AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-02-13, 09:42   Link #121
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I disagree. Her appearance counts. Clothes aside, the way she speaks and carries herself (and when she wears her combat jumpsuit) show her to be a dominant woman, in my opinion. Her actions obviously show that, but I do think her appearance plays in.
I still think the film version influenced people too much. Motoko was never meant to be a serious woman all the time. The film just didn't have the time to make her playful.

And from existing footage from Arise, I don't see Motoko being portrayed as being any weaker than any of her past incarnations.
Old 2013-02-13, 12:41   Link #122
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I just wish Shirow is still sane... I want him to get more involved, but the fact is the author who created GitS is a shadow of his former self. It's so sad to think there wouldn't be more GitS manga by Shirow. Even Shirow admits that it is just too hard for him.
Well we need to live with it.

More info. Artist is Takumi Oyama and it makes its debut in the April Monthly Young Magazine. Title is GITS Arise: Sleepless Man or Nemurenai no Otoko.

OVA's first title is Border 1: Ghost Pain.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2013-02-13 at 13:59.
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 21:02   Link #123
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
I still think the film version influenced people too much. Motoko was never meant to be a serious woman all the time. The film just didn't have the time to make her playful.

And from existing footage from Arise, I don't see Motoko being portrayed as being any weaker than any of her past incarnations.
I'm sure she will be a badass in terms of actions, but I just am not liking the teenage girl look here...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 22:28   Link #124
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
I'm sure she will be a badass in terms of actions, but I just am not liking the teenage girl look here...
I agree. They should've kept her SAC design. The fact that the Major was always slightly masculine in terms of action and appearance made her stand out. Now she's (at least in terms of build) no different from other female leads.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 01:01   Link #125
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I don't mind Major being younger. I think the first movie look for Major was the best. This looks closer to that than SAC so I'm all good. Trailer was badass and with this platform this can really shine.

Last edited by Haohmaru; 2013-02-14 at 22:50.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 02:48   Link #126
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I agree. They should've kept her SAC design. The fact that the Major was always slightly masculine in terms of action and appearance made her stand out. Now she's (at least in terms of build) no different from other female leads.
That's not how the Major ever was. If she wants to have a man's body she could have gotten one. Motoko is a woman, and she insists on keeping that part of her identity. Only in the film was she androgynous because the director didn't want to focus on her real personality.
Old 2013-02-14, 02:56   Link #127
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Will wait to see the 1st OVA to see if Orange (CGI) and Bamboo (Art) will do well.

Also, Taiwan-based persons can legally obtain Arise since Top-Insight has the license for it. Since the two countries are geographically close, I think it may have some role.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 03:11   Link #128
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
That's not how the Major ever was. If she wants to have a man's body she could have gotten one. Motoko is a woman, and she insists on keeping that part of her identity. Only in the film was she androgynous because the director didn't want to focus on her real personality.
Where did I say she was not a woman? I said that she was "slightly masculine". Furthermore, I was talking in this instance about SAC, not the films, in which she wasn't androgynous either, just even less typically female. (Also, not sure how the Oshii-bashing is relevant)
Old 2013-02-14, 07:21   Link #129
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
It'll draw in more male viewers.
Old 2013-02-14, 17:04   Link #130
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It'll draw in more lolicons.
Fixed that for you.
Old 2013-02-14, 21:04   Link #131
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Fixed that for you.
Well played.

Old 2013-02-14, 22:54   Link #132
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
She looks like an adolescent. Not the one who's in her early years, but around 18 years old. I really don't see what people are complaining about. She definitely doesn't look like a teenage girl.

@Orion, I don't think Production I.G. and the staff that's working on this are people that would put that kinda fanservice in their anime. That's kinda farfetched.
Old 2013-02-14, 23:18   Link #133
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

I really hope the don't downplay the story. The depth and philosophy of GITS world is what really highlighted SAC for me.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:29   Link #134
AmericanFairy

Quote:
I think what LeoXiao meant was not that the Major wasn't feminine, but that she did not have a dainty build. True, she was a very curvy and attractive woman. But she was also tall, broad shouldered, and had muscled enough to handle large weapons and do hand-to-hand combat with men twice her size. This new version of the Major doesn't look like she can handle all that.

Also, I don't like the grey eyes. Something about them always struck me as... I don't know. Maybe empty is the word I'm looking for. Anyways, maybe she gets an upgrade between this prequel and SAC to become the Major that most of us know and love.
AmericanFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 04:29   Link #135
gopackgo

looks closer to the original films. I wonder if any of the anime adaptions will ever show her crazy lesbian parties that she was famous for in the manga lol
gopackgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 04:38   Link #136
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
I think what LeoXiao meant was not that the Major wasn't feminine, but that she did not have a dainty build. True, she was a very curvy and attractive woman. But she was also tall, broad shouldered, and had muscled enough to handle large weapons and do hand-to-hand combat with men twice her size. This new version of the Major doesn't look like she can handle all that.
I never thought she was particularly tall or broad-shouldered? She was never dainty and delicate but she wasn't particularly masculine either. Actually, doesn't she have a pretty common body type (augmented to hell and back) so she could pass for a regular person?

Also, just so we don't forget, she's a full-body cyborg, she doesn't have real muscles and wouldn't need them anyway. Just like how Batou doesn't really need all that training he does, and only has that burly body because that's what he feels comfortable in.

That said, I'm not excited about the character designs either. They look too close to the movies' designs (I'm lazy to check - are they done by the same person?), and while I didn't mind them, I'd rather Arise not have the same Dark and Serious tone, but more like something closer to SAC or the manga. (I did like the first movie, mind you, I thought it was great.) And the Major looks just wrong, her hair is like a wig and the shade of color is just... wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackgo View Post
looks closer to the original films. I wonder if any of the anime adaptions will ever show her crazy lesbian parties that she was famous for in the manga lol
SAC did some hinting at it... (but she wasn't really "famous" for them in the manga)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 10:22   Link #137
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
She looks like an adolescent. Not the one who's in her early years, but around 18 years old. I really don't see what people are complaining about. She definitely doesn't look like a teenage girl.
Does not follow.

Old 2013-02-15, 12:25   Link #138
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackgo View Post
SAC hinted at it. But at least I want her two friends to show up in Arise. Those two lesbians are the closest thing to normal friends that Motoko had. It keeps her grounded in being a person rather than some superhero.
Old 2013-02-15, 15:04   Link #139
Helius

Quote:
Does not follow.
Lol Well Mokoto should've been in her late 20s in Arise since she was already 30-31 in SAC.

So yeah she looks way more youthful than she really is. Then again with a cyborg body you can look whatever you like, really.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 16:14   Link #140
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Does not follow.
You know what I mean. With 18 I mean she looks like a grown up.

Tags
re-imagining, science fiction