AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-14, 14:24   Link #24201
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
In between the live stream picked at 8,000,000 viewers.
Old 2012-10-14, 14:37   Link #24202
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
In between the live stream picked at 8,000,000 viewers.
Yeah, it started to lag, so I switched to a french news channel that was showing it.

Some of the french medias are starting to wonder if he really broke the sound wall...
Old 2012-10-14, 14:46   Link #24203
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Yeah, it started to lag, so I switched to a french news channel that was showing it.

Some of the french medias are starting to wonder if he really broke the sound wall...
For me (at London at the time) it worked fine.

As for the sound barrier, I think he didn't break it, when he started exceeding 1,000 km/h he begun to tumble, and then when he stabilized he had reached a denser atmosphere... but the live speed measurement wasn't accurate, plus the speed of sound is relevant to the atmospheric pressure, so I guess there will be a large debate on that.

I am not sure if he was on free-fall for more than 4 minutes, they hid the timer when he deployed the parachute.

Anyway, I am glad that all this waste of money did not end up in a live broadcast of another person's needless death to advertise an energy drink.
Old 2012-10-14, 14:50   Link #24204
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
For me (at London at the time) it worked fine.

As for the sound barrier, I think he didn't break it, when he started exceeding 1,000 km/h he begun to tumble, and then when he stabilized he had reached a denser atmosphere... but the live speed measurement wasn't accurate, plus the speed of sound is relevant to the atmospheric pressure, so I guess there will be a large debate on that.

I am not sure if he was on free-fall for more than 4 minutes, they hid the timer when he deployed the parachute.

Anyway, I am glad that all this waste of money did not end up in a live broadcast of another person's needless death to advertise an energy drink.
He was unable to break the free-fall time world record by a few seconds from what I could gather and the top speed one is pending analysis of the recorded flight data.
Old 2012-10-14, 15:53   Link #24205
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
^
THAT. WAS . AWESOOOOOOMEEEEEEEEEE
But seriously, when he jumped I started freaking out, it looked so creepy (+ I'm scared of heights. And falling) and I had just read about what had happened to Nick Piantanida back in 1966... I'm just so glad he's alive and well and seeing a few world records being set live was realy awesome
When Felix started to spin, i thought he lost it.

I laughed, when he said "drop the f***ing smoke!" - To see the wind direction on ground and where the ground team was waiting for him.
Old 2012-10-14, 15:56   Link #24206
Zakoo

Sound speed decreases the more you go high, indeed he didn't beat the sound speed of our altitude but he did it at his height.
Old 2012-10-14, 16:44   Link #24207
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, speed of sound is a function of air pressure ergo altitude is a major affective driver. I haven't actually seen any read outs on the conditions he went through.

But if he hit 834mph that pretty much breaks Mach 1 at any altitude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FA...-_filtered.jpg
Old 2012-10-14, 17:22   Link #24208
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Former senator Arlen Specter, 82, dies of cancer
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89D0CA20121014
Quote:
Resilient, smart and aggressive, the former prosecutor frequently riled conservatives and liberals on his way to becoming Pennsylvania's longest-serving U.S. senator. He was elected to five six-year terms starting in 1980. He left the Republican Party because he said it had become too conservative.
Old 2012-10-15, 06:35   Link #24209
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
As the government forges an agreement with the country's largest rebel group, we ask if it can end decades of conflict. And why would this deal work where so many other attempts have failed?

Old 2012-10-15, 07:22   Link #24210
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Match-making science wins economics Nobel for two Americans
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89E0KE20121015
Old 2012-10-16, 00:33   Link #24211
Tom Bombadil

This is purely embarrassing. Liu Bei, China's warlord who teach good management.

So this is one of a series of articles from BBC about ancient China. This particular one is about the three kingdoms, which appears quite often in anime stories as well, even if the burly man are turned into lolis. Anyway, here is an excerpt of the BBC story:

Quote:
According to Peter Bol of Harvard University, people still learn from it.

"There's a wonderful passage where Liu Bei turns to his closest confederates and says, 'Why do you think I won?' And they say, 'Because you're so great, you're such a wonderful general, wonderful this, wonderful that,'" Bol explains.

"And he says: 'No no no, you're all wrong. You, Han Xin, you are the greatest of all generals. You, Zhang Liang, you are the greatest of all strategists. You Xiao He, you are the greatest of all administrators.' And so on.

"He says: 'I can't compare to you in any one of those things. What I'm good at is managing men. I know how to manage people.' Which, when you think about it, is probably a good thing for a ruler."
So now Liu Bei talked to Han Xin even though they are about 400 years apart?!! Unbelievable! This is like saying that an apple fell on the head of Einstein so he came up with the idea of gravity.

Apparently, some people confused Liu Bei (刘备), the warlord at the end of Han Dynasty with Liu Bang (刘邦), the first emperor of the Han Dynasty. It is hilarious that they are writing an article on China, yet they don't even have any qualified person to check the basic facts.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:26   Link #24212
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

"I take responsibility" for Benghazi: Clinton
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89F01V20121016
Old 2012-10-16, 06:19   Link #24213
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond strike referendum deal

With a deal reached, in 2014, the Scottish government will ask the people of Scotland if they wish to be independent or stay with the United Kingdom. Both the Prime Minister and the Scottish First Minister are confident the people will choose what they support.

Doctors and nurses forced to pick cotton

What is wrong with the Uzbekistan government? First they had children pick cotton to meet up their quota which got them into trouble with the world for child labor which forced them to stop using children. And now they forcing doctors, nurses and teachers to do the picking. Are they so greedy for "White Gold" that they don't care if their own citizens suffer?
Old 2012-10-16, 06:25   Link #24214
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
It is hilarious that they are writing an article on China, yet they don't even have any qualified person to check the basic facts.
Since when was the Romance of the Three Kingdoms something basic for the British?
Old 2012-10-16, 06:27   Link #24215
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...guinty-resigns

Premier of Ontario, Dalton McGuinty resigns.

FFFFFFFFFFFF D: <

Okay, I really dislike this guy. But recently, he's been making a lot of changes in controlling and cutting down the ridiculously high wages in higher-up executive and administrative positions that are wasting tax-payer money. I was so happy about this kind of action, and then this. Of course this. He tried to cut down the wealth of the rich and he resigns before it happens. Sigh ;___;

After screwing up our province for years, and finally with some sight of a redeeming hope, it's gone.
Old 2012-10-16, 06:56   Link #24216
Tom Bombadil

@Sumeragi,

Since the phrase "do your homework" has been introduced.

Here is common internet joke from China to mock people:

长得丑不是你到错, 可你出来吓人就不对了。

tl: It is not your fault that you are born ugly, but it is your fault when you come out in public to scare people.

Anyway, back to the point, it is OK for an average British to be ignorant of the Three Kingdoms, however, it is not OK if he or she writes an article on the subject and publish it.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2012-10-16 at 07:12.
Old 2012-10-16, 08:55   Link #24217
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...guinty-resigns

Premier of Ontario, Dalton McGuinty resigns.

FFFFFFFFFFFF D: <

Okay, I really dislike this guy. But recently, he's been making a lot of changes in controlling and cutting down the ridiculously high wages in higher-up executive and administrative positions that are wasting tax-payer money. I was so happy about this kind of action, and then this. Of course this. He tried to cut down the wealth of the rich and he resigns before it happens. Sigh ;___;

After screwing up our province for years, and finally with some sight of a redeeming hope, it's gone.
I've only been in Ontario for the last three years .. and I actually liked Dalton McGuinty
Old 2012-10-16, 09:54   Link #24218
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
@Sumeragi,

Since the phrase "do your homework" has been introduced.

Here is common internet joke from China to mock people:

长得丑不是你到错, 可你出来吓人就不对了。

tl: It is not your fault that you are born ugly, but it is your fault when you come out in public to scare people.

Anyway, back to the point, it is OK for an average British to be ignorant of the Three Kingdoms, however, it is not OK if he or she writes an article on the subject and publish it.
Implying that no one ever makes any mistakes when writing an article

If you care so much about it, send them an email to point out the mistake.
Old 2012-10-16, 09:58   Link #24219
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
He's been in office for a long time. He screwed things up and made this province worse and worse (earlier years). It's only been recently (2 years?) That he is actually going in the direction I personally like. But now that he resigned, a lot of things that were promising won't be carried out.

Anyways, like or dislike, it's just opinions and concerns. I really dislike that he is resigning before finishing his recent plans. I don't know reasons behind his resignation, but I wish he remained until the next official election. I hope Trudeau or whoever might pick it up will continue doing something productive and beneficial to the mid/low class (personal focus).
Old 2012-10-16, 10:50   Link #24220
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Implying that no one ever makes any mistakes when writing an article

If you care so much about it, send them an email to point out the mistake.
Then they'll correct it, and I can't laugh at their silliness anymore.

Seriously, if BBC publish an article saying that it was George Washington who liberated the black slaves, or Nobunaga was an hero during the Meiji restoration, won't you think it is silly and should never have happened?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international