AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-11, 02:26   Link #281
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can see it now... they'll be torturing him, have whacked off a few fingers and he won't be able to tell them what the passwords are

Kona-freefire: ah... yeah that is a bit wierd. When I was first learning to shoot, I'd do that because my dominant eye didn't match my handedness (more ambidexterous fun...) ... then I'd auto-correct for the sights being off ... finally my instructor figured out what was going on

I know Kona is "supposed" to be left-handed but the clues are pointing towards ambi-clumsy
Old 2007-05-11, 02:26   Link #282
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I'm similar to Skane-sama here....the scary thing is, I type faster AND make fewer typos when I'm typing with my eyes closed, than when I'm consciously looking at my fingers, trying to catch myself from making a mistake.

Of course, I do it by memorizing what I want to type first, line by line, of course....but without my sense of sight, I somehow know when I hit the wrong key, and I know which keys to hit to correct the typo without having to see it.
That's me... I learned how to type when I was about five, "playing" a "game" called Mavis Beacon, so I just ended up learning to type without looking at my fingers. If I look at my fingers now, it just messes me up. XD With my eyes closed I type a lot faster (I'm usually at 80~90wpm) and I can feel mistakes and correct them.

Anyways, I rewatched the ep 5 raw and it reminded me of a joke...

What are Japanese dentists' favorite vacation spot?
Ha wa ii!

OK ok, I'm done.

Edit: Why does Vexx-san keep posting like one second before I do? XD
Old 2007-05-11, 02:29   Link #283
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I should mention I was a much happier and easygoing person with lots of optimism when I was in High school. That was the period of time when I was the happiest and it was university that turned me into what I am now. It just had this way of sucking all the joy and happiness out of me with how distant everybody seemed from one another on Campus. Eventually it got to me and it ended up turning me into a cynical, pessimistic and distrusting person. I actually had to stop going to campus for a while because I just couldn't stand the atmosphere there, it made me feel melancholic, though I didn't know it at the time because it also managed to suck the ability to feel emotion out of me. At one point during my third year I just stopped caring about anything really (around the time my grandmother who was the family matriarch and my pet dog for 14 years of my life died). Only now am I finally starting to regain the me that I lost at University.
Sorry, Kaio-chi, but I simply couldn't help this....

Spoiler:

Don't take it personally. It's just a joke.

P.S. I just know I'm going to incur some negacookies from this one....

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-05-11 at 02:47.
Old 2007-05-11, 02:32   Link #284
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa
Why does Vexx-san keep posting like one second before I do? XD
[tylerdurden]Because you're the same person.[/tylerdurden]

edit: Hrmm... so Kaioshin is a character in a seinen manga? That explains... well, nothing at all really.
Old 2007-05-11, 02:34   Link #285
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Edit: Why does Vexx-san keep posting like one second before I do? XD
For the same reason as Akiko-san; Vexx-jiji is just great that way.
Old 2007-05-11, 04:17   Link #286
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Was anyone else annoyed that Konata closed her right eye when she aimed the rifle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Haven't seen it (still waiting for EnA) but if she's shooting left-handed that would make sense. I use whichever eye is closest to the "gunhand" (ambi-uncoordinated)
She was shooting right-handed. Her left eye was on the outside.
Quote:
Kona-freefire: ah... yeah that is a bit wierd. When I was first learning to shoot, I'd do that because my dominant eye didn't match my handedness (more ambidexterous fun...) ... then I'd auto-correct for the sights being off ... finally my instructor figured out what was going on

I know Kona is "supposed" to be left-handed but the clues are pointing towards ambi-clumsy
I noticed Konata closing her right eye immediately. I was on my high school's riflery team and still have somewhat of an interest in firearms today (although the only guns I own are Airsoft ones). It didn't really bother me since one person on the riflery team was a lefty but right-eye dominant, if I remember correctly. I just found it odd. And I'm sure it's not an animator mistake since as everyone knows, this is the studio that worked on Full Metal Panic!: TSR and Fumoffu (and keeps reminding us ).

So either Kona-chan is ambidextrous but favors her right hand and is left-eye dominant, or she is messing around. Or the animators did that to mess with the gun-otaku out there.
Old 2007-05-11, 05:13   Link #287
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I hate that I'm making a post that's so ridiculously off topic, but I just can't let these slurs against university education pass. Obviously, it's different from person to person, but I've completed four years of undergrad and am into my second year of post-grad at my University, and I love the life of a student. The culture, the people, the academic pursuit of learning and thinking and now in post-grad, the research, all of it is wonderful, exciting and intellectually stimulating, IMO. I'm just saying offering an alternate point of view on what's been presented on this topic, since my experiences with university education have been anything but bad. Maybe some people just aren't made for that type of environment, or maybe some universities just plain suck, but I'd hate if people were discouraged from attending university from reading posts made in this thread, since it can potentially be the time of your life. I mean, it has for me.
Old 2007-05-11, 05:54   Link #288
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
but without my sense of sight, I somehow know when I hit the wrong key, and I know which keys to hit to correct the typo without having to see it.
Yeah, that happens to me, too. It's not that I'm closing my eyes, but if I keep on staring at the screen while I type I tend to notice I made a mistake even before analyzing the result on the screen... My fingers go to "backspace" almost immediately.

Of course, I type faster in Spanish, because it's my mother tongue, and I make quite a few mistakes while typing English. My average I think it was of 60~70 wpm.

About University, well, I just started it, and I'm not complaining. Classes are not much of a hassle, and I found friends almost immediately (that's surprising considering the huge amount of time that took me to find true friends in high school...).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-11, 09:19   Link #289
Meophist

We have dominant eyes? Dominant hands and feet, I know, but I haven't heard about eyes until now.

As for my typing, I could type pretty quickly, but I make mistakes so commonly that backspace becomes a regular part of my typing. Even if I'm doing it blind, I could tell where I made my mistakes and press the backspace button the right number of times to correct it. And I do this automatically without thinking. Sometimes I consistantly make a typo and correct it for when I type certain words.

In any case, all of this off-topic stuff reminds me of how the actual show goes.
Old 2007-05-11, 09:23   Link #290
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
We have dominant eyes? Dominant hands and feet, I know, but I haven't heard about eyes until now.
~
Yup, we have dominant eyes. If you're Singaporean, you'll learn this bit of trivia by the age of 18, if not earlier, due to the military.

(still doesn't prevent "bo-bo" shooters from shooting two lanes off from time to time though)

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-11, 09:43   Link #291
Code001
Mac OS X Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Code001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
I noticed Konata closing her right eye immediately. I was on my high school's riflery team and still have somewhat of an interest in firearms today (although the only guns I own are Airsoft ones). It didn't really bother me since one person on the riflery team was a lefty but right-eye dominant, if I remember correctly. I just found it odd. And I'm sure it's not an animator mistake since as everyone knows, this is the studio that worked on Full Metal Panic!: TSR and Fumoffu (and keeps reminding us ).

So either Kona-chan is ambidextrous but favors her right hand and is left-eye dominant, or she is messing around. Or the animators did that to mess with the gun-otaku out there.
It's very possible that she's left-eye dominant but has to hold the rifle right-handed due to the way the rounds eject on certain rifles (and it's just become a second nature thing for her to shoulder it right-handed). I know a few people like that, and it really hinders their ability to shoot accurately. However, it's ideal to shoot with both eyes open if you can.
Old 2007-05-11, 09:52   Link #292
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I hate that I'm making a post that's so ridiculously off topic, but I just can't let these slurs against university education pass. Obviously, it's different from person to person, but I've completed four years of undergrad and am into my second year of post-grad at my University, and I love the life of a student. The culture, the people, the academic pursuit of learning and thinking and now in post-grad, the research, all of it is wonderful, exciting and intellectually stimulating, IMO. I'm just saying offering an alternate point of view on what's been presented on this topic, since my experiences with university education have been anything but bad. Maybe some people just aren't made for that type of environment, or maybe some universities just plain suck, but I'd hate if people were discouraged from attending university from reading posts made in this thread, since it can potentially be the time of your life. I mean, it has for me.
All of what you said is true, it was mostly the people that ruined it for me. First year was fine, second year wasn't even remotely as good, third year the people were terrible excuses for human beings and 4th year was slightly better again but not as good as first and second year. The learning is what made it worth it in my opinion, but it wasn't anywhere near as fun as high school. My High School was other peoples University.

Also the vast majority of views on University that have been discussed in this thread outweigh my one negative experience and are generally positive. I'm not sure anybody is worried and that you needed to counter anything really.

@Ascaloth: I know it was good wasn't it, but all if it is kind of true, especially the part about my Grandmother and dog dying.
Old 2007-05-11, 09:55   Link #293
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code001 View Post
It's very possible that she's left-eye dominant but has to hold the rifle right-handed due to the way the rounds eject on certain rifles (and it's just become a second nature thing for her to shoulder it right-handed). I know a few people like that, and it really hinders their ability to shoot accurately. However, it's ideal to shoot with both eyes open if you can.
Technically, she won't know that until when she seriously handled a real gun or had extensive knowledge of first-person shooters, which aren't popular in Japan. Besides, the rifle she's using shoots either darts or ball bearings, and ejects nothing. She had nothing to worry about.

Just clarification...I'm not arguing for anything.
Old 2007-05-11, 09:57   Link #294
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

@Sorrow-K: I whole heartily agree with you. The years I spent in my undergraduate where possibly the best years in my life so far. There was when I discovered what my true vocation was, when I discovered how great it is to have acquaintances which strive for a similar future than yours, how good friends can a thesis adviser be, etc. Now that I am about to start my graduate studies next Fall, I am looking forward to all the opportunities I will have to expand my knowledge, meet people from other parts of the world from my field, etc.

on topic: The karaoke song was a blast. Normally comedy series make me only mentally laugh, since I am a serious person in real life. However I could not help smiling at Konata's hysterical singing
Old 2007-05-11, 09:58   Link #295
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

My guess about Konata's pose: she thought that pose made her look cute and was hitting on the guy handing out prizes.
Old 2007-05-11, 10:05   Link #296
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
You know, Konata closing her right eye didn't bother me, since there are some folks who shoot right-handed but sight with their left eye.

What bothered me is that she closed her eye without actually looking down the sights! Of course, I doubt she ACTUALLY intended to shoot the guy, so I'm sure she was just posing. Edit: Too slow, Anh Minh said it before me. >_<

Risaa, congratulations! Maybe I can take a trip and say "Hello" if I get some time off when I'm at Yamasa.
Old 2007-05-11, 10:06   Link #297
Code001
Mac OS X Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Code001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Technically, she won't know that until when she seriously handled a real gun or had extensive knowledge of first-person shooters, which aren't popular in Japan. Besides, the rifle she's using shoots either darts or ball bearings, and ejects nothing. She had nothing to worry about.

Just clarification...I'm not arguing for anything.
Hmm, that's true. Then, the only other thing I can come up with (besides an animation error/user error) would be that she's a gun-otaku and always tries to shoot the way she'd shoot a real rifle.

Edit: And there's the "being cute" thing....
Old 2007-05-11, 10:24   Link #298
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...I know Kona is "supposed" to be left-handed but the clues are pointing towards ambi-clumsy
Japanese Wikipedia, which has voluminous descriptions of the characters, based on the comic, declares that she is ambidextrous.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-11, 10:33   Link #299
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
@Ascaloth: I know it was good wasn't it, but all if it is kind of true, especially the part about my Grandmother and dog dying.
Well....okay. So what were you expecting, a hug?
Old 2007-05-11, 10:39   Link #300
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Well....okay. So what were you expecting, a hug?
No, I think you just came up with that idea on the spot it, I was stating that I was overselling the whole University experience a bit, much like a soliloquy in a tragedy, but that it has truth to it.

What is also true is that really need to, I don't know, give it a rest a bit shall we say and stop finding reasons to portray me as some sort of paranoid madman demon poster. There's good fun and then there is harassment and you're stradling the line and it has ceased being amusing. Maybe find something to occupy your time as you have said you are bored. I'm through with you for the time being if you are going to continue to deliberately find ways in which to portray me as someone I'm not.
Closed Thread