AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-24, 04:57   Link #21
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

In Mai-HiME the main character's brother has a serious heart illness. But it's probably not the series you would like as it's mostly about girls fighting evil creatures, studying at school and sometimes being involved into romantic situations.
Old 2010-02-24, 08:56   Link #22
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
I'll see about Rurouni Kenshin after I finish the rest of it.
Though, it's only in the OVA?
Yes, but you can always watch the anime series before that.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-24, 09:18   Link #23
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Indeed, Saikano is a very good suggestion on this respect. And one of the best tragedies I've seen in anime form. I get depressed just by thinking about it, and I have never been able to muster the courage to re watch it even once.
I was hesitant to recommend Saikano for obvious reasons but since people have brought it up yes, Saikano would be a good watch. Only seen it 3 times, and only seen the last 2 episodes once. Every time I rewatched it only could get myself that far; the ending is just too damn painful.

Also WTH I just realized that no one even brought out Air TV. Technically it's not romance, ecchi or harem despite what people insits it is. Also the last 3 episodes are... yeah...
Old 2010-02-24, 19:12   Link #24
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I've reread the manga a few times. Saikano is painful but there is a unique form of sweetness at its core that survives the near-nihilism. It's a brave title because things like that do happen in the more hellish parts of the world today and because one day, there may be enough people that are stupid enough to do it on a global scale. But despite it all, love somehow endures. That's the one positive to take out of Saikano once it's all over.
Old 2010-02-24, 19:51   Link #25
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

Also WTH I just realized that no one even brought out Air TV. Technically it's not romance, ecchi or harem despite what people insits it is. Also the last 3 episodes are... yeah...
Probably Air in on the verge of romance but yeah I know what you mean
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-02-24, 20:11   Link #26
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Probably Air in on the verge of romance but yeah I know what you mean
It's a Key title. It's to be expected in his work. Although I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes, I was only ever able to watch Clannad.
Old 2010-02-24, 22:36   Link #27
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

The first episodes of AIR are kinda cutesy, but it's worth the watch past that, specially considering that it's only 13 episodes long.
Old 2010-02-25, 00:04   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Since we're on Key, there's a prominent character in Kanon with a serious illness. Maybe two, depending on your interpretation.
Old 2010-02-25, 00:08   Link #29
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

With that rationale, you might as well throw in Clannad since it always happens in any Key title. Except for what Penn said earlier.

Why I didn't suggest them is because he didn't like the look of Full Moon wo Sagashite. I don't think he'd like the diabetic/heavily moefied style of these either. Hence why I only recommended Saikano.
Old 2010-02-25, 00:16   Link #30
Penn
元帥

Actually, it wasn't only the look of Full Moon wo Sagashite, it was just the general feel seemed a bit too silly (the plot, too, honestly).

As for Saikano, too much romance for me, sorry.
Aren't all Key's stuff based on eroge? Even Air.
Old 2010-02-25, 00:18   Link #31
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Comparing Full Moon wo Sagashite and KEY works is very, very tricky, considering that , while they are both romance, the former is decidedly on the Shoujo camp (and as such I don't really see how the focus in this one could be moe), while the later are definitely oriented towards the male population. So liking or disliking one does not hold that high of a correlationship with liking or disliking the other.

Quote:
Aren't all Key's stuff based on eroge? Even Air
What's your definition of eroge? Because most people out there in the know will tell you that CLANNAD is definitely NOT an eroge. But well, AIR does require you to stomach a romance esque story for the early chapters. It gets better. As for Saikano, the romance, while not ever present is a pivotal part of the story I guess, so it's a shame that you could not get past it.
Old 2010-02-25, 00:26   Link #32
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Actually, it wasn't only the look of Full Moon wo Sagashite, it was just the general feel seemed a bit too silly (the plot, too, honestly).

As for Saikano, too much romance for me, sorry.
Aren't all Key's stuff based on eroge? Even Air.
*shrug* Sorry I couldn't help you. In anime, a major character suffering a terminal disease only seem to happen in series with some considerable degree of romance. Just the way it is.
Old 2010-02-25, 01:01   Link #33
Penn
元帥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What's your definition of eroge? Because most people out there in the know will tell you that CLANNAD is definitely NOT an eroge. But well, AIR does require you to stomach a romance esque story for the early chapters. It gets better. As for Saikano, the romance, while not ever present is a pivotal part of the story I guess, so it's a shame that you could not get past it.
Clannad is the only one I'm aware of that is based on a VN that isn't an "adult game," Air and Kanon are, though.

Last Sinner: Not only is illness only in anime about romance, it seems only young girls are allowed to be sick. Oh well.
Old 2010-02-25, 01:06   Link #34
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Clannad is the only one I'm aware of that is based on a VN that isn't an "adult game," Air and Kanon are, though.

Last Sinner: Not only is illness only in anime about romance, it seems only young girls are allowed to be sick. Oh well.
I get you, but you have to remember that studios will only make something that sells. And a young girl evokes that magnitude of a response in almost any country, let alone Japan. Just the way it is. A country in the throes of recession for over a decade isn't going to take too many risks, especially in the moe era. -_-