AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2020-09-29, 10:30   Link #1
zztop

13 Sentinels : Aegis Rim

Spoiler for Cover art:

Other title : 十三機兵防衛圏
Developer : Vanillaware
Publisher : Atlus
JP site : http://13sar.jp/
EN site : https://atlus.com/13sentinels/lang/en/
Release date : Nov 2019 (JP), Sept 2020 (International)

Quote:
Vanillaware, the storytellers behind Odin Sphere and Dragon’s Crown, craft a sci-fi mystery epic spanning thirteen intertwining stories.

Uncover the truth and delve into a 2D sidescrolling adventure featuring gorgeous art and environments. Then, battle the kaiju in fast-paced, top-down combat. Customize the Sentinels with an arsenal of mechsuit weaponry, and fight to defend humanity!

Key Features

- Beautifully rendered in Vanillaware’s signature hand-painted visual style

- Uncover a deep story through visions of the past and the future

- The doomsday clock is ticking. Become a Sentinel pilot, customize your mech, and fight waves of kaiju in top-down tactical combat
Gameplay is a crossgenre mix of adventure sidescrolling interaction, visual novel and RT strategy. Main focus (and praise) is for the adventure story segment. Story mainly takes place in 1985 Japan, but also features different time periods like 1945, 2025, etc.

Voice actors include Shimono Hiro, Tamura Mutsumi, MAO, Uchida Maaya, Tatsuhisa Suzuki, etc.

Sales initially quite poor during the Japanese release, but good word of mouth and endorsements helped propel its domestic sales to really good levels.

Lots of good reviews from Western gaming sites.
Thoughts and opinons?

Last edited by zztop; 2020-09-29 at 11:15.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 02:16   Link #2
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

The information management and coordination within this game has reached a new height never seen before in a video game.

It really brought me to tears that this level of craftsmanship still exists within the industry.
And definitely one of the few cases that I can say yes, this is exactly how a video game can be art.
It is this narrative style only possible in gaming format. Then combined with jaw dropping and eye blowing level of information management, the narrative finally become something that made me go "This is it1 This is finally it!"

Hopefully Vanillaware can publish their holy bible someday so we can all find out just how exactly they managed to coordinate all this.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 03:04   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I actually REALLY want to get this game, but with Cold Steel 4 this month I'll probably either get this after that or if it's on sale.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 03:40   Link #4
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
The information management and coordination within this game has reached a new height never seen before in a video game.

It really brought me to tears that this level of craftsmanship still exists within the industry.
And definitely one of the few cases that I can say yes, this is exactly how a video game can be art.
It is this narrative style only possible in gaming format. Then combined with jaw dropping and eye blowing level of information management, the narrative finally become something that made me go "This is it1 This is finally it!"

Hopefully Vanillaware can publish their holy bible someday so we can all find out just how exactly they managed to coordinate all this.
The narrative is somewhat reminiscent of TV shows like Westworld, whose S1-2 had a number of multiple timeline plots throughout its run.

Speaking of narrative style, could the story and narrative be ideal for adaptation to anime format?
Old 2020-09-30, 04:24   Link #5
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
The narrative is somewhat reminiscent of TV shows like Westworld, whose S1-2 had a number of multiple timeline plots throughout its run.

Speaking of narrative style, could the story and narrative be ideal for adaptation to anime format?
No, one reason this narrative works so well is because you can choose where you start and the order you play them. With the way the information are gated and how it baits the player, it managed to creates multiple version if misdirection base on the order the player chooses to proceed.
Especially with the power of first impression. It really can affect the player's interpretation of a character.
The information is craftily gated that dispite I pretty much figure out the truth behind the mystery by about 60% into the story. The game still manages to bait me by turning to the puzzle format, in which you know the final picture but still want to know how the pieces are laid.
Old 2020-09-30, 05:47   Link #6
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
No, one reason this narrative works so well is because you can choose where you start and the order you play them. With the way the information are gated and how it baits the player, it managed to creates multiple version if misdirection base on the order the player chooses to proceed.
Especially with the power of first impression. It really can affect the player's interpretation of a character.
The information is craftily gated that dispite I pretty much figure out the truth behind the mystery by about 60% into the story. The game still manages to bait me by turning to the puzzle format, in which you know the final picture but still want to know how the pieces are laid.
Ah well, one can dream.

That being said, apparently Dengeki Comics released a manga anthology of 13 Sentinels. Looks to be a SOL anthology.
https://www.kadokawa.co.jp/product/322005000576/

Maybe given time, they might order a manga adapation of the game story itself. Like how Atelier Ryza just got a manga.

Last edited by zztop; 2020-09-30 at 06:23.
Old 2020-10-19, 03:41   Link #7
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Oh yes! Oh yessss!!!! Vanilla Ware is going to release their holy bible on November!!!
YESYESYESYES!!!!!!!
Old 2020-10-29, 20:42   Link #8
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Honestly I don't know if this story could work in any other way then as a game. The time you can spend and spend as you please makes it work. You can have everyone be their own main character because you can take time after switching to settle in and easily check on little details.

And work it did. Honestly this was legitimately a great game. One of the better ones we've gotten this year. The story and how they told it just works. There's always a layer of mystery in wondering what is going on and having to re-assess what you believe about this show.

Maybe not my absolute favorite of the year, but absolutely in the conversation. This was just excellent.
Old 2020-11-26, 01:45   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Game is like $40 right now on sale. Yay or nay?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-26, 15:05   Link #10
The Green One

Amazon has this game on a black friday sale for $30 off. I just ordered it.

I really enjoyed Odin Sphere made by this company and while I've never played Dragon's Crown I've heard good things about this one's story.
Old 2020-11-28, 22:24   Link #11
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Game is like $40 right now on sale. Yay or nay?
Yay. Its worth the price.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote