Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-09, 03:38   Link #41
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Even if it's only the English team, methinks the entire UK will be behind it.
We all hate each other so not likely. =P
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 03:43   Link #42
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You guys surely will get some support around there if you play against France
Old 2010-06-09, 03:52   Link #43
BigSky
Death & Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But put some trust into your coach lol
If could understand spanish you surely hate him, the way he talks/acts it's irritating xD

Oh if you were talking about Maxi Rodriguez of course he's a great player
Old 2010-06-09, 03:55   Link #44
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

People are seriously expecting the opening match around here.

Pretty much everything on Tv. has been soccer related as of late too.
Old 2010-06-09, 04:13   Link #45
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Erm they've won Euro '88.
Still bitter about 2006?
I complete forget that...
Ha ha ha, lemme rephrase that.
Holland, eventhough they have exceptionally talented player every year, seldomly won a big tournament.

About Argentina, eventhough they have some great talent there, but it seems that Maradona can't fully utilize them.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 04:22   Link #46
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Holland backline not really promising... it'll hard to win WC on modern days without strong backline.

Btw I root for spain, it hard tonot drooling seeing 4 possession monster Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and Xabi Alonso playing together ;__;
Old 2010-06-09, 06:57   Link #47
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ambassadors bet on USA-England World Cup match

Even thought i want root for England in this match, there's a chance the US might beat England. Afterall, the US were once in the final 8 in the 2002 World Cup.
Old 2010-06-09, 07:37   Link #48
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. It's like families, we bicker within ourselves, but when facing an 'enemy' from ourside of our realm, we stick together.

Even in UEFA matches, team wise, if an English team makes it to the finals against the other Europeans, be sure that we support that team as part of the UK.
Now against our 'cousins' across the pond, you can be damn sure as a pride of the country of the 'beautiful game' vs 'american football' and all the other UK vs USA wars that we have (right down to our language)
This match will be something fierce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Looks like we'll be enemies on that day then I'll be rooting for the USA not only because I'm part American (just this once), but also because I have faith in them considering they played brilliantly in the last world-cup and broke Spain's longest win streak a few years later. I'm pretty sure they'll have some surprises up their sleeves. The UK has been one of the leading European teams, so it would be nice for the underdogs to have the first taste of victory in this instance.
I expect to be enimies of all Americans come Saturday (including all my friends and relatives)

Sadly, I just found out that half the games (inc this one) will air at 2.30am in Japan.
I cannot watch or follow this torny as faithfully as I'd love to, the quarter/semi and finals will air around midnight or 2.30am as well...
(So much for hanging around a pub in Shinjuku with fellow fans and so on)

I'm actually homesick for London now as this is my first WC outside of the UK, in a timezone that is completely useless...
*sighs depressingly*

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 07:55   Link #49
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Exactly. It's like families, we bicker within ourselves, but when facing an 'enemy' from ourside of our realm, we stick together.
Meh, methinks the English become "British" only when it suits them. In any case, it's not as though there's much choice: Scotland or Wales are not in the final 32.

Quote:
Now against our 'cousins' across the pond, you can be damn sure as a pride of the country of the 'beautiful game' vs 'american football' and all the other UK vs USA wars that we have (right down to our language)
Ahem, England, not UK, v USA.

That said, me part of the Commonwealth. I like the US only half as much as England, so...

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 12:37   Link #50
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Even in UEFA matches, team wise, if an English team makes it to the finals against the other Europeans, be sure that we support that team as part of the UK.
Let's meet again in the quarters or semis - for another penalty shootout ^_^
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 17:19   Link #51
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Still bitter about 2006?
Not just, before that even. Portugal has a bit of a rep of turning mean in some matches.. lots of tackles, pretending to be hurt and things like that, which is why I don't like them =)

for me the game starts in the middle of the day.. a working day that is... too bad non of my co-workers actually care about football and I am the only girl in the guys group who looks forward to the euro and world cups... maybe I'll call in sick or something...

I'm surely going to follow the UK matches, Holland and Britain are in my must-follow list X3
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 22:30   Link #52
yoropa
Director

Not much hype among most Americans here, but the group I've been hanging out with is highly international as in exchange students and they are biiiiig into it, which is refreshing. Friday's opening match sadly is DURING my graduation. I think I'm sneaking a mini-TV with me. Or recording it and then watching it later, shielding myself from whatever the score could possibly be in order to watch it straight as if it was taking place at that later time.

I've been busting out all the flags I own for the teams I'm supporting... and I don't have an American flag despite being American. XD I think I'mma go buy one tomorrow (luckily they're the easiest to find)
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 23:53   Link #53
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Hoping Australia can better their performance of the last World Cup and make it to the quarters. I see no reason why we can't make it past the group stage - Germany will be hard but Ghana and Serbia are definitely matches we should get points/wins from.
Old 2010-06-10, 01:01   Link #54
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Not much hype among most Americans here, but the group I've been hanging out with is highly international as in exchange students and they are biiiiig into it, which is refreshing. Friday's opening match sadly is DURING my graduation. I think I'm sneaking a mini-TV with me. Or recording it and then watching it later, shielding myself from whatever the score could possibly be in order to watch it straight as if it was taking place at that later time.

I've been busting out all the flags I own for the teams I'm supporting... and I don't have an American flag despite being American. XD I think I'mma go buy one tomorrow (luckily they're the easiest to find)
espn has been doing a decent job building it up though, I can watch most of the games online.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 01:35   Link #55
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
I expect to be enimies of all Americans come Saturday (including all my friends and relatives)
You're telling me, I'm here in London and I'll be everyone's enemy here, so I kinda feel ya there

Quote:
Sadly, I just found out that half the games (inc this one) will air at 2.30am in Japan.
I cannot watch or follow this torny as faithfully as I'd love to, the quarter/semi and finals will air around midnight or 2.30am as well...
(So much for hanging around a pub in Shinjuku with fellow fans and so on)
But it's on Saturday (Sunday for you, I guess) so it's a good time to spend an all-nighter for the sake of the first game your team is playing. I probably wouldn't do it since I'm not so hardcore about it iibh, but if I was and I felt it was worth the note, I'd totally spend it out.

Quote:
I'm actually homesick for London now as this is my first WC outside of the UK, in a timezone that is completely useless...
*sighs depressingly*
Can't say I'm homesick for the US, but if it was Italy playing, I know I would, because if they ever played the UK, again I'd be the center of ostricism You're lucky you're in a place that's relatively neutral to either side that's playing at the moment (lucky to be in Japan at all O.O). Just grab a bunch of friends, get them to make flags and banners and camp outside a random pub for the night and you'll probably be able to rally a few people to your cause
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 04:28   Link #56
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
What is that supposed to mean ??

Btw, I'm rooting for France too, of course. Even if I don't like Domenech, I hope we will be able to do the same thing as the WC 2006

And tonight we will see the first opening ceremony and tomorrow we will have the second one.
Old 2010-06-10, 05:09   Link #57
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Meh, methinks the English become "British" only when it suits them.
Kinda reminds me of a joke i overheard. When Andy Murray wins: he's British. When Andy Murray loses: he's Scottish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
What is that supposed to mean ??
France vs Ireland?

Can't blame you for pretending like it never happened, honestly...
Old 2010-06-10, 05:40   Link #58
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:

France vs Ireland?

Can't blame you for pretending like it never happened, honestly...
Lol Like it never happened before Many team have done the same and so is England, Ireland etc....

And just for that kind of comment, I want to see your team win this WC and beat England
Old 2010-06-10, 05:54   Link #59
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Now that the Hockey is over I figure I'll switch over to this. Unlike everyone else around these parts that I know I find Football fairly interesting if a bit too over dramatic at times. Who to root for though.....I think I'll get on the England bandwagon for a little while and see how that ship sails.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 06:39   Link #60
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
And just for that kind of comment, I want to see your team win this WC and beat England
...Er who do you think I support?

Tags
fifa, football, soccer, sports, world cup