AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-12, 22:35   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Monogatari Series Light Novel Translation Thread

The purpose of this thread is to compile and submit any other translated chapters/arcs from the Bakemonogatari novel. For all other Bakemonogatari novel related discussion, please use the discussion thread.

Poor Ickem... just when he thought he could take a break.. we're putting him right back to work.

I'll reserve a couple of posts just in case we need the space to complete translating this novel. The already translated chapters will be linked chronologically to this thread. You guys will have to lead the way of course.

Let's have fun!

Baka-tsuki Translation project for Monogatari series.

Kizumonogatari:---

Otorimonogatari:-----

Bakemonogatari Novel:

Last edited by monir; 2012-03-18 at 15:41.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 02:42   Link #2
extramf

A lot of jokes that depend on a Japanese character are included in Bakemonogatari.
It is considerably difficult to translate this novel.
I will be assisting in translators.
extramf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 10:26   Link #3
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Kizumonogatari Chapter 3
Spoiler:

Last edited by omimon; 2011-06-14 at 11:32. Reason: Thank you to NaweG for proofreading this error-filled thing
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 14:39   Link #4
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Oh thank you so much, I thought that translator at Baka-tsuki gave up, which he probably did, keep it up!
Old 2009-11-13, 22:53   Link #5
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Kyaaa...
The appearance of Kiss Shot...

Cant wait for chapter 4...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 06:05   Link #6
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Kizumonogatari Chapter 3

I need to go to bed, I'll continue this when I wake up.

Thank you for your work! You are our hope :3
Old 2009-11-22, 20:54   Link #7
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Kizumonogatari Chapter 3
Spoiler:
Fantastic! Thank you for translating this great novel.

I would love to host this on Baka-Tsuki if you would kindly give us permission to do so?

I have sent you a p.m. and I look forward to your reply.

once again, thank you for translating this novel!
Old 2009-11-23, 08:20   Link #8
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Kizumonogatari Chapter 4

Spoiler:

If NaweG don't mind, I hope you can proofread this too. Although, I don't know if you want to wait until I finish the whole thing first.

Last edited by omimon; 2011-05-21 at 12:30.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 08:28   Link #9
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
If NaweG don't mind, I hope you can proofread this too. Although, I don't know if you want to wait until I finish the whole thing first.
Which would be less disruptive to your process? I'd hate to slow down the translation because you're having to deal with my suggestions on what you've already done before you can do the next bit...
Old 2009-11-23, 17:41   Link #10
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Which would be less disruptive to your process? I'd hate to slow down the translation because you're having to deal with my suggestions on what you've already done before you can do the next bit...
Hello NaweG, thanks to Omimon giving us permission to host his translation at Baka-Tsuki, you can help proofread Omimon translation here with minimum disruption:

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...oyomi_Vamp/004

Just register on the wiki and away you go.

Old 2009-11-23, 20:34   Link #11
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Hello NaweG, thanks to Omimon giving us permission to host his translation at Baka-Tsuki, you can help proofread Omimon translation here with minimum disruption:

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...oyomi_Vamp/004

Just register on the wiki and away you go.

Ummm... in my experience, the problem with Proofreading through a wiki is that the changes become visible when you make them. Which means the translator doesn't get a chance to review them first, and it makes it difficult to add comments with possible alternate revisions or questions that would need an answer to determine the proper phrasing and/or grammar. When I've done this professionally (technical titles), this has often led to three or four back and forth cycles to make sure everything is "just so".

Also, on a related note, I was surprised not to see a credit there for Omimon having done the translation - instead it's listed as Velocity7?
Old 2009-11-24, 06:03   Link #12
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Also, on a related note, I was surprised not to see a credit there for Omimon having done the translation - instead it's listed as Velocity7?
Looking at the project page, I can see Omimon has ben added to the main overview page as a Translator here:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...ri#Translators

And fully credited for each individual chapters on protected registration page here:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...i/Registration

But however if you see any other places that Omimon has contributed at Baka-Tsuki.org that has not been credited, please do not hesitate to contact me immediately.

Quote:
Ummm... in my experience, the problem with Proofreading through a wiki is that the changes become visible when you make them. Which means the translator doesn't get a chance to review them first, and it makes it difficult to add comments with possible alternate revisions or questions that would need an answer to determine the proper phrasing and/or grammar. When I've done this professionally (technical titles), this has often led to three or four back and forth cycles to make sure everything is "just so".
After reading your comment I can see that your approach is quite similar to both operating style of some of our projects such as Wolf & Spice, Buccano, Ghost Hunt and I think some of the later volumes of Zero no Tsukaima.

While a majority of our individual project group staff are quite satisfied with the ability to compare revisions and make a gradual "cycle" to "perfection", we do have some alternative solutions that will allow you communicate to the translator without affecting the public viewed script, effectively adding hidden changes and comments that will only be visible when editing.

The quick use of our comparative revision function will easily highlight your edits for easy viewing.

alternatively you can always use the revision function of our wiki to make edits, save, then revert back to original script.

Yet the edits you made will be saved to our database meaning you can then send the link of it to the translator for them to view. They then can review your comments and edits and revert any they wish to use.

One final solution is the use of the discussion page, which you can use at your digressions, other project teams do prefer to make sweeping edits and comments on the script here, before publicising on the main page.

However, if public viewing of an unedited script is your main concern, we can selectively lock the script to block anonymous editing and on the extreme end we can enable edit verification, i.e. All edits must be approved before modification of the pages. (as seen on the Wikipedia)

While the wiki is not completely perfect compared to the traditional face-to-face method, it brings very little disruption to the translator, yet can be an effective and efficient collaboration tool.

I hope this has somewhat alleviate your concerns over the use of the wiki.

But in the end if you and omimon are adamant that you do not wish to use the wiki in any shape or form then there is really isn't anything I can say that would change your mind.

At leased the one thing we can do at Baka-Tsuki.org is help promote Bakemonogatari to the greater community and ensure more people can access and enjoy this great novel.
Old 2009-11-24, 06:39   Link #13
NaweG
Just some guy

I can't, and won't, speak for Omimon about hosting the files in any location since that's not my decision. I'm just the help

However, the reason for the apparent discrepancy is that Omimon's credit was added after my posting was made. I'm glad to see that was taken care of. I notice there isn't a PR credit, but that's hardly the first time I've had to live without one of those.

As for the method of handling future PR work, I am awaiting Omimon's decision on that. I was just explaning the method I've used with other translators and groups and why that method has some benefits. Obviously the wiki method has the benefit of making it easier for multiple people to work on a project (since you can have multiple translators and PR folks working collaboratively at one time), and provides a good way to promote an individual chapter long term as you mentioned. I am not adamently opposed to such a setup, and in fact have used Sharepoint at some client sites to allow for work on CMMI processes to be made collaboratively.

One last question. Following the link you gave for the registration page, I see Velocity7 listed for the rest of the chapters for the book. Hopefully that means those are already being worked on?

Thanks for the info!
Old 2009-11-24, 08:05   Link #14
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
I can't, and won't, speak for Omimon about hosting the files in any location since that's not my decision. I'm just the help

However, the reason for the apparent discrepancy is that Omimon's credit was added after my posting was made. I'm glad to see that was taken care of. I notice there isn't a PR credit, but that's hardly the first time I've had to live without one of those.

As for the method of handling future PR work, I am awaiting Omimon's decision on that. I was just explaning the method I've used with other translators and groups and why that method has some benefits. Obviously the wiki method has the benefit of making it easier for multiple people to work on a project (since you can have multiple translators and PR folks working collaboratively at one time), and provides a good way to promote an individual chapter long term as you mentioned. I am not adamently opposed to such a setup, and in fact have used Sharepoint at some client sites to allow for work on CMMI processes to be made collaboratively.

One last question. Following the link you gave for the registration page, I see Velocity7 listed for the rest of the chapters for the book. Hopefully that means those are already being worked on?

Thanks for the info!
Thanks for your reply NaweG,

(sorry about the redundant p.m. copies.work habits. )

Regarding your two questions, "PR" credits (Editorial Credits as we call them at B-T) are reflected on the main page, under the listed staff section.

At the moment, no dedicated Editor(s) has been assigned, if you do not object, I would happily list you on it for reference sake, regardless if you use the wiki or not.

In regards to the second inquiry, Velocity7 has indeed registered for the rest of Kizumonogatari. However, he has stated that his decision is still "pending", which i gather is that he is still tied up with other projects and cannot give any confirmed attention to the project.

It is a policy at Baka-Tsuki in that if you have not give a clear commitment, another translator can re-register the chapter as long as a translated script is available.

Since Velocity7 has register for more or less the rest of the volume en-mass, I sure he won't mind if he has to a little less when he has his full attention back to this project....
Old 2009-11-24, 18:59   Link #15
boyinblue
Ninja
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by extramf View Post
A lot of jokes that depend on a Japanese character are included in Bakemonogatari.
It is considerably difficult to translate this novel.
I will be assisting in translators.
Yes it's considerably harder to translate a light novel than a manga. Manga after all depends on the image as much as the actual literature
boyinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 04:24   Link #16
monir
cho~ kakkoii

*raises hands* uhm.. what's my motivation?

Guys, let me know when it is time for me start linking those posts in the opening post which contain the translation for a chapter. I'll start going through the other thread also to link those already translated chapters although I'll need help at organizing them. The only reason I'm holding back is the fear of spoiling myself for the last two remaining episodes of Bakemonogatari. Once I start reading them, I know I won't be able to hold myself back.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 09:59   Link #17
Sha123

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The only reason I'm holding back is the fear of spoiling myself for the last two remaining episodes of Bakemonogatari. Once I start reading them, I know I won't be able to hold myself back.
Same here. So could anyone who knows say if you can read without spoiling the last two episodes?
Sha123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 11:08   Link #18
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha123 View Post
Same here. So could anyone who knows say if you can read without spoiling the last two episodes?
Kizu Chaps 3 and 4 are part of the "prequel", if you will, to everything that's happened. So I don't think you'd spoil anything about the last two episodes from reading them.
Old 2009-11-25, 13:38   Link #19
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Damn you're pretty impressive omimon. I got worn out just translating that one chapter of Tsubasa Cat.

About the spoilers though. It's probably best to finish watching Bake before reading Kizu since the final 2 eps should give you a better appreciation for Kizu itself. It is by far the most action packed of the novels. It also read a lot faster than the other novels.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 22:18   Link #20
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I'm ecstatic about the translation of Kizumonogatari, I hope that this will continue on til completion and must offer my heartfelt thanks! Work hard! We non-speakers are indebted to you!

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote