AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-08-06, 01:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 987 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Hey guys, it's that time again! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Faithful servant" (apparently, the title is a pun involving Kinemon's name in the original Japanese). Splash is a color page.

-As Kaidou is attacked, he is once again reminded of Oden. In particular, he recalls the man's words about his spirit living on, and that the Wano samurai are not to be underestimated. As he's thinking this, the Scabbards put more power into their attack, and soon manage to pierce their blades into Kaidou's flesh!!! Even the emperor himself is shocked by this, as this shows the Scabbards now possess the same level of "Ryuuou" (haki) as Oden! Speaking of, the scar left behind by the fallen daimyo begins to throb on Kaidou, causing him to howl in pain for the first time....!!!

-As Kaidou and the Scabbards fall to the ground, Linlin starts to wonder if her partner in crime has kicked the bucket. The Hundred Beast Pirates prepare to back up their master, but Hyougoro and his gang of yakuza blocks their way! Yamato also tries to get the jump on her father, but she in turn gets blocked by Ulti! Still, Kaidou's offspring nonetheless announces that she's no longer on her old man's side! In the middle of this uproar, Nami and Carrot manage to free themselves from Big Mom's grasp by shocking her yokai homies!

-Back to Kaidou, though he's wounded and bloody, his injuries are no big deal to him. He notes that the sequence of events starting from Punk Hazard to Dressrosa have all been the result of the samurai working together with the Straw-Hats. However, it's in pirates' natures to betray others, and he's confident that Luffy would abandon them, should they lose this battle. However, Kinemon argues back that Luffy is different from other pirates, believes that he'll rule the seas one day, and, even should all the samurai fall in battle, he'll still be the one who brings forth "dawn" to the land of Wano! At this point, Linlin steps up to Luffy, asking him why he's there in the first place. Is it to topple Kaidou? The rubber man answers.... no. It's to take down ALL of them. Kaidou, Orochi, AND Big Mom. This is a FULL. SCALE. WAR.

-As Luffy finishes his sentence, the rebel samurai begin their attack! We also see Law join Zoro and Kid as they take on Kaidou's forces. Meanwhile, a couple of surprise visitors make it to the castle: Marco and Perospero! Curiously, it seems the two of them have called a truce, and will join forces (most likely with Luffy) for the time being. Back to Kaidou, he accepts the Scabbards' challenge, saying he'll show them the true might of the World's Strongest Creature.... and proceeds to change into dragon form! He then flies towards the roof, the samurai following closely behind. Luffy says he'll join them up there, shortly....

-On the roof, Kaidou tells the Scabbards he's reminded of his battle with Oden from 20 years ago.... but their master is not there to fight alongside them now. However, awaiting the emperor are all the mink warriors! And what's more, there's a clear night sky! Nekomamushi then informs Kaidou of something else that's different from 20 years ago: Tonight, there's a FULL MOON....!!!!!

-Just a quick reminder that it's the magazine that's on break next week, guys! So not just OP, but all Jump manga will be on a holiday break! So stay tuned for the next chapter thread in about two weeks' time!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-06, 05:33   Link #2
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Ah yes, I keep forgetting: Oda, master of cliffhangers just as either he or the magazine goes on break. The story is finally taking off.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-06, 06:51   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I know Perospero is against the alliance, but it's still surprising he allied himself with Marco. Thing is, Carrot is there and I'm sure she hasn't forgotten whose fault it was Pedro died. I can't see her just turning a blind eye to that. It's a full moon too, so she might be powerful enough to take him on. That's assuming Carrot will actually have any relevance in this arc, so far she's just been there.

The chapter sounds really great, but it was really overhyped. Saying to avoid spoilers at any cost, that the editor cried reading it, etc...
Old 2020-08-06, 10:29   Link #4
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
... and I'm sure she hasn't forgotten whose fault it was Pedro died.
My opinion: It was Pedro's fault. Only his.
I refuse to give Carrot any moral high ground here in a possible encounter.

Perospero was just a victim in a suicidal terror attack and lost an arm while he defended his home from outside attackers.
Old 2020-08-06, 15:29   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

why is Perospero joining Luffy and helping Marco? I thought he would hate the SH after WCI.
He will see that Big Mom is fighting Luffy and will go assist her right?

I expect Kaidou will defeat the Scabbards and the Minks in 1-2 chapters, to truly show how powerful he is
Old 2020-08-06, 16:27   Link #6
Rainbowman

This full scale war is bound to double or even triple bounties when itís over.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-07, 07:15   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Queen really has the best reactions.
Old 2020-08-07, 09:39   Link #8
itachi-san314

As awesome as the minks will be, Kaidou is going to wreck them
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-07, 10:54   Link #9
marvelB

Huh, from the translation I read, I notice it doesn't actually say that Marco and Perospero formed an alliance.... well, the official TL will surely clear things up further.

Quote:
I know Perospero is against the alliance, but it's still surprising he allied himself with Marco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
why is Perospero joining Luffy and helping Marco? I thought he would hate the SH after WCI.
He will see that Big Mom is fighting Luffy and will go assist her right?
Actually, I don't find the idea of Peros joining forces with Luffy to be so far-fetched. Let's not forget that this was the guy who, shortly after his mama got swept out at sea, was more than eager to replace her as captain (even going as far as wanting to rename the crew after himself). And taking into account that Linlin hasn't shown herself to be mother of the year towards her kids (she even readily stole the souls of some of them), is it really so surprising she would have pups who'd bite the hand that fed them if the opportunity presented itself? Hell, we already know of some who turned against her (Pudding, Praline, Chiffon, arguably Lola). Yeah, it's not hard to see Peros teaming up with enemies just to spite her in that case. Besides, he could easily turn on Luffy after Linlin gets toppled, so it's practically win-win (until Luffy beats his ass, that is)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
My opinion: It was Pedro's fault. Only his.
I refuse to give Carrot any moral high ground here in a possible encounter.

Perospero was just a victim in a suicidal terror attack and lost an arm while he defended his home from outside attackers.
I wouldn't exactly say Peros was such an innocent party when Pedro kamikaze'd him.... let's not forget that he was plenty complicit in Linlin's whole Red Wedding plot toward Sanji. Yes, Pedro knew full well the risks that would be involved in such an operation, but remember he was also risking his life to save a friend. Taking that into consideration, I can't say Carrot would be totally unjustified in wanting revenge on Peros....

....at least, until it's revealed Pedro pulled a Pell on us, heh.
Old 2020-08-07, 10:56   Link #10
Jmariofan7

Quote:
The chapter sounds really great, but it was really overhyped. Saying to avoid spoilers at any cost, that the editor cried reading it, etc...
Is it really this chapter that he cried at though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
The funny thing is the only reason Pell didn’t die was because of the editors, NOT Oda.

Last edited by Jmariofan7; 2020-08-07 at 11:19.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-07, 18:53   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
Is it really this chapter that he cried at though?
That's what people thought but it was apparently 986. Still no clue what made him cry regardless.
Old 2020-08-08, 05:57   Link #12
Zolton

Slightly off-topic, but how in the world do people who follow One Piece news hear about the editor crying, then about the wrongly corrected number of the chapter that made him cry, and then miss the final correction? It's just so baffling to see so many people ask "So what made the dude cry in this chapter?" Like, do they just pay attention selectively?
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-08, 09:48   Link #13
Hoodspirit

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly say Peros was such an innocent party when Pedro kamikaze'd him.... let's not forget that he was plenty complicit in Linlin's whole Red Wedding plot toward Sanji. Yes, Pedro knew full well the risks that would be involved in such an operation, but remember he was also risking his life to save a friend. Taking that into consideration, I can't say Carrot would be totally unjustified in wanting revenge on Peros....

But we should consider this: the Straw Hats and the Minks decided to attack the wedding simply because of Sanji's request, not out of a necessity forced upon them by the Big Mom Pirates.
His request was to save his family, which got themselves into the trouble.
He himself was already freed the night before.
This voids in my opinion any moral justification for Carrot getting a revenge.

[EDIT:]
With this chapter, the feats of the Scabbards and Kaido's thoughts prove that Enma (and the Ame no Habakiri) are not the reason why Kaido had been cut by it.
Its main trait is to draw more Haki from the wielder than it is good for him. As long as the user is strong enough he can prevent it.
This creates an unnecessary burden on the swordsman.
But is there a worthwhile trade-off for it? It doesn't seem like it. Someone well-trained in Haki should be able to produce the same effect of overusing Haki.
This appears to makes Enma a good sword for training the usage of Haki, but a bad sword to actually use in battle.
Your thoughts? how good do you think Enma actually is?

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2020-08-09 at 03:23.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 13:22   Link #14
Galaxian

I loved that last page. The Scabbards standing against dragon Kaido, the zoom out to the Mink warriors, and then the darkened close up to Nekomamushi.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 16:26   Link #15
necrolyte

^And Kaido will probably defeat them without taking any real damage after at first Oda make it seem like they have defeated him.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 12:05   Link #16
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

whoa.. are we getting zulong fest in next chapter? that is hype

didn't expect Marco and Perospero though.. I thought they are just stalling in the waterfall

That epic showdown between samurai and dragon looks awesome although it is clear that they don't stand a chance
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 16:29   Link #17
Theia_Loki

In the panel that has Law, there's someone who looks suspiciously like Hawkins right there with him. Am I seeing things here, or does this mean that Hawkins joined up with the rebellion?
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 11:22   Link #18
marvelB

^I wouldn't be surprised if that were indeed Hawkins with Law. He already got beaten by the former warlord earlier, and since then probably foresaw through his tarot reading that Luffy's side will emerge victorious in this war. We already kinda have an idea that he's the type to align himself with the winning side, so I can very much see him backstabbing Kaidou at the right opportunity. Plus, if we add in the possibility that Drake was the one who freed Law from prison earlier, then we pretty much have a little North Blue supernova alliance on our hands, don't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
But we should consider this: the Straw Hats and the Minks decided to attack the wedding simply because of Sanji's request, not out of a necessity forced upon them by the Big Mom Pirates.
His request was to save his family, which got themselves into the trouble.
He himself was already freed the night before.
This voids in my opinion any moral justification for Carrot getting a revenge.
Ah, but as you yourself already alluded to, Sanji (the rescued in question) willingly chose to march right back into the den of snakes for the sake of saving his family.... most of whom he outright despises. That right there put him straight back at risk of getting executed by the Charlotte clan, despite the careful planning Capone made the night before the wedding. And in great danger he indeed was... let's not forget that it was, ironically enough, the very family he hated who ended up helping him escape Totland by the skin of his teeth. Taking that into consideration, I stand by what I said before about Pedro's sacrifice being a meaningful one, and that Carrot's potential desire for revenge wouldn't be entirely unfounded.....

Anyway, going back to the current situation, I of course agree that Kaidou will eventually wipe the floor with the were-minks+Scabbards (notice we still haven't seen him in his beastman form yet). Still, I think it would be pretty awesome if Kinemon and co. manage to further wound the emperor (perhaps even giving him another scar) before their inevitable downfall....
Old 2020-08-18, 09:09   Link #19
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Ah, but as you yourself already alluded to, Sanji (the rescued in question) willingly chose to march right back into the den of snakes for the sake of saving his family.... most of whom he outright despises. That right there put him straight back at risk of getting executed by the Charlotte clan, despite the careful planning Capone made the night before the wedding. And in great danger he indeed was... let's not forget that it was, ironically enough, the very family he hated who ended up helping him escape Totland by the skin of his teeth. Taking that into consideration, I stand by what I said before about Pedro's sacrifice being a meaningful one, and that Carrot's potential desire for revenge wouldn't be entirely unfounded.....
Exectly, he chose to go back and fight the BMPs. This makes it clearly an offensive move, thus the revenge for Pedro is unjustified as the SHPs+Minks were the attackers.
The SHPs and BMPs had settled their issues at Fishmen Island by paying with the Treausure. The Tea Party was soly about BMPs v Germa.
If he had chosen not to go back and instead flee with his crew, they'd had a headstart of half a day and still had the assistance of the Sun Pirates and a real chance of escape.
BMPs would have been busy fighitng the Germa too, just like the real timeline.
Big Mom even would have had her cake right away and the Germa Tech on top.
She'd be happyand probably had low motivation to chase the SHPs. She didn't chase after the other Supernovas when those invaded her territory too.
Anyway, SHPs were on the offense, thus Carrot's reveng is unjustified. Pedro's sacrifice was still meaningful regardless.