Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-19, 08:44   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 493 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-03-19, 08:50   Link #2
Rahan

From the spoiler script, it looks like Luffy knows Duval.
Old 2008-03-19, 09:12   Link #3
Fyria

Well my source site didn't post typical spoiler script but instead buttloads of pics about chapter pages and later they were translated.

9 pictures were posted totally and I guess posting of that amount of pictures here is against rules so I instead post translations of pictures.

Spoiler for Chapter 493 spoiler summary:
Old 2008-03-19, 09:15   Link #4
Hikari no Clover

removed.................

Last edited by Hikari no Clover; 2008-03-19 at 18:12.
Old 2008-03-19, 11:01   Link #5
marvelB

Ah, it's so nice to see Brooke fighting as an official member of the crew now. Almost brings a tear to my eye...

And it turns out that Duval wants revenge against Luffy after all. However, from the pics and script, it looks like his face still isn't shown to the readers yet. I'm still gonna lean towards him being a new character rather than a returning villain, though....

Oh yeah: Since we're getting a CP9 ministory, I'm really more interested in seeing what becomes of Spandam than any of the other CP9 agents. Though, I'd also like to see what happened to the train fighters (Jerry, Wanze. etc.) as well.....
Old 2008-03-19, 13:56   Link #6
SillyPirate

It is kinda funny after all that speculation, that it is now still unverified, but likeliest Luffy who knows Duval. Brook = soooo cool. I expected sound/music related attacks, but I thought they would save them for 'special times'. It looks like when not fighting zombies, Brook has a repertoire of unique attacks. Already can't wait for more.
Old 2008-03-19, 14:18   Link #7
Blue-san

Curious if we ll see the same pattern, well if not at least the guess I made about the guy who Duval is seacrhing for seems to have been the right one...

Few questions perhaps...

1. Do you still think it will be a short fight

2. Some speculations Duval being Dadan arose whats the opinion on that

3. Luffys face...Scared? Surprised? Both?...what is it...

My hope and expectation...hoping this will go smooth and that SH will beat the poo out of them soon and we ll all be wow at their current stregth etc etc...

My thinking...this Duval guy Luffy seems to know him this wont be an easy fight there is smth more about it...

P.S. Dont like the fact how the entire CP9 survives...kind of makes buster call look like a nightmare to scare little kids with and kind of makes you drop all future questionmarks that would have been floating above your head, about who ll die etc...Death really isnt THAT bad mr Oda and even if Kenshin followed that patteren please...some ppl die some dont no need to make it into Berserk but please dont make it for 5 under viewers/readers only...
Getting the feeling 4Kids are paying mr Oda to keep the sceens happy and deathLESS...Just a comment and a bit of tears I would like to share otherwise all nice and dandy...

Blue

Last edited by Blue-san; 2008-03-19 at 15:06.
Old 2008-03-19, 14:41   Link #8
Rahan

Well, since it looks like the Duval Luffy will start 4 chapters after the beginning of the arc, I guess Duval is either a pushover or a badass who will own Luffy who will have to try again (kinda like when he had to go 3 times after Crocodile)
I'd go with the former. Duval is only the introduction of the island's plot I think.
Old 2008-03-19, 14:42   Link #9
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-san View Post
1. Do you still think it will be a short fight
Unequivacally yes. I expect, at most 3-5 chapters more for this fight/arc, even then, that might be going over

Quote:
2. Some speculations Duval being Dandan arose whats the opinion on that
Who is Dandan?

Quote:
3. Luffys face...Scared? Surprised? Both?...what is it...
Luffy looked similiar to how he looked when he saw his Grandfather Vice-Admiral Garp. The kind of shocked, surprised look that Luffy only gets when he is seeing someone that scared him as a child. So, I am betting that Duval is going to be someone that Luffy knew back when he was a kid. ( Did Luffy recognize the accent more than anything, or maybe the body build? I only ask, since Duval's face is still covered.)

I loved Brook's fighting in this chapter. As Cartman would say, "Hella Sweet!".
And I did enjoy the CP9 reunion in this chapter. Oda could develop a very nice "Soldier after war" story with these soon to be ex-assassin/spys (I imagine that they have either been fired or soon will be fired for so completely failing their job).

And I still can not shke the near constant Waterworld reminders . I always knew that the film did better outside of America, but to be alluded to a decade later in a hit Shounen Jump manga is almost otherworldly. Kevin Costner must be rolling over in his grave due to happiness. (Kevin Costner is dead, isn't he?)
Old 2008-03-19, 15:03   Link #10
Blue-san

Pardon Dadan(typo)...

Dadan is most probably a person (friend) to whome Garp entrusted Luffy and Ace while they were young...
And Dadan is mentioned in the scene where Luffy gets a new bounty and a mayor of Luffy"s hometown says that he wonders if Dadan knows what has become of him...

P.S. James
Kevin Costner aint dead heh

Blue
Old 2008-03-19, 15:25   Link #11
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
Quote:
Pardon Dadan(typo)...
Dadan is most probably a person (friend) to whome Garp entrusted Luffy and Ace while they were young...
And Dadan is mentioned in the scene where Luffy gets a new bounty and a mayor of Luffy"s hometown says that he wonders if Dadan knows what has become of him...
well i two chapters ago i said if Duvel wants luffy, he is most likely is Dadan.. but even though i said that i didn't except it to happen because i always though that dadan would be luffy big brother and he would be an admiral...

what a shock...

anyway luffy got a bad memory and he doesn't remember characters if he kinda showed reaction that he knew Duvel.. then duvel most likely is someone he really knew.. but i still doubt it dadan..

for several reason but the two i can came up with are:
1- Why did he said that man .. and not luffy .. (also shouldn't someone knew luffy since he was kid call him that kid instead of that man !!)

2- Why did he said i hope he is on that ship ... of course luffy as a captain of SH should be on that ship.

3- Dadan is the friend that supposedly trained luffy after Garp sent luffy to him.. so why the heck that friend is turning bad !?? i find it hard to believe garp wanted to train luffy to become a marine and with that he would send him to someone that could turn bad..

4- Why would Dadan or Duvel leave luffy all that time.. if he wanted luffy that bad he could waited for him at the entrance of the reverse mountain or lougetown !!

well i am waiting for the translation to make further comments but ...
Old 2008-03-19, 18:14   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Luffy looked similiar to how he looked when he saw his Grandfather Vice-Admiral Garp. The kind of shocked, surprised look that Luffy only gets when he is seeing someone that scared him as a child. So, I am betting that Duval is going to be someone that Luffy knew back when he was a kid. ( Did Luffy recognize the accent more than anything, or maybe the body build? I only ask, since Duval's face is still covered.)

Actually, from the spoiler pics, you can see Duval picking up his mask from the ground and putting it on his head, so Luffy DEFINITELY saw his face. And yes, Luffy certainly was surprised. However, I highly doubt that Duval is Dadan (we only heard the name once from the mayor of Luffy's village, and we don't even know if that's actually the name of Garp's friend.... it could be Luffy's mother for all we know).

Oh, and who do you think is gonna fight the Macro crew? I definitely think that Zoro would have dibs on Gyaro since he has a sword...
Old 2008-03-19, 19:45   Link #13
Monkey D. Luffy

Luffy recognized him but I don't think anything confirms yet that he's after him except maybe the look of surprise on Luffy's face, might. Seeing the CP9 is cool, I want to see what Oda has in store for them.
Old 2008-03-20, 10:46   Link #14
shankss
CP10

About Dadan, I think he is that gangster like officer of Garp, the one who trained Coby and Helmeppo..He might be the one to watch over Luffy in that town and since Dadan must be someone that is against pirates..probly a marine, so that Mayor worried about Luffy becoming a famous pirate?
Old 2008-03-20, 17:44   Link #15
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

guys, I got it.

the monster thatate the land bandit at the beginning of the story where shanks lost his arm.

he survived inside of it (the mermaid did) and ended up here.
who else could have such a grudge?

(p.s. I am half-joking here, if it turns out to be true then all you guys gotta give me good rep )

Last edited by Bari_Phillis; 2008-03-20 at 17:45. Reason: (P.S.)
Old 2008-03-20, 18:35   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
guys, I got it.

the monster thatate the land bandit at the beginning of the story where shanks lost his arm.

he survived inside of it (the mermaid did) and ended up here.
who else could have such a grudge?

(p.s. I am half-joking here, if it turns out to be true then all you guys gotta give me good rep )
Even though you are half-joking, it is highly unlikely that Duval is the bandit who was eaten by the sea monster who took Shanks' arm. Duval is way taller than that Bandit and he also appears to have really long hair that falls over the front sides of his neck (kind of like Kevin Mask and Akuma Shogun from Kinnikuman). So far, there really seems to be no supporting evidence of Duval being a villain we have already seen before.
Old 2008-03-21, 18:58   Link #17
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I got the impression that Duval is a relative of Luffy's, judging by his reaction.
Old 2008-03-21, 19:15   Link #18
Fyria

Omg this was truely amazing chapter!

Battle of Archipelango is amazing, can only be descriped as Fast and Furious...

I really enjoyed every page of this chapter, truely a masterpiece.

Brooke was amazing, and so were rest of crew too! Only Nami and Robin were quite inactive though Nami was busy with rescuing hammers from water.

Brilliant battle going on at Archipelange, more of this please. Duval seemed even more menacing than in spoiler pics, Luffy definatly remembers him well and I got impression that Luffy was shocked and even feared at Duval.

Flying Fishemn seem to be One piece version of Hell's angels or other motorbike gangs. I really can't wait this to be animated for some explosive action.

We didn't had much plot advancment in this chapter but I can totally forgive that becasue battle itself is so enjoyable and fast phased.
Old 2008-03-21, 21:52   Link #19
SillyPirate

So, Duval's long hair is part of the helmet. Nifty, one chapter closer to seeing the face.*(I bet we either get a background story next, or we don't see his face till the mask breaks on Luffy's iron fists).

I am glad Usopp uses the cannon, but I would have prefered to see a prepicture of his targets; showing him taking out like five in one shot, or something similarily awesome.

What is Robin doing...?? I wouldn't have minded seeing riders thrown off their fishes. I think if she is standing around giving occasional commentary, she needs to be holding one of Sanji's special drinks. After all, if she is not going to be fighting, she might as well be giving her show of complete nonchalance.
Old 2008-03-21, 22:06   Link #20
I love waffles!

Quote:
Getting the feeling 4Kids are paying mr Oda to keep the sceens happy and deathLESS...
4Kids doesn't do the english dub anymore.
Closed Thread