AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-02, 09:48   Link #1
kitten320

Fate/Zero - Fate/Stay Night: connecting the dots

It was about 2 years since I watched Fate/Stay Night so I might not remeber details but... I don't remember masters knowing about each other there. All of the masters in Stay Night seemed to be suprised in one or another way when they discovered each other while here they know almost everyone.

And also weren't servants chosen by luck in Fate Night? Their summons seemed to by chance. At least Shirou got Saber by pure luck what begs a question... why no one else tried to summon her back then?

While here they summon them knowingly... and what if servants' masters tried to summon same servant at the same time? What then?
Old 2011-10-02, 09:48   Link #2
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fate/Zero - Fate/Stay Night: connecting the dots

Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay night are 2 series closely connected together as the former is the prequel of the latter.
As such, many points from a certain series may be answered with the other one.

In order to avoid way too many spoilers and questions in the Fate/Zero thread, this thread shall serve for those who are little to not used to a specific chapter of the franchise or those who require a little memory refresh.
For instance, things like "Why the summoning process are so different in Zero and Stay Night?" or "What is "Heaven's feel" can be answered here without any problem.
In short, the sole purpose of this thread is to explain the many connections between Zero and Stay night which were not really clear for some people. This is of course leading to spoilers and whatnot.
However, this is not supposed to be a wiki/full spoiler thread, where "anything and everything" is explained (that is basically the spoiler game thread).

This is basically a very niche and specific thread. A very quick Q&A for anything bridging both franchise. It is -not- supposed to clarify the whole fateverse/nasuverse at all.

It has to be noted that due to the nature of the topic, this will severely spoil you for either Fate/Zero and/or Fate/Stay Night. So please use your own discretion if you want to learn more about the various connections (recurrent characters, events, details, noble phantasm etc) between the 2 franchise.
Therefore, Spoiler rules are -not- applied here, but please only stay ontopic: answer precisely the inquiry posted and avoid extending the answers with needless details.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-10-15 at 14:21.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:48   Link #3
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
And also weren't servants chosen by luck in Fate Night? Their summons seemed to by chance. At least Shirou got Saber by pure luck what begs a question... why no one else tried to summon her back then?

While here they summon them knowingly... and what if servants' masters tried to summon same servant at the same time? What then?
I think Deen's F/SN did a pretty bad job about depicting this, but if you watch closely, the summons weren't random at all, meaning all the masters had a relic connecting them to their servants (of the ones shown, at least). What I believe is that if you don't have a specific relic, the hero that you summon is random. Also, it is very hard to find a relic of the heros of the past, so it is very unlikely that two masters would each have a different relic that one hero possessed. And the 7 class system is probably there to stop this as well, though this is just my guess.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-10-02 at 14:58.
Nochgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 10:02   Link #4
Wigwams

Quote:

shirou didnt get saber by luck... i believe
Spoiler for reason:
Old 2011-10-02, 10:05   Link #5
Kagayaki

Quote:
Well let's take Rin for example, from what I remeber she did have a relic but I seriously doubt that she meant to summon the archer she had... I don't think she even knew herself who archer really was.

Or is my memory deceiving me and she didn't have a relic?
She did have a relic.

Spoiler for F/SN:
Old 2011-10-02, 10:20   Link #6
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:

In F/SN, Rin was disappointed she drew Archer, and there were a couple times when she asked him to do something and he responded, "Uh, Archers don't have that ability," so she probably had a relic but someone else had already drawn the class she wanted.

The dialogue (or at least the subs) for F/Z did mess up by stating that a relic is necessary for the drawing, while in the novel it's said to be merely an option.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-10-02 at 14:58.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 10:30   Link #7
chaos_alfa

Quote:
It was about 2 years since I watched Fate/Stay Night so I might not remeber details but... I don't remember masters knowing about each other there. All of the masters in Stay Night seemed to be suprised in one or another way when they discovered each other while here they know almost everyone.

Shirou did have a relic to summon Saber with. He just wasn't aware he had one.

Spoiler for Fate/Stay Night:
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 10:45   Link #8
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
In F/SN, Rin was disappointed she drew Archer, and there were a couple times when she asked him to do something and he responded, "Uh, Archers don't have that ability," so she probably had a relic but someone else had already drawn the class she wanted.
No she didn't have a relic. She was hoping to boost her summoning by using the jewel and force the Saber class servant to become hers, but since all the clocks in her house were one hour fast she didn't do it in the time when her magic power would be at it's highest (1AM I think, or was it midnight?).

But since she had a "relic" if you could call it that, she would probably have gotten archer even if she hadn't screwed up her summoning. He probably would just have appeared normally in front of her like the others instead of him falling through the roof
Old 2011-10-02, 15:26   Link #9
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So since Iilya is Kiritsugus daughter did she know about Shirou and Kiritsugu? Or does she not know Kiritsugu is her father?
Old 2011-10-02, 15:30   Link #10
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
So since Iilya is Kiritsugus daughter did she know about Shirou and Kiritsugu? Or does she not know Kiritsugu is her father?
She does know. It's an important plot point in the Heaven's Feel arc of the visual novel.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:36   Link #11
Forsaken_Infinity

The servants weren't chosen at random at all.

Shirou had many connections to Saber. The most directly applicable one was that
Spoiler:

Rin had a very important connection to archer too. She had a relic as well.
Spoiler:

But yes, a relic isn't absolutely necessary for a summon and the grail chooses masters that didn't have a relic (or any connection to the war at all) once the war is near and if it doesn't have 7 proper masters and servants already. It still chooses servants that share a connection with the masters though.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:50   Link #12
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
It still chooses servants that share a connection with the masters though.
So it's not possible to choose your own Servant by choosing a certian Relic or am I understanding wrong?

Set by TheEroKing.

Last edited by .:Jason:.; 2011-10-03 at 01:58.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:52   Link #13
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
So it's not possible to choose your own Servent by choosing a certian Relic or am I understanding wrong?
The Grail only chooses if you don't have a relic. If you do, it'll summon that Servant.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:54   Link #14
Cherry_Lover

Relics can be linked to more than one hero, though....
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:59   Link #15
~The Radiant Protector~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Relics can be linked to more than one hero, though....
Oh, can you explain that?

Set by TheEroKing.

Last edited by .:Jason:.; 2011-10-03 at 01:58.
Old 2011-10-02, 16:04   Link #16
Cherry_Lover

Well, suppose you had a piece of the Round Table. There are about 30 heroes who that could potentially link to. In such a case, you would get the hero who was best matched to your personality out of that list.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 16:11   Link #17
~The Radiant Protector~

That makes sense then. Thanks.

Set by TheEroKing.
Old 2011-10-02, 16:27   Link #18
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Can someone explain to me why different heroes are summoned for each class at different times?

Eg. Why Berserker is a different person in each series?

I understand there are more ancient personas than the ones seen in the first series, but does each class (no matter the character) possess the same abilities?
Old 2011-10-02, 16:28   Link #19
GDB

There are many heroes, many magi, many relics. If they were always the same, they wouldn't be termed after the class, but rather the hero.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 16:31   Link #20
~The Radiant Protector~

Is it possible for two Masters to summon a Servant of the same class or is it one Master per class?

Set by TheEroKing.

Last edited by .:Jason:.; 2011-10-03 at 01:56.