AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-11, 01:13   Link #1241
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
My PC is nowhere near my TV, nor do I want it to be. I actually do use my PC for work, which means I'd rather keep my desk and multi-monitor setup - a couch is not very ergonomically conductive to keyboard and mouse.
This is your choice. But is possible.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:15   Link #1242
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Sony Owned Microsoft really really extremely Hard.

It will be the PS4+PC for me.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:17   Link #1243
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
This is your choice. But is possible.
Never said it wasn't, but that's besides the point, which is that there's nothing inherently "superior" about PC gaming vs. console, and certainly not "100 times better" - they are just different.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:21   Link #1244
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Never said it wasn't, but that's besides the point, which is that there's nothing inherently "superior" about PC gaming vs. console, and certainly not "100 times better" - they are just different.
Aside from exclusives, everything you can do on a console you can do on a PC, including setting it up via TV/couch and using a controller. It's not 100 times better but it's definitely superior in most ways aside from ease of use. Although with today's PCs and Steam, it's definitely becoming less and less of a hassle.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:24   Link #1245
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
ROTFL

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmKpV0i8t4[/t]
wwwwwwww spoof version of this!
Spoiler for Sony Video:
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:24   Link #1246
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Aside from exclusives, everything you can do on a console you can do on a PC, including setting it up via TV/couch and using a controller. It's not 100 times better but it's definitely superior in most ways aside from ease of use. Although with today's PCs and Steam, it's definitely becoming less and less of a hassle.
*coughcostcough*
Old 2013-06-11, 01:25   Link #1247
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
What cost? The xbone is five hundred bucks. I can build an HTPC that does everything the xbone does AND MORE for just a little more.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:26   Link #1248
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
*coughcostcough*
Recoup via free online and steam sales! =P
Old 2013-06-11, 01:28   Link #1249
kyp275
Meh

a HTPC may be able to play some games, but is not remotely close to what I'd consider to be a proper gaming rig.

Seriously, a $500 system is a budget build no matter how you slice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Recoup via free online and steam sales! =P
I consider that a wash with buying cheap used/bargain bin games
Old 2013-06-11, 01:33   Link #1250
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Hey guys you know I've been thinking, what do you think would happen with Microsoft if not only did Sony's PS4 dominated them in sells(Cause we both know there's a HIGH chance that's going to happen), but the WII-U also destroy them in sells as well?

Do you think that would be enough to wound Microsofts pride enough that they would actually make changes in a flash?
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:39   Link #1251
kyp275
Meh

Hard to say, I can't remember any console in recent (or not recent) history that was as poorly received as the XBO, personally I think MS would be insane not to reassess its policies.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:39   Link #1252
Ermes Marana

Quote:
a HTPC may be able to play some games, but is not remotely close to what I'd consider to be a proper gaming rig.
A lot of people are going to buy a pc anyway though, so for them the question is "how much extra do I need to pay to play games better than a console."

For 360/ps3, the answer is "almost nothing." By the end of a generation, anyone buying a pc can use it to play games better than a console for no extra money.

For XB1/ps4, the answer is "tons, and still may not be enough." At the beginning of a generation, the consoles are the better buy. PC components need to be much more powerful due to sloppy ports, and newly released PC components are ultra expensive. I'd definitely buy a console now unless you want to wait years.

The line is definitely being blurred though. We are seeing consoles dealing with more and more "underpowered pc problems", like increased failure rate and overheating and fps drops, and getting more "pc style" 1st person shooter games. And we are seeing pcs becoming more and more like consoles, with the xbox controller becoming a standard for pc, and console style games like Sonic Racing Transformed and Dark Souls make their way to pc.

Quote:
Hard to say, I can't remember any console in recent (or not recent) history that was as poorly received as the XBO, personally I think MS would be insane not to reassess its policies.
MS must drop the price to PS4 level at least. They must not have known the PS4 price, they can't be 100 dollars above the more powerful system.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:42   Link #1253
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Hey guys you know I've been thinking, what do you think would happen with Microsoft if not only did Sony's PS4 dominated them in sells(Cause we both know there's a HIGH chance that's going to happen), but the WII-U also destroy them in sells as well?

Do you think that would be enough to wound Microsofts pride enough that they would actually make changes in a flash?
It'd take at probably a year for those kind of numbers to be significant enough for MS to re-evaulate their strategy. Pre-order sales seem pretty strong even with all the negative feedback so if they're planning for the long term and this is their end game for the digital landscape then I can definitely see them toughing it out. They'll probably introduce more lucrative offers down the line to get people to buy into the whole ecosystem but I don't seem them changing the fundamentals.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:43   Link #1254
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:

Seriously, a $500 system is a budget build no matter how you slice it.
Unless you are playing at extreme resolutions or with a multiple-monitor setup, you don't need a $2000 gaming rig to play everything out there anymore.

Besides, when it comes to the gaming industry, the money is not in the high-end system-crusher triple-A titles anymore. It's in the mobile, social and multiplayer titles that can run easily on modest hardware (mobile devices, ARM architectures, laptops, browser-based games). Triple-A games are a drain on the industry.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:49   Link #1255
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
At the beginning of a generation, the consoles are the better buy. PC components need to be much more powerful due to sloppy ports, and newly released PC components are ultra expensive.
This dont make any sense. In fact I know of many games of this new generation that will already be better on the PC since the beginning.

The mid cost GPU is safe to play any game in this generation with good performance.

And sloppy ports will be less common, due to similarity of architectures between consoles and PCs.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:55   Link #1256
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Unless you are playing at extreme resolutions or with a multiple-monitor setup, you don't need a $2000 gaming rig to play everything out there anymore.
That depends entirely on the software. And regardless, $500 is not enough - 100 would be earmarked for the OS, leaving you with 400 to get the CPU/GPU/PSU/mobo/memory/HDD/case/controller, ie - nothing but the low end stuff.

HTPC? sure, gaming? yea... let's just say as long as you keep things "simple", which is the point - you can't build a $500 pc that can do everything a XBO/PS4 can do and more.

Quote:
Besides, when it comes to the gaming industry, the money is not in the high-end system-crusher triple-A titles anymore. It's in the mobile, social and multiplayer titles that can run easily on modest hardware (mobile devices, ARM architectures, laptops, browser-based games). Triple-A games are a drain on the industry.
That's certainly your preference, but that's all that is.

Quote:
This dont make any sense. In fact I know of many games of this new generation that will already be better on the PC since the beginning.
I don't see how you can know those for fact, when you don't have the new consoles yet In any case, it would depend on the spec of the PC in question.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:57   Link #1257
Ermes Marana

Quote:
The mid cost GPU is safe to play any game in this generation with good performance.

We'll see, but I highly doubt it. Not even the super expensive high end pc components from when the 360 came out would have been able to play everything throughout the generation, despite costing way more.

And this time mid cost stuff right now will play everything for the next 7-8 years? Maybe... but I really, really doubt it.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:59   Link #1258
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's not preference. It's numbers; if you don't believe me, look at EA's financials and see the profits their mobile divisions pull in versus their triple-A titles. Seriously, why would I lie about this? You can verify it for yourself.

Square Enix sold four million copies of Tomb Raider and lost money; they consider it a failure. Their twelve-year-old MMORPG that can run on a toaster makes more profit.
Old 2013-06-11, 02:00   Link #1259
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers?
I meant as in processor, graphics card, the right gaming monitor, etc etc.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 02:02   Link #1260
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
We'll see, but I highly doubt it. Not even the super expensive high end pc components from when the 360 came out would have been able to play everything throughout the generation, despite costing way more.

And this time mid cost stuff right now will play everything for the next 7-8 years? Maybe... but I really, really doubt it.
I'm talking about the beginning of this generation. The high end gpu surely play the most of the generation, provided it is not everything in Ultra and max resolution with the consoles have not even reach. The medium quality in most games equal the quality of the consoles.