AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 134 63.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 27.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 5.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.47%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.95%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-27, 13:03   Link #141
puppygod

Excellent episode.

Several thoughts:
- I feel sorry for Kihara, she tries so hard, but always gets the short end of the stick
- Minori seems to have quite a lot of insight into things, but that begs the question... is really leaving Ryuji "half-dead" good solution? "Let's just be friends forever" is not gonna happen.
- guys talk was nice spin. Shocked Yuusaku face suggested that he finally understood something. I hope. Though solution of problem by wacky 47 Ronins reenactment was so in his style.
- I loved scene when they changed into wardrobe ninja squad. It was lie, two seconds? Less? They instinctively grabbed their slippers and hide almost like they trained raiding girls rooms before
- It was interesting and refreshing to see classical comedy setup with hiding in wardrobe subverted and played in serious tone. You expected them to fall out any moment during girl talk and hilarity to ensue... but it didn't happened and instead things get tense.
- Boiling steam finally exploded and it was interesting to see Ami and Minori going physical. I wonder, if how much of Ami actions were just letting it off, and how much she tried to finally provoke some words of truth from Kushieda - just like Taiga squeezed confesion out of Aniki in Ep.16
- Taiga really did changed. It isn't just superficial change. Well played.
- This series should be remade in at least 36 episodes! I mean, to even have cut ED? Though it was very well done.
Old 2009-02-27, 13:12   Link #142
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
10/10 for me.

and I cant believe that JC staff actually doing the thing right...Is it a dream or they just happen to eat some cracks?

Love Taiga's epic confession.
The director Nagai Tatsuyuki used to be director for Honey & Clover II, which could explain why it feels so much better than their supposedly more popular series like Shana and ZnT. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the crew came from H&C and Nodame Cantabile.

In contrast, that other hyped up JC Staff produced series, Toaru no Majutsu Index, has been a massive, massive letdown.

Some feedback on Coalguys' subs:

Near the beginning, when Maya said 「ハの字」, she was referring to how she should ski with her feet positioned like the katakana ハ. I have absolutely no idea how it got translated to "pizza".

Around ~10:00, when Kitamura dragged Ryuji to confront Minorin, he mentioned the Chushingura story. While it is expected people would google it, perhaps a tiny note just saying it's some folk legend at the top might be useful.

That's about it, apart from that, it wasn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
It was seriously sweet, and kudos are much deserved to the guy who first noticed she was praying to Kitamura, you totally called it.
I noticed it, but didn't feel it was important to mention it. I thought people would realize she's praying to the God of Broken Hearts, and not for him.
Old 2009-02-27, 13:17   Link #143
Tren Mashidar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Actually this episode is very similar in subtelty like Clannad 17, during the tennis match. Loved the part when Takasu grabs miniori's arm and suddenly she realizes that she was right, and that takasu actually shares the same feelings that taiga has, it was great moment.
I don't post here much at all, but I tend to lurk often. I can't help but agree fully with you on this subject though because it was the first thing that came to mind when that scene played out.

Really I started out the series with an open mind on what the ending might be, but if there is anything other than a TaigaxTakasu ending I'll be shocked after the last few shows.
Old 2009-02-27, 13:25   Link #144
OuKKaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Near the beginning, when Maya said 「ハの字」, she was referring to how she should ski with her feet positioned like the katakana ハ. I have absolutely no idea how it got translated to "pizza".
The position "French Fry" and "Pizza" are very common when it comes to teaching little kids to ski.

French Fry = For Downhills or gaining speed.

Pizza = For slowing down.

I can't remember well but i have already heard (read actually), in other anime this terms. Maybe School Rumble.

I hope you can understand me, i suck at english. Gomen.
Old 2009-02-27, 13:32   Link #145
JFKWT

Hi all 1st post around here, forgive the verbosity.

And oh, drat i polled just before watching the last 5 mins of the episode. put a 9. should've put a 10.

Instead of writing the whole length 1st (if its allowed by the forum) let this be the overview (ironically) of the romantic aspect of the plot.

Spoiler for Rant:
Old 2009-02-27, 13:34   Link #146
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Confessions you say?

<-- I remember this.

Anyway, with this episode, ToraDora really is Love!
Old 2009-02-27, 13:41   Link #147
Fran~
floating away...

The best confession is the "almost confession" of Harima to Tenma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5QmI-WNfYY
Old 2009-02-27, 13:43   Link #148
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I'm guessing they turned a Japanese ski training tip into a English ski training tip. So, its localization instead of just translation. I remember being told to make a pizza with my skis when I was a kid.
Old 2009-02-27, 13:54   Link #149
JFKWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Anyhow, about that Ami. DAYUM she can throw down. Kawashima Ami is a beast xD. I don't think I've ever seen a girl punch so hard in an anime before, that was just golden. Characters used to hit one another with blunt objects and get this sort of reaction from me but if I saw her getting ready to beat somebody down I'd be running. It's no wonder those two guys were just watching the fight, they were scared Ami was going to rip their heads off. They had every reason to be!
The funniest part about that entire fight though... Probably that they were sort of fighting over Ryuuji in a way. I don't think they even know it.
What she can say > what she can do imho O_O
Old 2009-02-27, 14:05   Link #150
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Not a bad episode at all. Confession was nice, but not very epic.

I really need to get roan to stop spoiling me so I end up rating these higher...

8/10 for me.
Old 2009-02-27, 14:13   Link #151
wistfulloner

Just watched the subs and, damn, Ami was brutal when she verbally lashed out at Minori in front of the other girls. That was just awful of her, and Minori stomached it all and didn't blow up or anything. I don't think I'll have the maturity in that situation to control myself...

I'm in love with how everything just links up so nicely to the past. The loneliness, the hair clip, Ami's growing detest of Minori; all were so well woven from before into the story that its hard to believe Toradora took anything less than months in the planning.

Taiga's confession was just pure gold. The integration of part of the ED into the last minute of the show made it quite obvious something epic was gonna happen, but it left me wondering what she was getting at until she finally said it. Indirect and unexpected but strong enough to have its impact felt heavily, this is one of the best and most tender confessions I've ever watched.

Episode 21 is epic, and so is this thread.
Old 2009-02-27, 14:39   Link #152
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I'm guessing they turned a Japanese ski training tip into a English ski training tip. So, its localization instead of just translation. I remember being told to make a pizza with my skis when I was a kid.
I see, well, in my defense, living in a place where it never snows, I have completely no idea what these things actually mean, or why they mean that. I'm gonna have to google it now.
Old 2009-02-27, 15:07   Link #153
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It took me about three re-watches but I finally got the meaning of that action.
Old 2009-02-27, 15:42   Link #154
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

whoho she confessed without even knowing it .. sooo sweet...can't wait for the next one
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Old 2009-02-27, 16:16   Link #155
BlueDo

Wow, a big can of worms opened.

First, the guys listened in on the girls' conversation
And then, Ryuuji carried Taiga while she was unconscious...

Loved it, since I was rooting for the obvious pairing from the beginning.
Old 2009-02-27, 16:21   Link #156
Janifuu
緩和

Loved this episode, and absolutely loooved the confession at the end. It actually made me tear a little bit. Taiga has always been my favorite in this series but much after the last few episodes I've grown a whole new love and respect towards her. She's grown so much farther than my expectations, and frankly I cannot picture Ryuuji being with anyone BUT her. I'm not sure if anyone is able to fully comprehend the importance of a new years prayer, especially within Japan's culture, and for her to go as far as dedicate it to what she did is just amazing. I'm rooting Ryuuji x Taiga all the way! What a ride its been thus far
Old 2009-02-27, 16:25   Link #157
Yuutsu6
Korose

Send a message via AIM to Yuutsu6
Manly tears were had at the end of this episode.
I was expecting this to happen throughout the whole thing, but alas, i never read the manga, so I never expected it to be done this well.
It wasn't a generic "Etto...ano...I....I..." kind of confession. Which I thought of as a nice change from most shows that follow this genre.

Easily one of the best episodes of this series.
Old 2009-02-27, 17:34   Link #158
aldw

Watching this episode reminds me why I like Ami so much, better to hash things out in the open rather than letting it fester.
Old 2009-02-27, 17:46   Link #159
Justin Kim
*Artist

I completely loved this episode, it cleared up each character's feelings towards each other. Hopefully, as mentioned earlier, Ryuuji got some information out of it. I am so confused with Ami's feelings though. I mean it's so indefinite to me whether she is completely jealous of Minori for not being able to admit her feelings towards Ryuuji. Like I completely cannot understand her. Are there speculations that she does indeed have expressions of likingness or love towards Ryuuji. I mean Taiga's true feelings were admitted here, when she was in a harmful condition (that pretty much cleared it up). The wardrobe scene, I didn't expect Ryuuji to act that way either. I thought he would be a little bit more melancholic after the truth was kind of revealed through Ami's so called "sarcastic," way of speaking. But yet again Ami is able to see through people, she wasn't entirely wrong about Minori. This truly was a significant great episode.
Old 2009-02-27, 17:52   Link #160
weksa

I may be stretching the following...

The field trip activity of "skiing" sounds much like "suki."

Here, Kitamura is holding that look for so long, and then the following time we see him he's deep in thought -- it makes me wonder if he made a connection between the fact that Ryuuji likes Minorin and Taiga's New Year's prayer to the God of Broken Hearts. In addition, I'm also curious whether Kitamura is simple-minded and wants to clear things up between Ryuuji and Minorin, or if he's possibly trying to do something as the God of Broken Hearts -- for Ryuuji's sake as well as Taiga's.
Closed Thread