AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-09-10, 23:20   Link #181
guyverfanboyclone

Send a message via AIM to guyverfanboyclone Send a message via Yahoo to guyverfanboyclone
I rather enjoy Negima, but all those girls names! Too many to remember!
And i wanna eventually get Chuang Yi Publishing's english version too (Singapore) and see how it compares to Del Rey.
guyverfanboyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 00:16   Link #182
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyverfanboyclone
I rather enjoy Negima, but all those girls names! Too many to remember!
Just remember the important ones that actually played fairly important roles up to now~
Asuna, Konoka, Setsuna, Nodoka, Yue, Evangeline, ChaChaMaru, ChaChaZero, Makie, Ku Fei, Kaede, Kazumi, and Ayaka.

I also happen to remember these:
Chisame, Fuuka, Fumika, Yuuna, Sakurako, Satomi, Chao Rinshen, Mana, Akira, Madoka, Haruna, Sayo, Zazie, Ako, Natsumi, and Chizuru.

...the rest I don't remember. >_<
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 14:13   Link #183
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I haven't seen the Covers for Volume 6 yet, can any of ya give me a link for it?

a link for volume 6 and 7 would be nice. thx ^_^
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 00:35   Link #184
guyverfanboyclone

Send a message via AIM to guyverfanboyclone Send a message via Yahoo to guyverfanboyclone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
I haven't seen the Covers for Volume 6 yet, can any of ya give me a link for it?

a link for volume 6 and 7 would be nice. thx ^_^
Well here's a vol. 6 pic.

guyverfanboyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 08:27   Link #185
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
well
Florens = blooming/in bloom, flowering; flowery, bright/shining; flourishing, prosperous
Burgenis = citizen and evolved into bourgeois for the french was above the normal 'working class'. Since Citizens in Rome were the only ones capable of owning property/voting, etc... But a large portion of them weren't.

So looking at Ayaka as being rich and high in society I think this may be a kind of "flowering Rich Girl?" or just "Prosperous Woman"
Hmmm, that doesn't sound very combat related. Mebbe she can win fights by bribing the other side!

What does Asuna's card say?
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 17:13   Link #186
WraithOD

Spoiler for Latin on the cards:
WraithOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 03:53   Link #187
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithOD
Hmmm, you'd have to figure for Asuna that the latin description describes her as a fighter, whilst Nodoka's description doesn't describe her Pactio power up at all, just what sort of person she is, like the card for Ayaka.
Old 2004-09-16, 05:27   Link #188
WraithOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Hmmm, you'd have to figure for Asuna that the latin description describes her as a fighter, whilst Nodoka's description doesn't describe her Pactio power up at all, just what sort of person she is, like the card for Ayaka.
Spoiler for More Latin speculation:
Old 2004-09-16, 05:51   Link #189
FlyByNite

Quote:
You pretty much nailed the translations
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 09:08   Link #190
Nolan Void
Discordian Game Designer

Send a message via MSN to Nolan Void
bellatrix comes from bella = beauty or beautiful trix is a suffix for female ( the version for make us taur, sometimes spelled tor in modern language)

sauciata just means shes saucy...

bibiotecaria means librarian
Nolan Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 23:47   Link #191
WraithOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Void
bellatrix comes from bella = beauty or beautiful trix is a suffix for female ( the version for make us taur, sometimes spelled tor in modern language)

bibiotecaria means librarian
Thank you for the clarification!
Old 2004-09-17, 15:12   Link #192
chaoz
I see all and pwn all

Are the Delrey translations any good? I'm probably gonna buy them once Boarders have more in stock.
chaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 16:58   Link #193
Sydney2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoz
Are the Delrey translations any good? I'm probably gonna buy them once Boarders have more in stock.
I personally enjoyed the Del Rey editions, but there are others who'll say that it's lacking in translation and colour pages. Having said that, they are the only legal way you can read the manga in English (so far), so go for it!
Old 2004-09-24, 05:43   Link #194
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

My translations of the cards are here:
http://www.prettyguardiansailormoon....?p=65754#65754
and here:
http://www.prettyguardiansailormoon....?p=67903#67903

Quote:
The main meaning of bellatrix is female warrior.

Quote:
Sauciata is a form of the word sauciare, to wound. In this case, it means something like wounded.

So Asuna is the Wounded Female Warrior.

Quote:
That's about right. Pudicus is the masculine form.

Quote:
Bibliothecarius means male librarian, so bibliothecaria must mean female librarian.

Quote:
Florens is a present participle of florere, to flower. In this case, it can mean flowering or even abounding in flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Void
It means that she's wounded. She has bandages on.

I bought the second volume of the MNM manga yesterday. I'm going to say right away that the Latium Lexicon Negimarium is full of errors. My Latin professor would have a fit. The Latin phrases themselves are okay, but the "translations" aren't always accurate. Magister Negi Magi can't mean Wizard Negi-Sensei unless you wish to introduce new grammatical rules for Latin. But I really do appreciate the Latin.
Old 2004-09-24, 09:37   Link #195
Sydney2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphanus
My translations of the cards are here:
http://www.prettyguardiansailormoon....?p=65754#65754
and here:
http://www.prettyguardiansailormoon....?p=67903#67903

I bought the second volume of the MNM manga yesterday. I'm going to say right away that the Latium Lexicon Negimarium is full of errors. My Latin professor would have a fit. The Latin phrases themselves are okay, but the "translations" aren't always accurate. Magister Negi Magi can't mean Wizard Negi-Sensei unless you wish to introduce new grammatical rules for Latin. But I really do appreciate the Latin.
Great job! I was hoping someone was going to do a detailed job on the cards!

Just to clarify on the Charta Ministralis ("Ministral" Card), the Minister (the "Ministral") is the partner of the "Magister", the one who protects the Magician. (That fact is in volume 2, so it's not really that much of a spoiler.) The number that is listed is the seating in the classroom- so Asuna, who is card 8 sits in seat 8.

You find out more about the process of selecting a Minister and what the cards do in volume 3.

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-24, 22:48   Link #196
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Going off topic here...

Volume 7 Cover:

Spoiler for Inside:

Back Cover:

Spoiler for Inside:
Old 2004-09-25, 12:14   Link #197
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Smile

Quote:
Just to clarify on the Charta Ministralis ("Ministral" Card), the Minister (the "Ministral") is the partner of the "Magister", the one who protects the Magician. (That fact is in volume 2, so it's not really that much of a spoiler.)
Well, at the time then I translated the cards, I didn't have the book. I haven't updated my translations yet.

Anyway, your explanation makes sense. Ministralis in this case should be an adjectival form of Minister (male partner, male attendant) or Ministra (female partner, female attendant), so Charta Ministralis should mean something like Ministerial Card as in Attendant Card.

I have something to say about the HILARATRIX on the Sakurako card. None of my dictionaries list the word hilaratrix or its masculine form hilarator. Google doesn't help me find anything else that attempts to define the words except a Japanese Negima site. I also found a site that mentions Thresor de la langue françoyse, but that isn't helpful to me.) I wonder where the creator of the card saw hilaratrix. Anyway, I can look at the word and tell what it means. The verb it came from is hilarare, meaning to cheer. If you rip off the are ending and stick the a and the trix suffix at the end, you have something that means she who cheers, which is a good word for cheerleader.

There is some writing on Asuna's weapon that I didn't notice until now. There seem to be three words, but I can't make out the second one. The first one is "MINISTRA" and the third one is "ASUNA." The Japanese site that I mentioned earlier shows "ensis exorcizans," meaning exorcising sword.
Old 2004-09-25, 18:23   Link #198
Sydney2K

Quote:
I have something to say about the HILARATRIX on the Sakurako card. None of my dictionaries list the word hilaratrix or its masculine form hilarator. <CLIP>
I think I read in the news recently that some latin language body recently added new words to the ocabularyvay, and some linguists didn't like the new words the body came up with because they were applying ancient application to what were essentially modern words. Obviouslyway isthay odybay idn'tday employway Akamatsuway-enseisay!

Quote:
There is some writing on Asuna's weapon that I didn't notice until now. There seem to be three words, but I can't make out the second one. The first one is "MINISTRA" and the third one is "ASUNA." The Japanese site that I mentioned earlier shows "ensis exorcizans," meaning exorcising sword.
Yes- I wonder if it helps you to know that along with the card (which does lots of neat stuff!) the subject of the card gets some kind of instrument (not necessarily a weapon)? It then makes it interesting to speculate from the description provided on the card and what we know about the character on the card what speciality that person does.

BTW, Evangeline's partner has
Spoiler:

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-25, 18:36   Link #199
Sydney2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Going off topic here...
Volume 7 Cover:
Back Cover:
Not really off topic... but- yay for flying turtles! Is that the spoiler or is it the text? And two thumbs up for having Ayaka on the cover (at last!)

My copy is coming on Monday! Unfortunately the sender didn't send it the day it came out, but rather the day after the weekend, which was a long weekend! Oh well, I am getting it, so I can't complain.

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-25, 21:27   Link #200
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Is that the spoiler or is it the text?
Eh? What are you referring to...?

Quote:
Quote:
There is some writing on Asuna's weapon that I didn't notice until now. There seem to be three words, but I can't make out the second one. The first one is "MINISTRA" and the third one is "ASUNA."
Yes- I wonder if it helps you to know that along with the card (which does lots of neat stuff!) the subject of the card gets some kind of instrument (not necessarily a weapon)? It then makes it interesting to speculate from the description provided on the card and what we know about the character on the card what speciality that person does.

BTW, Evangeline's partner has
Spoiler:
Asuna's full version sword says "MINISTRA NEGII ASUNA" whereas ChaChaZero's blade says "MINISTRUM MAGI CHACHAZERO." I personally think it just means "mage's partner so-and-so."

Oh, and off-topic again, but Ayaka's single "雨上がりの天使" is pretty good. I think the seiyuu (Minagawa Junko; yes, Echizen Ryoma from Prince of Tennis) does a wonderful job portraying the elegant lady-like Ayaka. ^_^

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-09-25 at 23:32.

Tags
action, fantasy