AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-28, 23:27   Link #501
Mentar
Banned

Funi really romanized her name as "Eren"??? What kind of idiocy is that? Gawd...

I'll stick to the game and the natural romanization (which is also the proper way it's spoken AND an existing name): Elen.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 23:28   Link #502
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yes, Not a bad episode in the bunch. And episode 9....
Spoiler for ep9:
Takagaki Ayahi can put as much emotion deep in her voice as any seiyuu I know. Even a voice as emotionless on the surface as this. Just outstanding. Ayahime:

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 23:38   Link #503
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Does it suggest we'll head towards a bad end? Or is it too early?
Naah, we're 100% on track. Besides, I believe (better: I _hope_) that they will combine elements from several "true endings" in the anime. The earliest moment to tell will probably be the preview of ep26, so lean back and enjoy the ride. The storyline is going to take some wild twists and turns, and this is one of them.
Old 2009-05-29, 00:02   Link #504
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Naah, we're 100% on track. Besides, I believe (better: I _hope_) that they will combine elements from several "true endings" in the anime. The earliest moment to tell will probably be the preview of ep26, so lean back and enjoy the ride. The storyline is going to take some wild twists and turns, and this is one of them.
I think the anime ending will...
Spoiler for stuff:
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:25   Link #505
GDB

Quote:
Funi really romanized her name as "Eren"??? What kind of idiocy is that? Gawd...

I'll stick to the game and the natural romanization (which is also the proper way it's spoken AND an existing name): Elen.
It's supposed to be Elen? I thought they were just mispelling Erin.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:30   Link #506
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
That's a major stuffup. Elen is a girl's name and Eren is a boy's name according to my search. Damn Funimation.

Even Erin is fine, but not Eren.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:36   Link #507
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
That's a major stuffup. Elen is a girl's name and Eren is a boy's name according to my search. Damn Funimation.

Even Erin is fine, but not Eren.
It's a very quick sub, so I imagine that errors like that will be fixed with future episodes.
Proudleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 02:22   Link #508
Mentar
Banned

Well, it's an "official" translation, and they definitely had the script long before it aired.

"Elen" is the romanization from the "Phantom of Inferno" game from Hirameki. And it certainly is the most common and reasonable romanization too.
Old 2009-05-29, 02:56   Link #509
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Quote:

I was thinking "Eren" looked a little weird when I first saw the subs on Funimation's site. So, it's Elen, huh? Maybe I'll just call her E-chan from now on.
Old 2009-05-29, 02:58   Link #510
v1cious

i am amazed at how good this show is. i've been keeping my guard up on this one since it's Bee Train, but damn this is a real turnaround for them. it may even be better than Noir.

Last edited by v1cious; 2009-05-29 at 03:10.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 03:18   Link #511
Nightwing(T_T)
Sooo............sad

Ep 9 really excite all Elen X Reiji supporter isn't it?

Spoiler for Ep 9:

PS: Am I the only one who kind of annoyed with "eren" ?
Nightwing(T_T) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:08   Link #512
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Eren and not Elen is just plain silly. I wonder if whoever subbing the series at Funimation, have even tried the Visual Novel? I'd say probably no.
Otherwise it was a really great episode.

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-29 at 07:40.
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:11   Link #513
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Eren and not Elen is just plain silly. I wonder if whoever subbing the series at Funimation, have even tried the Visual Novel? I'd say probably no.

Otherwise it was a really great episode.
well the R in nihongo does have an L sound
Old 2009-05-29, 07:22   Link #514
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I'm aware of the issue with L = R in japanese, but it is clearly written as Elen in the already english localized sourcematerial. They could have just check it there how they wrote it (Or they wouldn't even need to play it, just ask some gameplayers on the internet, or read some reviews etc)

edit:
Spoiler for Another case with Funi higher ups ignoring Visual Novels, bit offtopicish:

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-29 at 08:02.
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 09:24   Link #515
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I'm aware of the issue with L = R in japanese, but it is clearly written as Elen in the already english localized sourcematerial. They could have just check it there how they wrote it (Or they wouldn't even need to play it, just ask some gameplayers on the internet, or read some reviews etc)

edit:
Spoiler for Another case with Funi higher ups ignoring Visual Novels, bit offtopicish:
hum thats pretty strange doesn't bother me too much regardless
Old 2009-05-29, 09:34   Link #516
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I know, it's not like the world is going to fall apart.
But Eren is a bit embarrassing error for an official subtitle IMHO.
Old 2009-05-29, 14:10   Link #517
Key Board
Carbon

If you phonetically break up her kanji

江漣

江 e
bay

漣 ren
water ripples

thus, eren
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 20:09   Link #518
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I won't complain about romanizations that follow the sound of the Japanese exactly. I think that usually simplifies things for translators. In any case, it should probably have been "Ellen" in the first place, since that name exists in English and "Elen" doesn't. Once there is a consistent official spelling, though, everyone's right that they should stay with that.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 20:47   Link #519
Key Board
Carbon

Or you could continue calling her Ein

Which she seems to chose to be at the moment

Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 10:48   Link #520
Manic
real men love pink

I like the name, she looks more like an Erin than she does an Ellen.

Also whoever said Erin wasnt a female name is wrong, Erin is typically how you spell the it for a female name with Aaron being the male spelling

Tags
action, eroge, gunfights, seinen