AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2018-11-26, 13:30   Link #5701
Frontier

Well, it seems like the main thrust is getting a lot of new spinoffs out there, so I'm wondering if they're trying to fast-track adaptions of stuff like Progressive or Girls Ops anime-wise or if they want original content set in the SAO universe.

I am also kind of curious when the next SAO game will come out, since I imagine they'll probably at least do one Underworld/Alicization based game since they've already done a few SAO ones and an ALO and GGO game.
Old 2018-11-27, 00:49   Link #5702
Rageth
Certified Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
No one's gonna talk about Alice growing cat ears?
The prologue to Volume 21 was released some time ago, and was already fan-translated.
Spoiler for Vol 21 prologue (and thus, Alicization ending spoilers):
Rageth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-27, 00:58   Link #5703
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
And just to clarify, there is a big difference between thinking Kawahara is not a good writer and thinking your fanfic is better writing than an actual published author.
To be fair, it's actually pretty common for random web novels to get picked for publication as light novels. The level in light novel writing is that low.
Old 2018-11-27, 02:45   Link #5704
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

True, but the series is still popular. It wouldn't be popular if there wasn't something that appeals to fans. I don't think SAO is the greatest series ever made but I don't think it deserves nearly as much of the hate it gets from some anime fans.

To use an American example: Tom Clancy's characters in the books are pretty one-dimensional IMHO (At least when compared to other military fiction writers like Craig Thomas and Stephen Coonts), but his detail in writing the military tech, etc is what sells the story.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-28, 08:01   Link #5705
l.kostas

Reki Kawahara Writes Original Short Story for Sword Art Online: Alicization Anime's BD/DVDs

In order to save their kidnapped childhood friend Alice, Kirito and Eugeo set out from Rulid Village for the capital, Centoria. As the entrance exam for the Imperial Sword Mastery Academy draws near, the pair stumble into the Bilzen Inn as they hurry along. It's been several years since the inn closed, and the owner is still missing. When Kirito learns this, he encourages a reluctant Eugeo to investigate with him for the night. That night, Kirito wakes up to see the figure of a girl with transparent arms and legs--!
"Mister... Aren't you afraid of me?"

What is the truth behind this "ghost" who has appeared before Kirito and Eugeo?

The first Blu-ray Disc and DVD releases will contain the first three episodes and will ship on January 30, 2019 in Japan.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-28, 16:22   Link #5706
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
True, but the series is still popular. It wouldn't be popular if there wasn't something that appeals to fans. I don't think SAO is the greatest series ever made but I don't think it deserves nearly as much of the hate it gets from some anime fans.
You're assuming that good writing is required to appeal to an audience and that's simply not true. What's required is the sort of content the target audience wants to read. What is SAO? It's a harem power fantasy which is always somewhat popular in and of itself. On top of that it's kind of a trendsetter in the "getting stuck in a game world" genre. It has the right ingredients to become popular but it's not particularly good written. It's actually pretty mediocre like most harem power fantasies.

In any case, I think it's a good idea that the editors are looking for other writers to produce spin-offs. While SAO isn't particularly interesting on its own right, it does have an interesting setting and backdrop that other writers can make use of.
Old 2018-11-28, 17:47   Link #5707
RDNexus

Harem Power Fantasy...with a more than clear OTP...

Yes, SAO is far from being a masterpiece, but somehow fell into the hearts of many at the right time, and seems to be going strong.
I also like SAO a lot, and I've been enjoying this latest series each week
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 10:04   Link #5708
sparhawk1610
Asura

https://imgur.com/a/UrDf55a vol 21 illus
Old 2018-12-06, 10:20   Link #5709
Kazu-kun

^ Full of harem hijinks as I expected.
Old 2018-12-06, 12:08   Link #5710
burst1000

I guess the scenario of the first colorless illustration is when Kirito calls Alice as Asuna with Alice says “So sorry that it’s not Asuna, Kirito.”
Can't wait for scenes where Kirito's trying his best for Asuna's birthday, probably the next volume and ofc, Kirisuna's wedding-scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
He says Kirito needs to come to a final conclusion to his relationships before explicitly referring to Alice as someone for Asuna to fight. She's an obstacle introduced to spur on the final step of their relationship because no one else up to that point was willing to fight Asuna for him. Alice has the "willingness to fight", not any chance at victory.
I agree with you. Kawahara stated he wants to write Asuna as a realistic girl and she needs a little more effort as a girl because of Alice. Therefore, I think Alice in Unital ring arc is clearly used for relationship development of Kirisuna.
In the recent interview (with Kayano Ai), he was questioned as aside from Asuna, which heroines he would like to write a story with Kirito. He didn't answer it, but he said he can't think that heroines other than Asuna would be Kirito's partner and harem won't happen instead.

Quote:
Also, you commenting on bias after trying to say Kirito cares more about his hobby than Asuna is kinda funny.
You're not the only one who think like this.
burst1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 12:21   Link #5711
choreprince

I know it probably won't happen but I don't know why he couldn't end up with Alice as well because if you think about it when kirito was in the underworld he was technically living another life so if in that life Alice fell in love with him which she did and kirito fell in love with her which he does although I don't necessarily know if he loves her like that then they could be together. The kirito from that life loves Alice and the kirito from his true life loves asuna. I say this because I love Alice just as much as asuna and so I'd love to see the three of them together.
choreprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 16:34   Link #5712
Hikaru8

If anyone gets to read volume 21 now i would apreciate a lot if you could upload a summary of the main events that happen in that book, as i know that i will have to wait a year/years to read it translated.
Hikaru8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 17:37   Link #5713
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk1610 View Post
Looking at the last of those illustrations, is this the first time that
Spoiler:
has appeared in the main novels as opposed to Progressive?
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 20:33   Link #5714
Rageth
Certified Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gaffney View Post
Looking at the last of those illustrations, is this the first time that
Spoiler:
has appeared in the main novels as opposed to Progressive?
She appeared in Girl's Ops, but that's never really been confirmed as canon or not. She was also mentioned by name way back in Volume 2, but nothing since.
So yeah, this is her first actual appearance in the mainline.

SOME people may be more interested in the illustration before that. The new girl's name is Kamura Shikimi, which may ring some bells.
Spoiler:
Old 2018-12-08, 11:41   Link #5715
l.kostas

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
"Thank you, Yui, leave it to me"

Volume 21 spoilers:
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/a...aled-spoilers/
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/a...nime-spoilers/
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-08, 23:16   Link #5716
Rageth
Certified Degenerate

Gsimenas on twitter was posting his read through of Volume 21, if anyone wants to go check that summary of his out.
It's still incomplete, and maybe a quarter of the way into the book tho, I think?
Old 2018-12-23, 01:27   Link #5717
AP24

Judging from the pacing so far, looks like first half of Alicization anime will end at LN Vol 14
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 14:51   Link #5718
Kazu-kun

Quote:
He says Kirito needs to come to a final conclusion to his relationships
Then Kirito should be the one to get a love rival to push him to make a decision, but that's never gonna happen so he has no reason to make any decision at all.

Quote:
Alice as someone for Asuna to fight. She's an obstacle introduced to spur on the final step of their relationship because no one else up to that point was willing to fight Asuna for him.
Asuna has always being clear about her feelings for Kirito. Introducing a love rival for her of all people is pointless. If Kawahara was truly interested in having their relationship progress, Kirito should be the one to have a love rival as he is the one who is still unclear about his feelings.

If anything, volume 21 suggests what Kawahara is actually interested in is setting up a 3P ending.

Quote:
Also, you commenting on bias after trying to say Kirito cares more about his hobby than Asuna is kinda funny.
It's not just his hobby. All his live revolves around the virtual world. He's even studying to get involved with the creation of virtual technology. And don't forget Yuuki warned Asuna about Kirito's obsession with the virtual world too.
Old 2019-01-05, 18:56   Link #5719
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Then Kirito should be the one to get a love rival to push him to make a decision, but that's never gonna happen so he has no reason to make any decision at all.
He's talking about making it permanent and "official". Alice is the proverbial last boss in their relationship. A final obstacle before the end and nothing more.

Quote:
Asuna has always being clear about her feelings for Kirito. Introducing a love rival for her of all people is pointless. If Kawahara was truly interested in having their relationship progress, Kirito should be the one to have a love rival as he is the one who is still unclear about his feelings.

If anything, volume 21 suggests what Kawahara is actually interested in is setting up a 3P ending.
The point is that Alice is set up like an actual threat. None of the other girls come close to her, but Alice is coming in at a new angle. She's the last obstacle for Asuna to pass over.

Quote:
It's not just his hobby. All his live revolves around the virtual world. He's even studying to get involved with the creation of virtual technology. And don't forget Yuuki warned Asuna about Kirito's obsession with the virtual world too.
He chose Asuna over VR in volume 1, dude. This isnt a thing.
Old 2019-01-06, 21:49   Link #5720
Sheepthar

Quote:

Kirito has always stated that he loves Asuna, they love equally, Asuna has given her life protecting Kirito and Kirito killed himself using Kayaba because of this. Kawahara is not going to make their relationship progress because he likes to write the Kirito-female, with the companion that always falls in love with him at the end, he also doesnt have the stomach to have any of the girls move on, he lost his chance with Ronye at the end of vol 20. The thing is, does not matter how manny girls fall for him if he doesnt love them back. Asuna is also aware of this and she is also upset that Kirito hasnt draw a line yet, but she knows the Kirito she loves would never do something like that anyway.

In the end the "harem" is stalled not because of the story, but because of Reki, because he likes to tease with the harem stuff while loving the Kirito/Asuna thing. However I dont think it would end in a 3P, actually I feel like something bad is going to happen to Alice and even if something doesnt happen, it would be way out of character for Kirito to be dating two girls, I mean the guy made a really huge deal of the kiss he gave to Alice sister.
Sheepthar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality