AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-30, 20:21   Link #1641
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Pretty much. The one where the older sister maid delivers her speech was good too. That's about it.

This show utterly failed to live up to my expectations, which granted, were pretty high. The story definitely had a lot of potential, but the terrible execution of the anime ruined it and turned this series into a complete borefest.
This. The first episode was plenty enjoyable, I really enjoyed the character dynamics between the Hero and Demon Queen (an element which I figured would be a constant presence through the series), and the older maid's speech was indeed fantastic; but the Hero and Demon Queen spent almost all their time separate from each other after that first episode with only a few occasional rendevous (I did enjoy the dance scene originally featured in the opening song), and as for the things the series did focus on... well... I found the series by and large to be very boring, to be blunt.

I won't write off the franchise as a whole, though, since so many claim the source material to be better. I might try the manga and original novel sometime.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 20:54   Link #1642
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Well, great for me. I enjoyed the economic drama we got, and I enjoyed the characters. The fact he gets both the Demon King and the Knight is the icing on the cake for me.

8 out of 10.
Old 2013-03-30, 21:02   Link #1643
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well this went fast it seem it would of been better if it was 24eps but Big Sis was the best out of all of them

6.5/10 I woundnt mind anther season
Old 2013-03-30, 22:24   Link #1644
rickadams
Yggdrasil DJ

http://yggdrasilradio.net/cypher/maoyuumap.jpg Translated map from the OST scans.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:45   Link #1645
chaos_animagic

If only they didn't do the mass time skips... this anime would be way better (tho some might than complain it be too slow...)

They basically had time skip in every single episode of at least 2+ months (I think one of them was like 2 year or something)

As for another season...
I wouldn't mind if it was the exact same plot line but viewed and followed Hero's adventure.

Better yet... no Time Skip of more than 2+ months so we can see every happening without trying to figure out what happened between those times.

IE: Yuusha's adventures, Maou's teachings, Knight's training, Mage's travels, and more that includes Merchant and Demons...
If they had done it without time skip, the anime could run for more than 36 episodes... LOL

PS: loved that move Hero did and the expression Maou gave, LOL. (mountain)

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2013-03-31 at 02:58.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:12   Link #1646
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
If only they didn't do the mass time skips... this anime would be way better (tho some might than complain it be too slow...)

They basically had time skip in every single episode of at least 2+ months (I think one of them was like 2 year or something)

As for another season...
I wouldn't mind if it was the exact same plot line but viewed and followed Hero's adventure.

Better yet... no Time Skip of more than 2+ months so we can see every happening without trying to figure out what happened between those times.

IE: Yuusha's adventures, Maou's teachings, Knight's training, Mage's travels, and more that includes Merchant and Demons...
If they had done it without time skip, the anime could run for more than 36 episodes... LOL

PS: loved that move Hero did and the expression Maou gave, LOL. (mountain)
I wouldn't mind it if the Blu-Rays had shorts where it would be just the antics of Hero, D-Queen, and FK.
Old 2013-03-31, 13:20   Link #1647
justsomeguy

I have no familiarity with the source material, but all I can say is that I hated this show.
* We never get to see Maou actually inventing or discovering anything. All we ever get is her pulling something new out of that chest of hers and showing it off. And then (timeskip!), said new thing is wide spread and accepted.

* Going by architecture and dress, the human civilization is at late Medieval or early Renaissance level of development, yet they lacked basic things like compasses, windmills, and well pumps, which had to be invented by Maou (we never actually see her doing it). There's no way they could have gotten to that level without those basic technologies. It seems like the different nations have slightly different levels of technology (the Iron Kingdom in particular seems more advanced), but there's no spread unless Maou has a hand in it.

* More focus on the side characters would also have been nice. They're the ones either acting for Maou and/or experiencing the effects of her actions. Too much focus on the core cast makes it seem like they're gods playing Civilization while insulated from the consequences.

* Very long timeskips. The 12 episodes cover years (10?), and the timeskips cover multiple months. That only contributed to the very jarring way the story is told, and felt like the show was minimalizing the work and teaching that Maou was doing to improve the world.

* Finally, the story is incomplete. We're shown that the blue demons, northern nations, and church were still conspiring, and that they had guns now (invented by Maou herself and spread for unknown reasons). And then, the show just ends.

Score: 5.5/10. Very ambitious premise, but fails to follow through. This show was basically "tell, don't show" due to extreme plot compression, years worth of story in 12 episodes. I actually found economic discussions and Maou's teaching the kids in the first few episodes more interesting than the war plot that took over in the second half, and would have preferred the show spend more time on that.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 14:44   Link #1648
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

@justsomeguy I think only a year (and a few months) elapse in the 12 episodes the anime covers, otherwise little maid would already be all grown up.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 14:48   Link #1649
chaos_animagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I have no familiarity with the source material, but all I can say is that I hated this show.
* We never get to see Maou actually inventing or discovering anything.
Exactly... you would've seen some stuff of where she gets them if the anime showed her doing the teaching parts (to her students)

Quote:
* More focus on the side characters would also have been nice.
Actually... many characters are supposedly viewed as main characters if you saw their story (all we saw in the anime was Maou side)
Hero's Quests
Mage's Travels

If fact... I want to see the Demon's side point of view of what the world's like to them as they lived... LOL (I don't think they have this in the original story - they did talk about it tho)

Quote:
* Very long timeskips. The 12 episodes cover years (10?), and the timeskips cover multiple months.
Yup, crazy timeskip in this anime, a timeskip in every episode I believe (maybe except for 1 or 2 eps)

Quote:
* Finally, the story is incomplete. We're shown that the blue demons, northern nations, and church were still conspiring
The story is actually quite long I think, love this story, however could do without the timeskips...
Maybe it's because the story is too large they did a lot of timeskips so it doesn't feel stretched?

If I had to rate it... it would be 7/10, just because I like this story and maou, but hated the timeskip.

PS: I didn't read LN, I however did read some of the different manga versions and some LN summaries.

Edit:
Thought it was more than 1+ year...
Since they did a 1 year time skip (somewhere in ep 2 or 3 for the 4 step crops) than a 2 year time skip (I think, of where Hero went questing)
Than a few more time skip in between of them spreading the goods, building the church (you don't think they have the machines to build a giant building fast now do you?), and whole lots of traveling from places to places (remember, they don't have cars or airplanes, and Hero's the only one in the entire world with the teleportation spell...)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 14:54   Link #1650
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
@justsomeguy I think only a year (and a few months) elapse in the 12 episodes the anime covers, otherwise little maid would already be all grown up.
Nope, one of the early episodes, the characters mentioned that three years had passed. Also, Maou's students had clearly grown, one into the Winter Kingdom's finance minister, and the other into that soldier guy. Little Sister Maid seems like she'll stay in her role forever.

Old 2013-03-31, 15:13   Link #1651
kagato3

Quote:
* We never get to see Maou actually inventing or discovering anything. All we ever get is her pulling something new out of that chest of hers and showing it off. And then (timeskip!), said new thing is wide spread and accepted.
She's not inventing or discovering anything. she is taking the advanced knowledge from the outer library and applying them and after her first few surceases people were far more willing to try out her ideas.
Quote:
* Going by architecture and dress, the human civilization is at late Medieval or early Renaissance level of development, yet they lacked basic things like compasses, windmills, and well pumps, which had to be invented by Maou (we never actually see her doing it). There's no way they could have gotten to that level without those basic technologies. It seems like the different nations have slightly different levels of technology (the Iron Kingdom in particular seems more advanced), but there's no spread unless Maou has a hand in it.
she wasn't inventing these technologies she was improving them, they had compasses but she created a frame work that kept it stable on ships (something that happened in our world during the late part of the Renaissance), the idea of a pump wasn't new it was the design that was impressive, and I've never heard windmills being "basic technologies" since they are only useful in limited environments.

Quote:
* More focus on the side characters would also have been nice. They're the ones either acting for Maou and/or experiencing the effects of her actions. Too much focus on the core cast makes it seem like they're gods playing Civilization while insulated from the consequences.

* Very long timeskips. The 12 episodes cover years (10?), and the timeskips cover multiple months. That only contributed to the very jarring way the story is told, and felt like the show was minimizing the work and teaching that Maou was doing to improve the world.
the time skips aren't as long as you think about 2 years passed in the anime. but not likely more then 3. 1 year for crops, 1 year for questing, Then some months for the war that happens in the second half of the series.

Quote:
* Finally, the story is incomplete. We're shown that the blue demons, northern nations, and church were still conspiring, and that they had guns now (invented by Maou herself and spread for unknown reasons). And then, the show just ends.
thats because we are only 2/5 of the way through the story. Thats like complaining the story is incomplete after seeing the first Hobbit movie.
Quote:
Score: 5.5/10. Very ambitious premise, but fails to follow through. This show was basically "tell, don't show" due to extreme plot compression, years worth of story in 12 episodes. I actually found economic discussions and Maou's teaching the kids in the first few episodes more interesting than the war plot that took over in the second half, and would have preferred the show spend more time on that.
It may be worth knowing that the novel this is based off is pretty much all tell not show as it is just dialogue with a small amount of stage direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
[SIZE="2"]

Mage's Travels

If fact... I want to see the Demon's side point of view of what the world's like to them as they lived... LOL (I don't think they have this in the original story - they did talk about it tho)
Mage's Travels is a whole side story in itself and kinda covers the demon side durring the time frame of the first 2 books (what the anime covered)
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

Last edited by kagato3; 2013-03-31 at 15:29.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 15:24   Link #1652
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
She's not inventing or discovering anything. she is takeing the advaced knowlage fom the outer librery and aplling them and after her first few sucesses people were far more willing to try out her ideas.
So basically, the Outer Library is a plot device, and Maou is simply spreading it? That actually makes her sound like a worse character.

Quote:
she wasn't inventing these technologies she was improveing them, they had compasses but she created a frame work that kept it stable on ships (something that happend in our world durring the late part of the Renaissance), the idea of a pump wasn't new it was the design that was impressive, and I've never heard windmills being "basic technologies" since they are only useful in limited envirorments.
The key point is that the humans were unable to think of these things on their own, despite being a level where they should have done so already. As for windmills, they're said in the show to be more useful than water wheels, so they're obviously more applicable in that environment.

Quote:
the time skips aren't as long as you think about 2 years passed in the anime.
Once again, nope, it's much longer than that.

Quote:
thats because we are only 2/5 of the way through the story. Thats like complaining the story is incomplete after seeing the first Hobbit movie.
It's not that the story is incomplete (obviously!), but how the show handled it. Maou calls a meeting for the demon chiefs, and the northern kingdom is still conspiring, but then suddenly it's Hero and Maou back at their mansion having dinner, as if nothing had happened. This show has no idea of what transitions are.

Quote:
It may be woth knowing that the novel this is based off is pretty much all tell not show as it is just dialogue with a small amout of stage direction.
I would hope that the dialogue goes much deeper in to detail that the show did.

Old 2013-03-31, 15:34   Link #1653
XFire
150% done

Quote:

* Very long timeskips. The 12 episodes cover years (10?), and the timeskips cover multiple months. That only contributed to the very jarring way the story is told, and felt like the show was minimalizing the work and teaching that Maou was doing to improve the world.

In an attempt to redeem the franchise, I suggest the Comp Ace manga adaption.
Old 2013-03-31, 15:56   Link #1654
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
So basically, the Outer Library is a plot device, and Maou is simply spreading it? That actually makes her sound like a worse character.

The key point is that the humans were unable to think of these things on their own, despite being a level where they should have done so already. As for windmills, they're said in the show to be more useful than water wheels, so they're obviously more applicable in that environment.

No more than two years passed between Maou meeting hero and her return to the Demon World. I think 18 months was the limit given for her kingdom to not explode if she didn't show her face?

I certainly don't know where you got your three years from (wasn't it 3 months?), let alone ten years.

Quote:
It's not that the story is incomplete (obviously!), but how the show handled it. Maou calls a meeting for the demon chiefs, and the northern kingdom is still conspiring, but then suddenly it's Hero and Maou back at their mansion having dinner, as if nothing had happened. This show has no idea of what transitions are.
Because, if you somehow missed it, Hero can teleport over long distances. The meeting hasn't taken place yet. For all we know, word hasn't even had time to spread.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 16:00   Link #1655
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No more than two years passed between Maou meeting hero and her return to the Demon World. I think 18 months was the limit given for her kingdom to not explode if she didn't show her face?

I certainly don't know where you got your three years from (wasn't it 3 months?), let alone ten years.
Take a look at how much her students had grown. That cannot possibly be two years.

Quote:
Because, if you somehow missed it, Hero can teleport over long distances. The meeting hasn't taken place yet. For all we know, word hasn't even had time to spread.
And your point being? How does that affect the show just threw those events out there at the last minute, then the main characters just ate dinner as if nothing had changed?

Old 2013-03-31, 16:04   Link #1656
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Take a look at how much her students had grown. That cannot possibly be two years.
They came to her as young men, and they left as young men. I don't see a problem.

Quote:
And your point being?
My point is that it's meaningless that she's back in her mansion. It doesn't mean that the meeting took place or that the conspiracy was resolved off-screen. It just means she decided to have a meal in her mansion.
Old 2013-03-31, 16:06   Link #1657
SQA

Btw, someone taking a high ministry position in the 17-19 age range unfortunately wasn't uncommon during that era. Nepotism has its problems.

I figured I'd point that out.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 16:24   Link #1658
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They came to her as young men, and they left as young men. I don't see a problem.
Only two years of learning (the first time we see them, they are very naive and idealistic), and then straight to government office and military command, with the countries' survivals at stake. SQA's point about nepotism is one thing, but one would think that if one's nation is sandwiched between unfriendly people to the north, and demons to the south, one would put more experienced people in charge.

Quote:
My point is that it's meaningless that she's back in her mansion. It doesn't mean that the meeting took place or that the conspiracy was resolved off-screen. It just means she decided to have a meal in her mansion.
Nobody is saying that everything was resolved offscreen, no idea where you got that idea from. Of course, your own words would mean that it's a meaningless ending, and the writers chose a poor place to stop, right when things are about to pick up.

Old 2013-03-31, 16:57   Link #1659
kagato3

Quote:
Depends on how you define worse. Yes the Library is a plot device that gives her access to vast amounts of useful knowlage but she still had want to make a change and spend decades takeing the time to come up with a workable plan to end the war.
Quote:
Indecations is that the winter nation is fairly young. Just because they are more applicable in that environment doesn't mean they will spring into existance the second someone setales the region.
As I said about the improvment for the compass it was developed in our world at an even later time and this world doesn't have the same level of incentive to improve sea trade that prompted it in ours.
Quote:
lets see.
ep 2 timeskip of a few weeks to month or so
ep 3 starts 3 months, nine days later, hero leaves on quest
ep 5 1 year after ep 3
ep 6 under a month from ep 5 winter
ep 7 unknown timeskip but it is the end of summer not likely to have been over a year. so 6 months?
ep 12 first snows of winter

unless there was a long skip between books it looks around 3 years max.
Quote:
Did you skip over the obious epilouge there and go right to the credits? It will take weeks to months to gather a meeting like that and its not like she can't be back there in seconds via teleport so she returned to where her friends and other plans are in the meantime.
Quote:
I would hope that the dialogue goes much deeper in to detail that the show did.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 17:24   Link #1660
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Only two years of learning (the first time we see them, they are very naive and idealistic), and then straight to government office and military command, with the countries' survivals at stake. SQA's point about nepotism is one thing, but one would think that if one's nation is sandwiched between unfriendly people to the north, and demons to the south, one would put more experienced people in charge.
Soldier Youth was the chief of a patrol that wasn't expected to see action. (They thought the only fighting would be coming from the North where Female Knight was.)

Noble Youth has officially even less. He's in the North socializing with high society, but I'm not sure he really has a job.

Merchant Youth is the only one with a high position, but he only got it after proving what an advantage it was to have received an education from Crimson Scholar. (And Winter Nation was starved for good men to start with. Before he came, it looked like the government was the King, Archer Geezer, and one guy...)

Quote:
Nobody is saying that everything was resolved offscreen, no idea where you got that idea from.
You're the one who has a problem with her going back to eat because there's a conspiracy afoot and a meeting planned.

Quote:
Of course, your own words would mean that it's a meaningless ending,
You're being disingenuous.

Quote:
and the writers chose a poor place to stop, right when things are about to pick up.
Which makes it a good place, as such things go. Plenty of sequel hooks, but the conflicts that arose during S1 were resolved.

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem