AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-26, 05:55   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The Character Discussion Thread of SOS団 Member: Haruhi Suzumiya

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Haruhi Suzumiya related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suzumiya Haruhi fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:00   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Excellent thread idea, Crow Kenobi!

Let me just start off by saying that Haruhi is one of my five all-time favorite anime characters.

I think that she's a very exciting and fun character with an intriguing style and beguiling passions. Her longing for the extraordinary and the unconventional resonates with me in many ways, and her dynamic domineering nature is always enjoyable to behold.

Usually, a personality like Haruhi's is found in male antagonists, imo, so to see it in a female protagonist is quite a novel discovery, and definitely one of the chief appeals of this anime to me.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:19   Link #3
Philos
Official Siscon Member

She's the top of my favourite tsundere character, because she doesn't show her dere action directly like other tsundere character. (ex. red blush on face, diffident action)
Old 2009-08-26, 06:28   Link #4
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
She isn't really a tsundere. She's more of a Genki Girl pretending she's a tsundere.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-26, 08:37   Link #5
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
I think Haruhi is a fusion of genki and tsundere. Let's review:

- Always energentic (genki)
- Mean to Kyon (tsuntsun)
- Harbors waffy feelings for Kyon (deredere)

Therefore, a genkitsundere.
Old 2009-08-26, 09:55   Link #6
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
How much time before this tread explode in a flame war?

Anyway, I agree she is a tsundere. She is not one of this cheap tsundere you can found in many animes, where the characters is defined by being a 'tusndere'. She is much more then is, as she is much more then her relationship with Kyon.

To me, what prooves her as a tsundere is she always goes to dere dere mode when the show/book focus a little more i the romance. Like the end of Melancholy.
Old 2009-08-26, 11:49   Link #7
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

lol a genkitsundere.
Very fitting.

To be honest, she's the least of my favorite character ( surprise? I think not)
I mean, I can relate to her but her attitude just rubs me the wrong way. Yeah yeah, she changes through the novels but I've only watched the anime so I'm soley judging from there at the mean time. I adore her adventurous spirit and taking risks but sometimes I just want to smack her lol.

You can say I get annoyed as much as Kyon.
Go figure.

I always hear the same stories from potential fans but people being turned off by Haruhi herself so I can sort of sympathize with them.
Old 2009-08-26, 11:53   Link #8
Triple_R
*Author

TV Tropes has her listed under ManicPixieDreamGirl.

The description certainly seems to fit, at least as it pertains to her relationship with Kyon.

Oh, wait, they also have her listed under Strange Girl!

"Normal humans don't interest me. If anyone here is an alien, a time traveler, slider, or an esper, then come find me! That is all." - Haruhi Suzumiya

Well... that is a rather strange outlook on the world. Alien hunting is one thing, but not finding any other humans interesting at all is quite strange...

Oooo... and here's a character label that really suits Haruhi well, and, in fact, is what her critics tend to bring up most often against her:

ParkerLewisFerrisBueller!

Or, in layman's term, a high school hustler. Yeah, there's no doubt that Haruhi tends to get away with a lot. Still, perhaps Haruhi's poor behavior is just because...

She Just Wants to Be Special

Yep, there's no doubt that Haruhi would love to feel more special than she does. Her "ordinary" soliloquy certainly demonstrated that, and it continues to be the case.

And... there's loads of other labels that TV Tropes applies to Haruhi as a character (such as Defrosting Ice Queen) that I'm not listing myself, because I don't quite agree with them, really, or they've already been brought up (Genki Girl and Tsundere). However, the ones I did list for Haruhi make up a rather diverse list for Haruhi as it is.

So... here's a newsflash for TV Tropes and label-lovers everywhere: The more of these labels that you can defensibly stick to the character, the less either one of them is satisfactory in defining him or her.

With so many labels that can effectively be applied to Haruhi, the net result is an original character that doesn't deserve to be labeled. I know that it may sound paradoxical, but really think about it for a second. If six very different labels apply to a particular character, then maybe the "net character" is someone pretty unique...

And that is my argument pertaining to Haruhi and labels, Haruhiists and Kyonphiles.

P.S. No disrespect towards Philos (or towards anybody else). It's nice to have you aboard, Philos!

I will say that I do like how Haruhi displays her feelings in a less stereotypical or overt manner than tsunderes do.
Old 2009-08-26, 11:57   Link #9
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust Romance View Post
lol a genkitsundere.
Very fitting.

To be honest, she's the least of my favorite character ( surprise? I think not)
I mean, I can relate to her but her attitude just rubs me the wrong way. Yeah yeah, she changes through the novels but I've only watched the anime so I'm soley judging from there at the mean time. I adore her adventurous spirit and taking risks but sometimes I just want to smack her lol.

You can say I get annoyed as much as Kyon.
Go figure.

I always hear the same stories from potential fans but people being turned off by Haruhi herself so I can sort of sympathize with them.
She change through the anime too, actually. Live A Live is the best exemple. Day of Sagitarius too, if you read it in a certan way. And Some Day in the Rain. Even Lone Island, though it is overshoadowed by her biggest jerkas moment that happens latter.

Also, Kyon don't get annoyed that much, actually. It is hard to get but he kinda say so in Menlancholy VI. In the end he made clear he actually find fun every weird thing that had happened so far.

I can see what you mean, though. It is really not that simple lke her.

PP:
Nice post Triple. I agree with it. However, I say labels ar useful to make a sumary of a character. Explain it in few words. However, Haruhi is not flat enough to me entirely sumirized by on or two labels.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:32   Link #10
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

My favorite character of all time..... =]

Will have more comments when i'm not sleepy...
Old 2009-08-26, 15:51   Link #11
Little Buster
Punkish...Regulary

Anime Character Perfection!
Old 2009-08-26, 15:55   Link #12
haruhi.ism
haruhi and yuki <3

Send a message via AIM to haruhi.ism
Quote:
Haruhi leads Cubs to World Series!
more like the sox ^__^

haruhi is god. enough said.
Old 2009-08-26, 16:07   Link #13
Little Buster
Punkish...Regulary

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhi.ism View Post
more like the sox ^__^
you just wish. Haruhi is a Cubby!
Old 2009-08-26, 16:11   Link #14
haruhi.ism
haruhi and yuki <3

Send a message via AIM to haruhi.ism
Quote:
you just wish. Haruhi is a Cubby!
no way! haruhi is so a sox girl!
Old 2009-08-26, 17:15   Link #15
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhi.ism View Post
no way! haruhi is so a sox girl!
Oh for sure. Sox fans hold Godly faith in their team. I can see this.
Old 2009-08-26, 17:51   Link #16
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Well, for starters, I think Haruhi is the most attractive female anime character I've seen to date. The fact is that the only reason I even watched the anime in the first place was because I watched someone's "Top 10 Hottest Anime Girls" list and Haruhi was at the top. The first nine were like "Yeah, she's alright," but then I saw Haruhi and I was like "Holy $%^&! She is HOT!" This is rather rare for me to say. Very few anime girls have ever gotten a reaction like that out of me. Everything about her looks is incredibly attractive to me. Great legs, Great butt, boobs that are just the right size (not to big and not too small), beautiful shoulder-length hair (LOVE shoulder-length hair), and an amazing smile and eyes. She fit all of my preferences!

And then I watched the anime...and fell in love with her personality! Genki girl awesomeness combined with bits of tsundere here and there. I was hooked on her big time!

Granted, I will say this. I almost stopped liking her during that "scene" that's coming up in Sighs, but her later behavior helped to redeem herself.

So in conclusion, I love Haruhi and she's definitely my favorite anime character. ALL HAIL HARUHI-SAMA!!!!
Old 2009-08-26, 18:02   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Well, for starters, I think Haruhi is the most attractive female anime character I've seen to date. The fact is that the only reason I even watched the anime in the first place was because I watched someone's "Top 10 Hottest Anime Girls" list and Haruhi was at the top. The first nine were like "Yeah, she's alright," but then I saw Haruhi and I was like "Holy $%^&! She is HOT!" This is rather rare for me to say. Very few anime girls have ever gotten a reaction like that out of me. Everything about her looks is incredibly attractive to me. Great legs, Great butt, boobs that are just the right size (not to big and not too small), beautiful shoulder-length hair (LOVE shoulder-length hair), and an amazing smile and eyes. She fit all of my preferences!
Yeah, Haruhi's 2006 character design was a huge part of the appeal for this anime for me as well. She does "The Girl Next Door" look perfectly - taking it to a whole new level.

Her 2006 character design has very nice proportions, and is sweetly anatomically smooth, correct, and attractive.

Now, I have to be honest; I tend to go for "tall, voluptuous" myself, but outside of characters like that, Haruhi is definitely the most attractive I've seen.

It's nice to meet another guy that likes normal sized (maybe a bit bigger than normal, but nothing huge) breasts as well. So often on the internet, I get the impression that a lot of anime fans like breasts that, to me, look like unattractive bloated tumors.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-08-26 at 18:56.
Old 2009-08-26, 18:56   Link #18
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Oh that's it. Starting next week, the Church of Haruhiism will be advising its clergy to stop serving the special Kool Aid during the Sacrament to Our Goddess and switch to regular Kool Aid.

Why are people so enamored with Haruhi? On one hand, the show is very much The Adventures of Sociopath Sue and the Stockholm Syndrome Band featuring the adventures of a girl, the guy whose pants she wants to get into, and a fascinating assortment of people terrified/fascinated at the thought of/LOL ~nyoro at the thought that the girl may destroy the world in a fit of adolescent pique.

Is it her 'obvious' assets? As has been said, she's very well-designed. She's quite attractive in a "This is the girl-next-door you might meet in real life" sort of way. She's not at perpetual risk of capsizing, nor does she have hair that doesn't exist in nature.

Is it her her personality? She's got personality in droves. Haruhi's no useless moeblob. She gets things done, and doesn't take "no" for an answer. She's no ditz. She's smart and takes "thinking on one's feet" to a whole new level. She's no fairweather friend. If things go pear-shaped on you, you can count on her to get you out. You don't even have to be her friend. Sometimes it's enough that your story touches her in the right way. (no Rule 34 invocations, please!)

Is it her rebellious streak? She defies authority and gets away with it. Partly through good planning, partly through through luck and high charisma rolls, and mostly through sheer audacity. As in "that girl has crossed the line twice three times a whole lot of freakin' times!"

Of course she's got faults. Big glaring ones, in fact. She's impulsive. She really doesn't take "no" for an answer, even if "no" is the best answer. She's bossy and inconsiderate. Her improvisations and plans rarely take the feelings of others into account . . . especially the feelings of those required to carry them out. She sometimes has problems expressing how she feels . . . she often goes to great lengths and blows things far out of proportion to do something mundane and simple. Of course, the show might be a lot less interesting were she and Kyon not in varying degrees of denial so . . . circumspect . . . about their feelings for each other.

Could be because she's human. She's got depth. She's not defined just by her hotness, her godhood, her personality, or her flaws alone.

Now, if you will excuse me, I've got to get rid of the rest of this special Kool-Aid before next week's services.
Old 2009-08-26, 19:14   Link #19
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post

Is it her 'obvious' assets? As has been said, she's very well-designed. She's quite attractive in a "This is the girl-next-door you might meet in real life" sort of way. She's not at perpetual risk of capsizing, nor does she have hair that doesn't exist in nature.
Well stated. The fact that her character design is realistic sets Haruhi apart from a lot of other female anime characters. It probably makes it a bit easier for the fans to, er... imagine going on dates with someone like Haruhi.

Also, I've seen some really good Haruhi cosplays that are truly gorgeous. One in particular is visually stunning to me, and quite popular (most here have probably seen it).

Quote:
She's no fairweather friend. If things go pear-shaped on you, you can count on her to get you out. You don't even have to be her friend. Sometimes it's enough that your story touches her in the right way.
Very good point that slipped my mind. Haruhi is a very loyal person in a way.

Once Haruhi befriends you, there's one big pro and one big con.

The big con is that she's going to expect you to follow her around everywhere.

The big pro is that you have a friend that will be there for you through thick and thin. Haruhi strikes me as the sort of person that would have a very hard time ending a serious friendship. In fact, I wrote a cross-over fic once in which this was a key element in her reforming a teenager bent on conquering an alien world... a rather impulsive and steely willed teenager himself.

Quote:

Could be because she's human. She's got depth. She's not defined just by her hotness, her godhood, her personality, or her flaws alone.
I pretty much agree. When people get Haruhi wrong, I think, is when they focus on either one of the above while discarding the other key factors.
Old 2009-08-26, 19:40   Link #20
OkamiNoKaze

I wonder if there'll ever be the chance of a Hurrican named after her, it'd be the most fitting name for a hurrican ever.

Tags
characters