AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 6 13.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 4.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 26.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 24.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 15.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.44%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 4.44%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 6.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-03, 23:26   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm not sure why people would find this episode "filler-ish".

This is the first episode yet where I've gotten any significant amount of that "Key supernaturalism!" feel.

Before, you could possibly chalk up the guy tying missions to Lennon as just some prankster. Not now. Now whoever that guy is, accurately predicted a pretty unusual event. Like Riki himself points out, it certainly points to something odd and mysterious.

While Key sometimes overdoes its supernatural plot elements, I also think that Key has this neat way of handling them. It has this misty air of magic to it that I find very intriguing, and one of the distinctive elements of Key.

Another thing I liked about this episode is how it balanced out the cast so far. This episode did a good job of making me believe in this motley crew of mixed gender friends. There's a good chemistry within the group as a whole, that goes between just Riki and his bros, or Riki and his hos. You have a few of these little interactions between one of Riki's male friends and one of the heroines that makes it feel more "real"; like a bunch of people that really are friends with everybody else in the group.

I find this refreshing, partly because I really like the male characters in this show, and hope that they won't get lost too much amidst the heavy focus that each of the heroines will obviously receive.

Finally, this was a good episode for Rin in general. And I think she needed it. It was nice to see her really take charge in this episode, and not just ride off of her brother's coattails. I also think this episode had some nice moments between Rin and Riki. Nothing necessarily romantic, but also scenes that indicate how much the two trust each other and rely on each other.

Riki's voice, which I originally found a bit too feminine, is starting to grow on me, too. It helps that Riki himself, though a somewhat reserved guy, does strike me as growing more and more in the mold of the typical Key main protagonist.

All of the above being said, this episode mostly just shows a lot of potential. With this episode, I'm starting to see where all the hype surrounding this franchise might be based on something concrete. That potential remains unrealized, though this episode could represent a big step down the road to realizing it.

8/10 for Episode 9.
Old 2012-12-04, 06:17   Link #22
Gohan78
Awakened One

This episode was decent overall, but a step down from last week. It didn't help that the whole episode was focused on a minor task.

The usual problems that plague this series resurfaced: bad animation, unfunny jokes, uninspired music. I didn't like that they cut away from the Rin vs Sasami battle, and most grating of all, they reminded us of Riki's condition just moments before it manifested again. They also tend to keep useless lines like Kud's affinity with tamagoyaki (who cares?).
Fortunately next week is Mio's proper introduction to the cast and it should be a good episode.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2012-12-04, 06:50   Link #23
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
they reminded us of Riki's condition just moments before it manifested again
This bugged me too, second he mentioned it I knew it was gonna happen. It should be unexpected, like it could happen at any time
Old 2012-12-04, 09:34   Link #24
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
This bugged me too, second he mentioned it I knew it was gonna happen. It should be unexpected, like it could happen at any time
I'm more worried that Riki seems to be repeating himself TOO often.
Old 2012-12-04, 14:28   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
they reminded us of Riki's condition just moments before it manifested again. They also tend to keep useless lines like Kud's affinity with tamagoyaki (who cares?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
It depends on what JC Staff is aiming for.

If they're aiming for "Make the audience feel dread, shock, and horror over the narcolepsy so that the audience will feel what Riki and his friends feel", then yeah, this approach is failing.

However, maybe each narcoletic event is like a dot in a series of dots that when you draw a line through all of them you get a picture. So perhaps the JC Staff is trying to create some sort of detectable pattern with the various narcoleptic events. In which case, you want the particulars of each specific event to be well-remembered by the audience. For this, telling the audience it's about to happen, slowing it down, and letting the context for each specific event really sink in, is all beneficial. If this is the aim, then I think JC Staff is doing a pretty good job of it so far.

So yeah, I'm not yet decided on if I like this approach to Riki's narcolepsy or not. Time will tell, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-12-04 at 16:54.
Old 2012-12-04, 16:26   Link #26
GDB

It's one thing if we get a voice-over as it happens. But when they have him talking at the beginning of the episode about how he's "worried about it", and then it happens 10 minutes later, you just roll your eyes.
Old 2012-12-04, 22:04   Link #27
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Triple R
There's a good chemistry within the group as a whole, that goes between just Riki and his bros, or Riki and his hos.
I lol'd

Though on that note, I wouldn't mind Rin or the Student Council Disciplinary chick (Kanata, I mean) being my hos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
It's one thing if we get a voice-over as it happens. But when they have him talking at the beginning of the episode about how he's "worried about it", and then it happens 10 minutes later, you just roll your eyes.
I don't roll my eyes or have any desire to, but I also thought Guilty Crown had perfectly good writing so maybe you should take that with a grain of salt
Old 2012-12-05, 07:11   Link #28
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I lol'd
I lol'd at how you quoted me. That's right - I am The Triple R.

Well, Little Busters is unique in that it's a story about one smooth operator and his bros and hos. If "Muscles" wanted some quality workout time with Kud, would Riki put his bros before his hos?

In all seriousness, it is nice to see a VN adaptation where the male side of the cast is more than just the lead and his wingman.
Old 2012-12-06, 02:15   Link #29
flack

Dropped. Can't stand it anymore. 9 episodes is enough for me. This is just an insult to the VN IMO. Thankyou JC.
Old 2012-12-06, 20:56   Link #30
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I decided to watch this episode since I had nothing else to watch at that time. Wow, I thought the show couldn't get any worse. I don't know why this show has its own sub forum when there is little interest now, and when there are other shows that deserve it better.
Old 2012-12-07, 03:58   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I don't know why this show has its own sub forum when there is little interest now, and when there are other shows that deserve it better.
Because, if for no other reason, it's important to keep the visual novel spoilers away from anime-only viewers, and that would be nearly impossible if this were all in a single thread. Anime sub-forums are not simple indicators of popularity (or "worth"), but may reflect practical considerations as well. See Also.
Old 2012-12-08, 23:36   Link #32
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Sasami does nothing to me, but at least I remember her name by now. This humor was a solid miss and I dunno what the heck they're doing with the music but it doesn't really set the mood. And it looks cheap

This episode gets a 4 and I'm not sure why it exists. Why do I feel this way? Because it's still playing on one corner of my screen when I'm posting this. There's still 5 minutes left. End already.

Edit: Yo, Riki just fell victim to narcolepsy again. Nobody seems to gives a shit, so why should I?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-01-22, 03:12   Link #33
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The Secret of the World still awaits the Little Busters, and this time, the second quest involves "saving the cafeteria". To Rin, this is her chance to open up herself to others, and to the Little Busters, this is their first major team-building activity. However, to Riki, this is a 100% prediction of a mysterious person, something that he cannot just shrug off as a lucky guess.

And it seems that despite the completion of their mission, this still leaves Riki with more questions to ask himself.

I wonder, do those cafeteria ladies actually suffer from narcolepsy as well?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-04-14, 06:59   Link #34
s07195
However,

I seem to remember a minigame like what happened in the episode. I also remember sucking at it.

My favorite moments
"Silence, outfielder!" "I'm a catcher..." (I play softball, so I laughed at this one.)

*Rin runs away*
*Riki's mobile beeps*
-.-
"What should I do?"

Which reminds me, will Riki mention those lines ("What worries me more is narcolepsy" and "I was disconnected from the world") every time he has an episode?
Old 2013-04-14, 08:03   Link #35
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Which reminds me, will Riki mention those lines ("What worries me more is narcolepsy" and "I was disconnected from the world") every time he has an episode?
Yes he will, and it makes it looks forced and stupid. Fortunately, he only has a few attacks. There should be more of them, but given how they are made, I'm happy there's only a few.
Closed Thread