AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-06, 13:34   Link #21
Random14

Not bad first episode, it met most of my expectations in a good way. Decent enough animation and I'm glad it didn't linger quite too long on the horror, unlike the manga which went overboard. If I didn't know this was a series, I might think this was just an OVA with the way the first episode ended. I'm curious how they'll adapt other things, but glad they added a dice sound at the end.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. I can put up with the horror for one episode, to show this isn't a happy go lucky fantasy, but fortunately Goblin Slayer has way more experience than those poor rookies. Not often you hear a medieval fighter use gasoline, and that's just the beginning.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 13:42   Link #22
RDNexus

I've yet to watch the episode, but rape is something I loathe with all my soul.
I sure hope such things won't happen too often over the course of this adaptation
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 13:56   Link #23
Tenzen12

Goblins are very rapey race, but GB and his eventual companions aren't that weak or green to experience that first handely. It's more of story punishing and stopping rapists (goblins) then showing off act itself.

That said it needed show up how terrifing and hateful creatures goblins are, even if they are (stat wise) weak and not exactly smart. So it never dissappear completely
Old 2018-10-06, 14:07   Link #24
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

Oh look, someone who still uses Yaraon! *throws him into the Goblins Den*

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 14:19   Link #25
Roxanne
メンバー

The anime is very good like manga. I will try to read the LN after finished the anime. Also, Priestless is so cute. She is really my favorite character in the anime/manga <3
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 14:20   Link #26
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Why not be innovative and rape goblins?
Ok no.

How about goblin genocide? Using creative ways to slaughter every week.
Old 2018-10-06, 14:37   Link #27
DemonneoPT

Ņot really a fan of the main girl design or the fact that she is so young. But other than that, i enjoyed the episode. It reminded me of Grimgar regarding of how brutal a common fight against low level monsters can be. One of the reasons i like dark-fantasy is because magic and the overall action is portrayed in a deadly way unlike most of other fantasy shows where you get hit by fire but not get burned. Here the consequences are real and you can feel the danger and the horror atmosphere into your bones. Luckily, the animation is kinda decent and the censorship is acceptable, so this has all the ingredients to be enjoyable. It will depend on how the story progresses from now on.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 15:07   Link #28
Twi

Recap and Review done. There were some details omitted and they did tone down the graphicness of the violence from the manga, but the manga ramped it up to begin with. I liked how they did the colors and made them stand out on the dark backgrounds too.
Old 2018-10-06, 15:12   Link #29
Wandering Soul

That was pretty much what I expected the first episode, which is a good thing. Going forward, it looks like they will tone down the violence and rape of the manga.
Old 2018-10-06, 15:16   Link #30
RDNexus

Sure hope so. It'd make me give up on this story simply because of that, despite it's supposed popularity...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 15:34   Link #31
Rnzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Let's see voice acting was decent enough, sound too and animation... well it wasn't Ufotable but I saw worse too. So far I am happy with adaptation.

Though for these who don't know original work I would like to note, first episode is probably most dark and edgy part of show. Story itself is more fun than just rape and slaughter. I promise.

Edit: And for those who love rape and edginess... well sorry it's not as "great" as you might hope.
Are you sure? xD Because as far as I remember like 80% of comments under PV on youtube and on MAL were RAPE RAPE RAPE. I suppose it's the only thing target audience of this show is care about
Rnzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 15:41   Link #32
Tenzen12

Well that's pretty sad indicator of anime fandom preferences, but to answer your question: Yes, as long as anime adaptation doesn't try specificaly catter this kind of people and derail whole plot in process, I am pretty sure.
Old 2018-10-06, 16:03   Link #33
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Your RAPE RAPE RAPE edgelords are no different from the people who watched Scarface and only care about Tony Montana "being a foul-mouthed badass and living the gangsta high life" and missing the part where he ended up destroying and losing everything. In other words, they missed the small nuances that makes the substance of the story.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 16:12   Link #34
Rnzlr

Well, ok than, let's see how it goes. I hope there will be more than just go and save another girl who was kidnapped and raped by goblins in every episode. Because considering that author made their party consisted with 3 girls and only 1 boy, it seems like plot device for the sake of rape. I'm pretty much the same as xrick in this matter. I mean if I wanted to see meaningless rape why would I watch GS? I could just watch hentai xD
Rnzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 16:54   Link #35
xeviouses

The mere fact it's being aired as a main stream anime should be enough of an indicator that GS isn't just meaningless rape. Rape is mostly used for impact and story framing more than anything, plus it's actually disturbing to witness.

Anyway...

It's here! My most awaited show this season. Loved how the anime used subtle orchestra-stlye pieces for most of the BGM but when it got GS himself the music shifts to something more fitting for a DOOM game. (Well he is medieval fantasy version of the the Doom Slayer except for goblins)

Though I wish they tone down the CGI when animating GS, some of his movements looked really janky.
Old 2018-10-06, 17:01   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

A dark fantasy anime that isn't isekai. That alone is worth a mention. And then there was all the rape and killing. Haven't seen a first episode like this in quite some time. It definitely made a strong impression.

If I were that guild chick who gives missions, I'd feel pretty guilty right about now. She knew it wasn't a mission noobs could tackle, she should have tried harder to stop them. But maybe she was the one who sent Goblin Slayer to rescue them after realizing they were idiots who wouldn't listen?

Goblin Slayer's design and way of fighting are pretty cool. Curious about his past, but I can pretty much imagine his mother/sister were raped and killed by Goblins and he's been dedicating his life to exterminate them ever since.

Maybe it's because I was spoiled about the rape, but I thought the scene where Goblin Slayer beats goblin kids to death was actually more shocking.
Old 2018-10-06, 17:11   Link #37
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Well, that sure was a hell of a first impression!

I did like how they seem to go deeper into the workings of the world than the usual fantasy, especially the part of how even the lowest of low tier monsters will destroy you with one mistake, and ok, the shock factor did get me, but you need more than what we were shown here to make it worth it, so its a matter of seeing if we get it or not.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 17:24   Link #38
bakato

The hook is practicality. GS is thorough and methodical in a fantasy world inhabited by people who often think inside a very small box and pay the price for it. This whole series might even be considered a satire of the typical fantasy tropes. A very smart one I may add.
Old 2018-10-06, 17:38   Link #39
wissenschaft

As a fan of the manga I'm quite happy with this adaption. It got the tone of the first story quite well, and I'm ok with it toning down the violence since that would upset some people. Also, the rape is more implyed rather than anything shown. Which is good as its not the point of the show.
Old 2018-10-06, 17:43   Link #40
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
If I were that guild chick who gives missions, I'd feel pretty guilty right about now.
I doubt anyone could be a 'quest giver' if they weren't willing to let stupid people die. At this point we don't really know much about the world (except that goblins are apparently the weakest, and yet there's an entire inn/guild/building full of people capable of killing stronger/more dangerous things (joking about killing low level demons)).

As impractical as this would be, could you imagine if every-time someone wanted to take a quest they had to sign a 'waiver' about all the risks?

Initial x to acknowledge and accept

+ risk of maiming
+ risk of mutilation
+ risk if xyz...

The fact that there are 'children' goblins suggests that if people in the world really cared enough it would be possible to 'extinct' goblins, but yet they don't really bother to do so (and by extension are perfectly fine with letting people get kidnapped and so on...)

The guild chick probably is feeling guilty and probably does care for the well being of others, but when you think about the practicalities of a job like that, the job really is a horrific one, you effectively have to greet/smile at people as they tell you how they're going to get themselves killed.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy