AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-10-15, 00:41   Link #1
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Fall 2012 General Impressions Thread: Post Your Opinion and Grade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
...once again I summon the denizens of Animesuki to share their initial thoughts and impressions on this season and to update them if anything interesting changes.

Initially, I had planned to create an initial and final impressions thread for each season, but they got mixed up last time. So whatever, anything regarding any show that is airing this season can be discussed and updated; when the time comes you can update with your final thoughts as well.

The intention of the thread is mostly to discuss what's hot and new, but any thoughts on carryovers from previous seasons may be brought up, but do make sure you are talking about the most recent episodes (don't come here to rant about fillers in a long ongoing series from last year, for example).

Because it is still early, it may be a good idea to express grades in terms of keep/drop/stall if you're unwilling to give a rating at this point, or something like that. I'm more interested in which new shows are your priorities.

Previous formats went something like this, but obviously you are free to express your thoughts however you want; Your rating can be in terms of letter grades, numerical ratings, facepalms, etc. Or maybe you don't believe in grades.

Name of Series:
Episodes Watched:
Rating:
Comments:
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Also, I would ask that any specifics be kept in spoiler tags, please.

Nobody will arrest you for violating any formats or anything so post whatever thoughts and try not to comment on other people too much.

Clearly one of the best anime seasons to date, ever. At least in my opinion. I'm not kidding you, I'm watching 15 different anime this season to start (though that may change), an all-time record for me. I usually don't like more than 2 or 3 in a season, but WOW. So many good ones this fall it astounds me. Many adapted from great manga.

To Love-Ru Darkness
Tonari no Kabutsu-kun
Zetsuen no Tempest
Shinsekai Yori
"K"
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Jormungand (Second Season)
Sword Art Online (continued into ALO arc)
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!
Sukitte Ii na yo
Little Busters
Btooom!
Magi
Ixion Saga
Bakuman S3

Only ones I'm a bit shaky on are "K" and Shinsekai Yori. Both had a questionable first episode, and little-to-no exposition. I like to know what's going on in a story. Ambiguous storytelling is not a big favorite of mine.

Ixion Saga I'm watching because it looks funny, not because it necessarily looks GOOD. I am in fact fully prepared to drop it. Just for the record.

Some I'm NOT watching cuz I dropped 'em:

Medaka Box
Hayate no Gotoku Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Dog Days'

I dropped the Medaka Box manga because it somehow managed to kill my suspension of disbelief. How it managed to do that to a hardcore otaku like me is beyond comprehension, but there you have it.

Hayate no Gotoku stopped being funny about halfway through the second season for me. I'm surprised it even had the support to get a third season. (Then again, Dog Days got a second season, so what do I know... )

My personal favorite top 5 picks in no particular order:

Sword Art Online
Bakuman S3
Jormungand
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Sukitte Ii na yo

Note: Yes, I am going through a shoujo romance phase. It'll pass in a few months.

Now you might be wondering why Magi isn't on that list of favorites. Well, I'm sorry to say that it isn't my favorite. I read the manga up-to-date, but it was almost a chore for me. It certainly had its moments, but it came off as kinda hackneyed for me. I'm not sure what all the hype about it is for, since I would rate it overall as "above average", but certainly not "fantastic" as most people this season seem to think. I am however, more than willing to try the anime to see if it makes a more interesting version than the manga. First impressions for me are that it does.

Last edited by monir; 2012-10-15 at 01:07.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 04:33   Link #2
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Name of Series: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: B+
Comments: A quirky romcom made by KyoAni. Its main draw is the fact that a lot of us had this embarrassing moment in our life that can be reflected in this series. It's.... embarrassingly entertaining.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Rating: Absolutely FABULOUS
Comments: To every of those tired of the last seasons' offerings, and craving for some retro shounen, Jojo IS the series for you. The animation IS limited, lets not be kidding ourself here, David Production is.. errr... a David compared to the Goliaths that are Madhouse, Sunrise and Toei.
However, the direction manages to make up for the shortcomings of the production values and also the original source, because Phantom Blood IS considered to be the weakest and least compelling arc of the whole series, especially by those who discovered the franchise through the 1990s OAV series and the Capcom fighting game. When people are pleasantly surprised by what they have seen so far in those two episodes, you know David Production is doing a good job, and can only pray that it pay off and hope that we can have Battle Tendency and, why not, the rest of the series.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): KEEP

continuing from last seasons: Hunter x Hunter 2011 and Total Eclipse.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 13:49   Link #3
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I haven't watched all the shows I want yet, but from what I've seen, the keepers are most likely:

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Sukitte Ii na yo!
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Tonari to Kaibutsu-kun
Little Busters!
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanajo
OniAi
Hayate no Gotoku
Teekyu (mostly because it's short)
Girls und Panzer
Zetsuen no Tempest
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
Gokicha!

The only show I'm disappointed with so far is Shinsekai Yori. For all the buzz it's getting, it's been a serious letdown for me thusfar. Episode 3 will have to win me over if I want to keep it.

Only shows left for me to watch this season are Medaka Box 2, Seitokai no Ichizon 2, Code:Breaker and Psycho-Pass. And TLRD, but that show is unwatchable due to being massacred by censors. Plus, I need to watch the previous seasons anyway, so I can wait for the BDs.
Old 2012-10-15, 15:09   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Season is beast so far. I'm following quite a few shows that I can't say there's all that much crossover between (although some share some similar themes), though obviously I'm further along in some than in others. These are just my first impression grades:

Title: Btoom!
Eps Seen: 2
Rating: B-
Comments: Part of the gratuitous violence pack that is making a comeback this season. I'd liken it to playing Bomber Man on a survivor island where I'm not sure what exactly the goal is other than kill everyone and find out how to make it off. So far it's only really focused on two characters as remotely sympathetic while everyone else seems to be a sociopathic asshole, although it's still doing better than how most Hollywood films portray gamers. Keeping.

Title: Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Rating: C+
Comments: I think this one is mostly going to be carried by it's animation budget more than anything. Although the second episode had some genuinely fun moments I'm highly skeptical as to whether that was just an aberration and how long the show can maintain itself if it's just going to focus on the whole wacky delusions thing. Haganai was similar in that regard and it didn't really hold up all that long and it ran out of steam. It's going to depend on whether it can find other sources and angles for humor and entertainment otherwise I just can't imagine sticking with it. Keeping for now though.

Title: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
Eps Seen: 1
Comments: Extremely manly and looks to be an epic story, unfortunately similar to Total Eclipse I think it's potential as an action series is going to be heavily restricted by it's obviously low animation budget and visual style unless it can find some way to make it work better for itself. There are some aspects of it that I do like such as the classic style posing and the use of comic book SFX (as some call it the fabulousness), but others I can see just as easily working against it such as it's seemingly dislike of actual movement. Keeping for now though.

Title: Little Busters!
Eps seen: 1
Rating: C-
Comments: Just really not my thing at all and I just found the cast kind of annoying for the most part and the humor a complete bomb with me. Definite drop.

Title: K
Eps seen: 2
Comments: Not sure what to make of this one at all like many others. The visuals are pretty gorgeous but the plot and tone is a total enigma with only a couple of hinted threads to go on so far. Keep for now, but it's got about 2 more episode to find some stability otherwise I could sure use a lighter load of shows to follow.

Title: Magi
Comments: Yet another show that looks positively gorgeous and like it should be a lot of fun. The cast of characters seems pretty colorful and well rounded and it seems to be set up to have some longevity too it. Also dig the Arabian nights theme it has going on. Keep.

Title: Psycho-Pass
Rating: A-
Comments: Very well paced first episode that served as a great introduction to the world. This series looks to try to fill the gap of psychological dystopia near future anime that has sprung up since the middle stretch of the previous decade. I like the concept of a system that is so efficient as to wrap around and potentially lead to the actual causation of what it is trying to solve (it resolves it's own side effects) and I look forward to how it seeks to pursue that angle with it's fish out of water heroine. Anyway one of the best starts to a series I've seen this season. Definite keeper.

Title: Robotics;Notes
Comments: The other half of noitaminA and no less of a great start, though I think this might be one of those YMMV premiers where impressions will flucuate wildly depending on how enthusiastic you are about anime style giant robots. For me though it was a fantastic start, all of the characters look to be interesting and I feel that I will be able to channel my enthusiasm for mecha through them as time goes on and there appear to be more wrinkles and cast members to introduce to the mix yet. Like most shows this season there's a lot of great eye candy in the opener too. Definite keeper.

Title: From the New World
Eps Seen: 3
Rating: A
Comments: The furthest show along this season and also probably the most interesting so far for it. Each episode has been gripping from start to end, the direction and visuals are up there with the best of the season too, and it's also quite dense in terms of narrative with lots of grim foreshadowing (and a grim back story it appears as well) and things to ponder even as it appears to be very laid back in it's pace. Looking very much forward to seeing where this is going and it's a definite keeper as well.

Title: Zetsuen No Tempest
Rating: B
Comments: Holy mother of god that soundtrack. The theme of murder and vengeance permeates this show and the plot seems to be gearing up towards something really interesting, but then again this is BONES and they've been positively atrocious of late when it comes to maintaining momentum from a strong start and I'm about 50/50 on this one still managing to find a way to meander itself into irrelevance even if it's had about as strong a start as anything they've done since Brotherhood. I really REALLY hope they manage to pull this off and make a functional show out of it though as it'd be a shame to let the themes and that awesome soundtrack go to waste on yet another go nowhere waste of time. Please Bones I implore you, keep this one going strong after the first 3 episodes.

Title: Aikatsu
Eps seen: 10 minutes
Rating: D-
Comments: Not even Sunrise's magic tricks of spinning concepts that should never work for me into great shows can save what is obviously a show aimed at very young girls for me. Didn't even make it 10 minutes through my attempt to curiously peer into what looks to be the companies only project this season. Dropped.

Title: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanajo
Rating: D
Comments: Decent animation budget, tremendously annoying cast. That's about it and it's a drop.

Title: Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun
Comments: It's shoujo, the main character is kind of an asshole to the heroine as expected and then they start what looks like it's going to be an on again off again romance with comedy. I'm just not sure this type of series is really my cup of tea, but I'll put it on hold for now to see where it goes. Maybe if I end up dropping another couple of shows I can pick it up again.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 17:07   Link #5
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Season Pass:

Psycho Pass

First episode had me going from the beginning. And personally, I'm a huge fan of thriller anime like this.

===
Kamisama Hajimeshita

I'm also a fan of youkai....and Daichi.

======
Potential Passes or I Like This So Far

K

If anything else, just for the 'It's so out there and dumb that it's good' quality.

====
My Little Monster

I want to see how this goes. So far, I"m entertained.

====
Robotics; Note

It might be cute....but personally, I"m not a fan of mecha too much. However, I am a fan of the studio that made Steins Gate which is enough to keep me watching for now.

=================
On the Bubble, or We Are Not Impressed So Far

Code Breaker

I love Samurai Deeper Kyo, so I was psyched to see this. I'm not completely disappointed yet, but compared to Psycho Pass or even K, this is just...'MEH".

And goddamn...Rei's a dick. Does get points though for Sakurarouji...even if she's basically 'KILLING IZ BAD MMMKAY?' Not too often that we get a good heroine.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 22:35   Link #6
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Only listing shows I'm planning on watching past the obligatory first episode.

Shin Sekai Yori - Dropped after second episode, but I give it an A. Dropped only because a show like this I want to marathon in one sitting, which I plan to do at the end of the season.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - C+. Mildly funny, even if I've seen this a thousand times before.

Jormungand 2: Perfect Order - A. Guns, humor, violence; in essence, pure enjoyment. Lehm is like the father you wish you had, and Koko the girl you wish you brought to prom.

Hayate the Combat Butler! Can’t Take My Eyes Off You - B Plus. Hayate is one of the very few anime that has kept me watching despite the haremy/creepy child love qualities. Because, if you ignore those aspects, it's quite hilarious; more so, the more anime/manga you've watched/read. This season is even better-so far-due to very little of the creepy child love rearing its head as of yet.

Btooom! - A. Probably should be a B. Solid battle royale show, but I have to give it an A because it's not making me watch K-On animation while trying to convey a serious/gritty/etc story (glares at SAO). In this age where slightly inverted moe eyes seem to be the rage, that's worthy of a grade bump.

Gintama (2012) - B. I have been a Gintama fan from that first day Shinsen Subs released an episode all those years ago. I've watched it slowly morph into what it is today. For the worse, as far as I'm concerned, but it's still funny (a little), so I still watch.

K - B. Very stylish. Overwhelmingly oversaturated. I don't see this being another Baccano, but I certainly see it trying.

Zetsuen No Tempest - A. I'd all but given up on Bones, a studio I held on an altar with Production I.G in distant past, but prior to watching this, a studio I now held in the lowest esteem. I'm glad I gave this a shot, as I almost didn't.

CODE:BREAKER. A. That A is on the amount of lols Ogami has given me in episode two. As a cynic, I'm assuming Ogami is going to be taught to be more human and lovey dovey by the end of this series, especially since we're already seeing signs that he's not as dark as he pretends to be, but I'm hoping to get plenty more laughs until the story inevitably reaches that point.

Sukitte Ii na yo. Looks good. Haven't seen it yet. Planning on watching it.

Magi. A, if only because it seems to draw on the spirit of old-school shounen/adventure series, rather than the ridiculously expository shounen titles of today (not that I have anything against exposition).

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. B minus. Amusing filler.

PSYCHO-PASS. B. I've always gone into an Urobachi Gen show assuming it'll be an A+, never wavering in the faith. There's nothing particularly bad about what I've seen of Psycho Pass so far, but I feel like I've seen this all before. It's Gen, so it's possible there's some off the wall twist to shake things up, but...for now, a solid B.

ROBOTICS;NOTES. B plus. Solid.

Everything else I generally wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole, but JoJo is only being skipped because I'm familiar with the source material, while not being so much in love with it that I want to watch a show where I already know what's going on.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 23:04   Link #7
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
First of all, thanks to Spectacular Insanity for starting this thread - meant to but have been super busy and unusually more air-headed than normal lately.

Arigato!

For me this season has been even more enjoyable than the summer in terms of number of series I have been "engaged" in. An even heavier load than last season. :\

Anyhoo - here is how things have been thus far:

Spoiler for Put in spoiler tags because of the length of the post....:

Last edited by Flower; 2012-11-09 at 23:02.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 00:56   Link #8
Echoes

Alrighty...

Great season so far. Great variety across demographics, genres, themes and art styles. I love it. I'm not going to fly off the handle and let my unbridled enthusiasm flow just yet, but I sure have been given plenty of reason to do just that.

A quick thought on the sequels this season first. Jormungand (Very fun), Medaka Box (good...ish), Bakuman (ever-disappointing) and Hidamari Sketch (relentlessly pleasant) all remain mostly consistent with their earlier installments. The only sequel I caught that deviated heavily in terms of quality when compared to its predecessor was...

Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You
What happened here? Unpleasant designs and art style, no Norio Wakamoto, terrible humor and a boring attempt at plot progression. I'm just not enjoying any aspect of this series at the moment. I really hope it improves over time, and I'm willing to wait; I love those two first seasons.

Moving on to the new stuff, of which there is plenty.

K
Like many others, I don't quite know what to make of this one yet. I'm enjoying myself, but the mishmash of genres and styles makes this really unpredictable. I could end up loving or hating this one; I just hope it won't pander too much.

Psycho-Pass
I'm really liking this one. Slick style with a dark sensibility and an intriguing concept to hook us in. The first episode did a fantastic job integrating the world-building and exposition into the action, which bodes well for the future of the show. Hooray for an actual plot-based show that's two (well, almost!) cours as well! Hana-Kana doesn't hurt either.

Btooom!
There's really nothing original here so far. It's been done, and it's the kind of idea that (to me) doesn't really work once you've already seen it several times before. That being said, the second episode was really solid, and I'm interested to see where they might take this. There's a downright nihilistic tone to the series that makes me want to stick with it. I hope they keep it dark and misanthropic, without dipping into the downright exploitative.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
This show has a lot of qualities I like, and a lot that I don't. The male lead reminds me of Yumeji from Yumekui Merry. I just don't know what to say about this one. But I think I like it.

These final four are my favorites so far, and they are marvelous.

Utterly charming on every level. Rikka is lovely, cool and spectacularly moe. The voice acting is fantastic, the animation is beautiful, and I really enjoy the show's sense of humor. An all-around smash-hit in my book.

Magi

This is just a ton of fun. An Arabian-themed grand adventure-show which is great to look at and features a compelling trio of leads so far. I love to see this kind of stuff, the show evokes the same sort of childlike joy as Saturday-morning cartoons, but has enough of an edge to be entertaining for adult viewers. I guess my only complaint would be Aladdin's obsession with breasts; but hey, that's just nitpicking.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
This show is filled with so much amazing, masculine badassery that it's scarcely believable. It never relents, pushing forward at a brisk pace, making sure there's never a second of boredom. It's old-school in its approach, and unabashedly so, and I absolutely love it for that. Edge of your seat kind of stuff. Takehito Koyasu really lets loose the demon inside him in this one, it's outstanding!

Kamisama Hajimemashita

This one mainly comes down to two simple factors: A great female lead and competently executed humor. The shoujo art-style is pleasant, and the characters really hit the spot for me. It's also very, very funny, possessing a nice mix of humorous situations and traditional jokes that seem to flow seamlessly.

The fact that the four shows I've loved the most have virtually nothing in common speaks volumes to the variety present in this season's offering. Good, good stuff.
Old 2012-10-17, 12:03   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I agree this has been a spectacular season so far. I haven't picked up this many shows in a long time (Fidays are so freaking packed...).

Great:

Shinsekai Yori - I am absolutely loving it so far. Amazing direction, impressive soundtrack, impressive storytelling and a mesmerizing atmosphere.

Magi - a rather original (for anime) and appealing setting. I've always Arabian nights so it's great to see an anime inspired by them. Characters are pretty fun and the story interesting enough.

Hidamari sketch x honeycomb - more of the same, which is really all I asked. This season is visually more impressive than the previous ones. Good job, Shaft.

Gintama - it's Gintama. I should have even put it in a tier of its own.

Good:

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - A nice cast of characters and good comedy. It's made me laugh quite a few times. The heroine is cute.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai - Incredibly entertaining and up to Kyoani's usual standard when it comes to visuals. Very fun to watch.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - I'm a long time fan of the manga and the adaptation doesn't disappoint. The animation is barely decent but the art direction makes up for it. Will undoubtedly move to great once we hit the second part.

Jormungand perfect order - I enjoyed the first season just fine and this one seems even more promising.

Medaka Box Abnormal - I enjoyed this arc in the manga so I'm expecting to like it animated. It mostly depends on much effort Gainax will put in this. The first episode was good enough.

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne - Not a very original harem but the cast makes it work. It appeals to my imouto fetish too. Character design is very cute.

Psycho-Pass - I love the dystopian setting. First episode had its flaws but I trust Urobuchi to make something great out of this interesting premise.

Fine:

Little Busters! - Not much to say about it. The premise isn't very interesting but since it's a key work, I know there is more to the plot than this. The comedy is fairly hit and miss. A decent watch but not something I'd recommend.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Good cast, decent comedy. Not much to say about it for now. I'm waiting to see how the story will progress.

K - excellent visuals and style but not much substance thus far. I have no idea what to think of it anymore after seeing the second episode. Waiting to see more.

Meh:

Btooom - Typical survival/battle royale story riddled with the usual cliches.

Robotics;Notes - First episode utterly failed to grab me. Hopefully, the next one will be better.
Old 2012-10-17, 16:09   Link #10
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Everyone is neglecting my favorite anime of the year which I guess debuted in the spring but is still going strong:

Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki: For me, this is one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time. The writing, music, and animation are all top notch.

9/10 for the show

10/10 for the opening theme song
Old 2012-10-17, 22:17   Link #11
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I forgot to add:

Magi:

This, along with Kamisama, is probaly my favorites so far this fall.

Rating: A (Season Pass)
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 00:13   Link #12
Insane
Banned

Masterpiece :

1) Psycho Pass
Cool guys doing cool things. Full of thought-provoking question which keep glued me with it. Cool weapons with ability to reduced a human being into pile of flesh.

2) Jormungand
Good action mixed with nice black comedy was a nice treat.

3) Sakurasou no Pet no Kanojo
A normal dude got paired with quiet beauty and got surrounded by a bunch of bonkers feels very charming.

4) Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai
Full of crazy antics and high specs comedy with ability to blow my stomach up due to heavy laughter.

Good

1) To-Love-Ru
Ecchi is the best! Screw those censorships and holy light beam!

2) Girls und Panzer
Millitary version of Saki coupled with crazy antics from its characters cracked my head up every 30 seconds.

3) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
The very first shoujo adaptation which doesn't make me bored.

Unwatchable

1) Code Breaker
eps 2 began to show its unfaithfulness from original source and totally ripped the plot apart. Dropped.

2) Little Busters
Nothing happened thus far. Dropped.

3) K
Still confusing with the plot. Waiting until the plot begin to kick ass.

4) Ixion Saga DT
Flat comedy, flat characters, flat plot. Dropped

5) Medaka Box
Too much "DBZ" hype, the show pulled off too much "deus ex machina". Dropped.

6) Robotic;Notes
Nothing happened thus far. Waiting until the plot begin to kick ass.

7) Onii-ai
Boring conversations and "out of nowhere" plot. Waiting until the plot begin to kick ass.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 00:40   Link #13
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Name of Series: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Comments: The humor is quite amusing, and the female lead has an amazing personality. However, i hope it's not one of these where the guy treats the girl like crap and it's all ok because he's troubled but sexy or some bullshit like that. The script is extremely fluid

Name of Series: Psycho-Pass
Episodes Watched: 1
Comments: It's a good start and gives off nice GITS vibes. Considering IG's last sci-fi, Gen Uborochi is most likely the polar opposite when it comes to writing. Expect tons of mindfucking despair with more confusing shit.

Name of Series: From a New World
Episodes Watched: 3
Comments: It excels in audio and visual aspects. Most importantly, it gives off the impression of an futuristic and very alien world, living up to its name. This is really a place far detatched from our own. It seems to be unraveling slowly but surely.

Name of Series: To Love Ru Darkness
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: F-uck
Comments: It's currently unwatchable in its current state. But aside from the censorship, the script is extremely uninspired and the atmosphere and music is very poor. The first two seasons worked around the censorship fairly well, here they think that by implying tits and ass in a blatant way is going to make people buy the dvd. Well, I already have a better commercial for it, and that's the manga. Only increased dosage of Yami can save this. \

Name of Series: Little Busters!
Comments: Well, nice and slow, I find this particular work a bit less harder to get into than previous Key works. Unfortunately, Key can't seem to back away from their more annoying tendencies, JC staff or not, and comes off with certain rather annoying childish female archtypical portrayal. Some call it moe, but I call it derp. Fortunately, it's not completely off the deep end as they sometimes do, since the 3 male leads hold off the show quite well. I'm waiting for more interesting characters on the female end though. The production values are acceptable but leave much to be desired.

Name of Series: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Rating: C-
Comments: Under normal circumstances, this show I would regard as complete trash. What with the bad perv in the most cliche fashion with some truly awful dialogue. It doesn't help that some of the character archtypes range from nonexistent to obnoxious and the best character in the show has about a few lines every episode. Still, for all of its sloppiness, it looks good and actually is showing a small ray of light by the end of episode 2 with some rather good usage of geniune moe and cuteness. This show will live and die by the fact of Mashiro having a personality or not, but given this is JC staff, if she's not a frothing at the mouth tsundere, I'll take what I can get. Also, there are some incredibly fine behinds in this show, if anything.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 00:58   Link #14
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It feels saddening when all of the series I'm watching for this season — K, Robotics;Notes and Little Busters — were given very low marks. Maybe it has got to do with the slow starts of those three series unlike Psycho-Pass with its EXPLODING BODIES in Episode 1 and Chuunibyou's antics.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 08:33   Link #15
Kirarakim

Don't usually reply to this but why not:

My favorite series so far is From the New World: I just find the world, characters, and story fully engaging. It also to me has the best OST and art design of the season.

Biggest Surprise of the season would be Ixion Saga DT. I only watched this for the seiyuu and expected another generic RPG show what I got was some mad cap parody. Guys you have Jun Fukuyama as a trap that resembles CC, it's a must watch. As a bonus the thread on here is pretty fun too.

Also enjoying: My Little Monster, Kamisama Kiss, Psycho Pass, & Magi. Not sure if I will be able to continue them all though.

Not worth continuing: K too much style over substance.
Old 2012-10-18, 08:58   Link #16
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Favorites by rank (could be drop if anything happens)

Sword Art Online (continued into ALO arc)
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!
Kami-Sama Hajimemashita
To Love-Ru Darkness
Little Busters
"K"

Undecided but downloaded

Psycho Pass
Sukitte Ii na yo
Btooom!
Tonari no Kabutsu-kun
Robotic:Notes
Shinsekai Yori
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 21:22   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Don't have time to watch everything, so I'm narrowing down despite lots of good shows:

Tonari no Kabutsu-kun
Episodes Seen: 3
Grade: A-
I like the manga, and like the anime even better.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:
Episodes Seen: 2
Grade: M for Manly!
Fun to watch something so old school.

Little Busters
Episodes Seen: 2
Grade: B
Not understanding the hype yet, but it's not bad.

Kami-Sama Hajimemashita
Episodes Seen: 3
Grade: B+
The surprise choice for me to watch. Not really my genre, but the story is fun and well done, so I'll just sit back and enjoy it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 04:19   Link #18
mistress_kisara

Here's mine

The A group

1. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - A-
This was very well adapted, loyal to the manga, very likable characters and the humour is well executed
2. Kamisama Hajimemashita - A
Loyal to the manga, the art is 100% loyal to Suzuki Julietta's and also very funny
3. Sukitte ii na yo. - A-
Very good execution even if the plot is generic
4. Zetsuen no Tempest - A
Very consistent so far, I am enjoying the action
5. Psycho-Pass - A
I like the story and the animation so far

The B group

1. Magi - B+
I really like the characters, I never read the manga I'm really curious to what would happen every week
2. K - B-
Very nice visuals, although plot is quite slow, I think it'll come through halfway to the series
3. Code:Breaker - B+
The main character is badass and the plot is interesting

The C group

1. Hiiro no Kakera: Dai ni Shou - C+
Its a lot better than the 1st season, they're starting to focus on the other characters and that's a good thing

*I'm not dropping anything, my policy is either you watch it or you don't, no 3-episode rule either
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 15:43   Link #19
ion475
にこにこにー

Well, was still catching up last season somewhat. I'll add in LB and OniAi later whenever I get to them.

Name of Series: Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
Comments: The battle scene = A+++, Chuuni Power = A, Rest = B. So good, so far, is all I'm going to say

Name of Series: Sakurasou no Pet no Kanojo
Comments: Personally the 2nd most awaited anime this season. Episode 1 is a little bit weird in my opinion, but episode 2, which gets into the story, reminds me why I anticipate this series...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep...unless J.C. mess this one up completely

Name of Series: Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: F-------------------------- (C before Episode 3)
Comments: That Hina...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, but only b/c I like the series and I really want something to trash on for every season (Gundam AGE has filled that role for last year...)
Old 2012-10-19, 17:09   Link #20
leokiko

From the "worst" to the best:

Title: Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun
Comments: This is the only shoujo adaptation of the season that I've read the manga beforehand, and Brains Base have been adaptating it excellently so far. But, like its manga, its flawed. The main guy is too bipolar and doesn't make any sense most of the time, and the concept of Bad Guy gets Anti-Social girl has been played out too many times for me to care that much. However it's the only anime on Mondays, and ignoring its flaws, the comedy and character interactions makes for decent entertainment.

Title: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai
Comments: I will admit that I don't find this as funny as most people, but I stil laugh quite a lot from Rikka's antics. It's an easy watch as well, I don't need to think much and just enjoy the superb animation and occasionally funny gags.

Title: Little Busters!
Comments: Am aware of how Key games and VN in general work(I've played LB! a bit), so I'm sure stuff will start happening more as it goes on, but so far it's only build-up. Episode 2 improved my ratings of it because it made me laugh a lot. I do have some complaints though, but I will save it for the appropriate thread.

Title: "K"
Comments: I was constantly mesmerized by what was happening on-screen. The animation oozes style. It's awesome. However, I'm watching too many animes this season so will stall this.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Title: Btooom!
Comments: Seinen is my favorite genre, and this shows promise from the get-go. Nothing major yet though, just introducing the characters and a bit of awesome Madhouse-esque action.

Title: Psycho-Pass
Comments: It's alright. The setting is the best one this season right besides Shin Sekai Yori, but didn't excite me quite as much. Maybe it's because the characters aren't as interesting yet. There was a lot of world building though, which I like. Considering stalling one of the noitaminA titles, this has a higher chance for now.

Title: Robotic;Notes
Comments: 4th favorite. Loved everything about this, the characters, the setting, the premise etc. Not much to say so far though, slow pacing and all.

Title: Sakurasou na Pet wa Kanojo
Comments: Wow. My favorite genre - romcom- being adaptated wonderfully. My 3rd favorite of the season, it deserves the spot because I was never bored for even 1 second. The girls are cute, the ecchi is just enough to be enjoyable and not hinder the plot, the characters are quirky and fun...and crazy; and the animation is beautiful. The fact that this is 2-cour is just icing on the cake.

Title: Shin Sekai Yori
Comments: My second favorite anime of the season. I loved everything but the generic character designs. I would have given it a higher rating if it weren't for that. Why does A-1 have to make everything character they touch look generic? *sigh*. Anyway, I'm stalling this one. Why? Because it's on a latecast on CR and these types of shows are usually better marathoning.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Title: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Rating: A+
Comments: My favorite anime of the season. It's so manly, so over the top, and so awesome. 3rd episode was incredible, and the voice actors(specially Dio's) are outstanding in their roles.

Didn't watch yet:

Imouto anime of the season
Zetsuen no Tempest
Sukitte Ii na yo
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Ixion Saga DT

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-10-19 at 18:22.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote