Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-28, 22:56   Link #361
WONDERMIKE
kanpai!

Send a message via ICQ to WONDERMIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Read about it over the weekend. Only thought is the Death Penalty is design for people like this.
just that death penalty won't change anything, these sort of people are mentally ill and don't think about punishment, people over here also think it would be a easy way for him to get away with his crimes

when I think about austrian laws it's pure luck that we are talking about a 73-year-old criminal - it's a problem when crimes happened long ago.. but this man will never get out of jail/mental home

a short list on what you get for raping somebody in Austria:

without injuring the victim an no pregnancy minimum is 6 months(!!!!) while maximum is 10 years, when the victim gets harmed or pregnant it's a minimum of 5 years to a maximum of 15 years, when the victim dies it's 10 to 20 years with the chance of a life sentence(but I never heard of anyone getting one)
Old 2008-04-28, 23:01   Link #362
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WONDERMIKE View Post
just that death penalty won't change anything, these sort of people are mentally ill and don't think about punishment, people over here also think it would be a easy way for him to get away with his crimes

when I think about austrian laws it's pure luck that we are talking about a 73-year-old criminal - it's a problem when crimes happened long ago.. but this man will never get out of jail/mental home

a short list on what you get for raping somebody in Austria:

without injuring the victim an no pregnancy minimum is 6 months(!!!!) while maximum is 10 years, when the victim gets harmed or pregnant it's a minimum of 5 years to a maximum of 15 years, when the victim dies it's 10 to 20 years with the chance of a life sentence(but I never heard of anyone getting one)
what kind of mush brain leftist wrote these laws?
Old 2008-04-28, 23:30   Link #363
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Oh, the Austrian case. Man, that was something. But, I didn't batter an eyelid. Monsters do exist.
Old 2008-04-29, 01:11   Link #364
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
what kind of mush brain leftist wrote these laws?
The same kind of son of a bitch who doesn't give a damn about left and right, since he is only guided by his own interests, and those are ideology-agnostic.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were discussing ideology in a serious and adult manner. Nothing to see here, move along.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-04-29, 01:21   Link #365
WONDERMIKE
kanpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The same kind of son of a bitch who doesn't give a damn about left and right.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were discussing ideology in a serious and adult manner. Nothing to see here, move along.

thanks to the right/conservative parties we have very strict laws when it comes to financial crimes, Wesley Snipes for example would more likely end up with 13 and not just 3 years for tax avoidance
Old 2008-04-29, 01:29   Link #366
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
thanks to the right/conservative parties we have very strict laws when it comes to financial crimes, Wesley Snipes for example would more likely end up with 13 and not just 3 years for tax avoidance
I was mainly referring to the fact that people on power seldom act based on sheer ideology, and that is something to have in mind when discussing these sorts of issues. It has a lot more to do with personal interests than with such intangible things that, honestly speaking, are far beyond the grasp (and the interest!) of many of those who partake of the powers that be.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-04-29, 12:24   Link #367
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Or some politicians were worried about their own behavior in their private lives - hence the paltry minimum

Most likely the text was taken from some other boilerplate template and just managed to drift through legislation without ever really being thought about. You don't think politicians actually *think* closely about many of the bills they pass, do you?

Its also the case that judges need flexibility for those murky cases where someone is claiming rape but the judge/jury would like to troutslap everyone including any witnesses for rampant idiocy (like a domestic violence trial my wife got to juror for recently --- the summary sounded cut'n'dried but by the time the details were fully explained, the jury wanted to put everyone involved in jail including the neighbors ).

Quote:
Oh, the Austrian case. Man, that was something. But, I didn't batter an eyelid. Monsters do exist.
Apparently very *handy* monsters with lots of remodeling skills and quite a hardware store bill. His wife must have uber-skills in self-denial.
Old 2008-04-29, 23:53   Link #368
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Or some politicians were worried about their own behavior in their private lives - hence the paltry minimum

Most likely the text was taken from some other boilerplate template and just managed to drift through legislation without ever really being thought about. You don't think politicians actually *think* closely about many of the bills they pass, do you?

Its also the case that judges need flexibility for those murky cases where someone is claiming rape but the judge/jury would like to troutslap everyone including any witnesses for rampant idiocy (like a domestic violence trial my wife got to juror for recently --- the summary sounded cut'n'dried but by the time the details were fully explained, the jury wanted to put everyone involved in jail including the neighbors ).

Apparently very *handy* monsters with lots of remodeling skills and quite a hardware store bill. His wife must have uber-skills in self-denial.
Agreed. My local paper highlighted a similar case in France.
Old 2008-04-30, 13:40   Link #369
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
The father faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted on rape charges, the most grave of his alleged offenses under Austrian law. However, prosecutors said Tuesday they were investigating whether he can be charged with "murder through failure to act" in connection with the infant's death. That is punishable by up to 20 years in prison
While I agree that judges needs some flexible in sentence but the max they can give this guy is only 15 years?

The daughter was kidnapped for 24 years and he only gets 15. Does that sound right to anyone?
Old 2008-04-30, 14:30   Link #370
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's why they're looking for more laws he's broken to staple to him.
I find it kind of interesting that rape is "more grave" than kidnapping (don't know if they differentiate between kidnapping and kidnapping-with-violence). I don't see what the maximum penalty is for kidnapping (holding someone against their will) or for domestic abuse .... hell, there's a whole mess of laws he's broken including probably violating local ordnances for remodeling without a permit.

They'll just keep stacking infraction charges on him. I also don't know if the laws there permit sequential sentences rather than parallel sentences.
Old 2008-04-30, 15:53   Link #371
WONDERMIKE
kanpai!

there's a chance to get him for murder/denial of assistance because of the dead baby - another option for a higher sentence is slavery

deprivation of freedom(=kidnapping?) has a maximum of 10 years as long as the kidnapping lasts longer than a month

the problem with the laws is that nobody thought of such extreme crimes(most of them were created in the 70ies and adapted afterwards)
Old 2008-04-30, 17:19   Link #372
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
While I agree that judges needs some flexible in sentence but the max they can give this guy is only 15 years?

The daughter was kidnapped for 24 years and he only gets 15. Does that sound right to anyone?
Oh wow 15years that is really light punishment compare to what he did. Then again this guy is pretty old so I don't think life in prison will be do much for him, this guy needs a death sentence. I really hope that Austrian court doesn't go light on him because of his age, his crime has to be one of the most disgusting crime in a century.
Old 2008-04-30, 18:30   Link #373
U<3Anime
Boo!

Death is just a quick way for this bastard to escape...... They need to torture this guy in the same he tortured his children or some other way....as long it get's him begging for mercy. Maybe like cut off his p**** or even his b***s
Old 2008-05-03, 23:21   Link #374
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Lego's latest brick trick: a virtual world

Quote:
1 May, 2008

BILLUND, Denmark (Reuters) - Millions of children pick up Lego bricks each year to spend hours - 5 billion, in fact - creating their own imaginary worlds. Now the manufacturer of the little plastic playing blocks wants to take them online to "Lego Universe," a virtual world for fans of the ubiquitous toy.

Lego Universe joins an established trend where toys and video games are cross-promoted, such as Nintendo Co Ltd's Pokemon TV show, game card, toys and video game franchise, and Mattel Inc's Barbie online shopping and gaming portal at barbie.com.

To launch next year as a massively multiplayer online game, or MMOG to those in the gaming community, Lego Universe will let players create online versions of themselves and interact with each other. "We want to make the connection between digital play and physical play," said Mark William Hansen who is in charge of Lego Universe.

Lego Universe will initially launch as a PC game, available in stores or as a download, and may eventually be available on other gaming platforms. It will operate as a pay-as-you-go subscription service at a "competitive price", Hansen said.
Old 2008-06-08, 01:48   Link #375
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Just in. Today... just couple of hours ago, a young man drove a truck into crowd of pedestrian's in Akihabara, Tokyo. He then jumped out of the car, and proceeded to stab over 10 people with a knife. 17 people have been injured, and 5 of them have gone into cardiac arrest. (Of which, 3 have been reported dead so far)

Akihabara is, as you probably know, a mecca of anime/game otaku with dozens anime/manga stores, video game stores, and electronics.
Sundays are " pedestrian's ‘paradise" day in Akihabara, where cars are not allowed to pass and pedestrians are free to walk on the road.

The man was identified to be a 25 year old IT industry employee. Whether this crime was aimed at otakus out of hatred or not is unknown yet.

Last edited by aohige; 2008-06-08 at 02:03.
Old 2008-06-08, 02:29   Link #376
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sometimes what one hears is the individual is too much a coward to just hang himself, so he wants to take an "honor guard into hell" with him and then the government will take care of killing him.

It really isn't much use trying to over-analyze these fruitcakes --- they connect the dots in ways that just leave the rest of us saying, "what??!". I tend to think of them in the same category as freak events of nature since it seems most societies produce them on occasion.

This sort of stuff must just shock the hell out of the japanese public
Old 2008-06-08, 04:25   Link #377
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
to add to that news story aohige...
akihabara rampage

Quote:
The 18 victims who were all taken to hospital after the stabbing rampage were 15 men and three women, including a traffic police officer who was patrolling at the time.
all i wanna know is, how the hell did he get that many people with a freaking knife?!
i know japan "don't do helping others out and will ignore any signs of trouble" - but come on that's so extreme that he was able to take down so many people like that :\

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-06-08, 04:54   Link #378
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All it takes is enough people distracted by their daily routine but yeah, its kind of surprising he was able to commit so much damage with one knife. He must have been in quite a frenzy. I recall a few other news stories that ended with the perp being gang-tackled by alert civilians quickly.... not so this time.
Old 2008-06-08, 05:27   Link #379
roan

Mystique, from what I saw on the news, after he got out of the truck, he went around stabbing the people that were already on the ground and injured because of the truck + the people that were trying to help them, then ran through a couple of alleyways and stabbed people here and there.

It probably happened so fast and unexpectedly that the other people over there didn't know how to react.
Old 2008-06-08, 07:41   Link #380
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
so rather it's a hit and stab+run attack huh? :\

And yeah, those already injured on the ground wouldn't have had much of a chance and if you're in a society that's relatively safe, most people's instincts wouldn't be on high alert to react to defend or prevent any more bloodshed...

Sad tale though, hope it doesn't give akihabara too much of a bad name (even more?)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international