AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-01-05, 19:37   Link #1481
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
It is. For westerners, I don't even think StrikerS is preferred over the first season.
*Blinks* Where do you look for your information?

I keep seeing, when I look and ask, just how many people in the west LOVE StrikerS compared to the first season.

While I like the first season, it's slow, I enjoyed StrikerS a LOT more.

Though, I think it's universal that A's is the most well-liked.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 19:44   Link #1482
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
*Blinks* Where do you look for your information?

I keep seeing, when I look and ask, just how many people in the west LOVE StrikerS compared to the first season.

While I like the first season, it's slow, I enjoyed StrikerS a LOT more.

Though, I think it's universal that A's is the most well-liked.
Too much Animesuki, perhaps?
You will hardly ever see the first season brought up as "worst series ever" it is a common occurence with StrikerS. The people who love it, really love it - but it has a ton of more hate than the first season. While the first season is generally seen as mediocre to entertaining to *gasp* a fan favorite....StrikerS is either love it or hate it, for the most part. And that concetrated hate is why I think the first season is more liked overall.
Old 2010-01-05, 19:47   Link #1483
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
I still love both seasons though. And the first season ending is probably my favorite ending among all the hundreds of anime I've watched.
Same here. Not many endings made me cry (Simoun,Nanoha, Hitohira and Dennou Coil if I remember correctly), but the ending for Nanoha S1 is among the few I'm sure to never forget.
Though as you said, A's was better on many aspects, S1 was IMHO a great serie and I can only thank the people who brought me to watch it... Actually they forced me to watch it . But after Fate apparition in the show, I knew they were right (*´-д-).
Old 2010-01-05, 20:02   Link #1484
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Same here. Not many endings made me cry (Simoun,Nanoha, Hitohira and Dennou Coil if I remember correctly), but the ending for Nanoha S1 is among the few I'm sure to never forget.
Though as you said, A's was better on many aspects, S1 was IMHO a great serie and I can only thank the people who brought me to watch it... Actually they forced me to watch it . But after Fate apparition in the show, I knew they were right (*´-д-).
I cry at everything and I didn't cry at Nanoha S1's ending ^^;;;(Though Simoun and Dennou Coil did have me in stiches... actually I think Simoun is that anime that's made me cry the most... but that's a whole 'nother topic). But to be fair I only cry at things that are either sad or stunningly beautful and I just found the end of S1 to be very very sweet.

But I'll be honest I can't call S1 a good show. Mostly because everyone I've ever gotten to watch it had to be forced into watching the first five episodes, I like it but I don't consider that a good show really, the pacing's awful in the beginning, though it gets better. By the end it's great but the beginning's just too weak.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 20:08   Link #1485
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

The thing is, after the first four episodes, people tend to enjoy the first season a lot more. From experience, most people change their view on it once Fate shows up.

...And maybe it has something to do with the people we hang around with, because the first season isn't the one I have trouble getting people to complete... StrikerS has the same pacing problem, except because it's a longer series, it takes even longer to get into gear.

<3 you Nina.Wolken.
Old 2010-01-05, 20:10   Link #1486
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
The thing is, after the first four episodes, people tend to enjoy the first season a lot more. From experience, most people change their view on it once Fate shows up.
That's my point, the pacing is horrid, an anime should pull you in from episode one, I've had to practically tie my friends down with promises of "Just wait til Fate shows up, Just wait til Fate shows up" and really in a truly good, well written series you shouldn't have to do that and actually I've found it isn't until Chrono shows up that the pacing picks up. That's all I'm saying. Looking at it from a writer's perspective I can't help but let my face meet my palm at times, it just could have been done much better.

Which is why the movie has the potential for awesome.
Old 2010-01-05, 20:15   Link #1487
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
That's my point, the pacing is horrid, an anime should pull you in from episode one, I've had to practically tie my friends down with promises of "Just wait til Fate shows up, Just wait til Fate shows up" and really in a truly good, well written series you shouldn't have to do that and actually I've found it isn't until Chrono shows up that the pacing picks up. That's all I'm saying. Looking at it from a writer's perspective I can't help but let my face meet my palm at times, it just could have been done much better.

Which is why the movie has the potential for awesome.
I can agree with that, which is why the first season was lacking...but it brings me back to my first point. In what way does StrikerS pace itself any better than the first season? Episode 7 (was it?) is the first moment with true potential, and then it fizzles out for a little while longer, until it delves deeper into the true antagonists of the series, which leads to interesting developement for the main characters.
Old 2010-01-05, 20:18   Link #1488
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I can vouch this:

Quote:
From experience, most people change their view on it once Fate shows up.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 21:09   Link #1489
Lewy

As can I. Looking back, I can't see my self have watching past those without prior warning.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 22:39   Link #1490
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Can't I just prefer Strikers to the first season without having to explain why?
Old 2010-01-05, 23:00   Link #1491
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Too much Animesuki, perhaps?
The only reason my friends even bothered watching Nanoha was because 4chan does nothing but rave on how it's a /m/-based magic girl show.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 23:04   Link #1492
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

@Radiantbeam:
You can. It's easier that way.

They explained why the first season was mediocre to them, I only mentioned that StrikerS has the same issues. They love all of one, and dislike part of the other...I don't get it.

If pacing is their only issue, there is no denying StrikerS has plenty of pacing issues...

@Nanya: So, you frequent /m/? Yes, a mecha fan is going to get far more kicks out of StrikerS than a Mahou Shoujo fan. Maybe that's why it does so well in Japan. They are far more interested in mecha than most westerners.
Old 2010-01-05, 23:05   Link #1493
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
@Radiantbeam:

They explained why the first season was mediocre to them, I only mentioned that StrikerS has the same issues. They love one, and dislike the other...I don't get it.

If pacing is their only issue, there is no denying StrikerS has plenty of pacing issues...
'course it does, the writers really aren't that good at their jobs. But at least by that point you're into the series.
Old 2010-01-05, 23:15   Link #1494
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
'course it does, the writers really aren't that good at their jobs. But at least by that point you're into the series.
True enough.

Well, I'm ready to get back to the movie discussion.

Any objections?
Old 2010-01-05, 23:17   Link #1495
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
@Radiantbeam:
To be bluntly honest, I don't quite know why I adore StrikerS so much. There was just... something about it that made me fall in love with it instantly. The characters, the weapons, the atmosphere, the world, the bad guys. I was sucked in from the moment I started watching and never lost interest. Yes, the pacing sucks and the plot could have definitely been improved, but I love it more for the character interactions, relationships, and the feel of the TSAB and Mid-Childa as a planet.
Old 2010-01-05, 23:21   Link #1496
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
To be bluntly honest, I don't quite know why I adore StrikerS so much. There was just... something about it that made me fall in love with it instantly. The characters, the weapons, the atmosphere, the world, the bad guys. I was sucked in from the moment I started watching and never lost interest. Yes, the pacing sucks and the plot could have definitely been improved, but I love it more for the character interactions, relationships, and the feel of the TSAB and Mid-Childa as a planet.
So you basically love StrikerS in the same way I love the first season. I didn't care about pacing, or waiting for the plot to thicken...The characters struggle and determination to triumph against all odds and their relationship with each other...It simply made me smile.

Quote:
The characters, the weapons, the atmosphere, character interactions, relationships,
It's a much smaller cast, but I tend to get attached to one or two characters at most with each series, so it worked perfectly for me.

...The TSAB didn't have much focus in the first season though.
Old 2010-01-05, 23:23   Link #1497
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
So you basically love StrikerS in the same way I love the first season.
Pretty much. So when it comes to this, again, why don't we just agree to disagree and leave it at that?
Old 2010-01-05, 23:28   Link #1498
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

uh, actually I think that was us agreeing.

Quote:

Well, I'm ready to get back to the movie discussion.

Any objections?
Old 2010-01-06, 04:13   Link #1499
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I don't hate StrikerS, but I can't take people seriously who say it's better than A's.
As for first Season vs. StrikerS, I'd say StrikerS more enjoyable. Doesn't mean Season 1 is bad.
Old 2010-01-06, 08:04   Link #1500
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

That chart is hilarious.

What I hope from the movie is that it has better pacing, better fights, better start... the only thing that I want to be on par is the ending. I want something out of it I can show people without having to chain them to a chair until episode seven. If it can get neophytes into the series in a single sit-down watching... then all this will have been completely worth it.

Tags
movie