AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-03-17, 17:26   Link #1
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Fastest H.264 encoder?

Can anyone tell me what program will be the fastest for encoding H.264/AVC for PSP, given that the machine I'll be doing it on is a P4 2.4Ghz with Hyperthreading, 512Mb RAM and an nVidia graphics card? I did a bit of searching around the net but it doesn't seem like anybody's really done any benchmark tests comparing different encoders.
Danj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 20:24   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj
Can anyone tell me what program will be the fastest for encoding H.264/AVC for PSP, given that the machine I'll be doing it on is a P4 2.4Ghz with Hyperthreading, 512Mb RAM and an nVidia graphics card? I did a bit of searching around the net but it doesn't seem like anybody's really done any benchmark tests comparing different encoders.
Nero's is the fastest, but it cost money and is lower quality than x264, which is almost as fast... plus I'd say x264 would be easier to encode PSP/Ipod compatible movies with as there are plenty of premade profiles for that.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 20:31   Link #3
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Are you doing more than lets say 20 encodes for the PSP?

Encoding isnt only about speed (Actually it isnt). Encoding is actually all about perserving the quality. So what if it takes 40 mins to encode?

BTW is PSP made for h.264 decoding? Since I doubt it has a processor good enough to decode h.264. Try a normal codec like mpeg2.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 20:54   Link #4
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

For a comparison of PSNR/SSIM and speed of different encoders, take a look at this Doom9 thread. (Also, the ATI Avivo encoder is probably the fastest H.264 encoder now, but the quality is "lower than xvid" to quote the Doom9 thread, so you most probably don't want to use it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
BTW is PSP made for h.264 decoding?
It is. There are some limitations, though.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 03:45   Link #5
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
So what if it takes 40 mins to encode?
I don't want it to take 40 minutes, I want it to take the shortest amount of time possible. I know that in general encoding is not about speed, but since this is PSP specific I'm looking to get the maximum speed without it looking completely horrible. I want to be able to download something and then get it transcoded into PSP format without the transcoding process taking twice as long as the download did.

Quote:
BTW is PSP made for h.264 decoding? Since I doubt it has a processor good enough to decode h.264. Try a normal codec like mpeg2.
Yes the PSP has built-in hardware h.264 support.
Old 2006-03-18, 03:55   Link #6
Danj
Tech Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll
For a comparison of PSNR/SSIM and speed of different encoders, take a look at this Doom9 thread. (Also, the ATI Avivo encoder is probably the fastest H.264 encoder now, but the quality is "lower than xvid" to quote the Doom9 thread, so you most probably don't want to use it.)
That doom9 comparison is quite informative; unfortunately, the vast majority of the encoders tested have quality as a priority over usability. I am going to want to be able to select files for transcoding with just a few clicks, rather than having to use some arcane CLI command. Also I doubt the command-line encoders are able to produce PSP-compatible output directly. I would stick with PSP Video 9, but it hasn't been updated for months and so I was basically wondering if anything quicker/better had come out.

As far as Avivo is concerned, I don't have an X1000 series card; I tried the allegedly-hacked-to-run-on-all-cards version, but it just crashes when I try to run it. Someone suggested that it might require .NET framework 1.1 instead of 2.0, so I'm going to try that, but other than that, Avivo is not usable for me.
Old 2006-03-18, 04:52   Link #7
SSS
Suki Suki Sia-chan ^Q^

IIRC the ATI avivox converter no need the .net framework(its only needed if you want to install the catalyst control center + avivox converter) to run, and now can download from ATI website, which is no hack or whatever.
all you need is graphedit, and some file writer.
(imho this graphedit thing is same not use-friendly as cli apps)

as for x264 cli encoder, its able to produce standard compliant h.264 bitstream, but not the container.
if i remember corretly, you need an "atomchanger" apps to modifiy the mp4 header to make it as psp-comaptible file format.
SSS is offline   Reply With Quote