AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-12-19, 21:20   Link #2701
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...first-100-days

less cameras are worrying, and have a frightening connotation to me

and people still ask me why minorities are nervous about Trump...
__________________
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline  
Old 2016-12-19, 21:36   Link #2702
KiraYamatoFan
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 38
If that's their definition of protecting and serving the people, then I would not have a problem to say "fuck the police". They have abandoned their primary mission long ago when they stopped being held accountable for their actions, and now want even lesser accountability by ditching body cameras.
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 01:12   Link #2703
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 43
There were several "faithless electors" this year Several were Democratic voters though rather than Republican.

Seven in total:

Colin Powell got three from Washington (originally for Clinton)
Bernie Sanders got one electoral vote from Hawaii (originally for Clinton)
Ron Paul got one from Texas (originally for Trump)
John Kasich got one from Texas (originally for Trump)
and Faith Spotted Eagle got one from Washington. (originally for Clinton)

Seems the Democrats had less faith in Clinton that the Republicans in Trump. Or they knew it was pointless and decided to make a statement at Clinton's expense.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 02:07   Link #2704
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Not here
Age: 37
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...first-100-days

less cameras are worrying, and have a frightening connotation to me

and people still ask me why minorities are nervous about Trump...
Oh, that union. I remember them aggressively soliciting donations; no surprise their leaders aren't good people.
__________________
It doesn't sound like my love is getting to you.
I will not lose anymore; I will not give up.
More passion than hope, much deeper than despair.... Love!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now  
Old 2016-12-20, 03:01   Link #2705
KiraYamatoFan
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Oh, that union. I remember them aggressively soliciting donations; no surprise their leaders aren't good people.
You guys in the US should be chanting this at your law enforcement officers for what they are. What a waste of spent taxpayer money they (that union) are.
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 03:21   Link #2706
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra


News:

Quote:
Trump secured 304 electoral votes — two fewer than he earned in November, according to the Associated Press, which tracked results from capitol to capitol. That was despite a pitched effort by some on the left who wrote letters to Trump electors trying to persuade them to switch their votes or not vote at all and keep Trump short of the 270 needed.

Not only did it not happen, but more electors tried to defect from Hillary Clinton Monday than from Trump, by a count of seven to two, as of Monday afternoon. Three Democratic electors in Maine, Minnesota, and Colorado tried to vote for candidates other than Clinton. The electors' votes, however, were disallowed because of state rules binding them to the statewide popular vote winner.
Washington won by a mile in this:

"Four of the state’s electors broke ranks to vote against Clinton. Three voted for Colin Powell, and one for Faith Spotted Eagle."

xD

On the other hand:

Quote:
As the deadline approaches some of the appeals to electors have turned threatening. Electors around the country have reported being targeted by death threats, harassing phone calls and reams of hate mail.

“I never can imagine harassing people like this," said Jim Rhoades, a Republican elector from Michigan who runs a home inspection service. “I’ve lost a bunch of business.”

In Pennsylvania, the situation has become so serious that the some 20 electors have reportedly been assigned plainclothes state police troopers for protection.

Mrs Barket said she had avoided engaging with risk by refusing to open most of the letters, but she conceded that she feels "very uncomfortable in my environment".

She said she was worried about the effect on her family.
This tells a lot about anti-Trump people than anything else, they are no better than the same white racist they are attacking as well.
Brother Coa is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 03:36   Link #2707
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 43
I would think this shows that the break isn't the Republican voters, but the Democratic voters who are fracturing. The Republican voters are dwindling, but more united than the Democrats, at least in the face of Hillary Clinton.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 03:54   Link #2708
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Both parties are in shambles, one in the short term (Democrats) and the other in the long term (Republicans). Democrats must now grapple with the fact that they control no government branch and will likely fight amongst themselves over a vision for the party. I can only hope they get it together because the Republican party as we know it is gone. It's now a white nationalist party powered by Breibart and Infowars conspiracy theorists out to destroy every institutional pillar and norm of society.

At the end of the day though, 3 million more voters were counted for Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump does NOT have a mandate and that needs to be made clear to him.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 06:30   Link #2709
ChuckE
Provoker
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreamland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Both parties are in shambles, one in the short term (Democrats) and the other in the long term (Republicans).
Nah, democrates simply do not have any idea that can unite them all.
Republicans on the other more or less move to the same direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It's now a white nationalist party powered by Breibart and Infowars conspiracy theorists out to destroy every institutional pillar and norm of society.
Yeah, sure. Why people assume that only right side has conspirancy theorists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
At the end of the day though, 3 million more voters were counted for Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump does NOT have a mandate and that needs to be made clear to him.
So? The hell even with state votes democrates were able to rig it (republicans might do that too though). Imagine what could be done with popular voting?
__________________
Dominus factotum
ChuckE is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 06:37   Link #2710
Draco Spirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
He won the actual election system decisively through.
Draco Spirit is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 07:32   Link #2711
ChuckE
Provoker
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreamland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
He won the actual election system decisively through.
You did not know? Election system is outdated now. It did not choose the right candidate
__________________
Dominus factotum
ChuckE is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 07:34   Link #2712
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
At the end of the day though, 3 million more voters were counted for Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump does NOT have a mandate and that needs to be made clear to him.
Yeah... about that...

Spoiler for Big Image:


3 million voters more on 325 million citizens is nothing.
Brother Coa is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 11:34   Link #2713
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
*facepalm* by that logic lets take out Florida or Texas... Why is it that it is so hard for Trump supporters to come to grips with the fact that their candidate is a deeply unpopular person both nation wide and world wide, even historically so?
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 11:53   Link #2714
KiraYamatoFan
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckE View Post
Republicans on the other more or less move to the same direction.
For stagnation and even regression in socio-economical policies, right. Only a fool doesn't see the good side of moving forward. You guys can stay stuck in the Stone Age if that fits you.
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 12:05   Link #2715
Kakurin
大佐
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
Yeah... about that...

Spoiler for Big Image:


3 million voters more on 325 million citizens is nothing.
I must have missed California's secession from the Union.
__________________
Kakurin is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 12:33   Link #2716
Serovectra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
No, but it proves the electoral college is doing its Job. One state shouldn't be the deciding factor of what the vast majority of other states want, and it shouldn't single-handedly decide the election. That being said, maybe they should secede, they're so different from the rest of the country they may as well consider themselves their own independent state.

Last edited by Serovectra; 2016-12-20 at 12:48.
Serovectra is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 12:53   Link #2717
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 35
If you're going to use that argument to say the EC is doing its job, you could also use that argument to say it didn't do its job back when it helped Bush.

And if you're going to take one state out, why not take another out? Why should Texas get to vote when they're so different from the rest of the country? And they're the ones who have been constantly threatening to secede for years too, so maybe they should.

See how easy it is to flip your argument?
GDB is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 13:00   Link #2718
Kakurin
大佐
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serovectra View Post
One state shouldn't be the deciding factor of what the vast majority of other states want, and it shouldn't single-handedly decide the election.
Poor argument for the electoral college. If you think it's important what the majority of the states want you should advocate a one state = one vote solution and not the electoral college which semi-follows population distribution. In theory the 11 most populous states could decide the presidency by themselves, ignoring the will of the other 39 plus DC.
__________________
Kakurin is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 13:06   Link #2719
Serovectra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If you're going to use that argument to say the EC is doing its job, you could also use that argument to say it didn't do its job back when it helped Bush.

And if you're going to take one state out, why not take another out? Why should Texas get to vote when they're so different from the rest of the country? And they're the ones who have been constantly threatening to secede for years too, so maybe they should.

See how easy it is to flip your argument?
It did it's job when it helped bush. Al Gore won by a small percentage of votes, but Bush won more states(albeit it was a nailbiter in both popular vote and electoral votes). And Bush would have won by by a ton without California hyper-inflating Gores vote total. So no sure what you mean by this.

I never said California should be forced to secede, at this point you could say they want to secede. Or enough of them do where I always hear about it.

Quote:
Poor argument for the electoral college. If you think it's important what the majority of the states want you should advocate a one state = one vote solution and not the electoral college which semi-follows population distribution. In theory the 11 most populous states could decide the presidency by themselves, ignoring the will of the other 39 plus DC.
Not really. Larger and more populated states should receive more weight than smaller states, but not to the extent of popular vote. There would be no need to campaign in smaller states if their numbers have no influence on the election and it would reach a point where those states would feel forgotten as the presidential nominees would only campaign in large and densely populated states. The less populated states tend to be the states where mining resources and mass agriculture takes place and they are just as important as the more populated states.
Serovectra is offline  
Old 2016-12-20, 13:13   Link #2720
Kakurin
大佐
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I think it's funny that it's okay for California to contribute a significant chunk of the United States' tax income and GDP but when it turns to political power it's suddenly "hyperinflating". Why aren't you saying that Texas was hyperinflating Bush's vote total? Gore got 1,293,774 votes more than Bush in California. Bush got 1,365,893 votes more than Gore in Texas. Again, why is California hyperinflating but not Texas?
__________________
Kakurin is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.