that is also my understanding... however
Spoiler:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 10:36   Link #242
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I'm not so sure that it's another two part... I feel this time it might be a bit longer...

actually now the cook "standpoint-less Kyohei" (his surname is so fitting ) seems to have some potential to do something more than cooking
Spoiler:
that's a very, very good point you put up there--the "logical" kanji conversion to the surname "Tachibana" is usually "orange." I didn't notice the "without standpoint(=no balls?)" pun until I took a glance at the ED credit
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 14:02   Link #243
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Hahaha!! I'm glad you brought that up, I would never have understood what that meant That's really funny! Now I want to see the next ep, damnit!
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 18:59   Link #244
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Kyouhei by far has been deemed as the most underrated character. However, I do digress that qualifying him as 'just the useless loser' is mere superficial judgement.

Kyouhei himself has some few virtues that deliver his sympathy, at least to me, since the first episode.
We know he's a pattisier that's got the 'gift' for homemade cooking. (Don't ask me about the gift, you just have to feel it yourselves) He has a dream to study abroad and improve his talent. He's no mommy & daddy's boy, because he wants to earn his gain by his own effort.

In the second episode, I felt that Kyouhei actually acknowledged that he's weak in both physical and life experience levels. He isn't the type of boy who makes much hassle and no action. While GONZO retains the typical traits of the loser boy on him, the writers have neither given him nor treat him (to my pleasure) the Urashima Keitarou stereotypes.

C'mon, How many anime loser boys have you known of that confess and actually acknowledge maturely that they are weak right from the very start?...

I think that Kyouhei, as the plot will progress, will grow up from a bystander-role character into a supporting character; probably will be there more for emotional support mainly and sometimes for backup. But, in no way, he was never intended to become a lead male, neither being fit into a harem; I do not feel like it.

I guess his experential development will take form and rise from the given perils associated with the girls' missions, witnessing real life situations in which you must take care on your own and treatment given to him mainly from Jo; snap out from your cloud, this isn't western film shootout but the real word, as seen in episode 2.

Probably, Kyouhei is given this wipe-your-ass doggie treatment because he still is viewed as a stranger within an all-girl family; 'xcept for Sei who had acknowledged him because he has a steady goal and wants to achieve it by his own, likely Sei respects that kind of attitude.

Anyways, to conclude I personally believe that by the end of the series, Kyouhei will become more like the Xander from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

He will never stand in the spotlight on the front stage, but hell yea, we're sure that he'll always be in the backstage watching things differently from both Meg and Jo.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 20:16   Link #245
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I don't think we can even say Kyouhei as overly weak, he's not really that weak, just that he's comparatively weak when put in the midst of four superhuman girls... I mean, even Meg who is arguably the weakest of the four girls, can do some miracle feat like saving Yoko by jumping off the rooftop and sustaining the weight of two persons with one hand.

Kyouhei is, by all accounts, a normal boy, and maybe even a bit stronger than the average punch bag by-standers, from his actions in episode 2 and 7. Also he can really cook some great stuff, so he has some special skills that's only his. I mean, if we compare the ability to beat people (and everything else) up, then no one can stand against Jo, but if we compare the ability to cook great food, then Kyouhei is the winner.
Old 2004-05-26, 15:14   Link #246
dreamless

wow, it seems Kyouhei actually got some chance at hooking up with Jo in ep8.. but nah, I'd prefer him to get together with that cute class rep.
Old 2004-05-26, 16:31   Link #247
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
wow, it seems Kyouhei actually got some chance at hooking up with Jo in ep8.. but nah, I'd prefer him to get together with that cute class rep.
Woah woah what??!! Where is the preview, how did I miss this?? Mine cut off right after the credits!!

Jo is sooo > than all those girls ;p

PS: We need a BakuTen gif thread
Old 2004-05-26, 16:38   Link #248
dreamless

not in preview, just finished watching ep8

BTW, such a nice avatar
Old 2004-05-26, 17:30   Link #249
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
not in preview, just finished watching ep8

BTW, such a nice avatar

I'm jealous I've only seen up to 6, I want to watch the raws but afraid I'd ruin the storyline for when I see it subbed.

I do love this avatar, heh, Secca did a nice job on it Is yours Nina/Anna from Monster?
Old 2004-05-26, 17:44   Link #250
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0
I'm jealous I've only seen up to 6, I want to watch the raws but afraid I'd ruin the storyline for when I see it subbed.

I do love this avatar, heh, CaSe did a nice job on it Is yours Nina/Anna from Monster?
It's not that hard with a show like Baku-Ten, where lines are predictable and repetitive. I can get roughly 70%ish of this show without subtitles. The rest are made up of educated guesses drawn from key phrases and the image on the screen I always get the subbed version when it gets released, just to make sure that I wasn't too much off-base with my interpretation--and hey, I'm improving
Such is the case with Baku-Ten, Melody of Oblivion(here we go again) on the other hand, like Konomini contains far too much delicious--for the lack of a better word--dialogue to be heard by my guess-timating ears. I wait for them to be translated and subbed in those cases. Althought that may change in the case of Melody of Oblivion--I'm working on getting the raws now because I can't take it anymore!! Damn the consequences of me misinterpreting things
Old 2004-05-26, 20:19   Link #251
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
It's not that hard with a show like Baku-Ten, where lines are predictable and repetitive. I can get roughly 70%ish of this show without subtitles. The rest are made up of educated guesses drawn from key phrases and the image on the screen I always get the subbed version when it gets released, just to make sure that I wasn't too much off-base with my interpretation--and hey, I'm improving
Such is the case with Baku-Ten, Melody of Oblivion(here we go again) on the other hand, like Konomini contains far too much delicious--for the lack of a better word--dialogue to be heard by my guess-timating ears. I wait for them to be translated and subbed in those cases. Althought that may change in the case of Melody of Oblivion--I'm working on getting the raws now because I can't take it anymore!! Damn the consequences of me misinterpreting things
I love all 3 of those listed I can't ruin my intial interpretations by al anguage barrier I have to be a patient little man and wait.... gahh

Plus if you're able to guess the plot from just actions, it's probably not all that complex...
Old 2004-05-26, 20:20   Link #252
taiitsu

ewww!! Kyohei and Jo????? After all that about Jo and Meg, that better not happen!!! Anymore spoilers??? Cant wait to get my hands on it!
taiitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 18:30   Link #253
Melazoma

Just saw Episode 8 raw--I'm left speechless by this truly action packed episode--just... wow

I'll repeat myself in saying that this was not as hard to watch as Melody of Oblivion when it comes to raws --I'm still feeling the trauma, refer to the Melody of Oblivion thread for that.

Dreamless may be right in the "hook up" prediction--regardless of what may come, one thing is certain, Kyohei is no ordinary weakling.
Spoiler for Minor snippets of Kyohei and Episode 8 notes:
If I haven't said it before, let me declare this now: "GONZO is 3-D & Cel-shaded Robo-Animation King!"
Old 2004-05-28, 20:04   Link #254
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Just saw Episode 8 raw--I'm left speechless by this truly action packed episode--just... wow

I'll repeat myself in saying that this was not as hard to watch as Melody of Oblivion when it comes to raws --I'm still feeling the trauma, refer to the Melody of Oblivion thread for that.

Dreamless may be right in the "hook up" prediction--regardless of what may come, one thing is certain, Kyohei is no ordinary weakling.
Spoiler for Minor snippets of Kyohei and Episode 8 notes:
If I haven't said it before, let me declare this now: "GONZO is 3-D & Cel-shaded Robo-Animation King!"

Why must you taunt me so!!!!! That's 2 whole episodes I've yet to catch up on.... rraahh, I'm ready to get the raws!!
Old 2004-06-03, 08:34   Link #255
Silent Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiitsu
ewww!! Kyohei and Jo????? After all that about Jo and Meg, that better not happen!!! Anymore spoilers??? Cant wait to get my hands on it!
I think they make a kawaii couple. Plus who wouldn't want a wife like Kyohei
Silent Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 09:27   Link #256
dreamless

wow, eposode 9 is no more 2-parter,
Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-03, 13:28   Link #257
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
wow, eposode 9 is no more 2-parter,
Spoiler:
I hate you Raws arent even downloadable anymore, no seeds!!! Is the subbing stalled on this??? /cries an ocean

PS: How did you have a 651MB Signature, Dreamless????
Old 2004-06-03, 15:31   Link #258
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0
I hate you Raws arent even downloadable anymore, no seeds!!! Is the subbing stalled on this??? /cries an ocean

PS: How did you have a 651MB Signature, Dreamless????
well, you could try some chinese bit-torrent sites, they have seeds for the chinese fansub which you can watch as raws at least

Spoiler:

Off-topic : err... I guess 651MB means 651K... well, seems I kinda went over the limit somehow... I did read the forum rules, but since it seems no one follows the 80 pixels height rule (include the one who posted the rules), I figured that I could test the limit a bit
Old 2004-06-03, 22:02   Link #259
oDin01

For those who watched episode 9. Was the movie Joe and the guy were watching based on a real live-action movie. For some reason those scenes looked familer to another movie.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 22:14   Link #260
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I got my episode 8 RAW, donno if I wan't to try watching though eeeek....