AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-18, 19:53   Link #121
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It wasn't planned, I think. Seeing that it was not popular with people, they decided to stop it where there still would be closure, but not waste any more of their money by spending their show time on more episodes.

I don't think it will be transferred to a different station, because unlike Samurai Champloo, most deem it boring ... and this is the truth. For most people, it is boring, because they cannot understand or don't want to.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 20:09   Link #122
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Here is the test, wao:

Would you choose Noein over Mushishi?
That's an evil question and you should be bitterly shot for it.

But for my case I'd choose Noein because I already have all the Mushishi tankoubon, however I'd much prefer both because honestly some of the chapters in the manga turned out much better when animated.
Old 2006-02-18, 20:20   Link #123
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm sorry.

For my case I'd choose Mushishi over Noein, as I think Mushishi is more intellectual that Noein. (That's for me.) However, I don't really love Mushishi as to choose it over my favorites. I mean, it's among the top for its class and depth, but it still can't beat my favorites (IMO).

I love Shingetsutan Tsukihime, because although you need a little research to clarify what really happened, it just becomes all the more hard-hitting when you realize Arcueid's love for Shiki.
Old 2006-02-19, 02:20   Link #124
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-samurai
So far Mushishi has kicked the ass of nearly all the shows I've watch in the past 5 years years, so even if its only going to be 20 ep.s they are among the best 20 episode I've seen in a while.
Well I have one exception: gunslinger girl, which prolly another top ten of all time for many people. But these 2 series are not comparable theme-wise or whatever-wise, just 2 totally different genres of anime that happen to be my taste.

But yet, 20 episodes may be.... a tad too short for mushishi fan like me. I don't have access to the manga, but if I do, my pouch will bleed like after one 50 round from Henrietta's SIG. And yes, I feel a tad sad when I read the posts on this 20 episode thing....
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 02:28   Link #125
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Tad sad is a bit too ... underexpressed. But that is often the case with great anime that no one watches.

I was sad too when Legendary Gambler Tetsuya stopped at two episodes ... I felt so empty.
Old 2006-02-19, 02:59   Link #126
wao
OK.

If you're talking about burning a hole in a pocket, well yeah, it seems like it's more expensive because of the nice covers (they use nice paper) but it's not too different from most manga in terms of price... The later volumes have quite a bit more colour pages than the earlier volumes. For example, 5, 6 and 7 are 620 yen though 1-4 are 590 yen.

It's the shipping that's ouch. I got mine from the local Kinokuniya's because I can't order it online (no credit card), and the cost rocketed like mad, for example volume 1:

SGD 14 = USD 8.57 = 1012 yen

Compared to the price on amazon of 590 yen = 8 SGD = 5 USD!

Well, most translated local manga sells for about 5-8SGD,... so it's not really the fault of the shop I guess.

Sorry for talking about manga in an anime thread...

... just looking on amazon, the first DVD for Mushishi is 2363 yen (SGD 32) x.x For 2 episodes... but I've seen more expensive, like 5000+yen for 2 episode DVDs
Old 2006-02-24, 15:42   Link #127
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Damn, this is depressing. Only 20 episodes? If only the last six are released on DVD, I'm cool... but there is no guarantee of that yet, right? 20 *might* indeed be the last episode the Mushishi anime made?

Well, what else is there to say? The show had an amazing run; in fact, it's in my top five. And I still have a few episodes left to see, so all is good... well, not all, but I can deal.

*runs away crying*
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 02:04   Link #128
kujoe
from head to heel

I haven't checked out the manga (yet) but personally, I think Mushishi is better in manga form. It could be like that good book you bring along with you when you're travelling, or that one thing that will keep you awake all night long. It's easier to grasp when you're reading it.

However, experiencing it as an anime is a different thing entirely. I love it to bits, and I enjoy every minute of it. Plus, I think the mushi are depicted better in the anime—seeing them move and come alive—and it's got that one thing the manga doesn't have: audio. And mood, dammit. I mean, really now—a bastard like me felt a *bit* teary-eyed in that episode about that inkstone maker!

I don't know. But I think in the end—and this is coming from someone who hasn't read the manga by the way—as much as I love the anime, the anime version is there to simply enhance and complement the manga. And I have to say, judging from the anime alone, it does its job really, really well.

Too bad it's only 20 episodes.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 02:23   Link #129
wao
OK.

Personally, I feel that the anime is better than the manga by a little bit - ultimately I think it's the irresistable appeal of the characters coming alive and seeing the mushi move. The music also lends a lot of atmosphere and feeling to the show which the manga alone may not have been so good at conveying. Also, I think the anime just gives a better idea of the environment, probably because I favour the background art of the anime to the art in the manga. Although this is rather unfair to the manga...

But if you are a kind of person who is more inclined to liek manga than anime then I heartily recommend the manga to you, because really the anime is following the manga very closely so it won't be a huge difference, and furthermore the manga has many more stories inside.
Old 2006-02-27, 06:53   Link #130
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Just watched episode 13. Another amazing episode. Irony seems to be a recurring theme in these last few episodes. This one wasn't quite as emotional as the last, but it was arguably more ironic. Brilliant plot twist at the end.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 12:45   Link #131
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Watched episode 18. Another sad story but with optimism at the end.
Spoiler for Brief episode 18 comments:

I think part of the reason why Mushishi is great is because the stories leaves you with a lingering thought; a ponder for you to take away. This heightens the value of the tales and is very satisfying for our minds to wrestle at, sometimes wringing wisdom out of it.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 15:15   Link #132
DaFool
Resident devil

Well, Mushishi is my favorite anime for 2005, and the announcement for only 20 eps is somewhat no surprise.

So they can't milk the property for whats its worth with filler episodes and plushies and figurines and ero doujinshi? I say, good.

This is excellence. It is untouchable. The fact that that they've come to a decision based on commercial reasons just goes to show that this is art at its finest. I applaud Fuji TV for having aired Mushishi in the first place.

I just hope that somehow money flows back the ways of the creators. Ah, the irony.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 01:19   Link #133
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72
Ohhh....there's a thought.

I always thought there wasn't enough fanservice in this show.

I mean, come on...they could do at least one episode of Ginko at the hotsprings or at the beach in a bikini.
I admit that would make me more eager to buy the DVDs.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 04:47   Link #134
Snoop'

But you do notice that Ginko is cuter and cuter as the series goes ? Ah, that was so sweet when he crossed hastily the bridge at the beginning of ep.13 !

BTW I really enjoyed ep.13, I'll wait for the DVD to see what's happening in the dark but nevertheless, one of the most tragic episode ever. A bit like ep.4, which I love too. In fact, both had a memorable soundtrack.
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 10:21   Link #135
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
If you're talking about burning a hole in a pocket, well yeah, it seems like it's more expensive because of the nice covers (they use nice paper) but it's not too different from most manga in terms of price... The later volumes have quite a bit more colour pages than the earlier volumes. For example, 5, 6 and 7 are 620 yen though 1-4 are 590 yen.

It's the shipping that's ouch. I got mine from the local Kinokuniya's because I can't order it online (no credit card), and the cost rocketed like mad, for example volume 1:

SGD 14 = USD 8.57 = 1012 yen

Compared to the price on amazon of 590 yen = 8 SGD = 5 USD!

Well, most translated local manga sells for about 5-8SGD,... so it's not really the fault of the shop I guess.

Sorry for talking about manga in an anime thread...

... just looking on amazon, the first DVD for Mushishi is 2363 yen (SGD 32) x.x For 2 episodes... but I've seen more expensive, like 5000+yen for 2 episode DVDs
You Singaporean?

Anyway I also feel sad mushishi is only 20 eps. It is a one of those rare intellectual anime that is hardly shown that I can appreciate.

And I probably wont get a manga for mushishi even though i like it. I feel that the manga will not express the ideas and feel as well as the anime now.
Old 2006-03-03, 10:21   Link #136
wao
OK.

Hm, I watched ep 18 finally. I was actually very surprised by it. I was quite moved by the content of the episode: it's something I've thought about before. Somehow the issue is relevant to me (not that I've done it per se, though). Forgetting your roots in the rush of fame and success... The direction felt differnt this time, but I liked it - jumps from here to there but not feeling out of place. They did go chronologically, anyway. I liked the optimistic ending, though.
Spoiler:

Also, for posterity I shall elaborate a little bit on the production aspects of the show.
This episode's animation was handled by a different studio, namely Minami-machi bugyousho. The direction, storyboarding, animation directing, and animation was handled by the small studio which has previously done small OVAs in collaboration with J.C. Staff. Hence why it might seem a bit different.
The director of that episode, Osamu Yamazaki, wrote his thoughts on the episode at the BBS there, as well as another staff member going by the name of Hanayuri... interesting read...

Spoiler for About voice acting in Mushishi, including child actors:

Spoiler for ep 18 director's comments:

As for the number of episodes that will come out, I can't say I really know anything but when I looked cursorily at 2ch I didn't see anyone discussing it, except for the conformation that the last aired episode would be 20. Because when I went to Mushishi Kuukan, the special information-exchange-thingy-confusing-place there was a notice from one of the Afternoon editors that the number of episodes will be talked about by the director in the April issue of Afternoon, which has already been published (25 Feb).

It appears, from the comments left by people who have read the interview, that 20 is not the ultimate final episode of Mushishi. Apparently there's some thing with the sponsors and that's why they could only air 20 episodes, but the rest is still being worked on. I need details... I wonder where to read this interview. I must know!! Anyway, don't take it as a given, there is no good in getting your hopes up unnecessarily.

Really, anyone who can help here? Like, if you have Afternoon magazine or something...

Lastly, the 7th volume of the manga was published recently... I need to scrape up the $$ to buy it. Or should I wait a bit - will the price drop, I wonder...
Old 2006-03-03, 11:11   Link #137
EmptySoul
C1Anime

I have some information about this. Episode 20 will be the last episode to air on T.V. However this series will be 26 episodes long. The last episodes will be released on DVD in september of this year.
EmptySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 11:41   Link #138
evil-samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverE
And I probably wont get a manga for mushishi even though i like it. I feel that the manga will not express the ideas and feel as well as the anime now
Come on.. at least just check out the first volume ^^ //Link

I like the anime better then the manga, though I've only read the first volume so far, and looks like I wont ever get to read the rest last time the group released a chapter was 17 of October last year.... ^^;; *crosses fingers for it to get Licensed*

One thing I'd say is that anime is better since its colour not all anime are better in colour but Mushishi is an anime in which every episode it is so nicely made. Even for little things like in that in the episode with the swamp girl her hair turns from green to black, and alas since this is a black and white manga we are talking about it is a bit different. Plus after every episode the the calming ending music follows which I always listen to. Though a manga to which I could just read at home would be nice.. as I'm more likey to pick up the manga and just read then watch a anime episode.

EDIT//oh! so the episodes are going to be released on Dvd and will be out by september.. that seems fast to me, from what I've seen of other (Region 2) Dvd's selling online and such after being shown on Tv. (or not being shown on Tv but still apearing on the last set of Dvds)

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-03-03 at 12:03.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 16:38   Link #139
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Well, that's a breath of fresh air. At least we still get the full 26 episodes eventually. Someone will have to sub that. Given the intelligence factor of Mushishi and just the fact that some people do watch it, I'll have the complete series. Eventually.
Old 2006-03-03, 19:45   Link #140
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Well, that's a breath of fresh air. At least we still get the full 26 episodes eventually. Someone will have to sub that. Given the intelligence factor of Mushishi and just the fact that some people do watch it, I'll have the complete series. Eventually.

I promise we'll sub all of it. Just like we're doing with honey and clover's final episodes that were released on DVD only. So you dont have to worry about that much. ^_^
EmptySoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural