I suspect its along the lines of the goofs in the Azumanga books .... like the oddities of having them in a Spanish class instead of an English class or some of the Osakan wordplay, etc.
They should take an inverted cue from Megatokyo and put the <english> in brackets with a footnote or something

edit: first thing noticed... the paper quality and bookjacket quality is much higher on the JP versions than on the ADV version (not really surprised).
Fuuka is sooooo pretty in an earthy cuddly way. I hope this series lasts a *long* time.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-27 at 18:57.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, comedy, family, slice of life