Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 20:30   Link #241
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
One small authenticity I noticed was that Clain didn't take off his shoes when he entered his house. Seems obvious enough, but most anime - even those in "foreign" settings" - slip that small yet incredibly important Japanese custom into the mix.
I missed that! Another thing proving it's Ireland is that the father reports he's living in Luimnigh, which is the (not often used) Irish name for Limerick, though I wonder why they chose to use the Irish name over the English one. Almost no one uses the Irish name. I don't know where the "Vale" the mother reports living in is however.

The only thing I've seen so far that they've gotten wrong is the arm band on the Gardai, but actually they're pretty spot on with the uniforms besides that. The fact they took the trouble to give them the right hats, uniforms, and have garda written on their car is pretty cool.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 21:20   Link #242
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Who says Phryne a priestess? Who says shes even a real girl and not some Holographic AI?

As for the artwork change, I prefer the animes hair color change, etc.
She was identified as a priestess by Clain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Oh come on. You don't know anything about her, and being a "priestess" can't really suggest any sort of predictable behavior... especially considering we have no idea what kind of priestess she might be, lol. I'm inclined to guess that a priestess in this setting is some sort of network administrator? lol. Considering the one religious act we witnessed looked to be some sort of syncing practice with whatever system facilitates those avatars.
The "religious act" was facing the direction of the church to pray which was also a syncing process. And we also know what some other priests etc of that religion look like as we were told already about the characters before the anime started.
Old 2011-01-14, 21:21   Link #243
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
She was identified as a priestess by Clain.
Did he just say that she LOOKS like a priestess, not that he was sure that she was one?

I never knew this but, Down By Sally Gardens is a very famous song/poem. Its beautiful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Vta...eature=related

See, never say anime doesn't teach you anything about the world.

Someone making this show must love Ireland.

Last edited by bigdeath; 2011-01-14 at 21:40.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 21:53   Link #244
orion

Quote:
Did he just say that she LOOKS like a priestess, not that he was sure that she was one?

I never knew this but, Down By Sally Gardens is a very famous song/poem. Its beautiful.
He identifies her outfit as that of a priestess of the temple and she didn't bother to deny it.

That poem is also quite sad.
Old 2011-01-14, 22:06   Link #245
jedinat

Quote:
The "religious act" was facing the direction of the church to pray which was also a syncing process.
Yeah... that's what I was referring to.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 22:12   Link #246
bigdeath

Quote:
He identifies her outfit as that of a priestess of the temple and she didn't bother to deny it.

That poem is also quite sad.
which begs the question of why a somber love poem was chosen for this ending? Foreshadowing for this anime?
Old 2011-01-14, 22:17   Link #247
orion

Quote:
which begs the question of why a somber love poem was chosen for this ending? Foreshadowing for this anime?
Hopefully, Clain takes good advice from a "close" female to heart.
Old 2011-01-14, 22:27   Link #248
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Am I the only one who find those doppelgangers a bit creepy? Why don't people project their true appearance instead of using these weird avatars? This is especially true for Clain's parents.
I believe this to be Azuma Hiroki's, the writer's signature mind construct. Basically, doppels are constructed with distinguishable elements because sometimes we as people categorize others as such and such. For example, if you're familiar with *booru image boards, every picture has tag information for easier searching and association. By the same principle, doppels' look is constructed based on these tags. The real question that begs to be asked is who chooses these attributes? Does the System choose them for the user, randomly or selectively? Does each user personalize his doppel or does he assign attributes individually for each person he's dealing with?

So did Clain assign these visuals to the parents himself or did they choose them for themselves? The really interesting bit will be figuring out how Clain's doppel looks.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 22:57   Link #249
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for 1:
I have to agree, as Clain to me, I kept thinking of Rio from Sora no Woto cause she's using an extremely similar voice to the one from that role so way too feminine for this role , but I agree it isn't a deal breaker, since the rest of the show was very good.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 23:26   Link #250
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The "face temple at a predetermined time of day and pray" is an obvious Islamic reference. Ohs nose!

When Boy Meets Girl.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2011-01-15 at 02:04.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 03:06   Link #251
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Oh come on. You don't know anything about her, and being a "priestess" can't really suggest any sort of predictable behavior... especially considering we have no idea what kind of priestess she might be, lol. I'm inclined to guess that a priestess in this setting is some sort of network administrator? lol. Considering the one religious act we witnessed looked to be some sort of syncing practice with whatever system facilitates those avatars.
Still, you can't deny that having her undress in front of the guy is nothing but otaku pandering. I read the director said he worked hard to make a series that could appeal to people outside the otaku demographic, but sorry, I just don't see it. For me the character interaction was straight out of a typical harem thing. I can't see how this can be popular with the regular adult audience Noitamina usually targets.

I don't know, I just hope this series doesn't mark a trend. This show doesn't do anything for me. Just my two cents.
Old 2011-01-15, 03:17   Link #252
jzmagic
flargansbog

Series definately feels like it will have a bitter-sweet sad ending Phryne's death probably.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 04:17   Link #253
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
Series definately feels like it will have a bitter-sweet sad ending Phryne's death probably.
A little too early to worry about, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Still, you can't deny that having her undress in front of the guy is nothing but otaku pandering. I read the director said he worked hard to make a series that could appeal to people outside the otaku demographic, but sorry, I just don't see it. For me the character interaction was straight out of a typical harem thing. I can't see how this can be popular with the regular adult audience Noitamina usually targets.

I don't know, I just hope this series doesn't mark a trend. This show doesn't do anything for me. Just my two cents.
Well I rather like it. I did not get the a "typical harem" feeling out of the character interaction at all. Sure undressing/nudity is a popular event in many anime (lol), but there were no nosebleeds and the way the scene played out was original enough. Anyways I (and I'm sure many non-otaku as well) don't find undressing to be inherently detrimental to the enjoyment of a story.

Labeling the episode as having "harem" elements and "otaku pandering" seems pretty extreme; you might better attribute it as being "anime-like" which I can only see as being perceived as negative if someone... well doesn't like anime. lol.
Old 2011-01-15, 04:24   Link #254
bigdeath

An anime is anime-like? SHOCKING!
Old 2011-01-15, 04:28   Link #255
jedinat

Quote:
An anime is anime-like? SHOCKING!
I wasn't going to be so sarcastic, but yeah. That's it.
Old 2011-01-15, 04:31   Link #256
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Labeling the episode as having "harem" elements and "otaku pandering" seems pretty extreme; you might better attribute it as being "anime-like" which I can only see as being perceived as negative if someone... well doesn't like anime. lol.
Well, taking into account that 90% of late-night anime targets the otaku, I suppose "anime-like" is not too far away from "otaku pandering". What I watch noitamina for is specifically to run away from generic moe characters and interactions such as what I see in this show. With this and Anohana (to a greater degree!), I don't see that much difference between noitamina anime and the other, otaku-oriented, late-night shows anymore. It may not be a problem for you (and many others) but it is for me. And from what I read in some blogs, I'm not the only one who thinks so.
Old 2011-01-15, 04:38   Link #257
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, taking into account that 90% of late-night anime targets the otaku, I suppose "anime-like" is not too far away from "otaku pandering". What I watch noitamina for is specifically to run away from generic moe characters and interactions such as what I see in this show. With this and Anohana (to a greater degree!), I don't see that much difference between noitamina anime and the other, otaku-oriented, late-night shows anymore. It may not be a problem for you (and many others) but it is for me. And for what I read in some blogs, I'm not the only one who thinks so.
I see. Well considering I hardly know what late-night anime are and which stations anything airs on such concerns are far away from me. My anime television begins and ends on TokyoT.
Old 2011-01-15, 05:10   Link #258
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

im sensing an awesome story on this show, im hook its not gonna be action oriented for what i seen so far but the sci-fi concepts like doppels or doppelgangers that in this case a projected data of the Fractal System feels like its the future of the Internet

waiting for next episode
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 05:48   Link #259
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I believe this to be Azuma Hiroki's, the writer's signature mind construct. Basically, doppels are constructed with distinguishable elements because sometimes we as people categorize others as such and such. For example, if you're familiar with *booru image boards, every picture has tag information for easier searching and association. By the same principle, doppels' look is constructed based on these tags. The real question that begs to be asked is who chooses these attributes? Does the System choose them for the user, randomly or selectively? Does each user personalize his doppel or does he assign attributes individually for each person he's dealing with?

So did Clain assign these visuals to the parents himself or did they choose them for themselves? The really interesting bit will be figuring out how Clain's doppel looks.
Interesting thoughts. I dumbly assumed people created/chose their own avatars, but it might not be the case. If Clain is the one that assigned these visuals to his parents, than that's even more disturbing

As for Clain's own doppel, I have a feeling it'll be something very plain.
Old 2011-01-15, 05:49   Link #260
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Man... we're really in tune this season
Long lost twins? The question is, which one is the evil one.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-1 pictures, noitamina, yamamoto yutaka