AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-05-08, 21:53   Link #41
TronDD
Team the box!

Прости. Forgive me but I forget most of the character's names. The first woman, I assume, is the one shown in the trailer pulling a gun in slow motion. I have no idea who it is.
The second woman is probably the leader of the city... I forget her title, too.

The two in the 3rd picture are probably Hitomi and her boyfriend from the landmate shop. I forget his name. Hitomi was such an adorable looking character in the manga, the movie represention is kind of a let down. Although I guess it fits more with the art style of today.

Sorry I forgot everything, I've brought shame to Appleseed fans. I am going to reread the manga this week, I promise.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 13:09   Link #42
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Thumbs up I'll be there.

I'm totally looking forward to Shirow's new 'Appleseed' movie.
It's been years since the first one back in the late 80's. It's pretty dated now. But I still like it. I've been a fan of Shirow's stuff for years now. I've read just about everything of his that has been published here.

I wonder why they wanted to go for a CGI feel? From what I saw of the trailer it looks pretty good for a CGI/ cel shaded feature. I'm also glad that Masamune Shirow had some involvement in this film. Unlike GITS. I'm really curious to know how this film did.

Does anyone know who has the rights to this feature? I checked A.N.N and they had a list of liscensed anime; both TV and features. 'Appleseed' was on the list but no name of the liscencee. Anyone have some other info. to add?

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 13:21   Link #43
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno
Does anyone know who has the rights to this feature? I checked A.N.N and they had a list of liscensed anime; both TV and features. 'Appleseed' was on the list but no name of the liscencee. Anyone have some other info. to add?
Geneon has the license for North American and european release. Still haven't hear anything about specifically when.

A slashdot minireview here:
http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/05/1541240.shtml
Old 2004-05-26, 13:30   Link #44
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Talking Whoo hoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Geneon has the license for North American and european release. Still haven't hear anything about specifically when.
I know that Geneon will get it out on time. I can't wait to request this for our library's animation section.

Not to mention I want it for myself. I own all his films too. Forgot to mention that one. Oh and another thing I forgot to mention this film does seem to shine a little light on the relationship between 'Deunan' and 'Briareos'.

I guess we'll have to wait until they show it here at a "film forum near us".

Thanks for the info.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 08:49   Link #45
Briareos

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumihiko Sori
Actually, "Appleseed" was originally conceived as a TV series...
That's what I've always felt it deserved, TV length treatment. Although if I was directing it, I'd use the manga as storyboards and tell the story as Shirow told it (for the most part). Of course, as Shirow pointed out in one of the Intron Depot collections, he feels that manga stories need to be changed for anime adaptations, and that it's a better idea to just make an original anime (if you're going to animate).

Anyhow, I'm eagerly awaiting film one of the Appleseed trilogy.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 13:48   Link #46
TronDD
Team the box!

3 movies is a good amount of time, though. Equivilent to a 13 episode series or so. Yeah, the manga is a lot longer, but no need to tell it all. However...

One of the problems with adapting the manga to a shorter format is that Shirow doesn't really tell a story the way most tell them. It takes all 4 books of various events, background conversations, minor actions, and notes in the margin, to build the world the main story takes place in.

Half of me hopes they don't try to cram that stuff into the begining of the movie for the sake of those who have not read the manga. It'll seem really out of place to me. I don't like the way that sort of thing was handled in the Ghost in the Shell movie, for example. Seemed rushed.

The other half of me hopes they can work in the vast amount of details about the technology, politics, philosophy, etc., For those that have not read the manga, but mostly because it's such a huge part of Shirow's worlds, it simply has to be covered. I just hope they can do it well.
Old 2004-06-10, 05:27   Link #47
blue_phoenix

appleseed movie

i know the new applesed movie came out in april in japan, and was wondering if anyone knows when its comin out on dvd. it looks awesome.
blue_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 06:27   Link #48
neXgenErazn

same here
does any1 know if its out on dvd somewhere?
neXgenErazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 22:40   Link #49
TronDD
Team the box!

For those of you who have not noticed (I just did, and I don't know how long it's been around), the official site now has an English version with a translated story synopsis.

Also check out the review on IMDb for another plot summary.

It's quite different from what is in the manga, but it still looks like it will be a good plot. Just have to forget what you know from the Appleseed manga, if you've read it.

Still no solid release dates from the American release or even Japanese DVDs from what I can find.
Old 2004-06-14, 10:54   Link #50
Briareos

Quote:
For those of you who have not noticed (I just did, and I don't know how long it's been around), the official site now has an English version with a translated story synopsis.

Also check out the review on IMDb for another plot summary.

It's quite different from what is in the manga, but it still looks like it will be a good plot. Just have to forget what you know from the Appleseed manga, if you've read it.

Still no solid release dates from the American release or even Japanese DVDs from what I can find.
Not all of the site is translated, but I'm thankful for the stuff that is.

It sounds like the story is quite different from the manga. Deunan's back-story is a total re-write, as is the nature of the crisis at the center of the story (of film one at least).

Oh, well. At least I was warned not to expect the manga's story intact in the film. It'll be interesting to see how this new Appleseed story is told.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 10:00   Link #51
TronDD
Team the box!

There is a "Dive For You" music video which shows some more movie footage. A lot of it is from the trailer but there is some new stuff also. Worth grabbing it for the eye candy.

Arg, I'm getting impatient for this movie.
Old 2004-07-19, 18:29   Link #52
TronDD
Team the box!

Me again.

Geneon has a trailer on their front page with footage I hadn't seen in any other. We also get to hear Deunan's and Briarios' japanese voices. No dub yet.

No release date yet, either
Old 2004-08-12, 03:02   Link #53
DarkScream

Appleseed Information

Appleseed information. I saw a trailer for this movie but I haven't seen or heard a single thing about it since, and I'm very curious about it. Anybody got some info for me?
DarkScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 16:38   Link #54
TronDD
Team the box!

R2 DVDs should be out 11/25

A regular edition MSRP 3,990円

And a collector's edition at 10,290円

Rumor has it that it'll be an early 2005 DVD release in America, hitting the theaters dubbed sometime before that. Still can't find specific dates.
Old 2004-09-10, 11:45   Link #55
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

I ordered the limited addition like a week ago. Should be good. I already got the limited addition ost and making of dvd of the movie
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 20:06   Link #56
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I've just watched half of the Appleseed DVD and all I can say so far is that it is awesome. Absolutely incredible visuals, a cute female protaganist badass, and a good story to back it all up. This looks even better than Ghost in the Shell and Macross Zero OAV. You must watch it. Go watch it now. That is all.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 20:43   Link #57
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

This dvd rip is crap. Honestly I'm REALLY surprised how crappy it is. VERY dirty specially coming from a video thats all cg. I'm just glad I bought the actual dvd and i'll be ripping my own video of for portable use since I hate taking dvds on planes.
Old 2004-11-22, 20:56   Link #58
TronDD
Team the box!

One thing I noticed is that the movements of the characters are so life-like it really highlights how unlife-like the faces are. Other than blank expressions they really did a stellar job visually.
Old 2004-11-22, 21:01   Link #59
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

I think the problem with that. Is that they used Mocap on the face also. Which in theory sounds like a good idea. But the actors had like 20 points on there faces. And japanese people don't really talk with much "expression" in there faces anyways. I'm sure it came out easier and somewhat more lifelike for them but animation isn't really ALL based around perfectly mimmicking a human cause people are to suttle in many ways. Basically what I'm saying is they don't exagerate the faces enough for us to pick up on suttle facial movements we regularly see and I agree with you alot lol.
Old 2004-11-27, 09:27   Link #60
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Muhahahaha. I finally got to watch this film yesterday (thanks to a friend of mine who bought it) and even though we watched it without subtitles (couldn't get his stupid media center to load the sub files. T_T) the movie was bloody awesome! The fight scenes were great and I just LOVED those 40mm gatling tanks! Oh gauds, and those huge city crushing robots? Two thumbs up!

Now this was definately an enjoyable film. hehe.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote