AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2009-07-01, 04:08   Link #221
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I've stickied this thread because in light of the recent "drama" of the last voting results, the time has come to look at some of the ways the contest is run.

Specifically, there needs to be some guidelines set for theme creation, at the very least when it is announced by the creator. For those who do not know what happens "behind the scenes" when a winner decides a theme, this is basically what happens:

Winner is announced.
Winner PM's me the theme idea.
We discuss various aspects of the theme (is it too similar to other themes, will people like it, basic "I want this, but not this" examples, etc.)
Theme is given the go ahead when we both feel that we have a clear idea of what the theme will be about.
Theme is announced, people rejoice, much merry making is had by all.

Here's where the problem comes in - what happens when the theme creator tries a more creative or complex theme? How much can we entrust to the interpretation of the contestant before it seems like an entry didn't follow the theme?

To that end, we need to establish a clear set of guidelines so that the creator can communicate their idea properly without worrying that he or she must constantly police every entry to ensure that the theme is being followed correctly. This will hopefully allow the themes to be more creative and limit the confusion that sometimes follows it.

Discuss.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 04:50   Link #222
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

so basically, we just need restrictions and some guidelines for setting up a theme?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 05:03   Link #223
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

This post is to answer some questions I've received about my actions in the Voting Thread.

1. It has come to my attention that P.G.'s entry also breaks the rules of the theme, if I were to apply the reasoning that was used for ~Eps entry (too many colors). This would mean that if I were to disqualify both entries, or reduce them in rank, that I would be the winner of the contest.

What happened that things got this messed up? Well it wasn't out of bias, nor was it laziness, or favoritism. Here's what happened - Human error.

In both Eps and P.G.'s entries, the extra colors (due to the subdued nature of the theme itself) weren't immediately apparent. Both myself and escimo missed the extra colors, it's as simple as that. By the time they were noticed, voting was well underway. In fact it wasn't noticed that there was an extra color in P.G.'s entry until after the contest was over.

There is no in depth review process that goes on during the entry thread. Each entry is not held to the utmost scrutiny to make sure it is following every rule. That would be exhausting for what is essentially volunteer work. The theme creator has their inputs, KiNA compiles a list using the Final Entry tag, and I give the list a look over to make sure nothing obvious stands out in the entries. If something does stand out, I PM the contestant and try to work something out before the voting thread goes up.

In this case it was just human error and I've already apologized for it. My "solution" to demote Eps to second and PG to first was because I felt that Eps losing first place was enough of a "consequence" for breaking the theme while still recognizing his efforts and the votes he gained. I know it felt unfair to remove the winning title so I extended the ability to partake in the theme creation process as a sort of consolation and apology for my mistake.

However, due to the fact that P.G.'s entry also broke the rules of the theme as originally outlined, my solution backfired. I've pondered what to do about this for the last few days, and I think the only fair solution is to leave next months theme creation up to the entire community.

I don't want to claim the title of winner, because I don't want to hear whines of my supposed bias. Do I defer to fourth place? Really it just becomes a mess of "what is right" at that point. The only fair solution is to let the community decide what they want to do for next month. In short, there is no one winner in last months contest. That is the fairest solution in my mind. No one is penalized for rule breaking, and everyone has a say in what they think the next months theme should be.

In the end, this contest is first and foremost about fun and improving your skills. I know at least a few of you felt challenged and had fun last month. That's the real prize. Getting votes, picking a theme, those are nice but the real reward is the journey from idea to final entry. It sounds cheesy I know, but it's the truth.

2. The SOTM will be undergoing a review. As the contest has progressed over the last year and a half, it is important to sometimes look back and learn from our successes and mistakes. The first thing on the plate is theme creation and rules. There are other aspects that will follow, and as always if there are any comments, questions, or concerns about any aspect of the contest feel free to bring them up in this thread.

Thanks.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 05:07   Link #224
Cierra
Pieces Of Me
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Cierra
In my humble opinion I believe the confusion every month's because of the theme so I'd suggest a more careful selection of the theme.
Since this contest is for every member of AS forums u cannot know who has good,medium or bad skills in graphic designing so the theme must be not smt complicated or smt really easy.
Another suggestion would be making a team of at least 10 people and when the winner is announced he/she should PM Solace the possible themes he/she'd like for the next month and then after discussing with the team coming up with something good.
Hope I wasn't confusing
EDIT; was typing the same time with Solace so I didn't see his message

Thanks to KiNa for this lovely signature =3
Cierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 05:12   Link #225
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
so basically, we just need restrictions and some guidelines for setting up a theme?
Essentially yes. My hope is to have the community work together so that a set of guidelines can be formed to make it easier for theme creators to communicate their ideas and make it easier for contestants to understand exactly what the boundaries are when they are making their entries. Hopefully this will allow more creative themes while also limiting the problems that crop up when contestants have a harder time understanding the rules of the theme because the theme isn't so cut and dry as something like "make a signature that includes panties".
Old 2009-07-01, 05:19   Link #226
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
2. The SOTM will be undergoing a review. As the contest has progressed over the last year and a half, it is important to sometimes look back and learn from our successes and mistakes. The first thing on the plate is theme creation and rules. There are other aspects that will follow, and as always if there are any comments, questions, or concerns about any aspect of the contest feel free to bring them up in this thread.
so the next SOTM's gonna be postponed?
or not?

Quote:
Essentially yes. My hope is to have the community work together so that a set of guidelines can be formed to make it easier for theme creators to communicate their ideas and make it easier for contestants to understand exactly what the boundaries are when they are making their entries. Hopefully this will allow more creative themes while also limiting the problems that crop up when contestants have a harder time understanding the rules of the theme because the theme isn't so cut and dry as something like "make a signature that includes panties".
well if majority agrees to change some rules and add some restrictions then it's fine by me

oh and I recommend that the theme should be explained at the first post of the SOTM- making phase, rather than the link so it'll be easy to find too
if not it's still okay

Old 2009-07-01, 05:27   Link #227
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
so the next SOTM's gonna be postponed?
or not?
The next SOTM will take place, with a slight delay. I'm working on the theme thread now, it will be stickied until the new Entry Thread goes up.

Quote:
well if majority agrees to change some rules and add some restrictions then it's fine by me

oh and I recommend that the theme should be explained at the first post of the SOTM- making phase, rather than the link so it'll be easy to find too
if not it's still okay
That's not a bad suggestion. It can possibly be worked in once the theme guidelines are ironed out.

There really aren't any rules changing or restrictions being added. It's more like we're creating an FAQ, something contestants can reference when they are working on their entry so that they don't have to constantly ask the theme creator if they are doing it right. This way the theme creator and the SOTM staff can spend more time on the overall contest instead of micromanaging every single entry for possible errors.
Old 2009-07-01, 05:36   Link #228
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The next SOTM will take place, with a slight delay. I'm working on the theme thread now, it will be stickied until the new Entry Thread goes up.

That's not a bad suggestion. It can possibly be worked in once the theme guidelines are ironed out.

There really aren't any rules changing or restrictions being added. It's more like we're creating an FAQ, something contestants can reference when they are working on their entry so that they don't have to constantly ask the theme creator if they are doing it right. This way the theme creator and the SOTM staff can spend more time on the overall contest instead of micromanaging every single entry for possible errors.
as long as it continues, then great!

so you're gonna make a new sticky thread about the guidelines?

oh and I also recommend doing some final scanning of final entries before the voting thread to see if they are fitted for the theme to avoid confusion,..
cause it seemed many entries last month kinda "slipped" so yah~

Old 2009-07-01, 05:47   Link #229
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
so you're gonna make a new sticky thread about the guidelines?
Nope, that's what this thread is for. The new thread is for discussing next month's theme. Which I just posted actually.

Tomorrow should bring some interesting reading.
Old 2009-07-13, 18:09   Link #230
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

I'm bumping this to ask that if this contest is still going on or not. I have a sig here to contribute and I'm just wondering if this contest has ended already.
Old 2009-07-13, 21:27   Link #231
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Look below in the non-stickied thread area.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 15:13   Link #232
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Btw when is the contest every month starting?
Old 2009-08-19, 15:50   Link #233
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
Btw when is the contest every month starting?
The results are announced on the last Sunday of the month (generally) and the entry phase starts as soon as possible after that. Exact time depends on how long does it take to decide a theme and theme description.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 06:37   Link #234
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
The results are announced on the last Sunday of the month (generally) and the entry phase starts as soon as possible after that. Exact time depends on how long does it take to decide a theme and theme description.
Ah, I see. Thank you.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:16   Link #235
Ascendancy
Mr. Fantastic

I've read up on the last few pages or so and before I go on, Solace; the signature your using has got to be the best signature i've seen by a user on here. Although, i think the "fantasia" ruins a it a bit; then again, it may be because i am not big fan of text.

-edit
i forget to ask, my signatures are well over the size limit of 50,000. Now, i know saving my signatures as JPEG would reduce their sizes, but it also ruins the signature itself. Small details are blurred out etc. I tend to avoid using brushes, instead I use c4ds, smudges and stocks for background. For example, the smudges on the left of the signature i am using, they would not be as clear as they are now if i use the JPEG format. Question is, i want to enter the SOTM but I can't meet this condition.

Last edited by Ascendancy; 2009-09-03 at 11:26.
Ascendancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:12   Link #236
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendancy View Post
Question is, i want to enter the SOTM but I can't meet this condition.
Then you cant enter. As stated in the first post of every SOTM contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
5. Entries must comply with Animesuki rules regarding signature size. This means each entry can be no larger than 500 x 160, and must be less than 50,000 bytes.
If you want to enter it has to meet this condition. And considering your current sig is over forum limits I suggest you change it before I do
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 21:06   Link #237
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I have a question: can posters showing their votes actually become a "natural form" of vote rigging?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 23:50   Link #238
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Please explain better..
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 00:09   Link #239
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I have a question: can posters showing their votes actually become a "natural form" of vote rigging?
Uhmmm... sorry? Pardon my ignorance but what's "rigging"?
Old 2010-03-01, 00:14   Link #240
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Uhmmm... sorry? Pardon my ignorance but what's "rigging"?
Basically cheating votes

Tags
contest, signature, sotm