AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2011-05-20, 12:13   Link #121
Helius

The art style is giving me such a Gibli vibe, I can't say I'm terribly psyched about that since I'm not always a fan of Gibli's work; not to mention Bones' been a bit hit or miss lately; add to that the disappointment of them deciding to do a side story instead of continuing where the series/manga left off....so as much as I'd love this film to be good, I'd reserve my judgment for now...
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 14:18   Link #122
Vicious108

The animation looks pretty good as expected, but it also looks like the story will revolve immensely around the typical filler movie characters, who I always end up not giving two shits about. Oh well, we'll see.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 20:16   Link #123
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
The animation looks pretty good as expected, but it also looks like the story will revolve immensely around the typical filler movie characters, who I always end up not giving two shits about. Oh well, we'll see.
I just hope it doesn't suck considering BONES as a studio has been a hit or miss lately.
Paperplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 21:23   Link #124
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

And licensed! Not surprising, although I wasn't expecting it to get licensed before the movie aired.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 21:21   Link #125
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Story is a random one off adventure to do with alchemy from the 'holy land' and Julia trying to get her hands on the 'star' (cue title, lol).
I'd place this within the first 10 eps of the series if we were looking for a timeline.

The anime series completed the story, so there's nothing else to 'add' in here, it's just a bit of fun with the usual gang, which is fine for me since I can never have too much Ed in my life

Also those with a niconico account, there's a special show (I assume video), live interview, talk and movie scenes with the stars of this 'Ed, Al, Winry and Hughes' seiyuus on Sat night at 7pm (2 days time)
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv50447870

Align your clocks and tune into the fun if you can

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 11:00   Link #126
Isegrim

A rough summary of the movie. First one for the rough summary with mild spoilers. Second spoiler for the plottwists and the full monty.

Spoiler for rough summary:

Spoiler for Spoilywoily:

Not sure if the summaries are comprehensible, if you need more info just ask.
What I liked most were the views of Table City, the Canyon, the railway bridges. Although some parts were made with CG, it looks great. It's a fun movie, lots of action, but nothing outstanding. Fits the tone of the TV series, never risked too much and stayed on safe terrain.

A small pamphlet was distributed at the entrance of the cinema (character sketches etc.), containing 19 pages of manga numbered as chapter 45.5.
Old 2011-07-08, 20:53   Link #127
GyroidFanatic

Is there any major spoilers for either series? My friend hasn't seen either yet and is going to Otakon where they're US-premiering it.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 22:20   Link #128
Rawinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic View Post
Is there any major spoilers for either series? My friend hasn't seen either yet and is going to Otakon where they're US-premiering it.
Since it's a stand alone story, I don't think you would really need to know anything about either series beyond the basics.
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 02:52   Link #129
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Did anyone see this film at Otakon?
Old 2011-08-01, 08:10   Link #130
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Saw the FMA movie this morning. Always interesting to spend one's Monday morning filled with blood, death, action and alchemy, lol.
The movie wasn't too bad, the plot was actually decent, but kinda heavy on the action especially for the first 30mins or so, so the audience wasn't really knowing who was who or why peeps were fighting.
But I got to see my beloved with gorgous dual coloured golden eyes and got a special manga edition for the movie numbered #11.5
(Meaning this story took place in the normal FMA storyline during vol 11 of the book)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 11:51   Link #131
kitten320

Does anyone know when it will be out on DVD?
Old 2011-11-14, 14:39   Link #132
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Saw the film at SFFS Animation Fest yesterday - here are my thoughts.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 21:19   Link #133
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Oh my is this movie action-packed.
Old 2012-02-12, 22:44   Link #134
MasterVampire

When does this movie take place during Brotherhood?
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 22:51   Link #135
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmm, Roy Mustang is still calling Ed an idiot. While Ed and Al still are automated, other then that. It doesn't tell that much on where it takes place in Brotherhood. It's pretty stand-alone like most movies.
Old 2012-02-12, 23:31   Link #136
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
When does this movie take place during Brotherhood?
The story of the movie takes place after Ed explains (his theory) that because his soul is linked to Al's, his human body must be ok, and before they capture Gluttony by luring out Scar and the Homunculi with the help of Ling.

Arakawa made a new manga chapter that is a prologue to the movie, they released it in the "Volume 11.5" along with designs of the new characters and information about the movie.

Edit: Images added, You can see the Wolf chimera on the cover.

Last edited by Dash_Hunter; 2012-02-13 at 16:06.
Dash_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 13:30   Link #137
hoshino_crimsonwings

I quite liked the movie, fitted with the whole FMA plot and theme quite well. Julia was also very cute, always a nice thing. Much better than the typical naruto movie filler girls.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:33   Link #138
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I chose to watch this movie in two parts. I watched the first part last thursday, and today I concluded the movie as a whole.

The battle scenes were the best choreographed and impressive more than shounen standards, however, I have to digress that the animation employed not only was crappy but made injustice to those awesome battles. Because it felt that they switched to low-grade flash animation when the characters have no other choice but to duke it out.

The themes of growing-up, childhood innocence compromised by adults' responsibilities, and family bonds are remarkedly present at all times during the film's running time.

Even if this film is not canon to the manga, I can't stop to think by myself that many years after the end of the manga's story....
Spoiler:

There's a question I have in concern to both Ashley and Julia.
Spoiler:

Anyways, it was a good movie ranking little above than Conqueror of Shambala in my scale.

The other element that I liked about this film was the ending sequence featuring the train with our heroes onbord traveling back home to Central, and I love trains.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 10:29   Link #139
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I don't really like the movie...

something just feels off when those siblings swallowed philosopher and still alive...
it's just like a forced happy ending

but at least, this one is better than that Shambala movie...
I enjoy the action scenes... satisfied! (too bad Mustang didn't have anything to do)... and Winry just come out from nowhere as usual
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote