Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-28, 07:32   Link #1541
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
What matter is not reaching the "good stuffs" or not, but "enjoyable level" of the series. By cramming 5 volumes in 13 episodes, they could only creating "rushing developments" and "facepalming plots". Adapting only 2-3 early volumes was no matter at all, as long as the viewers enjoy it and not keep complaining just like most comments in this thread. Later volumes can be adapted later in second season if the DVD sales were good enough, just like how DxD worked.

Just to clear one thing first- it sounds like your impression of the reception of this series is limited only to this thread and possibly some other English forums only, have you done any checking on what the reception is for the Japanese fans?

(That said, I do agree that 5 volumes is too much- usually 3 is the standard number.)

Your view about not needing to reach the 'good parts' as long as it's a good adaptation is very much the standard mindset of most fans, and while there isn't anything inherently wrong with it... Have you considered this? What if there is never a sequel? If you think having a good solid sale is a guarantee of a follow-up season then let me point you to Exhibition A - Durarara sold an average of 18K+ BD/DVD over 8 volumes, yet three years later there is still no word of a sequel or really any other material save for the original source in the pipeline.

(At the same time, having a good adaptation doesn't necessarily equals good sales... Ikoku Meiro no Croisée anyone?)

Then I ask you, if you're okay with only 2 volumes being animated at a time, how long do you think, if ever, does it take to complete the series? Are you truly willing to wait that long with the possibility that it's all for nothing and you'll never see your favorite scenes animated?

Are you able to tough it out like the FMP and Haruhi fans ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 08:06   Link #1542
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Just to clear one thing first- it sounds like your impression of the reception of this series is limited only to this thread and possibly some other English forums only, have you done any checking on what the reception is for the Japanese fans?
Of course not. My English is still broken. I can read some kana and hira, but reading kanji feels like looking at splatter of ink on a piece of paper.

Quote:
(That said, I do agree that 5 volumes is too much- usually 3 is the standard number.)
Yes, that's it! Most LN adapted into anime nowadays using such formula.

Quote:
Your view about not needing to reach the 'good parts' as long as it's a good adaptation is very much the standard mindset of most fans, and while there isn't anything inherently wrong with it... Have you considered this? What if there is never a sequel? If you think having a good solid sale is a guarantee of a follow-up season then let me point you to Exhibition A - Durarara sold an average of 18K+ BD/DVD over 8 volumes, yet three years later there is still no word of a sequel or really any other material save for the original source in the pipeline.
Then blame the studio for not making the sequels, even though the sales are very good and fans are dying to wait it (including me)

Quote:
Then I ask you, if you're okay with only 2 volumes being animated at a time, how long do you think, if ever, does it take to complete the series? Are you truly willing to wait that long with the possibility that it's all for nothing and you'll never see your favorite scenes animated?
Umm, then let me ask you in return. Do we need to animate all the source materials until nothing left? It's not Shakugan no Shana that got animated until its premise were exhausted. It's about quality of anime adaptation. Adapting only 2-3 early volumes with better quality than 5 volumes? What's wrong with that? No need to adapt the rest of volumes if it's just making the stories duller and more boring.

P.S. While we're at it, i recommend people to not read the original source if the anime feels satisfying enough, because you'll feel disappointed with the anime if you were to do so.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 08:25   Link #1543
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Then blame the studio for not making the sequels, even though the sales are very good and fans are dying to wait it (including me)
Do you really think the Studio is the one calling the shots? If the Sponsors aren't willing to pay for the show then it's not going to happen.

Quote:
Umm, then let me ask you in return. Do we need to animate all the source materials until nothing left? It's not Shakugan no Shana that got animated until its premise were exhausted. It's about quality of anime adaptation. Adapting only 2-3 early volumes with better quality than 5 volumes? What's wrong with that? No need to adapt the rest of volumes if it's just making the stories duller and more boring.
I can assure you I've seen many people with that initial mindset- Waiting three years for the third Index season had already caused many people to grind their balls, waiting six years for a new FMP Anime has cause them to shrivel up like prunes.

You might not feel this way immediately, but more often than not people would eventually come to the realization that any adaptation is better than none

Funny you should bring up Shana, it's because of Shana Final that I realized that all will be forgiven if an Anime actually comes to a proper conclusion... So yes, I do believe that people should finish what they started.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 08:40   Link #1544
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Funny you should bring up Shana, it's because of Shana Final that I realized that all will be forgiven if an Anime actually comes to a proper conclusion... So yes, I do believe that people should finish what they started.
I agree with you on that one. Waiting is a pain, and well......some series just got animated just once and then disappear without sound, which is very disappointing for the fans.

OK, let's get back to topic (Actually i'm afraid that RelentlessFlame-san still lurking around here and he sees our debates). Campione crammed to many source material, but in the last episode they instead settle it with anime original ending, which rather a shame. I mean, if they had time to air anime original scene, perhaps they should spend it to make the plots or developments on previous episodes more better.
Old 2012-09-28, 10:55   Link #1545
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Do you know how draggy that sounds? I don't know what the LN for DxD is like but 6 episodes per volume for Campione is ridiculously drawn out.

It might sound like a cool idea at first, but are you willing to wait possibly 2-4 years for the next 2 volume's adaptation? How long do you think it would take to reach the 'good' stuff found in the later volumes?
Actually its 3 volumes Vol.1, Vol.2 and Vol.8 except for 2 chapters.

New episode is out already.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 11:07   Link #1546
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 13 (End) + Review:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 11:19   Link #1547
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Personally, I'd much rather wait for the original work to finish first and then get a full, good anime adaptation out of it rather than have it rushed out long before the work is finished and lead to "meh" or worse standards by forcing in anime-original stuff, rushing events, lacking development, cramming in fillers in some cases *looks at Naruto, Bleach, and others*, etc.

Inuyasha, for example. Several YEARS before we finally got the last chunk of the story out in manga form and then longer before the anime adaptation, but I felt the wait was more than worth it because it really captured the feeling from the manga. If they had gone and simply ended it where it left off before, I would've been pissed off and completely unsatisfied.

On the other hand, we had things like Claymore, Elfen Lied, etc, which left me feeling in such a way with their anime adaptations (follows the work and then just gets an abrupt anime original ending) while the manga versions that kept going still had/have me hooked.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 11:45   Link #1548
Miraluka
Banned

Ep.13:

Metis tails Athena in order to kill her but Erica and the girls stops her while Godou takes Athena away from the place but the girls fails and I won't spoil more about the episode but at the ending appears certain misterious masked character.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 13:27   Link #1549
II Maestro

Masked Rider has appeared(LoL~!).
Old 2012-09-28, 13:31   Link #1550
Doria

I don't really think any problems Campione! may have stem from the number of vols specifically. To take a couple recent examples, SAO is on pace to adapt ~2 volumes in its first cour (of 2), while Jintai adapted around 6 volumes, as well. Many might argue that Jintai had the better adaptation--judged purely on this season, since we can't say anything about SAO's next season--despite "cramming" in 6 vols.

I think it's really about expectations and execution. LN readers have specific expectations, and as anyone who's gone to see something they've read knows, it's really hard to divorce those expectations from the actual adaptation (even if you try!).

But mainly, whether it's anime original or LN material, execution is the main thing. With good execution, you can make an anime that may not adhere strictly to the novels (or whatever), but that still feels like a whole, well-realized, and spiritually faithful work.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 19:39   Link #1551
ImperialFlameGod8190

the last episode was painfully boring honestly
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 21:28   Link #1552
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
the last episode was painfully boring honestly
Yep. Good story should give good impression to the viewers, but for some reason Campione doesn't leave any impression at all to me.
Old 2012-09-28, 23:37   Link #1553
Midonin
Last Engage

Campione! The Final - Take Us Away, Mr. Narrator

Aside from the weird production delays on CR's side that persisted in the last weeks of the show, it was a fine viewing experience. The finale was a fine usage of everyone's abilities, and I do like that the thing that brought Metis down came from Athena herself. I thought Metis's voice sounded familiar, very Madoka-ish. And Madoka-ish it was, because whenever Yui Ogura is somewhere, Kaori Ishihara can't be very far behind. I wonder how many more projects those two are going to be together on.

There were a lot of elements that I liked in the series. The usage of mythology was implemented in a more dynamic way than usual, and was very well researched. (Or if it wasn't, very well made up to appear convincing.) The animation on Godo's swords, and the color palette of the world where the war of words took place, was very eye-pleasing. (The idea of kissposition isn't bad either.) Erica's proactive, but I don't think she was too creepy about it, and the rest of the girls were varied enough in personality and battle type that they were entertaining to watch. Ena arrived to late to make a significant impression, though.

I also loved Fumihiko Tachiki as the narrator. Narrators in general are awesome, and if you need someone to make a story sound exciting, he's your man. As far as action harems go, I'd say it was a nice example. A good way to pass the time, and in that, it has accomplished its purpose.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 00:23   Link #1554
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Pay attention and pay attention well. This ladies and gentlemen, is a Harem ending. Not that crap where he doesn't make a choice and feels incomplete, a real harem ending where there is no damn need for a choice, cause he gets ALL of them.

Now for my review that's kinda biased lol.

As some of you've heard me mention over and over, I am a Tenchi fan, therefore I use it as a template when grading other harems. What I look for is a strong male who has a courage, beautiful girls who love him eternally, a somewhat decent plot that's more than just the ecchi, for me, and a sign that a TRUE HAREM will happen. Campione definitely fits the bill.

I found all the girls likable, and that's a plus when dealing with a harem. While Godou could be dense at times, he has the gift to catch on quick, which was very useful in the series, not only with dealing with enemies, but for him to understand the situation he is in probably for the rest of his life. The action was top notch, the comedy was decent, and I was waiting for the next episode after each episode ending. This and Hagure were my favorite shows, but while Hagure has a better MC imo, Campione had better harem members.

This was the best harem show for me since Sekirei and Sora no Otoshimono, which has similar qualities. I can definitely say this will be added to my personal collection, and will be watched again for replay at some point in time. From a straight up unbiased POV, this gets a 8 out of 10. I'm not a novel reader, so luckily I didn't come in here with expectations from the Novel, I was here to simply be entertained, and I was. From a biased True Harem lover though, this gets a 10 out of 10 from me, had everything I love in an anime and left me very satisfied and eager for more.

A season 2 is probably unlikely, but I'd be more than glad to welcome one.
Old 2012-09-29, 00:39   Link #1555
Insane
Banned

Conclusions :
1. Godou turned into kissing beast throughout the story.
2. Romance side left hanging (Erica confessed to Godou several times but he just ignored it). None of other heroines have confessed to him directly, and we know what it leads to.....
3. Godou become the "real" Harem King, even more so than Ise from DxD.
Old 2012-09-29, 00:46   Link #1556
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
3. Godou become the "real" Harem King, even more so than Ise from DxD.
Having a discussion about that with a friend right now. Godou currently holds Harem King rights IMHO, Issei is too biased towards Rias, and I hear in the future, it becomes even MORE one on one relationship status.

But I don't think the romance side is left hanging at all. Nothing to really answer. He has 4 wives, one Milf mistress and a part time Goddesses girlfriend. Nuff said.
Old 2012-09-29, 00:53   Link #1557
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
I found all the girls likable, and that's a plus when dealing with a harem. While Godou could be dense at times, he has the gift to catch on quick, which was very useful in the series, not only with dealing with enemies, but for him to understand the situation he is in probably for the rest of his life. The action was top notch, the comedy was decent, and I was waiting for the next episode after each episode ending. This and Hagure were my favorite shows, but while Hagure has a better MC imo, Campione had better harem members.
I don't think he was truly dense, or maybe he was little dense during some parts. More than that, Godou seemed to be more suspicious of the intentions of the girls rather than him being stupid to realize his situation. His case wasn't that of the hapless hero who just didn't 'get it' while they were all offering their love on a silver platter for him, as much as it was really him just being overly suspiscious of the forces at play in his life. When he realized that Erica's intentions were true after all and let the denial of such go (finally...), he handled the situation quite well and answered her feelings.

Overall, this anime has been a mixed bag for me. Underneath it all is a lot of rich ideas supporting an interesting story, but it comes out lacking in terms of execution. The number of episodes seems a bit too small considering all the grand scale of events, and a bigger budget certainly wouldn't hurt as well. I saw gods, listened to mythological lore and heard words of power; and while it was all well and good, I felt that this anime could've been even better than this.

Still, the anime is quite decent and entertaining enough with what it had to work with, but all this time I couldn't help but think that there was so much potential in this anime than what I was seeing. I'm not sure what discrepancies exist between the anime and the source material, but it does seem like I've missed a lot of details along the way. So, I guess I should start looking up the light novels then? Not exactly a great lasting impression after the final episode, but it's not bad either.

Quote:
Having a discussion about that with a friend right now. Godou currently holds Harem King rights IMHO, Issei is too biased towards Rias, and I hear in the future, it becomes even MORE one on one relationship status.

But I don't think the romance side is left hanging at all. Nothing to really answer. He has 4 wives, one Milf mistress and a part time Goddesses girlfriend. Nuff said.
Harem King is still Tenchi in my opinion. Judging by your avatar, I'm sure you already know that for yourself.

Godou has 4 magic-casting knights and shrine maidens plus a sorceress and snake goddess at his side, but it's another thing entirely when your wives and mistresses are made up of hyper-dimensional deities, cosmic beings and powerful extraterrestrials that can conquer entire galaxies for you.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-09-29 at 12:16. Reason: Please edit your post and refrain from double posting...
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 01:00   Link #1558
Insane
Banned

Quote:

Probably we cannot compare Godou with Ise from DxD. Godou is really epic and daring enough to make a move towards his harem (kissing, and even sexualizing Erica). Ise, on the other hand, mainly could only drooling, nosebleeding, and imagining things in his pitiful brain.
Old 2012-09-29, 01:05   Link #1559
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Harem King is still Tenchi in my opinion. Judging by your avatar, I'm sure you already know that for yourself.
Oh no doubt, I was just talking about the young generation....Tenchi is too old-school for them, they ain't ready yet
Old 2012-09-29, 01:19   Link #1560
Divini
Senpai!

Just finished. I have a lot of beef with the pacing and storytelling. While I haven't read the LN yet, it's glaringly obvious that 13 episodes was too little to fit everything neatly.

With that said, episode 13 was awesome - worthy of being a finale. Don't know how anyone can stand up to a party of 3 magic knights, a healer, and a leader that can use UBW with 10 overpowered abilities on a 1-day cooldown. Also has a goddess' blessing as backup. Bow down to the harem king.

Overall the anime is just decent. The storyline had lots of potential, but the execution is horrible. The fighting scenes made up for it somewhat. If anything, it makes me want to start reading the LN even more, to get the full experience.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen