AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 07:49   Link #1
Angelic
Feel the Beat

Anybody else not able to watch "JUST" 1 ep?

I have a problem.
I can't just watch 1 episode of anime. I have to watch it all. In a row.

I see people watching anime as it comes out and it just tortures me to think how they can handle not knowing what happens next. What do I do?

I wait till the anime is finished, get it all, and grab some snacks and watch it all in one go.

now I know what your thinking, "This dude is a hypocrite!", but actually when I say wait for it to finish its not even thinking about its existence until it finishes. I have trained my brain to block out entire shows that I love (<3 clannad was so hard) until they were finished, and when they were its like I woke up that day to discover somebody left 1,000 dollars on my porch no strings attached. Amazing.

Anybody else join this MUST HAVE IT ALL AT ONCE club?
Angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 09:02   Link #2
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Usually the first episode gauges if I'll bother watching the rest of it.

I've never been able to sit around watching TV or such for more than a couple of hours at a time. Trying to watch an entire season even if it's only 12-13 episodes... I just don't think I could do it.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 09:48   Link #3
hinakatbklyn

5 or 6 episodes tops if a DVD. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to spoil myself going through every episode in 1 day.
Old 2010-03-07, 11:19   Link #4
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Goes either way for me. If a series is currently airing I'll watch it weekly, but if I get into it after it's already finished, I tend to watch the entire thing in 1 or 2 days, assuming the story is interesting enough. In fact I spent all day yesterday watching Mobile Suit Gundam.

Same with Manga too, I read all of Elfen Lied over the course of 2 days.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 13:42   Link #5
darry

You get used to the "One Ep per Week"

But ye when i start and i like the first 2-3 Episodes i usualy just watch as much as i can before i get sleepy
darry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 19:40   Link #6
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
The opposite...I watch one and maybe two of one show, then repeat with several others...so it can take me months to watch a show..
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 20:32   Link #7
Archon_Wing
Underwhelmed
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar9 View Post
The opposite...I watch one and maybe two of one show, then repeat with several others...so it can take me months to watch a show..
I'm sorta like that too. It takes a while for me to finish series.

If I like a show, I'm actually more worried about having no more to watch.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 02:43   Link #8
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Well, IMO, an anime episode is much more interesting if i can join others to discuss about it after watching.

So airing series would normally often be overrated by me, while unpopular series are underrated (since no one bother to talk about it). It doesn't change the fact that: all my favourite anime are the one i finished in one go through.
Old 2010-03-08, 03:14   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I generally prefer watching anime in arc-sized chunks (i.e. watching a full story arc, but not a full anime). Basically, I generally dislike leaving off on a cliffhanger moment, and waiting for more.

However, due to the instant discussion and feedback provided by Anime Suki, I have become somewhat used to watching episodes at a pace of one per week.

I think the fastest I've ever watched an anime is in one weekend. I kind of/sort of marathoned all of Fate Stay/Night in one weekend.
Old 2010-03-08, 03:22   Link #10
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

it depends on if the anime I am watching is good enough if it is I would watch it all in one night (well thats if it had 12 or 13 episodes). I'm used to waiting one week for new episodes to come out since I usually keep myself busy with other stuff.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 05:48   Link #11
FateAnomaly

The problem with watching it all at once after it is finished is the discussion have already ended.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 17:47   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm going insane because Durarara!! isn't coming out faster omfg
Old 2010-03-09, 18:11   Link #13
Last Sinner
Don't Call Me Bro

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Depends on the time I have. In years past there were times I'd watch several consecutive or do marathons. But now I'm working, finding the time watch even any has become much harder. Also sucks when you've got someone that can't tolerate you staying up past 10pm or keeps calling you away from the computer. -_-

The one anime I marathoned from start to finish is Mushishi. Made dinner then started watching Episode 1 at 6pm. Once Episode 26 was done, it was 5am the next morning. Most people say they find it hard to watch more than 1-2 eps at a time. But I was just so entranced with it and thought 'Why on earth am i going to spread this out over 1 month?! I'm watching it all!' No regrets at all.

The one series I had cravings that were hard to stave for 7 days waiting for new eps was Code Geass. Watching that as it came out was just a frenzy. Clubs, net cafes, message boards - within hours you could go to those places and start up long conversations about the new episode. Never seen a series have that effect on so many people.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2010-03-09 at 18:25.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 23:54   Link #14
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Wow... I feel like we're soulmates O_O I'm probably the exact same when I watch anime.

Not EXACT same, but I pretty much love marathoning my anime >_>
The first initial episodes... I can probably go without watching the next one (since I'm not into introductions anyways). But as soon as the plot gets good or if the first episode REALLY reels me in, then I feel forced to keep watching.

I generally watch only finished anime too, I can't keep waiting every week lol >_< which sucks because I can't keep up with conversations when people always talk about the newest episode. However, I love the feeling of completing an anime in one-go because I won't forget too much and I won't lose any excitement that I have while watching.

The only exception to this is FMA airing right now. I watched the first season in 2 days? LOL! and I couldn't wait for this one to finish so I started watching as soon as it aired last year. I promised myself that this is the last time I'm going to wait every week for a new ep =S
Buttercup~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 01:15   Link #15
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Well, to be honest, it takes a lot to please me recently.

I think I'm a lot worse than I was a few years ago, now it takes a whole lot to get me to marathon a series... Otherwise I just watch it at a slow pace.

Maybe after seeing the anime that I consider the best I've come up with too high of expectations in the rest. The 'lesser' series just don't do it for me.

But for one like One Piece, I really do wish that I didn't have to wait a week to watch the next episode at times... But I have been spoiled of far a few (huge) events in the future... =/

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 04:03   Link #16
Xion Valkyrie

I usually drop most anime I watch after 1 episode, so I do it all the time =)

Otherwise, if I have time and the episode, I do tend to binge if the anime is really good.

However, this is why I like to watch shows as they come out, it naturally allows me to pace myself.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 12:48   Link #17
Woopzilla
Desensitized

The last time I watched 1 episode per week was for Death Note... never again. I felt like tearing my hair out.

I always wait until a series is complete now. Currently I'm waiting for series like Kimi ni Todoke and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun to complete. Then I usually watch up to 4 or more episodes in one sitting.

Super marathons are extremely rare for me. The anime must be truly captivating for that to happen... and it did happen with Juuni Kokuki. I watch all episodes over the span of 2 days.

45episodes*24minutes=1080minutes, 1080/60=18 hours

It did use up my entire weekened, but I didn't regret any minute of it.
Old 2010-03-13, 14:42   Link #18
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Sometimes for me-- it's just the opposite. Sometimes, I can't even get past the opening credit sequence or maybe the first few minutes of dialogue. Some anime take awhile for them to warm up to me.

Lucky Star, for example, was one that I had the hardest time getting past the first ten minutes. Especially in Japanese since it is dialogue based, I already have a short attention span, and they are debating about how to eat a pastry. I did drop it and I had to wait for it to come out with an English dub before I was able to watch it and not have worry about 'wandering-attention-snap-itis.' But as soon as I did get the English dub, it flowed easier for me and I did want to watch one episode after another. So yeah, it's a bit of a double standard.

Usually though, I want to see more than one episode afterward-- it's similar to when I read a manga, I can't just read one chapter-- it just getting past that first episode that's hard for me. My attention span is the bane of my exis-- Oh look a butterfly~!
Old 2010-03-13, 19:32   Link #19
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
watching in a row was never fun for me... I liked it at first but then I realized I just had to watch more series just to feed this one sitting addiction. In the end you just don't know what to watch anymore and then you get tempted to watch weekly releases and you follow them instead of just watching anime. At least a once a week episode gives me enough spare time to do RL things and focus more on other hobbies than just anime
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 00:27   Link #20
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

if its all out, like an old series, i must watch a sequence of it until a reasonable point in the plot to break. for instance, i couldn't stop watching Cross Game, so i watched all 40 something episodes that were out at the time in 2.5 days.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote