AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-01-03, 20:07   Link #61
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I always like Palpatine even before the new trilogy pointed out he was just a politician from Naboo. His dialog to Luke was great I thought.

Along the Sith theme Darth Malek from KOTOR. Always remembered the scene when he orbital bombards the planet reducing a city planet like Coruscant to nothing more then smoking twisted ruins because he couldn't find one guy. The end of the game was pretty good too from what I vaguely remember.

Oh in SWTOR for those that have reached lvl 50 and Ilum, when you learn what a particular character
Spoiler for Name:
has done and that all the stuff you've done in the game so far has more or less secured his position so he could make his move, your left feeling... Completely used, was so disappointed in him. But it was really well written, that and my character was somewhat sympathic to his motives to a point.

Irenicus from BG2, tbh I can't remember why he was a good villain just that he was and many others seem to agree.

Mmm loved the Shivans from FreeSpace, they were like some omniesecent foe almost. They were great as a collective enemy. But I didn't think they were doing what they did to prevent other races interfearing with other races (like the ancients). It was more just to stop other races using sub-space and reaching their level.

For a moronic bad guy entity... Umbrella Corp. Bunch of Morons.
Old 2012-01-03, 20:47   Link #62
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

If we were to include RL villians, G W Bush would be a good one.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 12:58   Link #63
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
^ don't you mean Dick Cheney?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 13:18   Link #64
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
^ don't you mean Dick Cheney?
I think you meant Darth Cheney
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 16:10   Link #65
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
To be honest with you guys, this Darth business is getting on my nerves although the Darth Cheney is .

You know who is a good villain, Nurse Ratchett from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. She was the perfect foil to McMurphy, she may not have supernatural powers but her insistence on order and her overall tyrannical nature makes her good villain especially in the book.

Did anyone mention HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey? I'll be honest that movie didn't make any sense to me especially the ending. I forgot what HAL's 'flaw' that caused HAL to go 'insane' but HAL was a case of gone horribly right by the creators.

Aki Honda form Narutaru, she was a one note villain in story but she is however a lot worse than any of the three kids in the story.
Old 2012-01-04, 17:40   Link #66
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

HAL's flaw was following conflicting orders.

One order: "the accurate processing of information without distortion or concealment"

Mission order: ...keep the discovery of the Monolith TMA-1 (the one on the moon) a secret for reasons of national security

How do you not conceal or distort information when you are ordered to keep something a secret from your own crew members (until they reached Saturn/Jupiter that is)? It drove him mad with a form of paradox loop. So to keep his first order with his second...the crew must die. Right? Right?? You can keep a secret and not distort things if you don't have anyone you need to keep the secret from onboard Discovery.

Of course most of that comes from 2010. Which made more sense than 2001. Yet I miss that we aren't at that level of technology, yet. It is 2012.
Old 2012-01-04, 19:06   Link #67
Niisanchan

I can't believe no one has mentioned any of Naoki Urasawa's great villains, like Johan Liebert from Monster and Friend from 20th Century Boys. Both are masterminds who have the charisma and the wits to control whomever they with to control at the given moment, and the Friend even has a cult, while Johan will convince you that he cares about you until the completely destroys you. Really, I'd argue that Johan is the best villain I've ever encountered.

Other great villains:
Hao Asakura from Shaman King
Spoiler for the ending of the manga:

Disney villains like Frollo, Maleficent, the Evil Stepmother from Cinderella etc.
The Goblin King from Labyrinth (because seriously, who can resist David Bowie?)
Ganon from the Legend of Zelda series could be listed as one too.

The list goes on.

As for failed villains with wasted potential... I can't think of any right now, but there are many villains who I think are just plain annoying and stupid, but that's just my bias. For example, almost every villain in Dragon Ball Z is as shallow as they come, with the motivation of destroying the world and enslaving the universe and what not. All boring as characters but not as fighters, I guess.

Also, Naruto and Bleach are like this to me. I dunno, but I've grown bored of the main villains in these series, and I wish they'd just end already. Especially Pain was a big disappointment, and it made me stop reading Naruto completely (I had been reading it irregularly before, but it was the last straw for me). Likewise Aizen can go straight back to Tite Kubo's behind.

But as I said, I love the mastermind kind of a villain if done right, so these shounen titles are not for me. The villain can't be too depraved and scary, or else it wouldn't be a series for boys (although Togashi is certainly not making his villains suitable for shounen, seeing the creepiness of Hisoka and even the Chimera Ants in the last arc).
Niisanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 07:54   Link #68
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I can’t believe I forgot to add this bunch to the could’ve-been-great villain list.

From Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, there are Two-Face, Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy. I mean, Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, Arnie as Mr. Freeze and Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy sounds like perfect casting, right? But something is wrong along the way (or I might say from the beginning). The script is too poor for them to act decent, let alone shine like Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger. Also, the director’s (Joel Scumacher) decision to make Batman & Robin totally campy is like adding insult to injury to those characters. That is a real letdown considering how great the opportunity those movies had with the cast (okay, George Clooney not so much ).
Old 2012-01-28, 10:20   Link #69
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

For the old peeps among us
Cold and heartless, a businessman without morals or concience
the guy we loved to hate:

JR Ewing
Old 2012-01-28, 15:38   Link #70
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

*searches the thread with "keyser" gets no returns*

REALLY?
We're talking great movie villains and no one mentions the fabulous Keyser Söze ?
Old 2012-01-28, 16:51   Link #71
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
*searches the thread with "keyser" gets no returns*

REALLY?
We're talking great movie villains and no one mentions the fabulous Keyser Söze ?
Who is that?
Old 2012-01-28, 18:35   Link #72
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Judging by the sudden change in mood Mr. Guernsey, I am sure the rest of your associates can tell you.
Old 2012-01-28, 19:40   Link #73
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Who is that?
Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Can't believe I forgot about that movie (The Usual Suspects), its one of the best around. The myths surrounding Soze is what makes him so batshit terrifying to everyone. It's like a good horror game or movie, these days its all about shock value and things jumping out of cupboards - kind of lame really, cheap thrills. For something to be truly horrifying, its better not to show it. Its better to hint and tease, a shadow here a sound there, and let your imagination do the rest. Those are the types of stories that prevent you sleeping at night. Which is what makes this guy (and the movie) so good.
Old 2012-05-10, 02:46   Link #74
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

After I finished watching The Avengers, I can’t stop feeling that Loki is pretty much rendered useless during the third act of the movie. After all, Hulk literally wipe the floor with him . This impression is maybe due to me not much of a Marvel comic reader so I don’t know what he truly capable of. The movie might already use all of his potential (Marvel readers may correct me about this), but I still feel that Loki is a “could’ve-been-great” villain. Well, maybe Thanos will quench my thirst in the next movie.

Obe, over and out!
Old 2012-05-10, 08:01   Link #75
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Lex Luthor (comic, movie and tv show version) is a great villain. Especially the Smallville version of Lex Luthor who is played by Michael Rosenbaum. Someone who does evil things while thinking he was doing great things and was saving the world. IMO this is what makes a very good villain.
Old 2012-05-11, 00:46   Link #76
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
After I finished watching The Avengers, I can’t stop feeling that Loki is pretty much rendered useless during the third act of the movie. After all, Hulk literally wipe the floor with him . This impression is maybe due to me not much of a Marvel comic reader so I don’t know what he truly capable of. The movie might already use all of his potential (Marvel readers may correct me about this), but I still feel that Loki is a “could’ve-been-great” villain. Well, maybe Thanos will quench my thirst in the next movie.

Obe, over and out!
In the Thor movie, Loki was very sympathizable. You can't help but feel sorry for the man.
In Avengers, you can't feel sorry for the man.... for being a constant punchbag.
Both mentally and physically.

I find him to be very likable. He's very human, misguided, but relatable.
I don't think he makes for a good "villain", but definitely makes for a good character.

You might like him better when he evetually grows a pair of boobs, and starts wearing skimpy swimsuits.

Now the purple-dude for the next movie on the other hand.... THAT's a threat.
Old 2012-05-11, 11:50   Link #77
Guernsey
The GAP Man

And then are villains like Darkseid who just exist to destroy the universe or something. That is not to say that Darkseid doesn't have a backstory, Darkseid's backstory was done inthose New Gods comics by Jack Kriby back int he 60s and 70s. I need to read those but it seems that universe conquerors like Darkseid tend to be good villains but flat characters.
Old 2013-04-01, 05:26   Link #78
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Now that Psycho-Pass is over, I want to add Makishima into the list of “truly great villains”. Makishima was a man of vision and he actually had a valid point regarding the flaws of the Sybil system governing the society. Furthermore, he is able to take absolute advantage of almost every “holes” left by the system thanks to his “certain nature” and able to use it to maximum effect. His plans are clever and would’ve been executed flawlessly if not for our equally-smart hero, Kogami, who figured out almost his every step, though can barely keep up. The best part is that he almost never went into the “cliche bad guy” route during the series even though he’s a bit in the “talkative” side. In short: he’s not f*cking around. Plus, his brain and brawn are equally impressive and he put it to good use .

As for the “villain who could’ve been great” this season, I think it goes to the Tree of Genesis from Zetsuen no Tempest. Ok, I know that it’s a tree, not a person , but it’s still the main villain nonetheless. My gripe about Tree of Genesis is that it controled the “world’s logic” but not using it optimally to its advantage. It’s too dead-set on its own rule to still grant its power to its mage and the Kusaribe clan who weren’t on its side anymore. IMO That’s equal putting a big mark on itself saying “Go on. You can defeat me. Don’t be shy."

EDIT:
I forgot to mention Squealer/Yakomaru from Shinsekai Yori as another “truly great villain” due to his motivation to save his own kind from the oppression and poor treatment his race get from the PK humans. Plus, all the shrewd strategy he used to kill off the PK humans who are a lot more powerful than him and his race of queer-rats are really effective and impressive.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-04-01 at 05:45.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 12:15   Link #79
FireChick

Great villain(s):
The Wolf from Ringing Bell
Johan from Monster
Dilandau Albatou from Escaflowne (ESPECIALLY his German dub counterpart!!!)
Kyube from Madoka Magica

Could have been great:
Too many to list.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 15:40   Link #80
Velsy

Lad Russo from Baccano would have to be my favourit villain in anime.

As for the bad Villians, well I cant really think of any, probably because tending to forget them is a natural thing.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote