AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-11-25, 22:54   Link #13061
Discreet
The Fascist

Not just insane, mind you, insane, mysterious, deep and coherent if you thought about it enough. A paradox, but that's how awesome FLCL was.

Sorry, but I loved that show.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 22:57   Link #13062
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Me too. First real anime I ever watched. I even bought the special edition DVDs.

It also marked the last of good Gainax anime, up until Gurren Lagann. Sadly.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 02:12   Link #13063
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Me too. First real anime I ever watched. I even bought the special edition DVDs.

It also marked the last of good Gainax anime, up until Gurren Lagann. Sadly.
Sounds like you haven't watched Top wo Nerae! 2. They abandoned Top wo Nerae! 1's realistic super robot perspective and gave it all out insane super robot action which also led to what you see in Gurren Lagann.

As much as I love Haruhi-sama and my mecha anime, One Piece has been the most enjoyable for the past 10 years. At least for the manga it is perfect, the anime just has to remove that 5% of fillers and it is perfect as well.

One Piece has so much originality in it, we have already admitted that the writer and artist, Eiichiro Oda, is a true genius and we have no worries about how the story is going at all.

Too bad 4kids destroyed One Piece in the west. One Piece has been reigning in the top 7 of anime and manga ratings for 10 years in East Asia. It is the best manga ever. It continues to rise in epicness every chapter not losing steam, something no other manga has ever been able to do, for 10 years and going. We are now supposedly at the halfway mark of the story or just passed it. If we continue on, it would mean we would have levels of epicness similar to TTGL's last few episodes, and more, for the next 5 to 10 years until it ends.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 02:33   Link #13064
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
...That was a side joke in Toradora.
Here's some WMG signs that Kushieda likes girls:

1. Her skinship with other girls. Like Itsuko, she seems a little too comfortable entering other girls' personal space. But she never does the same with guys.

2. Her shaking fear when she was locked in the storeroom with Ryuuji can be interpreted as a fear of men.

Quote:
Unoriginality is not bad.

All that matters in fiction works is the writing, not the content, although having both helps.

Too bad originality, is, you know, dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
Totally original? That doesn't exist.

Some innovative series, though?

First that comes to mind would be FLCL which I still triumph as combination insanity and genius. And forgiving the troped to hell characters, I would also put Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya somewhere on the list.
Is it even possible to be truly original anymore? Thanks to historically unprecedented levels in communications, record preservation and literacy; every bit of our current culture can have its roots traced to a past analogue.

I believe FLCL was made by combining every mindbreaking idea Gainax had that was fun, and those that were emo went to EVA. Too bad they seem to have be tapped out after that.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 03:00   Link #13065
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
2. Her shaking fear when she was locked in the storeroom with Ryuuji can be interpreted as a fear of men.
I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling you, but...it's not fear of men. Episode 9 of the anime should shed some light on the situation for you, unless it's changed drastically from the part of novel 4 that it seems it's based off of.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 14:18   Link #13066
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
Is it even possible to be truly original anymore? Thanks to historically unprecedented levels in communications, record preservation and literacy; every bit of our current culture can have its roots traced to a past analogue.
Don't even start. I've read up on too much McLuhan and Baudrillard, and would like to not read even more about them or their concepts right now.

But yes, total originality is alienating, and alienating your customers does not make good commercial sense. (It might make good artistic sense, which is one difficulty in deciding whether a certain incomprehensible piece of artwork is truly original or just pretentious.) This isn't to say that completely original works will never be accepted, but just that it's a toss-up.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 03:08   Link #13067
TheodoreIV

I was wondering if we had come to some conclusions on certain topics of discussion. Firstly, what're all of the genderbended character's official names? Secondly, what're all of Mitsuuru's costumes and which of Mikuru's are they replacing? As in, is he gonna wear the frog suit, or are we going to replace it with something else? Nurse costume? Thirdly, what's Kyonko's relationship with Mitsuuru? Does she see him as a more of a cute little brother or is she a bit of a shotacon? Fourthly(?), what's Kyonko's fetish that serves as the equivalent of Kyon's ponytail fetish? Lastly, does Yuuki keep the glasses or not and is Kyonko a "glasses girl" or not?
TheodoreIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 08:54   Link #13068
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
A random idea I had requires the answer to a question: did we ever figure out what to do with Shamisen in the Seitenkan-verse?
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 11:11   Link #13069
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheodoreIV View Post
I was wondering if we had come to some conclusions on certain topics of discussion. Firstly, what're all of the genderbended character's official names?
Kyon > Kyon, but to differentiate between M/F on the forum, we call the female one Kyonko;
Haruhi Suzumiya > Haruki Suzumiya;
Yuki Nagato > Yuuki Nagato;
Mikuru Asahina > Mitsuuru Asahina, Mitsuru Asahina;
Itsuki Koizumi > Itsuko Koizumi;
Ryouko Asakura > Ryou Asakura;
Emiri Kimidori > Emori Kimidori.

Anyone else not mentioned either only has a surname or is getting the BRIDGE. CROSS. LATER. treatment.

Quote:
Secondly, what're all of Mitsuuru's costumes and which of Mikuru's are they replacing? As in, is he gonna wear the frog suit, or are we going to replace it with something else? Nurse costume?
I know for sure the maid suit isn't changing so he's a trap maid, but I've only heard rumors that he's wearing the butler suit instead of the nurse suit. I wouldn't think the frog suit would be changing, but I'm sure that's a BRIDGE. CROSS. LATER.

Quote:
Thirdly, what's Kyonko's relationship with Mitsuuru? Does she see him as a more of a cute little brother or is she a bit of a shotacon?
Cute little brother.

Quote:
Fourthly(?), what's Kyonko's fetish that serves as the equivalent of Kyon's ponytail fetish?
Ask one of the editors; I forget what we decided on.

Quote:
Lastly, does Yuuki keep the glasses or not and is Kyonko a "glasses girl" or not?
I...don't know. Ask one of the editors.

Last edited by vivify93; 2008-11-27 at 17:38.
vivify93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 12:12   Link #13070
unmoldedtruck

Send a message via AIM to unmoldedtruck
Kyonko no longer has a fetish. It's Haruhiko's fetish now.

Mitsuuru is wearing the butler suit.

I'd like Kyonko to be a shotacon but...
unmoldedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 14:39   Link #13071
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
I'd like a 14 inch penis.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 17:05   Link #13072
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Girls don't have fetishes. That's silly.
Old 2008-11-27, 17:17   Link #13073
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivify93 View Post
Quote:
I was wondering if we had come to some conclusions on certain topics of discussion. Firstly, what're all of the genderbended character's official names?
Kyon > Kyon, but to differentiate between M/F on the forum, we call the female one Kyonko;;
Haruhi Suzumiya > Haruki Suzumiya;
Yuki Nagato > Yuuki Nagato;
Mikuru Asahina > Mitsuuru Asahina, Mitsuru Asahina
Itsuki Koizumi > Itsuko Koizumi
Ryouko Asakura > Ryou Asakura
Emiri Kimidori > Emori Kimidori

Anyone else not mentioned either only has a surname or is getting the BRIDGE. CROSS. LATER. treatment.
Just to clarify, those are the official names for this site, this thread, and this project. Go over to the Japanese sites and there are a couple notable differences, but seems it's months too late to change our official names as far as here goes. People have gotten too used to them.
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 17:38   Link #13074
unmoldedtruck

Send a message via AIM to unmoldedtruck
Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for middle schoolers.
unmoldedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 17:44   Link #13075
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Thanksgiving was over a month ago.

In Canada.
Old 2008-11-27, 17:51   Link #13076
vivify93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos. Ugh, self, you dumbass...
Girls don't have fetishes. That's silly.
My friend has a biting/scratching/whips/chains/bondage/rape roleplay fetish; this is the same girl who helped me devise the fact that Kyonko and Itsuko's chests transfer to the boys the same way Mikuru's chest transferred to Mitsuuru. Her name is Raven--she says "hi," Beanbag. Give any hopes up--she has American 36-C's and looks mature for her age, which is 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanbag
I'd like a 14 inch penis.
Eek, really? I'd be happy with an eight-incher... Sheesh, think of the woman's sheer, undulating pain if you were to--you know what, on second thought, this isn't really a conversation I want to get into...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanbag
Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for middle schoolers.
I'm thankful for my damn sexy phy-ed teacher. Once again I'm on the same wavelength as Beanbag. Gasp! ...Even though my phy-ed teacher is older than me... Still, I'm like, Opposito Beanbag or something, I swear. I like older people, or people my age so long as they look older.

Last edited by vivify93; 2008-11-27 at 18:06. Reason: i r teh dumassness
vivify93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 18:02   Link #13077
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

...I was being ironic...

And I'm not Danchou. I'm more like Demi-Danchou.

I just post more than he does.
Old 2008-11-27, 18:05   Link #13078
vivify93

Right, right, I know. I'm getting confused. Gosh, this is so embarrassing...

EDIT: There we are. All fixed.

EDIT 2: I get confused because, IIRC, Kaisos and Danchou have similar avatars most of the time, yes? I look at avatars rather than username most of the time, and I did those quotes by hand (forums' looks to be on borked mode)... So yes. Logical reasoning.
Old 2008-11-27, 19:08   Link #13079
Jintor

I keep being forcibly reminded of how weird you guys are.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 19:23   Link #13080
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I keep being forcibly reminded of how weird you guys are.
Yeah, that pretty much did it again.
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan