Notices

Old 2014-10-06, 20:58   Link #261
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

That orange nympho will be the first one to die :V
Old 2014-10-06, 21:01   Link #262
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Death lottery already? I can Zola being the first of the pilots to bite as well.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:05   Link #263
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well the begining was quite hopeful then it turn dark very fast
Old 2014-10-06, 21:06   Link #264
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I almost threw up while reading some of those ANN "reviews" if one can call them that.

How dare they show something shocking in my Japanese cartoons!

It's not like the show is condoning rape or sexual molestation, and it certainly isn't glorifying it. That scene was all about Ange hitting bottom after losing everything, her position, her mother, her identity and her dignity. The rape was used, as it is in real life, as a way of showing the victim how utterly powerless they are, it's a way for the rapist to exert control over their victim. The context in which it was used was OK imho, as a story telling tool. Some folks just have to take off the SJW glasses.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:13   Link #265
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
certainly isn't glorifying it
AHAHAHAHAHA

No

They could actually present the rape as much more horrifying by not focusing to the nudity aspect. But no, the scene composition were made for titillation. Because sex sell
Old 2014-10-06, 21:14   Link #266
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
I almost threw up while reading some of those ANN "reviews" if one can call them that.
Everyone has their own opinions, and it's not like they don't have a point.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:15   Link #267
Darthtabby

ANN's reviewers have a tendency to get up in arms over nothing at times (some of their early reactions to B Gata H Kei come to mind) but here I'm less inclined to be critical since the ending of this episode was pretty exploitative. It may have served some purpose in the larger story but I think the people who are claiming it wasn't being played for fan service are in denial. Its pretty blatantly being played for fan service.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 21:16   Link #268
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I decided to give this series a watch because of all the cavity search controversy and I safely say NO THIS WAS NOT F**KING RAPE! This was a cavity search and the patient was emotionally distressed, there is a difference! I- I'm done.

*walks away*

*walks back*

Oh yeah and the main mecha even moves like the Strike Freedom. And the setting looks like Mai-Otome. And it looks like this will not be essentially the one-gendered cast the promoted material gave us.

Also Ange did not seem as "horrible" as y'all are making her out to be, seemed more like she was just insensitive due to buying into national propaganda. I have seen FAR more despicable and unlikeable characters than her (Revy from Black Lagoon comes to mind).
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 21:20   Link #269
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I actually sympathize with Ange

She was raised that way, in a sheltered life where everything around her life was a carefully constructed lie. This is racism on par if not worse than the age of dark skinned slaves, people like ange is dime a dozen.

Her downfall and subsequent effort of climbing back from the abyss is what made me keep watching
Old 2014-10-06, 21:26   Link #270
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Am I in the wrong because I felt the scene was effective in getting it's point across. The feeling I got from it was, to put it lightly, Ange is in a s#it situation. She's lost everything even her name. She's got nothing. Some people feel that the shot of her ass wiggling was unnecessary, but she was trying to get away. How they handle the aftermath will be interesting. From that one preview in which the writer saw the first half of the second episode they don't touch on it, but that doesn't mean they're not going to. And if they don't then criticize as you see fit.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:29   Link #271
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
This is racism
I see more of a parallel with homophobia, personally.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:30   Link #272
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
I decided to give this series a watch because of all the cavity search controversy and I safely say NO THIS WAS NOT F**KING RAPE! This was a cavity search and the patient was emotionally distressed, there is a difference! I- I'm done.
You do know Jill's the supreme commander of the island, right? There's only one reason she goes out of her way to do "cavity search" on new inmates.

And Ange was more than just distressed. She was terrified. And they not only did this "cavity search" to her. They also beat her up and brutalized her.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:33   Link #273
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

If she did it for kicks her body language gave the impression she was extremely uncaring and neutral (even her voice didn't seem remotely enthused).
Old 2014-10-06, 21:34   Link #274
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
I see more of a parallel with homophobia, personally.
Slaves were commodity, see where I'm going?
Old 2014-10-06, 21:35   Link #275
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

In the subs I saw it was called a "physical."

@Duel That's why I'm interested to see what made her this way.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:37   Link #276
n0m@n
C-Z

Jill who is a Norma herself act more violent towards Ange than Emma(who isn't a Norma). The character description did say she treats Ange worse among the other Normas. Maybe she has some grudge agaisnt the empire of Misurugi and the royals(and maybe it also has to do with her metal arm)?
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 21:38   Link #277
Kazu-kun

Quote:
If she did it for kicks her body language gave the impression she was extremely uncaring and neutral (even her voice didn't seem remotely enthused).
I don't think she does it for kicks. Remember she's a Norma herself, yet she was brutalizing and humiliating Ange for being a Norma. Clearly she has some serious issues. She seems to be projecting some sort of self-loathing, or perhaps she has something against her family.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:43   Link #278
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I don't think she does for kicks. I think she has her own trauma. Remember she's a Norma herself, yet she was brutalizing Ange and humiliating for being a Norma. Clearly she has some serious issues.
Possibly doing it in order to make Ange accept that she is Norma? Pissed that a member of the royal family that lets the status quo treatment of Norma fly was actually a Norma all along? Maybe she's just accepted that this is the way her life is after years of going through some things? We don't know yet, that's why I'm hoping the show goes deeper into it.

Edit: I will say she seemed somewhat amused when she told Ange to come and take back her belongings.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:48   Link #279
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Possibly doing it in order to make Ange accept that she is Norma?
Well, she didn't need to rape her to get the point across, but perhaps that's just the writer trying to be edgy (and failing miserably).

Either way, I don't care for Jill's reasons. She crossed the line as far as I'm concerned, so I just want her to get eaten by a dragon.
Old 2014-10-06, 21:51   Link #280
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Just Jill and not the entire Empire?

Tags
fanservice, mecha, ps vita, romance