AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-06-06, 00:07   Link #781
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I don't think so. There is too much inconsistencies for that to be possible. My guess is alternative reality Earth
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 03:27   Link #782
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Quite a few asspulls this episode (liquid metal arms, direct vision para-raid capabiliy, which makes the user blind... which then didn't happen), but overall a decent pay-off to at least some of the set-up. Lena is still stick in a despicable racist country, but I think we probably won't be getting a big time jump next episode already, but rather with the second cour, neatly side-stepping the issue of having to show more details of the political set-up of the Republic.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 04:14   Link #783
sierra117
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Quite a few asspulls this episode (liquid metal arms, direct vision para-raid capabiliy, which makes the user blind... which then didn't happen), but overall a decent pay-off to at least some of the set-up. Lena is still stick in a despicable racist country, but I think we probably won't be getting a big time jump next episode already, but rather with the second cour, neatly side-stepping the issue of having to show more details of the political set-up of the Republic.
This is a sci-fi setting, with quadruple walker tanks and completely unmanned and autonomous killer robots, what did you expected?
The blind part probably was just a probability, not that it will always happen
__________________
If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 06:19   Link #784
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 40
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
This felt like it should be the final or next to last episode. That being said, after this episode and the last, I really don't think anyone is invested in seeing that country survive. Like I'm pretty sure if Lena could have joined them on that battlefield or something and left it behind, we'd all be cheering for when the inevitable eventually happens.
Indeed, what exactly do they do? Confronting Shin's brother did feel like a season finale event. It felt like a climax event. So what tops that...Lena escaping the Albans being decimated and joining them, possibly with Annette?

Also, how exactly were there no consequences from her superiors for what Lena did? If they seriously don't reprimand her at all, then I really question a lot of things about the effort put into world construction and characters beyond the few we know.
__________________

The greatest Ghibli anime ever was Spiritfarer. Think about it.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 06:25   Link #785
sierra117
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Indeed, what exactly do they do? Confronting Shin's brother did feel like a season finale event. It felt like a climax event. So what tops that...Lena escaping the Albans being decimated and joining them, possibly with Annette?

Also, how exactly were there no consequences from her superiors for what Lena did? If they seriously don't reprimand her at all, then I really question a lot of things about the effort put into world construction and characters beyond the few we know.
She probably got reprimanded with a salary cut and may even got demoted
But at this point, those are just passing breeze to her
__________________
If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 06:43   Link #786
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra117 View Post
More like an alternative Earth, as their history and basic cultures are significantly different from our
Seriously? Then what's (or rather, where's) Albia supposed to be.....Britain? While the robot creating Empire is.....?
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 06:44   Link #787
sierra117
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Seriously? Then what's Albia supposed to be.....Britain? While the robot creating Empire is.....?
They’re more like… France
While the Empire probably was some evil version of Imperial Japan
Spoiler for :
__________________
If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 06:45   Link #788
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Interesting.....Empire sounds like some Eurasian super-state then
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 06:48   Link #789
sierra117
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Interesting.....Empire sounds like some Eurasian super-state then
While the Empire probably was some evil version of Imperial Japan
Spoiler for :
__________________
If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 06:59   Link #790
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra117 View Post
This is a sci-fi setting, with quadruple walker tanks and completely unmanned and autonomous killer robots, what did you expected?
Some set-up for these new armaments? Both the liquid metal arms and the direct vision para-raid with non-happening blindness feature came out of nowhere and were not even teased before. I would even say the liquid metal arms don't fit at all into the prior technological capability of anyone in the world. Hence why they were asspulls.

In comparison, I'm not complaining about the overpowered mortar barrage, which was properly set up in the show.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 08:48   Link #791
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Arggh! The were this close! This close in showing me how exactly the Legion get & use a human brain, but of course, they just cut to black. Such a shame.

Anyway, I actually like this episode for what it is. They showed me some good battles with all the "drones". I mean, this is probably the only anime series so far that have war between spider-like mechs on both sides. Granted, we got some spider-mech battles other ones in shows like...
Spoiler for GITS SAC thingy:
But this one is an all-out war between spider-like mechs which at least offers something new.

The art & action direction is also good this episode. Aside from the battle, I like the scene where Lena pointed the pics she drew for Spearhead members one by one while talking to them. But that piano BGM is still as in-your-face as ever. Speaking of music, I can finally say this now after letting it sink in for 9 episodes: the OP song really did a disservice for this show's tone & story for me. It's kind of a mood killer. The song didn't go for a complete opposite/contrast either which sometimes work for shows like this. It paints the show as something more carefree than it actually is but in such a middling way.

Still, I agree with those who were taken aback by the T-1000 arms. I mean, controlling liquid metal was such a jump in the technology compared to what 86 has shown us. Heck, the brain-scan tech that the Legion has sounds rather trite now in comparison. I mean, after such showing of technology, I would expect them to use nano-machines, human-like cyborgs and time-travel next . You know what's funny? In the latest ...
Spoiler for Terminator thingy:

Also, how come I didn't notice this before. Shin & his family were...
Spoiler for Gundam thingy:

That said, I wonder what's left of this arc that they felt the need to spare two episodes for it? An epilogue & setup for next arc? We'll see.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 08:49   Link #792
Edgardes
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Some set-up for these new armaments? Both the liquid metal arms and the direct vision para-raid with non-happening blindness feature came out of nowhere and were not even teased before. I would even say the liquid metal arms don't fit at all into the prior technological capability of anyone in the world. Hence why they were asspulls.

In comparison, I'm not complaining about the overpowered mortar barrage, which was properly set up in the show.
Except that was the first time we saw them fighting a Shepherd. Even Shin was surprised by the liquid arms. If it was Shin that suddenly pulled a new weapon out of nowhere to fight against Rei I would agree with you, but how can you even call it a asspull when an enemy they never faced before shows an unknow ability?
Edgardes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 08:58   Link #793
sierra117
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Still, I agree with those who were taken aback by the T-1000 arms. I mean, controlling liquid metal was such a jump in the technology compared to what 86 has shown us. Heck, the brain-scan tech that the Legion has sounds rather trite now in comparison. I mean, after such showing of technology, I would expect them to use nano-machines, human-like cyborgs and time-travel next . You know what's funny? In the latest ...
Spoiler for Terminator thingy:

Also, how come I didn't notice this before. Shin & his family were...[SPOILER="Gundam thingy"]freakin' Newtypes who can sense each other and even hear the voices of dead people for some. It was so obvious. I wonder if they will introduce the equivalent of Cyber-Newtype in the future. I mean, Shin's brother is already an equivalent of the EXAM system from the Blue Destiny manga long ago.
In Shin’s case, his ability of hearing the dead’s final words was more like a sudden mutation
Spoiler for :
__________________
If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-

Last edited by sierra117; 2021-06-06 at 09:24.
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 09:16   Link #794
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgardes View Post
Except that was the first time we saw them fighting a Shepherd. Even Shin was surprised by the liquid arms. If it was Shin that suddenly pulled a new weapon out of nowhere to fight against Rei I would agree with you, but how can you even call it a asspull when an enemy they never faced before shows an unknow ability?
Because liquid metal arms are pretty much, as Obelisk also pointed out above, a technological jump into another era? And by the flawed principle you just stated "It's a new type of enemy, so anything goes!", they could just as well have come up with time travel and nanite atomic bombs. It's bizarre and out of place.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 10:06   Link #795
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Which is perfectly legit. Empire is like decade ahead of Republic (who is in some regards decade ahead RL).

Well I don't expect time traveling, but if nanite atomic bomb make appearance in future I wouldn't be surprised.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 10:12   Link #796
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
We know the Legion have been self-evolving themselves through the use of the human brains they're harvesting so it's reasonable to assume (at least to me) that they've made quite a few tech advances to themselves. I'm not sure if the nanomachines are common to the Shepherd's because we've only seen Rei.

I guess they could've made an off-hand comment in a prior episode about why Processors don't use direct vision Para-Raid but for something that seems so dangerous it's probably common sense to not even consider doing it, but Lena's too gutsy for that .

We've got two episodes left so I think it's probably reasonable we'll see the fallout for what Lena did on the Republic side. Granted, it's the Republic, so I'm not sure if they would care enough to really penalize her but she might have made too much of an effort for them to not react to this time, especially from Karlstahl's perspective. I was almost expecting some officers outside the room ready to take Lena into custody...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra117 View Post
She probably got reprimanded with a salary cut and may even got demoted
But at this point, those are just passing breeze to her
I think she's descended from a noble family so a pay cut probably won't really matter to her in the long run (not that I think she cares about money). Unless she needs to bribe more people .
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 11:26   Link #797
Vanguard_D
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Some set-up for these new armaments? Both the liquid metal arms and the direct vision para-raid with non-happening blindness feature came out of nowhere and were not even teased before. I would even say the liquid metal arms don't fit at all into the prior technological capability of anyone in the world. Hence why they were asspulls.

In comparison, I'm not complaining about the overpowered mortar barrage, which was properly set up in the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I guess they could've made an off-hand comment in a prior episode about why Processors don't use direct vision Para-Raid but for something that seems so dangerous it's probably common sense to not even consider doing it, but Lena's too gutsy for that .
Regarding the Para-raid vision thing: People should take a look on episode 1. During the talk with Annette in the middle of the episode. They literally go over the subject of why they only use hearing and the real risks with using other senses.

It is the thing that killed Annettes dad.
Vanguard_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 11:45   Link #798
Kakurin
大佐
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
We know the Legion have been self-evolving themselves through the use of the human brains they're harvesting so it's reasonable to assume (at least to me) that they've made quite a few tech advances to themselves. I'm not sure if the nanomachines are common to the Shepherd's because we've only seen Rei.

I guess they could've made an off-hand comment in a prior episode about why Processors don't use direct vision Para-Raid but for something that seems so dangerous it's probably common sense to not even consider doing it, but Lena's too gutsy for that .
Annette literally said that in episode 1, that they use the Para-Raid only to synchronize the sense of hearing and that it could overload someone's brain if they tried to synchronize the sense of vision as well.

As for the liquid nanomachines, they are common to all. We for example see them splatter out when Shin cut-up the Lwe in episode 2. Obviously it wouldn't have hurt to mention that in passing, for example when Shin and Lena were talking about the replacement of the CPU structure of the Legion with the structure of a human brain.
__________________
Kakurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 11:52   Link #799
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Maybe I need to re-watch the show again .
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 12:36   Link #800
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Pffffff!! Wait, that's it? The whole brother issue is now resolved?
It's great to use "emotional" music, but when the actual story fails to be emotional, the whole "Hey, cry now, it's sad right?" thing becomes way too obvious. And you get that twice, one with the brother and again when the heroine goes running... umm, wherever she was trying to get. ...You really think the audience thinks they died? The mob NPC characters, sure, maybe. Who cares anyways. But the guy?
__________________

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
harem, mecha, politics, sci-fi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.