AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-01-02, 20:54   Link #1
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Historical anime w/o supernatural elements

So here are two kinds of shows(or manga) I'm looking for, since the thread title can only be so long:

Historical anime w/o supernatural elements
•Looking back, I found myself really enjoying Gosick due to how it revealed the 'true science' behind it oddities and uncanny events that went on. Sure, it may have fell flat in a few areas, but I enjoyed it so much that I would honestly be willing to give another show a shot if it focused on a historical context (even if the country is fictional or not) and was not a supernatural show. I've got no problem even if the show isn't a "Reveal the magician's secrets!" sort of thing. The closest things I can probably think of is Ruroni Keshin & Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, both of which I have yet to read/watch due to digital availability (I just use legal sources nowadays btw).

Anime focused a cast of different national backgrounds
•Looking back, I found myself interested in how the characters in Darker than Black came from numerous different cultural background and countries all over the world, all belonging to different syndicates competing with others to discover the secrets of the mysterious phenomenon known as Hell's Gate, instead of just being focused around the Japanese people (even though that's where the main story takes place). I'd like to see a show where people of different places around the world interact, compete, over a similar goal or event or how they get involved with each other . Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Silver Nina, Baccano!, and the Fate/Stay Night franchise (since they've got mythological & historical heroes of different backgrounds competing for the Holy Grail) likely falls under this category here. I assume there may some sports shows that might fit with this pretty well too.

Just some special notes before recommending:
•Not a yuri/yaoi fan.
•I tend to lean more towards sci-fi over fantasy nowadays, so even if I mentioned Fate Stay Night, actually being open to another fantasy show is another matter with my personal tastes as of now.(I'll still at least look it up and see if it seems to be my cup of tea though)
•I can tolerate some bath scenes, skirts flying open when a jet passes by real close, but when I see panty shots and gropes every 5 mins or so, I lose patience real fast. So nothing fanservice-heavy please.
•I am highly unlikely to watch a bro/sis-con focused show.
•Feel free to recommend something even if it hasn't been officially localized yet.
Thanks in advance!
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 21:11   Link #2
cupumanager

Anime:
Hyouge Mono - Tea for The Universe, Tea For Life
Politics, Warfare, Philosophy of Aesthetics, The Way of Tea Ceremony, and Samurai Warlords doing hilarious faces during The Sengoku Jidai
Girls und Panzer
Not Historical, but WW2 History Buffs would appreciate the references in this Cute Girls doing Panzer Things in a Tournament. Also, there are representative schools based on British, American, Italian, Russian, and German doctrine of Armoured Warfare.
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Set in alternate 1950s Japan, in the time of public upheaval. Tells the story of a Paramilitary Police and the political and emotional struggles he got into.
Grave of The Fireflies
The story of Brother and Sister trying to survive in War-Torn Japan of WW2. Some say tearjerking, but personally made me rage.
Emma
A Classic love story between a Wealthy Bourguisie and a Maid in the end of the Victorian Era. Already animated, but I haven't watched the anime, only read it.
Rainbow
Its has been animated, but I only read the manga. In post WW2 Japan, 6 Teenagers was sent to a Juvenile Correctional Facility. It tells also their struggle in Post-war Japan after they were out. It can be over-the-top at times, and the Pedophile Doctor may turn you off.

Manga:
Otoyomegatari/The Bride Stories
Stories of several 19th Century Central Asian Brides, connected by the travels of an Englishman. The main couple is a 20 year old Kazakh Bride married to 12 year old Turkmen boy. Its a very detailed and beautfully drawn Slice-of-Life romantic Manga.
Vinland Saga
The saga of Thorfinn Karsefni, who later found the first European Colony on America. The 8 volume prologue told his life as a part of a Viking Band, fighting in the Danish Invasion of Britain, and the rise of Canute The Great.
Vagabond
The Manga version of Yoshikawa Eiji's novel, Musashi, Esquisitely illustrated by Takehiko Inoue. Incredibly good character development and filled with musings about Zen and the way of the sword.
Red: Living on The Edge
Seeing the wide variety of characters, you may like this Western: A Travelling Indian Performer hell bent on
revenge, Samurai Sniper who sucks with sword, A gunslinging Hooker, Former Confederate Child Soldier turned Priest, An Apache kid leading a children gang, an Indian girl studying in NY, her mute Black Boxer Bodyguard, an ex-7th Cav Colonel, a Male Yandere Christian Samurai, a Chinamen who can't cook Chinese but know a little kung fu...and many more...
Mercenary Pierre
Gisele Alain
Victorian/Belle Epoche slice-of-life
Ad Astra: Hannibal et Scipio
Wait...this is supranatural alright...supposedly Hannibal was such a genius he could talk as a baby and inimidate Roman Consuls as a kid...
Cesare
Young Cesare Borgia, as seen by his Fiorentina Colleague at University of Pisa.
Sengoku
Green Blood
Gangs of New York - The Manga
Jin
Modern Doctor thrown through time into the Bakumatsu Era.
Nobunaga no Chef
Another Time Travel. A Modern Chef went to The Sengoku Jidai, and become the personal cook to Oda Nobunaga, who used his expertise as an intrument of diplomacy and politics.
Wolfsmund
Set in 14th Century Swiss, Telling the struggles leading to The Battle of Mordgarten. It is kinda gratuitous with Tortures and Death though, and there is a single supernatural chapter, the one about The building of Devil's Bridge in St. Gotthard Pass.
Historie
The life of Eumenes of Cardia, One of the Generals and Secretary of Alexander The Great.
Zipang
A Modern Kongo-class DDG of JSMDF was lost through time into the day after Battle of Midway.
Kuro Kishi Monogatari/ Black Knight Story
The tale of the 8th Panzer Company "Black Knights" in the Eastern Front of WW2

Alternative Fantasy Universe Manga:
Shoukoku no Altair
Set in Fantasy Equivalent of 16th Century Mediterranean, Europe, and Western Asia; but with some reversal in position. Since you say you like to see interactions between peoples and states, I think you'll like it.
Gunka no Baltzar
Set in Fantasy Equivalent of Mid-19th Century Europe and The German Unification Wars
, a time when Warfare was rapidly changed by Industrialization.
Peacemaker
Set in Fantasy Equivalent of early 20th century; but Gunslingers still roam around and Private Mercenary Companies rule the battlefields.

Last edited by cupumanager; 2015-01-03 at 09:29.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 16:13   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Most of the fantasy classics like Junni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito, and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin have a good dose of the supernatural. One excellent show that does not is Saiunkoku Monogatari. There's some discussion at the outset about the eight sages who helped a warrior to drive out the demons when the empire was founded, but most of the show has a pretty realistic focus. The heroine wants to become the first female official in a country that looks a lot like T'ang China (600-900 CE).

I heartily endorse cupumanager's recommendation of Hyouge Mono, though I'll warn you that it can be slow going at times. There's a lot of focus on politics and interpersonal relations as we watch the unification of Japan during the Sengoku period. I'll warn you that the disclaimer at the outset of each episode that "this is a work of fiction" is warranted. You might want to read a little of the history of the period before watching this, especially the canonical view of the events at Honnou-ji.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 16:21   Link #4
cleo

Historical:
. Kingdom series: set in ancient JapanChina
. Saiunkoku Monogatari series has romance in the mix. It might be a bit dated now, but I still love it.
. Saraiya Goyou / House of 5 leaves: more a slice of life / character study than an action series
. Nobunaga Concerto: you'll need to get used to the animation, but it worked for me
. Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou: lots of fighting, lots of people dying dying as well
. Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
. Kaze Tachinu
The last 2 are beautiful Ghibli movies from last year.

Intercultural:
. Ping Pong: great drama and characters with Ping Pong as a vehicle
. Giovanni no Shima: very nice that all the actors are natives
. Twelve Kingdoms / Juuni Kokuki: it lacks conclusion, but a great series nevertheless
. Hajime no Ippo: a series about boxing. There are several foreign opponents, but you've got to be further ahead in the series for them to appear.

Edit: Oh. ninja'd.

Last edited by cleo; 2015-01-03 at 19:16.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 17:09   Link #5
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
Kingdom series
Actually it's not set in ancient Japan, but in ancient China. Also I recommend going for the manga with this one since even though it gets better over time, the early part of the anime adaption is made out of more than 50% CGI, censors a lot and cut out a complete arc. The manga is still ongoing at over 400 chapters. After 60 chapters of action-adventure it immidietly turns into a mix of warfare and political intrigue.
Old 2015-01-04, 09:46   Link #6
SineMora
Wait for it...

Valkyria Chronicles?

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-16, 17:56   Link #7
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

So many recommendations, thanks everyone! Can't wait to check these out!
Old 2015-01-17, 22:23   Link #8
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
Anime:
Zipang
A Modern Kongo-class DDG of JSMDF was lost through time into the day after Battle of Midway.
Zipang also has an anime, by the way.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 09:22   Link #9
cupumanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Zipang also has an anime, by the way.
I haven't watched it, only read the manga.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 12:14   Link #10
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Does anyone know if Tsukihake Ran counts as a historical show w/o supernatural elements involved?
Old 2015-02-01, 05:37   Link #11
RichardFromMarple

From up on poppy hill shows that studio ghibli can make a good feature film without any fantasy elements, drawing well on it's 1963 setting.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 08:17   Link #12
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

if you can read manga, go with Kingdom (shounen, war strategy) or Otoyomegatari (slice of life, drama). The two best of its genre