AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Kyou Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 67 33.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 16.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 44 22.11%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 16.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 6.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.51%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.51%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-15, 07:24   Link #161
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Nagisa is such a boring/character. I have no idea why they decided to go her route... The series wouldve been whole lot better if it was any other girl.
No, actually, it wouldn't. Nagisa causes growth in Tomoya and vice versa. Tomoya isn't much changed by his interactions with Kyou in her route... any changes she might have effected in him probably happened during their first year as friends (read: offscreen), and even then I don't think they were many. Tomoya's only real conflict in Kyou's route is the love triangle. I love Kyou and think Kyou/Tomoya is wonderful and all, but Tomoya was not benefited by meeting Kyou nearly as much as he was by meeting Nagisa. Nagisa was the reason Tomoya got out of his funk, and she was the best reason for it. Her family helped (because they're awesome) and Tomoya's own familial problems were also resolved indirectly by the Furukawas.

Tomoyo, the other girl with an after story, is the only other girl who comes close as far as effecting real change in Tomoya's outlook and character.

Nagisa may be quiet and unassuming, but that's not the same thing as boring. She has a strength of convictions and a heart bigger than that Dango family she likes to sing about. I can't understand how her character could be boring... I can't actually find a 'boring' character in this cast.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 07:59   Link #162
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MURICA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Tomoyo, the other girl with an after story, is the only other girl who comes close as far as effecting real change in Tomoya's outlook and character.
I actually consider Tomoyo to be on the flip side of the same coin, and that she fulfills what Nagisa could not do.

And in the case of Tomoyo After Story, it was her who had to internalize a lot of pain, similar to what Tomoya had to go through in After Story.

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 11:43   Link #163
justinstrife
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Galt's Gulch
Age: 38
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Agreed~!!!

Nagisa is such a boring/character. I have no idea why they decided to go her route... The series wouldve been whole lot better if it was any other girl.

Also about the hair. I am also in the group that didnt like the short hair... like some people say - "all anime girls look/draw the same except for their hair and height." so, basically she cut out a part of her unique characteristic by doing that.
I can understand why they went with Nagisa. It's easier to touch upon the other characters' stories, with her as the focus, than it would be for Kyou or Tomoyo.

Do I think her story was better than theirs? No. Do I think she's a better character than them? No. But it is what it is. Once the game is translated, I will be playing Kyou's and Tomoyo's routes so that I can enjoy the stories that did interest me, and leave Nagisa to her fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post

Tomoyo, the other girl with an after story, is the only other girl who comes close as far as effecting real change in Tomoya's outlook and character.
I can't actually find a 'boring' character in this cast.
I would say Tomoyo's arc gives Tomoya an equal amount of character growth, as Nagisa's. Tomoyo forces Tomoya to grow up and take responsibility for his actions, and actually strive towards something. He's not just helping someone else, he's actually trying to get somewhere, and be somebody for once.

I do find Nagisa boring. She and Ryou were the dullest characters in the story as far as I was concerned. I started skipping their scenes to get to the other more interesting characters.

It's not a surprise though, as I can't stand shy, quiet, weak-appearing characters in anime. We have nothing in common, and I just find them out-right boring. Your mileage may vary.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 18:15   Link #164
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
Interesting. This line of discussion made me notice something...Tomoya in this episode...looks depressed the entire time. Sort of like he did in he's colorless world before Nagisa entered it (and after she's gone)...and agian before Ushio enters again. While Kyou might make nice wife for us (and maybe even for Tomoya) if you look carefully, you can see that Kyou is not what he needs to solve his own inner demons.

Of course we don't know what happens to them afterwards since there is no After Story for Kyou...we don't even really know what happens for the rest of that school year. It is entirely possible that they broke up after school ended. It is also possible they have six children and it drives them both crazy. We know Kyou was planning on being a teacher. Would she be able to get her degree with Tomoya around? Would she have to put that on hold if she gets pregnate? Would Tomoya ever fix his relationship with his father? Would he graduate? What sort of job would he have if he was with Kyou?

Too many questions. All we know is how he was and how he changed because of Nagisa in one line, and Tomoyo in another. But did he fix his relationship with his father in Tomoyo After? I don't know.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 19:35   Link #165
FugibayashiFlower<3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Interesting. This line of discussion made me notice something...Tomoya in this episode...looks depressed the entire time. Sort of like he did in he's colorless world before Nagisa entered it (and after she's gone)...and agian before Ushio enters again. While Kyou might make nice wife for us (and maybe even for Tomoya) if you look carefully, you can see that Kyou is not what he needs to solve his own inner demons.

Of course we don't know what happens to them afterwards since there is no After Story for Kyou...we don't even really know what happens for the rest of that school year. It is entirely possible that they broke up after school ended. It is also possible they have six children and it drives them both crazy. We know Kyou was planning on being a teacher. Would she be able to get her degree with Tomoya around? Would she have to put that on hold if she gets pregnate? Would Tomoya ever fix his relationship with his father? Would he graduate? What sort of job would he have if he was with Kyou?

Too many questions. All we know is how he was and how he changed because of Nagisa in one line, and Tomoyo in another. But did he fix his relationship with his father in Tomoyo After? I don't know.
oh how i wish Kyou and Tomoya could be together forever. i enjoy the way they conversate. it's never a boring moment.

i disagree with you with the fact that kyou is not what tomoya needs. i think kyou has something special about her that could bring out the best in tomoya. i know we didn't really get to see the real emotional impact of her OVA but in the VN it's pretty clear that kyou can make tomoya unleash his inner emotions and finally find happiness between the 2 of them. we can see that tomoya really had great feelings for her. in the VN he also mentions that he loves her. isn't that enough to say she could be the one as well? i mean it takes a lot for someone to say "i love you." all in all. i think she can make him as happy as nagisa can.

of course this is in my opinion.
FugibayashiFlower<3 is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 20:08   Link #166
Lonestar9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Upstate, SC
Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Agreed~!!!

Nagisa is such a boring/character. I have no idea why they decided to go her route... The series wouldve been whole lot better if it was any other girl.

Also about the hair. I am also in the group that didnt like the short hair... like some people say - "all anime girls look/draw the same except for their hair and height." so, basically she cut out a part of her unique characteristic by doing that.
Ahhh...it's all a matter of opinion, I dont find Nagisa boring at all, she's a great character, who overcomes a lot to go pretty far...

the hair wasn't such a big deal to me, I like change, so when someone changes that drastically, I think it's kinda cool..
Lonestar9 is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 20:58   Link #167
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
As for the after Story, I think that both stories are equally good , as Umi and Tomoya development is hard to beat. So that could be a one good reason to go Nagisa's route.

Also, is it just me but how come Tomoyo is the one that has gets the bad end of the stick in her AS story. Afterall, Nagisa's AS was able to pull that whole time reset thing so that they lived happily ever after etc etc.
__________________
Android Simplicity: Android How Tos, Android Apps, Android USB drivers
All the Android you will never need
www.AndroidSim.net
shaolinx is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 21:50   Link #168
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MURICA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Also, is it just me but how come Tomoyo is the one that has gets the bad end of the stick in her AS story. Afterall, Nagisa's AS was able to pull that whole time reset thing so that they lived happily ever after etc etc.
That had been changed/modified/discarded by the game's original creator and the original game itself discontinued.

The new versions since the PS2 release have several things going for them. 1. removal of H-content, 2. addition of Tomoya's VA and 3. a happy ending

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 22:35   Link #169
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
That had been changed/modified/discarded by the game's original creator and the original game itself discontinued.

The new versions since the PS2 release have several things going for them. 1. removal of H-content, 2. addition of Tomoya's VA and 3. a happy ending

- Tak
oh, I was basing the ending off of the manga version, which I thought was based off of the original game.... So, why did they stop making the original game AS?
__________________
Android Simplicity: Android How Tos, Android Apps, Android USB drivers
All the Android you will never need
www.AndroidSim.net
shaolinx is offline  
Old 2009-07-18, 16:46   Link #170
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Watching this episode makes me wish that there was an AS for Kyou's arc too (like Nagisa and Tomoyo before her). Think this is my favourite pairing, since I didn't find the Nagisa route to be as sad for some reason.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline  
Old 2009-07-18, 17:51   Link #171
FugibayashiFlower<3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Watching this episode makes me wish that there was an AS for Kyou's arc too (like Nagisa and Tomoyo before her). Think this is my favourite pairing, since I didn't find the Nagisa route to be as sad for some reason.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
a KyouXTomya supporter!!!!!!!!!!!
i agree with you.
i wish Kyou had an AS too!
__________________


Be calm in your HEART. {Clannad FTW!<3}
FugibayashiFlower<3 is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 02:39   Link #172
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by FugibayashiFlower<3 View Post
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
a KyouXTomya supporter!!!!!!!!!!!
i agree with you.
i wish Kyou had an AS too!
I'd love to see what direction they are able to take it in.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 19:48   Link #173
FugibayashiFlower<3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
I'd love to see what direction they are able to take it in.
i hope they get married. and have a kid. and no one dies. PLEASE!
__________________


Be calm in your HEART. {Clannad FTW!<3}
FugibayashiFlower<3 is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 21:32   Link #174
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MURICA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
oh, I was basing the ending off of the manga version, which I thought was based off of the original game.... So, why did they stop making the original game AS?
Call it an investment strategy. Previous KEY games, such as Kanon, featured H-scenes, not because they were good, but because it was hoped that H-scenes would help Kanon to sell. Once Kanon proved that it could sell without the inclusion of H-scenes, the rest is history.

Likewise, Tomoyo After also included H-scenes, and they were done much better this time around, which will certainly raise more than just an eyebrow. But likewise, once TA proved that it could sell, well...

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-07-21, 20:48   Link #175
NettoSaito
Black Knight
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to NettoSaito
I really liked this episode but it made me sad because most likely it's the last clannad. Still it was really nice to see them back in school.
NettoSaito is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 04:44   Link #176
ArbalestARX
<Custom Title>
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
In all honesty this episode was rushed beyond belief. The impact just wasn't there in comparison to say.. the Tomoyo OVA (which in my opinion, is by far the best episode in Clannad's first season). Maybe it was because I read the VN prior to this but even if I were to look at this objectively, I don't think it would be possible to put yourself in the shoes of Tomoya or Kyou, even Ryou in this OVA.

I would've thought that with an event-filled route like Kyou's, KyoAni would've decided on a bare-minimum 30 minute OVA. I guess I was wrong.

I'm inclined to give a good rating because as a character, I like Kyou quite a fair bit.

Now, about Kyou and Tomoya's relationship. In all honesty I think Kyou is someone who could help Tomoya change gradually. He's had a tough life growing up and has basically secluded himself from the rest of the world. But in this route he was able to open up with his honest feelings and say he loves Kyou. A change like that is rather significant in my opinion...

I think people downplay Kyou's potential influence on Tomoya's life because the changes just aren't that dramatic in comparison to say... Nagisa or Tomoyo.

*double-checks to see whether he mixed up Tomoya and Tomoyo's name*
__________________
ArbalestARX is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 15:59   Link #177
ginytah
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
man, this thread is like a convention of nagisa haters. It feels bad u.u
Oh well x_x I specially loved the ilumination at the end *-* those collorfull lights through the leaves of trees.
each girl is like a different season. Kyou is summer I think... Tomoyo is winter, Nagisa is spring, kotomi is fall, fuuko IDK xD, Yukine... windy days?
an the epilogue with Ana is always epic.
ginytah is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 18:21   Link #178
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MURICA!!
Eh, I have absolutely nothing against Nagisa. In fact, I quite like her. However, there are other characters in the show who are simply better. That is all.

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 18:54   Link #179
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Eh, I have absolutely nothing against Nagisa. In fact, I quite like her. However, there are other characters in the show who are simply better. That is all.

- Tak
*ahem*

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean?
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 20:18   Link #180
ginytah
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
*ahem*

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean?
I'm also curious... because saying "better" is pretty subjective. and saying "simply better" is even more... like saying is obvious. and I tend to think that by better you mean hotter or cooler, wich isn't a valid reason to me. well I guess men and women think different.
ginytah is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.