AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

View Poll Results: Aldnoah.Zero - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 8 10.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 36.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 28.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 21.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-07-27, 05:12   Link #141
renuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
Good. At least she knows that its her own people that tried to kill her & not the people of Earth. That's a step forward. Also, she's naive for thinking that the war will be stopped with just the confirmation that she's alive. Its clear that the Knights have no intention of stopping this war until they conquer Earth. Even Cruhteo, the Knight most loyal to her, is exploiting her "death".
I wonder how she knows this though. Nothing in her story indicates that she was given any reason to suspect the Martian knights over the people from Earth, yet she and her maid are absolutely certain that they're the ones behind the assassination attempt. Is it just a logical deduction (the knights were clearly prepared for this war) or were the Orbital knights so distrusted by Vers to the point that their plotting to kill the Crown Princess comes as no surprise?

This was a enjoyable episode. Seeing Inaho fending off Martian Knight #2 was predictably a bit hard to swallow, but I like that his plan this time was clearly less polished and that luck played a much larger part in its success. Had that ship not arrived just then, Inaho and co would have been in trouble; it's plot armour, but at least it's plot armour that gives other people a role to play. I also like that the adults were behaving sensibly in making escaping with the refugees their main priority, in spite of Darzana's disapproval of running away.

Yuki is adorable.

Regarding Rayet, I find her attitude entirely understandable. She has just seen her father get killed by those he served, her personnal world has come crashing down, and she knows that she and her family were used to start a war that has also destroyed the lives of everyone around her. Whether it was guilt or fear that flitted across her face when Inaho talked about the ones behind the assassination being the guikty ones, she definitely understands the gravity of what she did, or of what her father did. Isolating herself and distancing herself from the Martians is probably her best way of staying alive, but it's probably also her best way of staying sane right now. It doesn't excuse her actions and she is no innocent victim, but it is a believable piece of characterisation.
Old 2014-07-27, 05:39   Link #142
Traece
:cool:

Holy crap. I didn't think this show could get worse after the supposed "three episodes of Urobutcher" but here it is. It's like for episode 4 they decided to throw every trope and cliche the book had at this show.

All the same, I didn't think MC could be more of a robot either, and yet this show never ceases to amaze me. He actually goes from mostly-emotionless human to literal robot in this episode. Hell, they don't even bother to make him move like a human being anymore. He just robot walks everywhere.

I'm not even going to touch the combat scene. That was so full of AZ's now typical nonsense that it's pointless. All I care to say right now is that the Terran grunts are actually more competent than these Martian pilots by leagues. That's something that I can't say easily when you consider I'm comparing people whose roles are dying to people whose roles are being slightly noteworthy before their deaths.

Oh, kudos to them for re-using the same music from episode 2 and 3 as well. A nice touch there. At least we have that great ending to look forward to.
Old 2014-07-27, 05:39   Link #143
Turambar
Procrastination Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Here's a question. What happened to Nilokeras? Slaine didn't carry it out on his sky carrier, and the UFE don't have it. Did it get blown up, or is it still at the bottom of the lake? Did Slaine hide it somewhere?

And is that it at the end of the ED? I thought so at first, but then looking closer I saw the lights don't match. So, maybe that's Slaine's plane? I'm not sure.
Presumably got reduced to a pile of scrap or less in the meteor bombardment along with his corpse, really a perfect cover story for slaine to explain his death
Old 2014-07-27, 08:04   Link #144
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Holy crap. I didn't think this show could get worse after the supposed "three episodes of Urobutcher" but here it is. It's like for episode 4 they decided to throw every trope and cliche the book had at this show.
The show is very conventional mecha, but with one big twist (maybe two depending on how Asseylum turns out).

The one big twist is that in this show its the antagonists that have the supermechs and the protagonists have to get by on pilot/tactical skill while using generic mechs.

Mecha anime male leads usually have a big fancy flashy mech, if not the big fancy flashy mech. They also often have a rival that has a less impressive mech, but equivalent or slightly better piloting/tactical skills.

This show is clearly very different here, if not a complete role reversal.
Old 2014-07-27, 08:58   Link #145
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Mecha anime male leads usually have a big fancy flashy mech, if not the big fancy flashy mech. They also often have a rival that has a less impressive mech, but equivalent or slightly better piloting/tactical skills.
I recommend you this jewel: Gundam 0080: war in the pocket.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-07-27, 09:06   Link #146
Torayan

Good episode, though not as enjoyable as the first 3.

Every meaningful characters is keeping secrets that should drive the plot from here onward. I'm particulary interested in Rayet; although we viewers do know what she's hiding, there are more than one way to read her current behavior. Does she feel apologetic for Seylum's assassination? Where does she stand right now? Isn't she just following the flow and trying to survive? She is a bit of a joker. Wild guess on, maybe she'll eventually join Slaine to pursue the conspirators.

And then there is Inaho. Rather than complaining about the regular soldier incompetence (wich is somewhat justifiable and not uncommon as a trope anyway), I wonder how Inaho can keep is calm and shoot the martian when anyone else is legitimatly scared out of their wits. A mystery again, hopefully it will be adressed.

The fight against Trillarm was cool, this last one on the other hand felt rushed

On the ost department, Sawano went overboard this time, with no less than 3 different version of the same "I say fry" song... within 4 episodes. He always has that tendency to abuse his insert songs, but here it's too much. Though the new ending was cool.

I don't believe Seyllum is actually Asseylum double. If anything, she still wear the Moon&Earth necklace that was shown belonging to the emperor in promotional material
Old 2014-07-27, 09:17   Link #147
Thess

So I'm slow, but Slaine picked his words carefully when he requested permission to act. He never mentioned against who he's fighting against, only he wants to avenge Asseylum and needs his permission to take off.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-07-27, 09:21   Link #148
Cabaen

I'm starting to think Inaho is a robot from Isaac Asimov books, this could be really interesting as future revelation.
Old 2014-07-27, 09:25   Link #149
Triple_R
*Author

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I like how there's good X factors on both sides, with Rayet and Asseylum now with the terrans, and Slaine with the martians.

Lots of potential here for sudden double-crosses, and it could easily happen to either side, so that makes it a bit more suspenseful for the viewers.
Old 2014-07-27, 09:58   Link #150
Marina2

Wait, Urobutcher only in charge for the first 3 eps.???
Old 2014-07-27, 10:20   Link #151
Tranhieu

I seriously want to ship Inaho already. Might turn out even more interesting to watch than the ongoing war.
Old 2014-07-27, 10:26   Link #152
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Wait, Urobutcher only in charge for the first 3 eps.???

Yes, so far. He's around creating the original concept but it's up to the rest to change his scenes and rewrite.

Old 2014-07-27, 11:09   Link #153
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by renuac View Post
I wonder how she knows this though. Nothing in her story indicates that she was given any reason to suspect the Martian knights over the people from Earth, yet she and her maid are absolutely certain that they're the ones behind the assassination attempt. Is it just a logical deduction (the knights were clearly prepared for this war) or were the Orbital knights so distrusted by Vers to the point that their plotting to kill the Crown Princess comes as no surprise?

This was a enjoyable episode. Seeing Inaho fending off Martian Knight #2 was predictably a bit hard to swallow, but I like that his plan this time was clearly less polished and that luck played a much larger part in its success. Had that ship not arrived just then, Inaho and co would have been in trouble; it's plot armour, but at least it's plot armour that gives other people a role to play. I also like that the adults were behaving sensibly in making escaping with the refugees their main priority, in spite of Darzana's disapproval of running away.

Yuki is adorable.

Regarding Rayet, I find her attitude entirely understandable. She has just seen her father get killed by those he served, her personnal world has come crashing down, and she knows that she and her family were used to start a war that has also destroyed the lives of everyone around her. Whether it was guilt or fear that flitted across her face when Inaho talked about the ones behind the assassination being the guikty ones, she definitely understands the gravity of what she did, or of what her father did. Isolating herself and distancing herself from the Martians is probably her best way of staying alive, but it's probably also her best way of staying sane right now. It doesn't excuse her actions and she is no innocent victim, but it is a believable piece of characterisation.
There's always the possibility of her revealing past attempts at her life. There's also the possibility that she recognizes the missiles used to attack her parade as not from Earth. Considering that she wasn't present in the parade, she had an observer's PoV for the event. (I know there are smart missiles, but don't you think those missiles were a little too smart? lol [Hint: I'm trying to say that there's the chance that they could be Martian tech.])

His luck is what kills the expectations for the fights tbh. When he sortied, I immediately knew he'd come out unscathed. The only thing that was unpredictable is what he'd do against the Knight to buy time.

Rayet's guilt towards Asseylum & her now fermenting hatred towards the Martians would be interesting to see. Her character is now a ticking time-bomb waiting to explode. She's easily a wild card considering the infromation she possesses. However, he doesn't exactly trust our protag yet, so that info will be withheld for quite some time. The irony of it all is that the person she'll most likely come to trust most/consider her best friend may be Asseylum herself.

@Triple_R; Totally agree with you on the role reversal thing. Yup, that's one way to beat the cliche. The X factor thing is pretty cliched in itself though, so there's no defending that one. Still, it all depends on how its handled, so that's where everything will really matter regarding the betrayals on either side.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-07-27, 12:38   Link #154
tsunade666

Is that sempai with glasses trying to become black heart glasses shiroe with all the pushing of glasses. everytime i saw that guy in screen, he did that move.

for now i like inko more than aselym. inko is a good friend that support and help inaho and calm.
Old 2014-07-27, 12:56   Link #155
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Hmm, this might have been answered already but..

1. There were many people in the vicinity during that fight with the pillbug, how come only 3 people saw the princess?

2. What's the purpose of slaughtering a single boat resupplying at an abandoned port? Why bother fighting all the other terran robots who are obviously just patrolling the area and are not at all a threat to a martian mecha with a plasma sword?

3. "Oh hey, this Scandinavian chick and the loli maid she had with her that we just saved turns out to be the martian princess, is it possible that this other girl with a weird name, who also saw the princess, might turn out to be a martian and try to assassinate the princess? shouldn't I lock her up or something?"

4. Does the princess have a kind of personal shield or something? how come she isn't more afraid or at least worried about the people around her? and right after hearing one of them swearing to wipe out all the martians?

5. why is the MC so confident about not panicking? he even tells that other martian girl that humans are not known for being rational during extreme circumstances, as if he's not a human like everyone else, is he secretly a robot just like what everyone else is saying?
Old 2014-07-27, 14:22   Link #156
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Inaho might be a Martian sleeper agent. Which would be a hell of a twist.
Old 2014-07-27, 14:26   Link #157
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
Hmm, this might have been answered already but..

1. There were many people in the vicinity during that fight with the pillbug, how come only 3 people saw the princess?
I agree, especially when she did it right in the middle of battle where everyone in the area is paying all their attention to. And video aside, doesn't the guy in the pillbug have audio connection to the mothership and hear him going on about the princess being alive.
Old 2014-07-27, 14:59   Link #158
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeEntity View Post
Inaho might be a Martian sleeper agent. Which would be a hell of a twist.
Or he's a robot. That's the Asimov reference.

Old 2014-07-27, 16:21   Link #159
Triple_R
*Author

@frodonk

You raise some good questions, but I think that at least some of them can be adequately answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post

2. What's the purpose of slaughtering a single boat resupplying at an abandoned port? Why bother fighting all the other terran robots who are obviously just patrolling the area and are not at all a threat to a martian mecha with a plasma sword?
Because the Martian Knights are evil, and want to kill loads and loads of terrans. No, seriously, at this juncture I don't see how this isn't at least part of the answer to your question here.

The Martian Knights might not want to commit total genocide on "old humanity", but they certainly do want to get some sadistic shits and giggles in by killing off as many terrans as they can, at least until the terran military is no more.

Quote:
3. "Oh hey, this Scandinavian chick and the loli maid she had with her that we just saved turns out to be the martian princess, is it possible that this other girl with a weird name, who also saw the princess, might turn out to be a martian and try to assassinate the princess? shouldn't I lock her up or something?"
That's not really Inaho's call to make, is it? And he can't make an argument like this to a commanding officer unless he reveals that "this Scandinavian chick" is, in fact, Princess Asseylum. And he doesn't want to reveal that, so...

He may or may not find Rayet suspicious, but either way, he'd rather have her "on the loose" and be one of only a handful of people to know who "Scandinavian chick" really is, than have more people know who S. chick is and have Rayet locked up since she's suspicious.

Quote:
4. Does the princess have a kind of personal shield or something? how come she isn't more afraid or at least worried about the people around her? and right after hearing one of them swearing to wipe out all the martians?
She's a major VIP, and she knows it. People like that often tend to have a subtle (and at times not-so-subtle) sense of invulnerability, as if their VIP status alone means that bad things can't happen to them.

This may well apply to how Asseylum thinks about herself (even if not at a fully self-aware level), given how her favored solution to menacing Martian Knights has thus far been "Reveal to them who I really am, and order them to stop!"

Quote:
5. why is the MC so confident about not panicking? he even tells that other martian girl that humans are not known for being rational during extreme circumstances, as if he's not a human like everyone else, is he secretly a robot just like what everyone else is saying?
I take his comment on humans as generalizing. You can make a generalized comment about humans, but personally hold that you are one human for which this does not apply. This may be arrogant, of course, but it's not necessarily inaccurate either.

I mean, as an obvious example, LeBron James could say "Most people can't play basketball as well as I can".
Old 2014-07-27, 16:49   Link #160
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I recommend you this jewel: Gundam 0080: war in the pocket.
Or even better, Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team. Where you get to see how it feels to face prototype mecha with elite pilots as a grunt.

So while this isn't a new idea, its still fun to see compared to the typical invulnerable Protagonist mecha rampage.
Closed Thread