AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-02, 03:52   Link #21
npcomplete

http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Best_Student_Council

It's not really yuri but does feature endearing and very close relationships between a variety of girls. "Nakama" for girls if you will. It starts off pretty silly but gets more serious in the later half.
Old 2009-08-07, 05:56   Link #22
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Well, I'm looking for something that isn't pure fanservice, which makes the going hard. Yuri is usually portrayed as fanservice and then sometimes circumvented via canon by pairing one or both of the women involved with a random guy (NANA is a good example of this).

What I'd like to see is something cute and heartwarming, but seriously portray a lesbian relationship (not just fluffy fanservice) without being angsty and emo.

I'm convinced it doesn't exist.
I think Strawberry Panic could fit that description but not exactly(For the OP its definitely worth looking into as an yuri anime). I personally liked most of the series especially the ending.

@synaesthetic: Aoi Hana fits the description more though.

Last edited by SonOfHeaven; 2009-08-08 at 07:43.
Old 2009-08-07, 14:28   Link #23
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Strawberry Panic portrays a lesbian relationship without just fluffy and soft fanservice ? Are we talking about the same series ?

... Yeah right, the OP definitely isn't looking for SP.
Old 2009-08-07, 19:11   Link #24
Dist

RadiantBeam, are you sure what yuri means ? There is big difference in Yuri and Shojo-Ai. Plus, none of the series you listed are even shojo-ai except Strawberry Panic.

Also, if you had read his post he wants : What I'd like to see is something cute and heartwarming, but seriously portray a lesbian relationship (not just fluffy fanservice) without being angsty and emo.

I can't find the bolded part in Noir, Cazador and especially not in Strike Witches.
Old 2009-08-07, 19:13   Link #25
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
RadiantBeam, are you sure what yuri means ? There is big difference in Yuri and Shojo-Ai. Plus, none of the series you listed are even shojo-ai except Strawberry Panic.

Also, if you had read his post he wants : What I'd like to see is something cute and heartwarming, but seriously portray a lesbian relationship (not just fluffy fanservice) without being angsty and emo.

I can't find the bolded part in Noir, Cazador and especially not in Strike Witches.

Gaaaaaah, my bad. @_@

Somehow I misread what the first post said... crap. Sorry.
Old 2009-08-12, 00:43   Link #26
Charuru

Aoi Hana. It's an adaptation of a yuri manga. But it's not completely, fully, courageously yuri.
Old 2009-08-13, 14:15   Link #27
Kazu-kun

Quote:
RadiantBeam, are you sure what yuri means ? There is big difference in Yuri and Shojo-Ai.
In Japan the whole thing is called yuri, whether sexual or romantic, explicit or implied. Some people here (in the western fandom) use "shoujo-ai" to describe works where the yuri is pretty light or subtext, but in Japan is all just yuri.

Still, there is people here (including me) who use the word yuri with the Japanese meaning, and American publishers such as Seven Sees do so too. So don't bother people who choose to call yuri what you thing is "shoujo-ai". They're not mistaken. In fact, actual yuri fans (those who read Yurihime manga, Aoi Hana, Girl Friends, Sasameki Koto, etc) usually never use the term "shoujo-ai"; it's pretty much a travesty of a term to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charuru View Post
Aoi Hana. It's an adaptation of a yuri manga. But it's not completely, fully, courageously yuri.
I disagree. What could be more courageous than a story where the protagonist actually "comes out". This is really rare, since in most shows with yuri content, even when it is explicit (as in non-subtext), the relationship is not usually seen in the same terms as a relationship between a guy and a girl. Aoi Hana is different, and that's where its strength lies as a yuri work.
Old 2009-08-13, 14:32   Link #28
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Ichigo Mashimaro is very cute. It's even possible to watch it and think of it as innocent.

Card Captor Sakura has a lot of odd love-pairings, foremost among them the unrequited love of Tomoyo for Sakura. These are also generally innocent/cute.
Old 2009-08-13, 15:28   Link #29
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
In Japan the whole thing is called yuri, whether sexual or romantic, explicit or implied. Some people here (in the western fandom) use "shoujo-ai" to describe works where the yuri is pretty light or subtext, but in Japan is all just yuri.

So you're saying that Strike Witches, Noir, Ichigo Mashimaro or Sakura are YURI ?

Ichigo Mashimaro doesn't even have implied yuri, dunno about the others but fairly sure not. And anyway, the OP said clearly he wants a clearly portrayed lesbian relation ship without the fluffy fanservice. .. See my point for my original post ?

/Rant. I'm getting annoyed about the people who use these forums. They read the OP, ( or even worst cases they don't, they just read the title ), and then post whatever is in their head, ignoring everything else posted below. Which defies the idea of the forum in the first place.
Old 2009-08-13, 16:19   Link #30
Kazu-kun

Quote:
So you're saying that Strike Witches, Noir, Ichigo Mashimaro or Sakura are YURI ?
If it isn't actual yuri, then you could call it yuri subtext or implied yuri. That would describe it clear enough I think.

Quote:
OP said clearly he wants a clearly portrayed lesbian relation ship without the fluffy fanservice[/B]. .. See my point for my original post ?
Yes, I know that, and my suggestion for OP (in a previous post) was Aoi Hana, which is exactly what s/he is looking for.

But my latest post was a reply to you, to make you understand that not everyone uses the term "shoujo-ai", specially yuri fans. If you want to use it, that's ok, but don't bother people who don't.
Old 2009-08-13, 16:28   Link #31
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
And anyway, the OP said clearly he wants a clearly portrayed lesbian relation ship without the fluffy fanservice. .. See my point for my original post ?
I read the OP and every other post by Nanoha, and nothing seems to support your claim. I'm not at all sure what you're ranting about. Card Captor Sakura, for example, is fairly similar to Nanoha (the anime), which appears to be the OP's favorite. Are you thinking of a different thread?
Old 2009-08-13, 16:50   Link #32
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I read the OP and every other post by Nanoha, and nothing seems to support your claim. I'm not at all sure what you're ranting about. Card Captor Sakura, for example, is fairly similar to Nanoha (the anime), which appears to be the OP's favorite. Are you thinking of a different thread?
Yeah, I think we all got a bit confused here. The one who's asking for serious portrayal of yuri is not OP, but synaesthetic in this post.

OP (Nanoha) seems to be find with fanservicy yuri and yuri subtext.
Old 2009-08-13, 17:16   Link #33
Fate21
Kiyu~

Quote:
Well, I'm looking for something that isn't pure fanservice, which makes the going hard. Yuri is usually portrayed as fanservice and then sometimes circumvented via canon by pairing one or both of the women involved with a random guy (NANA is a good example of this).

What I'd like to see is something cute and heartwarming, but seriously portray a lesbian relationship (not just fluffy fanservice) without being angsty and emo.

I'm convinced it doesn't exist.
Murder Princess anime maybe it's cute and heartwarming XD contains some bloody scene though.
I think their relationships influence the story so I think it's fit.
Old 2009-08-13, 18:31   Link #34
Dist

Yeah I got confused. That's mainly due the fault of someone hijacking this thread aswell, and someone quoted him so I thought he was the OP and quoted the quote aswell ... Sorry there.

But still, even if OP likes Nanoha, would you like to explain me how is Yuri displayed even as subtext in Nanoha ? Or, more over in Ichigo Mashimaro. This is the only choice I truly don't get cause there sure isn't yuri in IM. Just because you have friends who happen to be also females doesn't make it yuri. Or are you saying K-On is yuri aswell ? Lucky Star ? AzuDaioh ?
Old 2009-08-14, 11:37   Link #35
Fate21
Kiyu~

Quote:
Yeah I got confused. That's mainly due the fault of someone hijacking this thread aswell, and someone quoted him so I thought he was the OP and quoted the quote aswell ... Sorry there.

But still, even if OP likes Nanoha, would you like to explain me how is Yuri displayed even as subtext in Nanoha ? Or, more over in Ichigo Mashimaro. This is the only choice I truly don't get cause there sure isn't yuri in IM. Just because you have friends who happen to be also females doesn't make it yuri. Or are you saying K-On is yuri aswell ? Lucky Star ? AzuDaioh ?
Some people consider Ichigo Mashimaro, K-ON, Lucky Star, and AzuDaioh as yuri anime in disguise, so don't get offended kay
Old 2010-07-28, 03:27   Link #36
Abashi

Quote:
serious, well-portrayed yuri in anime is a lie, nothing but Bait and Switch Lesbians who get paired up randomly with some stupid guy at the end of the show.

if it's not dealt with in this manner, then it's so shallow it's nothing but pure fanservice.

relating to the OP, I'd like some recommendations for a yuri anime that is honestly deep and treats the relationship with the same respect that hetero pairings get. No Marimite. I hate that show. It's Bait and Switch Lesbians at its worst.
I love Marimite, but it can be slow at times. Seasons 2 and 3 are better, 1 and 4 are too slow and not enough yuri.
Old 2010-07-29, 12:38   Link #37
kitten320

Lol you are just like me, I'm also straight girl who likes yuri

Though I don't like shows where EVERYONE are gay... it's just way too random @_@

Well people had suggested the most obviouse ones so I will just suggest the ones in which you have yuri suggestion but it isn't the main topic of the show:

Bakuretsu Tenshi - though as far as I know manga has even more of yuri suggestions. This is a shooting anime.

Canaan - also had slight suggestion and also is a shooting one.

El Cazador de la Bruja - same story.

Ga-Rei Zero - they have nore of a sister like relationship but they are not related and did have several suggestive scenes, this one is based on sword fighting and is a bit gore and includes drama.

Mai HiME/Mai Otome - these series have one of the most famouse yuri pairing an dthe one which got me into the whole yuri. Second season Otome has more yuri indications, first season less but there is a clear pairing. And Mai HiME series are good on their own. Mai Otome is completly different with completly different story.

Mari Holic - main heroine has alergie on men and is a 100% gay. Though she is fangasming a lot.

Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - mostly in Railgun we have a character who is in love with her roommate. But their relationship are more on hilariouse side than seriouse one.

That's the ones I know.
From yaoi... here are two 100% yaoi:
Junjou Romantica - it has several seperate stories about several pairings. Also has season two. I'm not huge yaoi lover but this one was quiet good.

Sukisho - another one I have watched.

Kuroshitsuji - has yaoi suggestions but isn't the main theme of the show.