AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-11, 10:49   Link #301
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

*raises hands* Yeah, you got your point. Won't happen again...as far as you know.
Old 2007-05-11, 10:54   Link #302
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Wow...this episode has garnered the most replies out of the series so far.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised:
- a.f.k. lightning release
- Sheer amount of MMORPG references
- Character depth
Old 2007-05-11, 11:22   Link #303
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Wow...this episode has garnered the most replies out of the series so far.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised:
- a.f.k. lightning release
- Sheer amount of MMORPG references
- Character depth
And yet I somehow feel it missed the mark completely in regards to making me chuckle. When the funniest part of an episode for you ends up being the sound effect a character's sweat drop makes, you know something went wrong.
Old 2007-05-11, 11:32   Link #304
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
And yet I somehow feel it missed the mark completely in regards to making me chuckle. When the funniest part of an episode for you ends up being the sound effect a character's sweat drop makes, you know something went wrong.
Well, I felt that there was something wrong with the pacing, although it's not like I still didn't find it funny. Simply less than it could've been.

I think there was way too much moving around in the first part.
Old 2007-05-11, 11:43   Link #305
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I really think that watching LOGH right before it might have been the problem. They probably require quite different frames of mind to enjoy, and from the couple of eps of LOGH I've been able to watch so far, have totally different strengths.

Once again, you continue to surprise (this is a compliment). I was surprised you liked LS at all, then I was surprised you didn't like ep5, which I thought was at least as good as any other episode, even if a bit different. That long silence waiting for Konata to speak was, in my opinion, excruciatingly good comedy.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-11, 11:51   Link #306
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Anyone else notice the double-pun in Koan-chan's cousin's name.

She's officer Yuri. And she's straight. (although you might have a hard time convincing Sensei of that).
Old 2007-05-11, 12:11   Link #307
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Risaa, congratulations! Maybe I can take a trip and say "Hello" if I get some time off when I'm at Yamasa.
That'd be great, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
Anyone else notice the double-pun in Koan-chan's cousin's name.

She's officer Yuri. And she's straight. (although you might have a hard time convincing Sensei of that).
Her name is actually "Yui", and even if her name were "Yuri", if it had kanji, it wouldn't portray the same meaning as what you're thinking of...

I'm finding that my favorite parts of the show are when Kagamiya does the "iyaiyaiya" and her hand rapidly moves back and forth...
Old 2007-05-11, 12:35   Link #308
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

lol i loved this episode =P the mmo parts had me cracking up
Old 2007-05-11, 16:31   Link #309
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
We have dominant eyes? Dominant hands and feet, I know, but I haven't heard about eyes until now.
While looking at a piece of paper, hold your finger about 20cm in front of your face and mark on the paper where the finger appears to be with both eyes open. Close one eye and mark where your finger is now. Close the other eye and mark again. Your dominant eye is whichever you were looking with for the mark that is closest to the center.
(I think that's the test... been a while.)

I'm a righty for pretty much everything. But I've accustomed myself to use my left hand for some tasks. Switching the mouse every few weeks reduces wrist fatigue. Curious thing about that, a while back my index finger was getting tired, so I swapped the mouse buttons and have found it much easier to use the right button for primary clicks. Using other people's computers feels wierd to me now.

Quote:
Besides, the rifle she's using shoots either darts or ball bearings, and ejects nothing. She had nothing to worry about.
Most carnival games I've seen use a pump air rifle with a cork jammed in the barrel. It travels slower, does less damage if it hits a person, and has an unreliable trajectory which tilts the odds to the house's favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
My guess about Konata's pose: she thought that pose made her look cute and was hitting on the guy handing out prizes.
Though I can't say for certain without comparing against the scene animated the other way, I agree that it was drawn that way because it's cute. Even if someone brought it up during production, the response might have been, "It's not important."

It is kind of funny how Konata talked a lot about romance. While her idea of flirting is to frag the guy.
Old 2007-05-11, 16:44   Link #310
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's a rather pointed way of saying "I want you".
Old 2007-05-11, 18:41   Link #311
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Most carnival games I've seen use a pump air rifle with a cork jammed in the barrel. It travels slower, does less damage if it hits a person, and has an unreliable trajectory which tilts the odds to the house's favor.
Eh...I had the feeling that old carnival rifles shot ball bearings that are pushed into the barrel with a ramrod. I think I saw my father shoot it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Though I can't say for certain without comparing against the scene animated the other way, I agree that it was drawn that way because it's cute. Even if someone brought it up during production, the response might have been, "It's not important."

It is kind of funny how Konata talked a lot about romance. While her idea of flirting is to frag the guy.
I see how it is...a confidence test to check for a guy's reaction with a gun barrel up against him.
Old 2007-05-11, 20:24   Link #312
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Eh...I had the feeling that old carnival rifles shot ball bearings that are pushed into the barrel with a ramrod. I think I saw my father shoot it once.
~
They're trying to win the prizes they knock down, not destroy them.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-11, 21:50   Link #313
GriS

Being a mmorpg player myself, obviously i enjoyed mmo chat xD the best moment of the whole show. Tank and Mage... I really want to see them in virtual world, just like some part of NHK, and .hack series.

But I can't imagine myself playing with my seniors
Old 2007-05-12, 00:39   Link #314
darkjester
Desu Desu Desu!!!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to darkjester Send a message via MSN to darkjester Send a message via Yahoo to darkjester
lol, the mmorpg chat was HUH-larious... brought me back...

highlight of the episode though, was Konata singing Cha la from dbz... rofl...

good stuff!

k thxs...
Old 2007-05-12, 03:36   Link #315
lyric

Indeed, two things show that the director is changed lol and that is the only two things...
One is the scene of Tsukata gets increasing obviously, I guess the new director like Tsukasa lol
Another one is that Akira is not out of her mind finally in the Lucky Channal...
Old 2007-05-12, 06:22   Link #316
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
A minor detail I liked is how the colors of the yukata matched each of the girls, as far as their personality traits are concerned.
Old 2007-05-12, 11:15   Link #317
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

I was pretty interested while watching the a.f.k. subs, seeing them subbing lol from the japanese words. Noticed that the japanese "lol" had a w in it... and based on my basic knowledge of japanese, something like "oohawwww". So out of curiosity, does it have any special meaning or anything?
Old 2007-05-12, 11:53   Link #318
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptileex View Post
I was pretty interested while watching the a.f.k. subs, seeing them subbing lol from the japanese words. Noticed that the japanese "lol" had a w in it... and based on my basic knowledge of japanese, something like "oohawwww". So out of curiosity, does it have any special meaning or anything?
W stands for warota (ワロタ), which stands for the Japanese verb warau (more like 笑う), meaning "to laugh". In short, it means "lol".
Old 2007-05-12, 12:46   Link #319
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I really think that watching LOGH right before it might have been the problem. They probably require quite different frames of mind to enjoy, and from the couple of eps of LOGH I've been able to watch so far, have totally different strengths.

Once again, you continue to surprise (this is a compliment). I was surprised you liked LS at all, then I was surprised you didn't like ep5, which I thought was at least as good as any other episode, even if a bit different. That long silence waiting for Konata to speak was, in my opinion, excruciatingly good comedy.
Well with episode 5 I remember being halfway through and thinking "Uh Oh! This is not good, I should NOT have watched the LOGH first". I couldn't laugh after that, nobody could laugh after the arc I watched and it all came together in the end so well that anything afterward, let alone Lucky Star, would have pailed in comparsion. I should have gone to bed after that.

I give everything a chance though, even stuff I don't think I would normally like. The only way to learn new things (my goal in life) is to take chances by examining new ideas and stepping outside the realm of your usual tastes every now and then. If you don't like it, at least you've learned you don't. Only when I'm absolutely certain on something will I prejudge, but I'll always leave room open for me to change my mind and squeeze back into something (Like I've done with sola).

There's also good comedic timing (Bush has said something stupid and Jon Stewart stares dumbfounded and waits for the audience to finish laughing and applauding and then adds his comment) and then there's Kagami's (Also fairly good with the sweatdrop and confusion regarding the chibi Konata's bizarre behaviour), and then there were Konata's moments that seemed mistimed and I wasn't even sure why she was pausing.

The absolute biggest strike against the episode for me was the amount of potential (There are thousands of things you could do with the summer break theme) that were squandered and wasted elsewhere (The Yuri Jokes could have easily been done later on, and the gaming segments were far to short and lacked detail and humour. Barely any snarky comments from Konata either). The series managed to get more out of a ride on the train segment in an early episode, then it did during the entire summer break segment that was episode 5. It barely felt like anything special in the characters day to day lives was occuring and like I said, just wasted potential.
Old 2007-05-12, 13:27   Link #320
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Gave up and watched the a.f.k. sub .... comments:
1) the pacing was a bit slower, even more Peanuts-like. Also each individual sketch was longer (taking into account the more frequent multi-strip arcs in the comic).
2) The summer break isn't over ... in fact, I think I enjoyed the preview as much as the rest of the show because everyone is dressed fashionably (when did I become interested in fashion... aieee, sheesh!)
3) The Kagami segments did have the best comic pacing (e.g. fan sequence and festival sequences)
4) Tsukasa is becoming her own humor channel all by herself, submarining under all the louder humor
5) I enjoyed the festival sequence more for the visual appeal of the colors (the girls were all dressed to the hilt --- there I go again, drooling at fashion).
6) Yui was a bit awkward..... but then she's pretty awkward (someone above said a Tsukasa/Kona merge.... worst attributes of each ) Her high point was meeting Nanako (I figured Nanoko would be more flattered she was mistaken for a highschooler ). Kagami was still the prize of the Yui-festival sequence though with her aggravated asides.
7) This episode came closer to "slice of life" rather than "comedy" than any other so far... I'm reminded of the recent I.M. OVA 2 sequence which spent a couple of minutes showing Nobue washing her motorbike.

Kona's MMO submersion was okay.... necessary but not ultra-funny. Actually at the end it was more poignant with the unfinished homework withering on the floor. Enjoyed the style difference of the character chat. I tagged it as a bit of a reminder that the series is NOT "all about the funny" ... there are a number of poignant "I've been there" pieces in the comic.

The next episode will be more summer break focused it appears and may even include the brief beach sequence from the comic (mostly Nanako and Yui chatting with runthroughs from the other girls).

Lucky*Channel is really finished though for me... really really finished. I guess I'm getting aggravated because I'm plotting the remaining episodes and the amount of comic material they could be using from the 4-koma versus the residual humor in the L*C gag. On the other hand, Minoru is just a naturally very funny guy --- they should give him more one-liners in the main content.

For that reason, I'm firing my first "8" at the series. I would have given a "9" for the festival sequence just for the colors and animation richness even if the main content was a slower pace. Heck, I loved the "cloppity" sounds of all of them walking (having walked along with a bunch of happy chattering cloppitying japanese girls in yukata-garb at various festivals).

However, for the other reasons, I might have even gone down to a "7" but the saving moments of the episode allowed me to be more gracious.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-12 at 13:43.
Closed Thread