AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-24, 17:59   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Toradora! - Character Discussion - Kitamura Yuusaku

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kitamura Yuusaku related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Toradora! fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-12-06 at 04:46.
Old 2008-10-24, 18:19   Link #2
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Superiority complex refers to a subconscious neurotic mechanism of compensation developed by the individual as a result of feelings of inferiority. (Alfred Adler)

So far, this is only vibe I getting from him in the anime.
Old 2008-10-24, 18:52   Link #3
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
I haven't really gotten any "feelings of superiority" vibes from him yet; so far he mainly seems to be the "nice-(glasses-)guy" sort.
Old 2008-10-24, 19:32   Link #4
msuwildog80

I dont know. I agree with stormy001

So far all we seen of him, is that sly smile he gets whenever he realizes Taiga is pinning for him.
Old 2008-10-24, 21:23   Link #5
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I'm with Cat Megex on this one. If that were true, then he would be a bit more egotistical. And even though he is good with women, he believes he isn't.
Old 2008-10-24, 21:43   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Spoiler for ep 4:

He hasn't done anything yet, but he probably has some underlying feelings against Takasu because he's taken Taiga from him, so now he's going after Minori out of spite(when I say 'going after' I mean just joining the same activities). Actually, since Ryuuji was considered scary, which in context, means he'd think of himself as better, Kitamura became friends with him to show everyone that Ryuuji wasn't all that, and because he[kitamura] was superior, he could be friends simply because he[kitamura] is the superior person. Then, when Kitamura noticed the subtle hints that Ryuuji liked Minorin, he joined the softball team and student council to be near Minorin, just so he can show Ryuuji that he's better than him. Of course he didn't expect Ryuuji to catch Taiga like he did, so that's why he mentioned to Taiga to be friends, so that he can slowly take Taiga away from Ryuuji while staying close to Minori(so Ryuuji can feel down). Only then, will he feel the joy that only a superior person as himself can feel when he shows those who he befriended that they are not superior to him.
Old 2008-10-24, 22:56   Link #7
sgwc
I'm just a support char..

Wow, frubam. Your speculation is a wow. Maybe you got that from reading the novels. Nice one.

This Kitamura guy is like a friend who will become your worst enemy.
Old 2008-10-24, 22:58   Link #8
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I think Kitamura and Minori would make a good match. Serious. They are always both so cheerful and positive while their buddies are creatures you don't want to touch or get too close.
Old 2008-10-25, 00:13   Link #9
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Ehh...I won't say anything more, as this is in itself may be a spoiler, but there seems to be someone else that Kitamura likes by this point. (Remember that he said he had forgotten he still had Taiga's picture? If he still had feelings for her, you would think that he wouldn't have forgotten about it.)
Old 2008-10-25, 01:06   Link #10
Clarste
Human

He doesn't even need to have someone else to simply not like her that way anymore. The implicit scenario is that he liked her a year ago, confessed, got rejected, and moved on with his life.
Old 2008-10-25, 01:15   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
(Remember that he said he had forgotten he still had Taiga's picture? If he still had feelings for her, you would think that he wouldn't have forgotten about it.)
Baaa, he merely said that to throw off Ryuuji, creating a faux sense of doubt in Ryuuji's mind that he isn't as interested in Taiga, when the fact is, it's the total opposite. There's no way that the VP of the Student Council and member(captain?) of the softball club is going to forget a picture of a girl he likes for an entire year, inside a handbook he normally carries.

As he is superior, he has to show his intelligence by figuring out that the photographs are from Taiga, perhaps he was even eavesdropping(intentional or no). He sees this as a chance to attack Ryuuji's confidence, though it has no effect in terms of Ryuuji liking Taiga romantically, because he doesn't, but since Kitamura does not know this, as superior people like him always assume the worst-case scenario, he does it anyway. What a cunning bastard >.>!
Old 2008-10-25, 01:56   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Despite the revelations in the most recent ep 4, Kitamura is still largely a mystery in regard to his motivations. frubam's theory certainly is hilarious and intriguing (and I'm purposely not getting ahead in the novels/manga to illuminate anything) but I have to file it as "alternative explanation" for now

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-25 at 02:40.
Old 2008-10-25, 02:20   Link #13
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Kitamura still looks like a stalker goof even after episode 4, and yes he doesn't seem to have any underlying feelings for Taaga anymore. You are just looking too deep. frubam, you are chasing a black cat in a black room, that isn't even there.
Old 2008-10-25, 05:57   Link #14
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Kitamura as a cunning bastard... Now that would be a plot twist...

So far he looked more like a very transparent character: saying what he thinks or simply acting with little concern for "normal" behavior patterns.
Maybe it's an aftereffect of Hanai, but this is the kind of characters I can relate the most; but what's with this trend of making them into athletes? And super-popular with the ladies to boot!

But it is true that, according to my memories of middle school, extravagant behavior can trigger mass-popularity effect in distant crowds of girls; maybe it has to do with the extravagant behavior causing a gentleman aura, opposed to the normal jerks; and the distance blurring the oddity...
Old 2008-10-25, 16:21   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

An aside question: when did being fond of someone, worshipping them from afar, being frozen by stage-fright to actually approach a person, or pining about them become "stalking" (with all of its negative and illegal connotations)?

I feel like a lot of posters are tossing that word around with too much ease....
Old 2008-10-25, 16:49   Link #16
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I don't believe Taiga is stalker-quality like Hinata or anyone, but she is clearly obsessed.
Old 2008-10-31, 13:41   Link #17
Kikuchi

I just read several chapters of the volume 4 of novel yesterday and I must say I don't get this guy at all.

He's like, totally out of it. Almost in bad way. His "I do not care" attitude about Ami's personnality, for instance, is shocking, to say the least.

I don't hate him or anything, but I can't where this character is going. At all.
Old 2008-10-31, 13:48   Link #18
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
I just read several chapters of the volume 4 of novel yesterday and I must say I don't get this guy at all.

He's like, totally out of it. Almost in bad way. His "I do not care" attitude about Ami's personnality, for instance, is shocking, to say the least.

I don't hate him or anything, but I can't where this character is going. At all.
He's just a scheming sly bastard! You see how he brought Ami to that restaurant with the intention of showing Ryuuji Ami's true personality, so that Ryuuji can 'fix' the problem down the road. He doesn't really care about showing others how Ami really is, it's just a front with hopefully Ryuuji feeling sympathetic toward her and devote more time for her instead of Taiga, so he can jump in and take her away from Ryuuji.
Old 2008-11-13, 00:34   Link #19
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

All this bad mouthing of Kitamura. Things are being attributed to him that are in no way revealed so far in the anime.

He's made friends with Ryuuji and is the only one who seems to care about the fact that he's a decent guy underneath the scary face. He even makes effort to help others see that.

He's observant and insightful. He shows that by pointing out how much different Taiga is when she's with Ryuuji. And he has the self-restraint not to be overcome by emotion when she confesses to him, instead calmly assures her that he'll commit to a friendship with her.

He's good at sports, but doesn't make it out to be a big deal.

He's popular with girls, but doesn't gloat over it or take advantage of it. If anything, he's indifferent about it, politely brushing off their attention.

He supports the president from the sidelines, and trys to keep her from making a fool of herself, without looking for any credit for himself.

Quote:
He's just a scheming sly bastard! You see how he brought Ami to that restaurant with the intention of showing Ryuuji Ami's true personality...
Say WHAT!? Talk about reading things into the scene. There's nothing at all, in the context of the scene as it's portrayed in the anime, to imply that he knew Taiga and Ryuuji were even there. It was a coincidence. Ami transferred there, she knew Kitamura was there, being childhood friends she looked him up, they agreed to meet somewhere. The only thing I see Kitamura taking advantage of was using the situation to let Ryuuji and Taiga see how she really was. And he did so out of concern for their well being because he knows that deception is a bad thing.

Kitamura KNOWS Ami... childhood friends, remember? He can't do anything about her personality, and he knows it. He's not going to undermine her by exposing her to the whole school because he knows that would be rude and hurtfull. Instead, out of concern for her well-being and lack of potential to move beyond her duplicitous self, he knows (because he's a smart, observant, caring guy) that the best thing for her, is to be challenged by relationships that will force her into revealing her true nature and actually come to grips with it. So he goes to the only girl he can think of, someone he feels he can trust, who already knows what she's really like, and rather humbly asks her to help his childhood friend.

I honestly don't think Kitamura is taking advantage of Taiga's blind willingness to do whatever he asks. If anything, he seems to be just as indifferent to that as he does anything else.

Granted, he may have some underlying motives that are yet to be seen, but so far, I think he's the most stable, "normal" person out of the whole bunch.

And I'm going by the anime alone. I haven't read the manga and I won't be any time soon. So, with regard to my opinions, anime discussion only, please... for anyone who cares.

Last edited by Mushi; 2008-11-13 at 01:03.
Old 2008-11-13, 00:46   Link #20
Tiran86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Granted, he may have some underlying motives that are yet to be seen, but so far, I think he's the most stable, "normal" person out of the whole bunch.
Which also makes him the most boring of the main characters. I'd like him to get a bit more characterization sometime in the near future. At this point I barely care that he's in the anime or novels.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters