AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-28, 13:18   Link #21
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
This will be completely impossible to translate, because the card game they're playing basically consists of guessing lines from classical tanka poems. A large part of the manga consists of discussing the structure and content of such poems. Have fun with that.
The manga scanlation does an okay job of it, at a very general level of detail. But I am hoping to take the opportunity to get out my copy of the Hyakunin Isshu ("One Poem of 100 Poets") poetry collection on which the game is based and try to learn something, too. There are several translations of that book into English, so the subbers at least have that to work with.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 23:48   Link #22
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

In looking around for sites about the card game, I found a site about the book it is based on, with text/transliteration/translation for all 100 poems. Poem #17 starts "Chihayaburu."

The site also explains the game a bit: "In Japan a traditional card game, often played at New Year's, is based on Ogura Hyakunin Isshu. There are two sets of 100 cards. On one set the complete five-line poems are printed. On the other set only the last two lines ("shimo-no-ku") of each poem appear. Usually there are two players or sides. Each player takes 25 of the shimo-no-ku cards and spreads them in front of him or her. A third person, acting as reader, reads from the cards with the whole poems on them. As the reader reads the first lines of a poem, each of the two players tries to find the card with the corresponding final two lines. The first player to find the right shimo-no-ku card removes it from the playing area. If the card is in the opponent's area, the player gives one of the cards from his or her own area to the opponent. The first player to get rid of all the cards in his or her own area is the winner."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-09-29 at 03:34.
Old 2011-10-04, 08:18   Link #23
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Chihayafuru simulcast on Crunchyroll.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011...-to-fall-lineup
Old 2011-10-04, 09:14   Link #24
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Well at least we can expect Quarkboy's anwer for every question regarding the content in anime anyway,
Old 2011-10-04, 13:04   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Old 2011-10-04, 16:11   Link #26
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Spoiler for ep1:
Best first episode so far, for me. A step ahead of Kimi to Boku, Fate/Zero, and C cubed. Then again, I'm biased, since this is a show I had a lot of hope for. We'll see how it evolves.
Old 2011-10-04, 17:00   Link #27
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But did this ep get across enough of how the game works, and its appeal? I've read some of the manga and many similar poems, so I had an idea already.
That's a good question. A question that I can't fairly answer but would like to know others' answers. I haven't read any of this particular manga, but I have read manga that involved the game so like you, I knew about it ahead of time.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 17:02   Link #28
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... atm it only looks like CR is doing this one.... :\

Well, at least SOMEone is doing it.
Old 2011-10-04, 17:19   Link #29
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Bah, got trolled so much. Chihaya/Taichi looked so sweet together and I was squeeing like a fangirl... until Taichi reveals he already has a girlfriend, even though Taichi looks like he still likes Chihaya. And I went even more WTF when during the flashback it's already shown Taichi was jealous of Arata even back then, and you got yourself a girlfriend? You sonofa...

No, sorry Taichi, you've got your chance. Shipping for Arata now (aka. osananajimi #2), even though he's nowhere to be seen in the present. Chihaya's shocked face really wrenched my heart, and it's all because of you Taichi. >_>

As for the card game, it's easy enough to understand. They say the first part of the poem and you have to get the second part? Not knowing the actual poems itself doesn't seem to be a detriment, as I don't have any poems memorized (native to English or not) that it wouldn't have mattered if the translator made the poems on the spot lols.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 17:36   Link #30
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I hadn't heard of this game before but I thought the first episode explained it really nicely and made it seem like an interesting game, abeit one that I don't think I'll ever be able to play.
Tried this series out expecting to be bored (was only trying it because it's josei and I like josei) but I love Chihaya as a main character and I'm interested to see what happens next.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 18:35   Link #31
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Director Asaka Morio did NANA.
Pretty obvious that Asaka Morio is directing this series. Looking back at all of his works, they all have pretty much some of the best first episodes you'll find in a series. Of course the source material plays a huge part in this, though it's a good director who can adapt such perfect tension and pacing.

Can't say i'm surprised DragoonKain3 has already appeared with a post containing shipping material.
Old 2011-10-04, 18:44   Link #32
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

If this game is what I think it is I have seen it showcased fairly often in anime - most recent that jumps to mind is in the Kore wa Zombie Desu ka anime and in the Maria-sama ga Miteru anime (beginning of s2 ep1 I think?) ....

I actually liked the story ... although Taichi (the young man Chihaya has a crush on) seems to have a nasty streak in him when he was younger.... Pity.

Arata was outright amazing....

I think I am going to enjoy this series!
Old 2011-10-04, 18:54   Link #33
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Anime-only viewer. I had no idea what the card game was supposed to be until they actually started playing, but I got the gist of it from that scene. The visuals were strong, as expected for this studio. The voice cast so far is also a thumbs-up. The premise is what sells it, though. Red flags were going off for me at the mention of "card game", but I completely turned the corner in the second half.

If Chihaya can maintain a strong presence without becoming obnoxiously perfect then this could turn out to be my dark hose of the season.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 19:20   Link #34
Kirarakim

Great first episode and my favorite of the fall so far. I want to get to know these characters and that's the best praise I can give.
Old 2011-10-04, 19:25   Link #35
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Atm I still prefer Tamayura Hitotose, but Chihayafuru is excellent and unexpected.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-10-04 at 20:01. Reason: Please don't discuss fansub groups for licensed or legally streaming anime...
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 22:38   Link #36
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Well at least we can expect Quarkboy's anwer for every question regarding the content in anime anyway,
Actually no, I'm not involved with the translation.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 23:55   Link #37
HandofFate

tomboy chihaya was pretty cute.
getting kind of hikaru no go vibes from it, where it takes a game and attempts to dramatize it up a bit.
Old 2011-10-05, 00:28   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Absolutely my #1 premiere so far this season. Solid all around, and beautiful to look at. Great characters, interesting premise. What's not to like?

Though it's obviously quite different, there are a few Hikaru no Go vibes for sure. You have a 12th Century Fujiwara connection, struggling to get club members... I needlessly missed out on the greatness of HnG for years, so I'm never falling victim to that kind of prejudice again.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 00:45   Link #39
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, when you play this game, how...rambunctious can you get when reaching for a card? My understanding is it goes to whoever reaches it first, so unless there's an unspoken etiquette involved, I can see people keenly watching each other as well as the cards to try to shoot for a card the other person seems to be shooting for. Of course, maybe you're psyching them out and want them to reach for that card because it's not the correct card. Seems like it could get real chaotic.

I do enjoy playing Hanafuda, so my interest is definitely piqued for what could be called an advanced form of the game. Plus, it'll be the mellow counterpart to all the action filled shows that will likely make up my viewing palette this fall.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 01:03   Link #40
Byakou

This show is not really up my alley but the first ep was good enough to get me to watch the second one, even though I don't really get the poem game at all.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse